Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Slimnoid posted:

Stick an Inquisitor in the squad with that relic book that gives'em scout, stick'em in a land raider, and choo-choo up in your opponent's face like :whatup:

Amen brutha. I'm actually defending a manufactory with them so won't be advancing, but I chucked in an inquisitor with rad grenades for 3+ or 2+ to wound madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Any goons going to Warhammer Fest this weekend? Looking to put the hurt on my credit card with a shirt and that new FW book at least.

There will also be gaming tables there, which is interesting. I'm not planning to bring anything but looking at the site for the 'Fest today it was the first time I'd heard that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

Any goons going to Warhammer Fest this weekend? Looking to put the hurt on my credit card with a shirt and that new FW book at least.

There will also be gaming tables there, which is interesting. I'm not planning to bring anything but looking at the site for the 'Fest today it was the first time I'd heard that.

Theres tickets still available. Last years games day has really soured people and this doesnt look any better. Combined with Forge World having a rather weak offering of early goods and you cut out a lot of ticket sales from people who only went to get the latest Primarch.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ghost Hand posted:

Very soon - I THINK it might be available this weekend at the Warhammer event they are running. I'm not 100% positive about that though. Either way it is very soon.

That soon? Is it a standalone thing or is it still tied into Horus Heresy IV?

Either way, awesome news, thanks.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
After a long hiatus I'm finally getting a game in against the new Dark Eldar codex. I know I'm just begging to get shot to poo poo with ten thousand poisoned needles but I'm going to field some Tyranid MCs anyway. My only problem at this point is considering how I want to go with it. This guy generally plays for fun, but often times his fun is fielding three Wraithknights so I'm trying to balance things and make it moderately competitive at the same time.

Primary Detachment: Tyranids
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings

Troops:
12x Termagant 48pts
12x Termagant 48pts

Elite:
2x Venomthrope 90pts
Zoanthrope 50pts
Zoanthrope 50pts

Fast Attack:
Hive Crone 155pts
Harpy 140pts
++Twin-linked Heavy Venom Cannon
Harpy 140pts

Heavy Support:
Biovore 40pts

Allied Detachment: Tyranids
HQ:
Hive Tyrant 230pts
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Twin-linked Devourer
++Wings

Troops:
12x Termagant 48pts

Total Points: 1499pts
Total Models: 47

Alternatively, I could go with something a little more zany and outside my regular style (i.e. not as good but interesting):

Primary Detachment: Tyranids
HQ:
Tervigon 225pts
++Miasma Cannon
++Spine Cluster

Troops:
30x Termagant 120pts
Tervigon 200pts
++Spine Cluster

Elite:
2x Venomthrope 90pts
Zoanthrope 50pts
Zoanthrope 50pts

Fast Attack:
Harpy 140pts
Harpy 140pts

Heavy Support:
Biovore 40pts
Biovore 40pts
3x Carnifex 405pts
++Adrenal Glands

Total Points: 1500pts
Total Models: 43

Hopefully I can get some photos and post a battle because I never get to/remember to do so at the time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm doing the pilgrimage up with some friends from dahn saaath. I'm looking forward to it more than to the last couple of Gamesday events to be honest. From everything I've heard it is going to be closer to the Design Studio open day they had a couple of years ago, and that was so much nicer. Smaller crowds, more time to talk to the designers, more seminars etc.

I don't remember a Gamesday actually selling out, but the complete lack of communication this year probably hasn't helped with sales.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think im dieing

who wants my warhammer if I die??

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Moola posted:

I think im dieing

who wants my warhammer if I die??

We're all dying, Moola. :(

And me. I'll put it to good use. But I won't pay for shipping, you'll need to find a way to get it to me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Ok, I might go to the doctors tomorrow.

If they confirm I am dyeing then you can have my stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

After a long hiatus I'm finally getting a game in against the new Dark Eldar codex. I know I'm just begging to get shot to poo poo with ten thousand poisoned needles but I'm going to field some Tyranid MCs anyway. My only problem at this point is considering how I want to go with it. This guy generally plays for fun, but often times his fun is fielding three Wraithknights so I'm trying to balance things and make it moderately competitive at the same time.

Dark Eldar are the reason I started running Tyrannofex in my army. It don't give a poo poo about poison, and the flamer wrecks poo poo good. The S10 gun isn't horrible, but not needed against them.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Moola posted:

Can I call shotgun?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LordAba posted:

Dark Eldar are the reason I started running Tyrannofex in my army. It don't give a poo poo about poison, and the flamer wrecks poo poo good. The S10 gun isn't horrible, but not needed against them.

Yeah with the point drop I might need to consider one at some point. I don't encounter enough grav-weaponry that it would really be a problem and I really do love Torrent weapons. I just can't see it doing all that much damage over the course of a game compared to other options at that cost. You've got a couple turns for positioning and then maybe 2-3 good shots before it's either dead or the game is over.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Can I have your skeleton?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
No!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hams and hamettes, I regret to inform you that Warhammer 40k thread poster Moola has died. He had an unfortunate case of skullcoma and I'm afraid there was nothing we could do. We are currently transporting his body to be laid to rest at Skellingfield Skullyard, where he will finally be at peace.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
bravo, sir

So it turns out the plastic Wracks I got kinda suck (in-game) so I guess I'll use my break-if-you-look-at-em-funny Finecast Wracks as drivers for some of my Raider and Venom models. Also, I'm hoping the Haemonculus Covens book has some good stuff in it. Not that the standard stuff is poo poo, I had a decent game last night against and enjoyed deep striking in 80% of my force. The Mandrakes are pretty good - 2+ cover saves? thank you very much. Scourges wrecked poo poo all over the board and Raiders were popped all over the place but their rapid fire splinter rifles, dark lance and blaster fire was pretty good against regular Space Marines. Really want to try the Coven stuff now but it'll mean getting some Grotesques probably, and I want to try Court of the Archon stuff too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SRM posted:

Hams and hamettes, I regret to inform you that Warhammer 40k thread poster Moola has died. He had an unfortunate case of skullcoma and I'm afraid there was nothing we could do. We are currently transporting his body to be laid to rest at Skellingfield Skullyard, where he will finally be at peace.

May a flight of dickbikes sing him to his rest.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

panascope posted:

Yup. The relics are way, way worse for basically no difference in the rest of the book. The Crimson Slaughter book is actually pretty decent if you want to use one of the supplements.

Is the Crimson Slaughter supplement more competitive/overpowered than the standard chaos codex?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

not lame! posted:

Is the Crimson Slaughter supplement more competitive/overpowered than the standard chaos codex?

It's got much better relics, but that's about it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
One of the guys in my group uses the Crimson Slaughter supplement for his Slaaneshi Marines and he has a good time with it. I wouldn't say it's overpowered at all, but it's got some neater options.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009
Looks like I'll be doing my first new Dark Eldar game against Deathwing Dark Angels.

But I'm only sitting on
1 Archon
20 Kabalite Warriors
4 Venoms
1 Raider (wtf)
3 Reaver Jetbikes (wtf)
1 Ravager
1 Razorwing Jetfighter

I don't think I have enough Disintigrator/Dark Lance slots to deal with vehicles AND terminators... Y'all think I should pick up some more Raiders/Ravagers? Maybe a bomber for funsies? (Housemates play Dark Angels, Grey Knights, and Farsight Tau)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fal-Cone posted:

Looks like I'll be doing my first new Dark Eldar game against Deathwing Dark Angels.

But I'm only sitting on
1 Archon
20 Kabalite Warriors
4 Venoms
1 Raider (wtf)
3 Reaver Jetbikes (wtf)
1 Ravager
1 Razorwing Jetfighter

I don't think I have enough Disintigrator/Dark Lance slots to deal with vehicles AND terminators... Y'all think I should pick up some more Raiders/Ravagers? Maybe a bomber for funsies? (Housemates play Dark Angels, Grey Knights, and Farsight Tau)

Against Deathwing just keep in mind that it's a 24" army.
You need more raiders and ravagers, but honestly all you really need are a couple of disintigrators and you should smear the floor with him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't know what to do goons, I'm super keen on this Dark Eldar army as it has a actually really interesting playstyle, but it's Eldar and my hatred of them has no ends. Plus, I need to finish my Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines armies.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

Direwolf posted:

Against Deathwing just keep in mind that it's a 24" army.
You need more raiders and ravagers, but honestly all you really need are a couple of disintigrators and you should smear the floor with him.

Planning on it. Ravagers are legit.

What about deep-striking AV-armed Trueborn in a couple of Venoms on his butt? I expect him to probably take a few bikes, but I'm not too worried about just shooting them with splinter rifles/cannons.

Also, what's the general consensus on the Cronos/Talos? They look kinda interesting, especially now that you can squad them up.

Gon' see how this goes. Might do some Beerhammer with my CSM, too. I feel guilty about being so excited to warhams...

peep the tumblr fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 10, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

I don't know what to do goons, I'm super keen on this Dark Eldar army as it has a actually really interesting playstyle, but it's Eldar and my hatred of them has no ends. Plus, I need to finish my Chaos Daemons and Chaos Space Marines armies.

eldar rule

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

high six posted:

Got Space Hulk a few weeks back, working on painting one of the models. Never done a Blood Angel before, and I learned that red is annoying. So, work in progress here.

Are the Space Hulk Terminators the same size as the regular kit? Some of their poses make it hard to tell.
Also, how's the plastic(in terms of painting and working with it)? Is it the same as their current plastic kits?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fal-Cone posted:

Planning on it. Ravagers are legit.

What about deep-striking AV-armed Trueborn in a couple of Venoms on his butt? I expect him to probably take a few bikes, but I'm not too worried about just shooting them with splinter rifles/cannons.

Also, what's the general consensus on the Cronos/Talos? They look kinda interesting, especially now that you can squad them up.

Gon' see how this goes. Might do some Beerhammer with my CSM, too. I feel guilty about being so excited to warhams...

Speaking as a Deathwing/Ravenwing player, DE are basically a nightmare. Bikes get nothing special because of poison. Low model count terminators are slow and outmaneuvered. Land Raiders get wrecked by dark lances. Just don't be in his butt - you need to keep distance from him because your shooting will be better than his and Deathwing need to assault and shoot to reach their full potential.

If Talos are still T 7 with a gun that's good against light troops then he will just charge it with a squad of terminators and punch it to death. It might be strong against not-Deathwing but it's not strong against Deathwing.

Here's my DW list and what I would do against DE. I play a no-land raider DW, I do have an alternate list that has a raider in it but especially against DE I wouldn't take it due to Dark Lances (re-rolling armor pen results is nice but won't stop 4 hull points from going down in a turn).

Belial
Command Squad with assault cannon, Banner of Fortitude
10x terminators with 2x heavy flamers (with Belial)
5x Terminators with assault cannon
5x Terminators with assault cannon
5-6x Terminators with majority TH/SS, some LC depending on points
1-2 3x Bike squads with 2x Meltaguns
1-2 Attack Bikes with Multi Melta

If I get first turn, I scout the bikes up for Teleport Homers. If I don't, I outflank them; either way Attack Bikes are outflanking.
Otherwise, it's Deathwing Assault first turn; with Belial being able to pinpoint DS a squad, I drop the 10 man group where the 2 heavy flamers can do the most damage, potentially split-firing one of the flamers to maximize impact. The rest are either dropped in relative safety, or if I got first turn, dropped near the bike squad for no scatter. Command Squad is centralized to maximize impact of the Banner (which gives FnP in a 12" radius). My objective would be to drop as many vehicles as possible in that first turn,, because as soon as you're out of those vehicles my storm bolters become ridiculous AND I also kill the weapons on the vehicles. I will also try to clump up as much as possible and wipe out one sector of your army, to reduce your ability to run away in different directions with what's left. After the alpha strike I basically have 30 terminators slogging around the board trying to wipe you out one squad at a time and possibly, eventually, grabbing objectives.

If he's not going to Deathwing assault then this is not useful for you, but if he is, 1. stay spread out with your vehicles; 2. Nightshield Jinking Raiders are basically invulnerable to everything except the Heavy Flamers; 3. spread out the objectives as much as humanly possible. Mobility is on your side and the key to beating Deathwing is exploiting that. The only thing that should ever get close enough to assault them (unless it's like turn 5-6) are Archons and/or Wyches.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Horus Heresy IV - not SURE it's this weekend but it IS soon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Are the Space Hulk Terminators the same size as the regular kit? Some of their poses make it hard to tell.
Also, how's the plastic(in terms of painting and working with it)? Is it the same as their current plastic kits?

Same scale, same plastic, and some of the best models GW have ever released. They're frequently seen on 40mm bases and used in regular BA armies. Some goons here have some pretty dope ones painted up.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

That's a lot of insight. Thanks a ton, I'll try to keep those points in mind. He'll probably bring a raider with a techmarine with a bunch of goodies to have a sperg-box that's hard to kill that has lascannon sponsons, though. Hopefully I can roll pen results that make this less of a problem from Dark Lance+10 Warrior with dude with lance Raider

A Disintegrator Ravager pumping out 9 S5 AP2 shots a turn should be enough to cleave through a good portion of his force. I'm trying to figure out how I'd want to kit out guys to slap in the Venoms so that once I've Splinter Cannon'd Bikes/Tactical Marines/whatever to death, I can stay safe while still laying some AP2/1 hits on the Termies and playing keep away.

...Should probably also update my Battlescribe, maybe the new Deldar codex is already in there...

Edit: Aaaand I just remembered I drunkely bought and assembled Scourges... 4x Dark Lances :getin:

peep the tumblr fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 10, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

Horus Heresy IV - not SURE it's this weekend but it IS soon.

Warhammer Fest is October 11 to 12 so it is this weekend.

Also, despite being Fantasy the new Nurgle releases look amazing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Goddamnit, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy Dark Eldar.

How does a bone and orange or bone and purple scheme sound?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Bone and purple seems more classically Dark Eldar to me. I think with orange you'd need a darker contrast color instead of one. I've seen a DE army that's black and orange that seems pretty good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Black (washed with druchii) and given purple DE Tron highlights would work. Then accent with bone on the odd armour plate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Boon posted:

Goddamnit, I think I'm going to go ahead and buy Dark Eldar.

How does a bone and orange or bone and purple scheme sound?

That sounds cool to me. Google Phil Kelly's army to see a cool orange and black scheme for ideas.

Speaking of color schemes, I love the three new ones in the book (one may not actually be new, but it's the first time we've seen it on more than wyches). Each showcases a distinct way to paint DE: using solid color blocks, using metallics and weathering, and using bright edge highlights. There are also a pair of really nice kitbashed archons, one using a reaver helmet and a spear from the raider riders and another using parts from the old archon kit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well so my thought would be:
- Base black
- Highlight color one being orange or purple
- Highlight color two being bone

It'd be kind of like this:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Warhammer Fest is October 11 to 12 so it is this weekend.

Also, despite being Fantasy the new Nurgle releases look amazing.
I wouldn't say despite being Fantasy - if you ask me most of the better sculpts lately have been Fantasy ones. The Nagash stuff is baller, and those new Nurgle bros are great.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

If you end up grabbing the next book, please spill the beans on the Solar guys. Its looking like their transport can be armed with twin linked lascannons or a baby battle cannon. If it's AV13 for around 100 points :fap:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've been looking at grabbing an ADL to supplement my Devastators. My general thought was to stick a squad of lascannon devs in, have the sarge manage the quad gun, and put an ammo dump close by so that everyone's rerolling 1s to hit. Obviously at 120 points for the whole setup on top of the cost of the squad this is a bit of an investment; what would be the minimum point limit that you would take something like this in? My gut says 1000 is too low to justify it but 1250 seems like maybe I could squeak it by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

I wouldn't say despite being Fantasy - if you ask me most of the better sculpts lately have been Fantasy ones. The Nagash stuff is baller, and those new Nurgle bros are great.

I was listening to the Lords and Heroes podcast, heard about the tree bros there and they look pretty hot as well. If only they could translate that into some exodite Eldar.

• Locked thread