Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
That's the thing though, the online stuff is mainly just leaderboards. There's not really any excuse for those not to be working. It's not like it needs to sync data between thousands of player simultaneously or anything.

As someone who hasn't played a serious racing game since GT3 on the PS2, I do wish there were more 'assist' type things in the races (with say a penalty to Fame for using them) like racing/braking lines, as I've never really understand how I'm meant to take corners optimally so I know I'm losing a lot of time on them but am not sure how to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Aishan posted:

That's the thing though, the online stuff is mainly just leaderboards. There's not really any excuse for those not to be working. It's not like it needs to sync data between thousands of player simultaneously or anything.

As someone who hasn't played a serious racing game since GT3 on the PS2, I do wish there were more 'assist' type things in the races (with say a penalty to Fame for using them) like racing/braking lines, as I've never really understand how I'm meant to take corners optimally so I know I'm losing a lot of time on them but am not sure how to improve.

It's not exact and I don't know how it will hold up with faster cars but the banners near corners kinda show how fast you can go - the green ones are pretty much flat out, for the yellows you lift off and for the reds you need to brake. They won't help with finding a proper racing line but might be of some help.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Ularg posted:

I don't think it's possible for a game to have a stable and smooth launch anymore. I don't even think companies try. It's not like renting Amazon servers is hard or anything for the first month.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Destiny had a smooth launch putting other online releases to shame as it was the biggest release of the year.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I played a couple of hours of Driveclub this morning and I really enjoyed it. The little in-race challenges are fun and the handling is nice without being too punishing so even someone who is a bit poo poo at racing games could enjoy it. The sense of speed is unparalleled because it looks so realistic.

The online stuff seemed to be starting to work just as I was finishing up playing because I could search for clubs and stuff. Which is the actual Goon one because there are around ten variations of it at the moment?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's not exact and I don't know how it will hold up with faster cars but the banners near corners kinda show how fast you can go - the green ones are pretty much flat out, for the yellows you lift off and for the reds you need to brake. They won't help with finding a proper racing line but might be of some help.

Yeah, I picked up on those quite easily, they definitely help to give a sense of the severity of the corner. I also think the 'sector accuracy' bonus you accrue during the races are a measure of how well you're following the (invisible) racing line, as a score out of 500.

spudsbuckley posted:

The online stuff seemed to be starting to work just as I was finishing up playing because I could search for clubs and stuff. Which is the actual Goon one because there are around ten variations of it at the moment?
It's been up and down constantly for me this morning, and even when it's 'connected' it doesn't actually load any leaderboards or club information.

As for the goon club, I'm under the impression that clubs are actually tiny: only 6 people per, which means there's going to be bunch of them. I'm not even sure if you can be part of multiple clubs.

Aishan fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Obsidius posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Destiny had a smooth launch putting other online releases to shame as it was the biggest release of the year.

Yeah I grabbed destiny at launch and had zero problems at all. Same with... uh, basically all the other games I've bought this year. I actually can't remember the last time a launch was fumbled this badly.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Anyone going to do a Driveclub thread? I mean, I can do it, but I suck at making OPs

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nitr0 posted:

Man driveclub is about a million times better when you can play your own music. I started the free trial of the music unlimited and it rules hearing stuff you want racing around these locales. Still kind of bullshit Sony won't allow an rdio app or your own mp3's just so they force you to sub to their service

I had music unlimited for a month last year, and I found switching between games and the app to be a pain (it was just slow as hell). I'm now back on Spotify, but have they improved the switching back and forth at all?

Bruiser posted:

Anyone going to do a Driveclub thread? I mean, I can do it, but I suck at making OPs

Just make the title : DRIVECLUB: Fame Lifeles' Wet Dream

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 10, 2014

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

So has that free version of Driveclub been canned or something yet? There's like barely any official word on it, I thought it was today?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Obsidius posted:

PSN hasn't recovered since Destiny launch. I haven't been able to send friend requests and the only way I can accept them is with the PSN app.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Ularg posted:

PSN hasn't recovered since Destiny launch. I haven't been able to send friend requests and the only way I can accept them is with the PSN app.

That's... not a normal user experience.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Platypus Farm posted:

That's... not a normal user experience.

Has been normal for most in the Destiny IRC. Tried doing things like rebuilding database and such and none of the fixes work.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've had the same issue - the friends list loads slowly or not at all, and there's no way to add friends.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

So has that free version of Driveclub been canned or something yet? There's like barely any official word on it, I thought it was today?

quote:

Hi Everyone,
With DRIVECLUB, we are dedicated to delivering a dynamic and socially connected racing game that everyone can enjoy, and along the way we're facing new challenges which we haven’t encountered as a development team before. We are seeing a lot of activity and new social behaviours right now, but unfortunately this is pushing the servers to their absolute limits.
We are sorry if you are having a hard time getting online as we know many of you are. Please be aware that the game will automatically keep trying to connect you. Once you're online, you should have no further problems during your session.
Everyone at the studio is now working hard to get new updates ready for the game servers to improve connectivity. We will be rolling out these updates day by day and will keep you informed.
In order to help all DRIVECLUB players who have the game already, we're temporarily holding back the PS Plus Edition and the My DRIVECLUB app to ease the load and traffic to the servers. This should give players a better chance of connecting to the game servers and, once the servers are operating well, we’ll be sure to let you know when the PS Plus Edition and My DRIVECLUB app will be available to download.
To our PS Plus fans, we're sorry you're having to wait longer to play, but we want to ensure that when you come on board, you get the best experience possible. Rest assured, if you've pre-ordered the full game upgrade from the PS Plus Edition, you will still get the full version of DRIVECLUB digitally, and if you can't get online you'll be able to get started offline like everybody else with single player mode as you start your DRIVECLUB tour. You’ll still be able to earn fame, unlock cars and get to grips with all of the options for playing and creating your own events and challenges - and everything you do will be synchronised with the servers when you do get connected, so you can set-up a bunch of challenges to send out to your friends as soon as you are able to join each other online.
We fully appreciate how frustrating this is for everyone. We want you to get online with your club because racing, challenging and having fun together is what the game is all about. We know that racing with your friends online is what you’ve been waiting for and we are doing everything we can to deliver that experience to you as soon as possible.
Sorry again for the difficult start. We’ll keep you regularly updated on our progress as we work round the clock to improve connectivity. We want everyone to know what's happening so please tag your DRIVECLUB friends or SHARE this message to let them know.
- Rushy

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
what sucks is that, if the servers weren't made of crepe paper, it would actually be a fun game- and what I'm looking for. We could field like, 10 Goon Clubs and run hogwild out there on the course. I'd love racing with my friends! It sucks because I can see what it would be, and it's just not there.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Ularg posted:

Has been normal for most in the Destiny IRC. Tried doing things like rebuilding database and such and none of the fixes work.

Oh well, I had no idea that was so widespread. That's insane that a month old game launch is still loving everything up.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ularg posted:

Stuff breaks on the weekend sometimes on PSN but it's definitely not normal to not be able to do the stuff you're unable to do. Mine always comes back and is always broken when everyone else's is. I've never had to do anything to fix it either, it just starts working again.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Platypus Farm posted:

Oh well, I had no idea that was so widespread. That's insane that a month old game launch is still loving everything up.

Yeah, not sure if it's a Destiny related thing or just because I've passed the 250 mark on my friends list (lots of cool goons out there).

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I can't really blame them for holding back on the PS+ free version, if the servers are already under strain as is adding potentially millions of extra players would certainly not help matters.

Still I don't think it should have been an issue in the first place, unless they drastically underestimated the number of people who wanted to play.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I guess Evolution doesn't quite have the funds Bungie/Activision has to spend on servers but you would have thought Sony would have helped them out a bit given that they've been trying to frame it as one of the experiences to be had on PS4.

Also the fact they've held back the PS+ version is troubling, I imagine the people who actually bought the game must be a small fraction of those who will get access when it hits PS+ so surely if they're having problems now it will just poo poo the bed again once a few million more people try and connect.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Still sounds like software to me. Too much active talk with the server from each client. Like instead of sending a package of information at least once per lap (per race would be best) it does it for every thing it can record and send. Seen it happen many times in alpha and beta stages but usually it's caught when it goes live. May have lacked the right network experienced engineer to look at the I/O.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MZ posted:

I guess Evolution doesn't quite have the funds Bungie/Activision has to spend on servers but you would have thought Sony would have helped them out a bit given that they've been trying to frame it as one of the experiences to be had on PS4.

Also the fact they've held back the PS+ version is troubling, I imagine the people who actually bought the game must be a small fraction of those who will get access when it hits PS+ so surely if they're having problems now it will just poo poo the bed again once a few million more people try and connect.

I still find it admirable that during the mess they are trying to get the experience working for their paying customers first. Yea it sucks but I will patiently wait for the PS+ free version to be available and let the experience working decide if I should get the game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Ularg posted:

Yeah, not sure if it's a Destiny related thing or just because I've passed the 250 mark on my friends list (lots of cool goons out there).

While I wouldn't rule it out as a potential factor, I'd wonder if there was still more to it. For example, I'm nearing 400 friends (need people for leaderboard competition :argh: ) and haven't had any issues.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

magimix posted:

While I wouldn't rule it out as a potential factor, I'd wonder if there was still more to it. For example, I'm nearing 400 friends (need people for leaderboard competition :argh: ) and haven't had any issues.

It's definitely not related to # of friends because I was having those issues even after paring my friend list down to around thirty or so. But it's also been about a week since I've had any of those issues pop up. The point stands that Destiny's online launch was relatively painless and I don't really think it's Bungie's fault that the PSN is apparently hot garbage.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I have two friends and PSN is often hot garbage when trying to coordinate messages/parties/friend requests when setting up Destiny raid teams.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
When will they learn that having decent servers ready and online for any release is pretty much a very important thing to have?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

For the last week or so I receive PSN messages exactly 24 hours after they are sent.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not impressed with PSN at all. I was expecting that with paid membership we'd see more than an upscaled PS3 market place.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The guys who are experiencing issues, do you have a lot of PSN friends? Has to be something in common for why you're having issues and others arent.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just a bit of positivity amongst all the (deserved) griping.

Me, barely hanging on while whipping a RUF CT3 Clubsport around a sleepy town in Scotland in the wee hours of the morning.

(be sure to watch in HD.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27of01_driveclub-ruf_videogames

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway

Ularg posted:

What's your handle on PSN?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Harlock posted:

The guys who are experiencing issues, do you have a lot of PSN friends? Has to be something in common for why you're having issues and others arent.

Then how come this guy isn't having such issues? He has twice as many friends as me:

magimix posted:

echronorian posted:

I'm not impressed with PSN at all. I was expecting that with paid membership we'd see more than an upscaled PS3 market place.

I was hoping the same thing. If they could keep the value of PS+ free games and use the money from multiplayer subscribers to upgrade the system I would be happy. But it seems to not really be happening. Then again there are a crazy amount of people using Sony consoles online. So no doubt they are probably scrambling to upgrade as fast as they can.

Edit:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What's your handle on PSN?

Phorrum

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
I'm going to add Ularg and see if my PSN goes to poo poo. Maybe he's contagious.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
When does Spelunky become frustrating? Because I'm all smiles and laughs, 42 deaths in, without using the shortcut I make it to level 5-6 regularly now and I enjoy every moment, dying to hilarious combos of oopsies as I'm still learning and figuring things out.

These games journalists have just made me wonder when. A certain one of them ranted about it being Dark Soulsian difficult to get to the Jungle early on. One of my fave PS+ indies if not The One Fave of the lot. Still wishing I had gotten in on it earlier.

(I can feel :argh: hinting when the shopkeeper gets pissed off in the dumbest of ways from across the map but I laugh it off. Maybe it's the kind of guy I am)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It is hard and you die a lot but if you don't mind that it's a lot of fun. My wife and I have been playing co-op and having a blast. We don't usually make it to the jungle and have only made it past the first jungle area once but we don't mind. I just like making her fall off ledges as a ghost after she accidentally kills me with a rock.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MrLonghair posted:

When does Spelunky become frustrating? Because I'm all smiles and laughs, 42 deaths in, without using the shortcut I make it to level 5-6 regularly now and I enjoy every moment, dying to hilarious combos of oopsies as I'm still learning and figuring things out.

These games journalists have just made me wonder when. A certain one of them ranted about it being Dark Soulsian difficult to get to the Jungle early on. One of my fave PS+ indies if not The One Fave of the lot. Still wishing I had gotten in on it earlier.

(I can feel :argh: hinting when the shopkeeper gets pissed off in the dumbest of ways from across the map but I laugh it off. Maybe it's the kind of guy I am)

I would say in some senses Spelunky may never become frustrating or rage-inducing.

The most drama I have gathered from Spelunky was after playing for many weeks and realizing I just wasn't gonna see past maybe the second world because I wasn't good enough. That was a little frustrating (because I mean, there's all this content there and it'd be cool to see...)

Maybe one day... :)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Even though it's randomized I just hate seeing I'm back at stage 1-1. It's literally just a number and it pisses me off.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Pix the Cat is the best game. I feel like I cheated somehow to get this game free.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I reduced my friends list and PSN works better. It's still a mess and on some days it shits the bed, like 4 or 5 days ago, I couldn't do friend invites.

It's not all Destiny traffic though. The DDOS crew have been hitting PSN, XBL, and Blizzard off and on for over a month now. Blizzard has a somewhat better time handling them since their entire revenue stream depends on connectivity at this point but the already sort of gimpy PSN and XBL have been struggling between DDOS attacks and Destiny basically DDOSing them through regular use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Driveclub thread is up:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671028

• Locked thread