Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

cyberia posted:

There are a few reasons I decided to buy a GPS:

- I live in Australia
- I have a prepaid cellphone with limited data and not-great battery life
- I spend a lot of time driving out in the country and in newly-developed suburban estates for which Google maps isn't always accurate
- As other posters have mentioned, having a large, dedicated touchscreen device with clear, simple directions is easier to follow than relying on my phone

Don't forget GPS drains the unholy poo poo out of your battery on phones. I've got my phone in a pinch but I borrowed a friend's GPS and loved it.

edit: poo poo. New page. Uhm..

World Market is going to give me diabetes with all the delicious snacks I can't get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

2) I live in an area with crap mobile signal. More than once, I've missed a turnoff because my phone was waiting for data and so was displaying that wasn't where I really was. Map caching is supposed to be an option, but I've never been organised enough to sort it out for all the regions that I might be in.

Google maps caches the route and map data for a route when you initiate it just FYI.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

big mean giraffe posted:

Google maps caches the route and map data for a route when you initiate it just FYI.

Is that a new thing? It used to be that you had to manually cache the map data and to be honest, once it let me down, I wasn't prepared to trust it again

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Is that a new thing? It used to be that you had to manually cache the map data and to be honest, once it let me down, I wasn't prepared to trust it again

You can manually cache the map by typing "ok maps" in the search bar.

It's possible though that google maps makes a cache of the route/map but a lot of terrible things can happen. I'm not sure the zoom works at all on such maps, and I'm pretty sure from experience that if click somewhere else on the map/hide the route, you can't get it back without a connection. Also it will never recalculate your trip.

Google map is great but it sucks terribly for offline use.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

big mean giraffe posted:

Yup, Waze also does this.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I bought tix to tonight's NLDS Game 4 Cardinals/Dodgers.

Can't wait.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Got myself a wool M65 knockoff for these chilly Central Europe autumns and winters (not this exact one, but they all pretty much look the same)

A pair of steel toe boots 'cause I'm loving sick of boots falling apart after a year and a half and wanted something really solid this time

and a hat.

Best part is, all of that only costed me like, €40. Gotta love secondhand stuff. (well, the hat was new, the rest wasn't)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

It took me a second to figure out why this image creeped me the hell out.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

It took me a second to figure out why this image creeped me the hell out.

Sadly, it didn't come with the hands. Shoulda bought new, I guess :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I was just in Vancouver and saved a map of the whole city offline plus a bunch of the places I wanted to see. Then at the hotel on wifi I could look up and save wherever we were going, and then had a map with me at all times, without having to use data, which I had turned off. Worked very well, especially when I was on my bike trying to figure out where to go.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I bought a lazy costume for halloween. it comes with a convenient beer pouch

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Irritated Goat posted:

Don't forget GPS drains the unholy poo poo out of your battery on phones. I've got my phone in a pinch but I borrowed a friend's GPS and loved it.

edit: poo poo. New page. Uhm..

World Market is going to give me diabetes with all the delicious snacks I can't get here.

Aeros loving rule.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Finally decided on my ski jacket. Was on sale from 425 CHF to 232, seemed like a good deal. Eider Softshell Windefender.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Check out the pencil case. It's a little smaller than I had thought but I'm rather fond of it. It's aesthetically pleasing to me.

For those interested it's made by a company called Saki. They're available with different patterns and there's another model with leather trim(I think). There's some other brands with similar products too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

M.Ciaster posted:

A pair of steel toe boots 'cause I'm loving sick of boots falling apart after a year and a half and wanted something really solid this time

Get yourself a pair of shoe trees and clean your shoes every week. Also don't wear shoes two days in a row of you can help it. This should help your shoes last longer.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

Aeros loving rule.

They're robbing you of chocolate.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

Get yourself a pair of shoe trees and clean your shoes every week. Also don't wear shoes two days in a row of you can help it. This should help your shoes last longer.

Replacing two pairs of shoes ever three years isn't actually any better than replacing one pair every year and a half.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Alternating between two pairs of shoes lets them dry out between uses and they should last longer than wearing one pair until they fall apart then another pair.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

MaliciousOnion posted:

Yeah, I know about that stuff and follow it pretty drat religiously. poo poo just seems to... fall apart on my feet.

Funnily enough, the most durable pair of shoes I've got are some no-name Made In China sneakers I grabbed when I was on vacation a while ago 'cause I needed another pair of shoes right there and then, fuckers are indestructible.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A quality pair of boots like Red Wings or Wolverine will last forever if you take even decent care of it. Good boots require spending a little bit of money.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://imgur.com/tW2So5q

Probally the best knife you can buy under 50 dollars. And yet it only cost me 17 dollars CDN. Bought two to have as backup hunting knives/utility knives when I dont want to use nicer knives like my Kabar or Benchmade.

http://imgur.com/38RMePb

Smells like heaven. Keep ya bits fresh.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

Sadly, it didn't come with the hands. Shoulda bought new, I guess :v:

Make sure to leave a comedy review!

Yesterdays Piss
Nov 8, 2009

I bought these socks because I couldn't stop laughing at Dracula's face. He looks like he's been eating ribs.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Phone case for my phone. In reality, it's about 100 times brighter than in the picture, which is okay with me because bright coral is my favorite color.

Curvy Kate bra for my boobs! Not pictured: my boobs.

Comfy drapey sweatshirt for my torso, I guess?

Perfume samples for my skin. Obviously these are the full-sized bottles, pictures of actual perfume samples are super boring.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

:gizz: WHERE AND HOW MUCH

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Just a few toys more toward finally having a nice bar/getting my god drat second fermenting fridge back:

Not pictured: big rear end chest freezer.

Mechahopzilla Tap Handle - bar gear

Prohibition Lager tap handle

Temp controller, so I don't freeze my tasty beverages.

This is all toward my home bar for brewing, finally.

I am still tap-hunting at the moment. I have a few I want - ideally a cider tap, as well as a Sierra Nevada torpedo tap (the new one which actually looks like a torpedo), and a few other rad ones

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My recent purchase is a new driveway. Just picture asphalt on the ground, that is what it looks like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

My recent purchase is a new driveway. Just picture asphalt on the ground, that is what it looks like.

Why asphalt and not concrete? Is it a really long driveway?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why asphalt and not concrete? Is it a really long driveway?
Multiple reasons. My driveway is very steep, the climate here is quite variable, and drainage concerns would have required significant additional work with concrete. With asphalt it was relatively easy to get more out of it. Asphalt driveways are very common around here due to the bullshit weather.

Plus the cost was about $3k less for asphalt even with an additional 25x30 foot driveway extension.

Also there is no way in hell my wife and I will still be living in this house in 5 years, and the driveway was an obvious point of improvement since it was so bad before.

Here's a blurry image of the top part of the driveway from about a year ago. The top section was actually the relatively good portion too.

Apparently I was trying to take a picture of a bunny.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Oct 9, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Four of these:

Winter is Coming.

(Just the tires, not a whole wheel.)

Got a good deal from a discount tire place on Ebay...originally about $440, and they had a $100 off any order over $400 promotion going, with free shipping.

There also might be a mail in rebate I can get from the manufacturer, though they might not apply to these tires...but if they do, I think that's another $40 back.

These are very, very needed for my car...pretty sure it won't pass inspection with the current tires. Parts of them have absolutely no tread left...they don't even work as summer tires, let alone winters.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Phone case for my phone. In reality, it's about 100 times brighter than in the picture, which is okay with me because bright coral is my favorite color.

Anyone with a new phone should look into Elago for their case.
I bought this one for the last 3 iterations of iPhones I've had (just got it for my iPhone 6 actually).

I'm clumsy and drop my phone occasionally and I've never had the phone get damaged.

Leon Black
Sep 2, 2004

Say whaaaat?
Bit late to the party, but:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

McSpergin posted:

:gizz: WHERE AND HOW MUCH

I bought it from the official Warframe store for like $80, but it was limited edition and I don't see it listed anymore. I'm sure you can find one from another place if you look.

The thing is goddamn impressive in person, heavy as hell too.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
This weekend putting a deposit down on an order for this:

2015 Dodge challenger scat pack

with this interior that no one has on the lot

Should come in around thanksgiving then RIP my wallet

Edit: I really wanna get MERICA as the license plate bc nothing more Murican than an unnecessary amount of horsepower for me to drive to and from work.

Merica has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Oct 10, 2014

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
That is the perfect user name & post combo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Merica posted:

2015 Dodge challenger scat pack

Uhhh...:raise:

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

yeah...I didn't name it :shrug:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Wow, It's the 392 without the lux extras. So pretty much exactly appealing to me.

Good purchase.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

TheFonz posted:

Wow, It's the 392 without the lux extras. So pretty much exactly appealing to me.

Good purchase.

It's the exact same engine as well as the 392. for like 5k cheaper.

Edit: I love the T for Texas on the plate. In case you forgot what letter it starts with.

Merica has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Merica posted:

Edit: I really wanna get MERICA as the license plate bc nothing more Murican than an unnecessary amount of horsepower for me to drive to and from work.

Do it

I appreciate the irony of this being on a German car