Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Game 3 outcome joke :v:

Apparently it was not very good.

I got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

You're a cool dude Some Number.

You should root for the Giants because you only have to see them in the post every other year rather than every year :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm still trying to process the fact that the the Orioles or the Royals Are going to be in a World Series in the year of our Lord 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

BusinessWeek put together this ranking of every baseball umpire by ball-and-strike calls missed:

http://www.businessweek.com/graphics/baseballs-worst-call-of-the-day/#/umpires/ranking/2014

So the difference between the top and the bottom is 5%?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

New Concept Hole posted:

Yeah, it's pretty tight. On the other hand, given that we're at about 83% at the lowest, we probably should think about it in terms of "For every 2 fuckups a good umpire makes, a bad umpire makes 3." Which seems like a pretty major difference.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Is there a way to see "most perfectly called game" using that website? I remember someone posting that the ump for the last no hitter (Zimmermann?) only missed one pitch the whole game. I don't see Alan Porter on the list at all though.

Pretty cool website though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I think it's more for "The Best Fans in Baseball" outrage it would produce.

Yeah about 3/4 of their tweets referenced Joe Buck going down on Kershaw, Magic Johnson having AIDS and giving it to players, and the bubble machine being gay.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah about 3/4 of their tweets referenced Joe Buck going down on Kershaw, Magic Johnson having AIDS and giving it to players, and the bubble machine being gay.

Yeah those guys spend a lot of time being concerned with who's doing what stuff to whose butt.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is there sad offseason thread to commiserate in or should I talk about Dodgers front office rumors here?

Because Plaschke seems to think the Dodgers are gunning for Friedman

the worst columnist ever posted:

Ownership is disappointed with how Colletti constructed a roster that, despite costing a record $240 million, lacked the pieces to compete with the versatile Cardinals. The Dodgers payroll is expected to drop into the $185-190-million range next season to offset expected financial losses from the unworkable television contract with Time Warner Cable, and ownership could be looking for a new vision that will rely less on high-priced free agents and more heavily on the farm system. Their top target appears to be Andrew Friedman, the highly regarded 37-year-old general manager of the Tampa Bay Rays who built a World Series team out of one of baseball's smallest payrolls.

This paragraph makes it sounds like he's got "sources" but maybe he's just speculating.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't they just sign him to an extension? Or was that last year?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't they just sign him to an extension? Or was that last year?

He doesn't have a contract (or at least a longterm one). The good news is that Friedman has turned down offers from the Angels and Astros the past couple seasons so hooray???

unless you're talking about nedco in which case oops

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NedCo has a deal for another couple years but as we all know with GM's and managers that doesn't matter. If they want to can him they will.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I was referring to NedCo but I know it's mostly irrelevant.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Someone should really just sign David Forst already, though a few teams have passed on him in recent years.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Friedman has ownership stake like Beane does. He's not going anywhere.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
The library of congress released a recently found, highlight reel of the Washington Senators 1924 World Series win, and it's fuckin awesome. Walter Johnson makes an appearance in extra innings starting at 2:15; no idea how he could (supposedly) throw in the mid 90's with that delivery.

If only I could have lived in an era before Joe Buck and Chris Berman running their mouths during games :allears:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Friedman has ownership stake like Beane does. He's not going anywhere.

Yay

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

a rowdy mullet posted:

The library of congress released a recently found, highlight reel of the Washington Senators 1924 World Series win, and it's fuckin awesome. Walter Johnson makes an appearance in extra innings starting at 2:15; no idea how he could (supposedly) throw in the mid 90's with that delivery.

If only I could have lived in an era before Joe Buck and Chris Berman running their mouths during games :allears:

It looks pretty similar to a Randy Johnson fast ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaKWvLFKjc

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Common knowledge I assume, but from what I've read, a lot of Johnson's effectiveness was reportedly due to just how effortless it appeared. Mostly sidearm delivery that looked like he wasn't even trying and then bam. Mid 90's heat or whatever.

I highly recommend this biography if anyone's interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Walter-Johnson-Baseballs-Big-Train/dp/0803294336

Edit - slow motion reminds me of the greatest suicide squeeze ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcoXTvXWyrA
Sorry - nothing to do with anything, but drat. It's just poetry.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should have posted this here for first but I'm a terrible person.

O's kinda had a flash sale for Game 1 and Game 2 tickets tonight. I got 2 for Game 2 and a friend got four for Game 1. Pretty neat.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The best part of this video is Frankie Frisch bunting for a hit and diving headfirst into first base. Even Hall of Famers do it!

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

It looks pretty similar to a Randy Johnson fast ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbaKWvLFKjc

Walter Johnson's delivery reminds me a little of Paul Byrd, I always got a kick out of watching him use that old-school windup. It might be due to the camera angles, but most of the old-time pitchers deliveries look so awkward. From the film I've seen it seems like pitchers didn't really incorporate their lower bodies into the windup until the 30's or 40's.

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

a rowdy mullet posted:

Walter Johnson's delivery reminds me a little of Paul Byrd, I always got a kick out of watching him use that old-school windup. It might be due to the cameral angles, but most of the old-time pitchers deliveries look so awkward, From the film I've seen it seems like pitchers didn't really incorporate their lower bodies into the windup until the 30's or 40's.

Yeah I am not sure how much of it is the mound being different, but I recall people arguing over who was the first pitcher to really drive with their legs and dig their knee down on delivery.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

New Concept Hole posted:

If I'm doing the arithmetic right, the average game in 2014 included about 156 called balls/strikes [704,947 total pitches in 2014 / (162 games x 30 teams / 2) x 54% not swung at], so we'd be talking about a difference of 7-8 calls a game if that data were accurate.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Those were simpler times, when players didn't gather on the infield and do that idiotic jumping up and down thing that has become all the rage in the past decade

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Those were simpler times, when players didn't gather on the infield and do that idiotic jumping up and down thing that has become all the rage in the past decade

People didn't start "jumping for joy" until that rap music took over

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
What do you have against Kriss Kross?

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

What do you have against Kriss Kross?

House of Pain are the real monsters here.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
A friend of mine on Twitter just got tickets to ALCS Game 2 and ALCS Game 6 from Mastercard for tweeting about #Orioles. So if you're up to taking a potshot at it, I have no idea what their criteria are or if they're just giving it away randomly, but I'd guess it might work for #Royals, #Cardinals (gross), and #Giants (sick).

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

He gazed up at the enormous bird's face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the orange beak. O cruel, needless bunting! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the better conference! Two Miller Lite-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, baseball was all right, the inter-league struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved the DH.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

And the fans had enough class to act like they've been there before, and stay off the field after a dramatic win. :smug:

Oh wait. No they didn't. Rush all fields/courts.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It wasn't too many seasons ago that I made a foolish bet with SAS regulars that the Orioles would finish the season at .500 and I was willing to bet my bobbleheads against your bobbleheads. I boxed and mailed off quite a few bobbleheads that year. All those guys to whom I sent bobbleheads?

gently caress you. This is better.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

a rowdy mullet posted:

Starting at 2:00 when the "Senators tie the game", the play is a force at first, and the players walk off the field, so, the run crossing the plate does not score. The Senators tied the game on a two-run single. This highlight is loving bullshit. WHERE'S THE RBI SINGLE, OBAMA

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

House of Pain are the real monsters here.

Boy do I hate the Irish

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Starting at 2:00 when the "Senators tie the game", the play is a force at first, and the players walk off the field, so, the run crossing the plate does not score. The Senators tied the game on a two-run single. This highlight is loving bullshit. WHERE'S THE RBI SINGLE, OBAMA

That's the double play to end the 9th inning! You can tell because the catcher does a huge fist pump.

Also, despite implying that they are from extra innings, the Walter Johnson highlights are from the 9th inning. They're not even in order!

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

That bat boy got real excited though.

Also, it's too bad fans can't rush the field anymore after a big win.

Also, men used to wear suits and ties to ballgames. I did that once and got the craziest looks from people. It was awesome. I wasn't raised by wolves.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

Alan Trammell posted:

That's the double play to end the 9th inning! You can tell because the catcher does a huge fist pump.

Also, despite implying that they are from extra innings, the Walter Johnson highlights are from the 9th inning. They're not even in order!

Sports Journalism

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I better look my best to watch a bunch of grown men in pajamas try to hit a ball with a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Orioles only change from ALDS to ALCS roster is LHP Brian Matusz in for RHP Ubaldo Jimenez. No Chris Davis on ALCS roster (not eligible until game 6) as expected.

• Locked thread