Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sweek0 posted:

You can't post all these subway maps without posting the best one. The subway maps of subway and lightrail systems around the world, inspired by the one and only original London Underground map.

I like to think the three lines going through Prague would just incorporate the city's existing metro wholesale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
For all you train map posting people:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

House Louse posted:

I don't know why these maps shows Taiwan as part of China, but it has an HSR going down the west coast.

That one's kind of weird, but for the regular rail map supposedly they're planning to dig a tunnel through the strait of Taiwan to connect the two together (I don't know who actually wants to do this though).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, unimaginative? It's street names and neighborhood names, the same as most transit systems use. What, are they supposed to be completely unrelated to the location?

...I, uhh...ok, apparently I should have complained about unimaginative street names! But logical, I suppose.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

That one's kind of weird, but for the regular rail map supposedly they're planning to dig a tunnel through the strait of Taiwan to connect the two together (I don't know who actually wants to do this though).

That would be an over 250 km tunnel. Is this from the same people who want to build a high speed rail from China to the US?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Manchester's Metrolink has grown quite a bit since I last looked:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

sweek0 posted:

You can't post all these subway maps without posting the best one. The subway maps of subway and lightrail systems around the world, inspired by the one and only original London Underground map.

What gets me about the "world rail map" people is that they always insist on connecting the entire world together in one system. I'm sorry, but we aren't building a railroad across the Atlantic any time soon. Maaaaybe we could bridge the Bering Straight but even that's seriously pushing it. Just build one rail net for the Americas, another for the rest of the world.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paul.Power posted:

Manchester's Metrolink has grown quite a bit since I last looked:

There's a new line opening to the Airport in the next month or so and they're building a second line through the city centre, plus a new line through Trafford is in the works.

The main issue with the met is everything has to go through Cornbrook which is a lovely station where the points fail every couple of days. The new Airport line is going through it and the proposed Trafford Park line too, so it's only going to get worse.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 10, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
For that world rail map, does anyone realize just how insanely long it would take to actually get to where you're going? I mean, if you're going within Europe, it's still like a 4-6 hour train ride to get from most countries to another. To get from NYC or Los Angeles to, say, Moscow, would take somewhere in the area of several weeks even at bullet train speeds of 200+ mph. Why do that when you can fly and be in Moscow in 10 hours?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You guys realize that's just a creative representation of the world's metro systems, right? Nobody is actually proposing building a hundred thousand mile long subway.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
That map is just supposed to look like the London Underground map, hence why the connections are there the way they are. It was released together with a book on subway systems of the world.

No one's proposing to actually build connections like that or anything. Well actually, we could build a transatlantic tunnel and it'd take an hour from London to NYC, theoretically.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That would be an over 250 km tunnel. Is this from the same people who want to build a high speed rail from China to the US?

It's 130km for the proposed location (Pingtan in Fujian to Hsinchu). Still kind of extravagant but less so.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You guys realize that's just a creative representation of the world's metro systems, right? Nobody is actually proposing building a hundred thousand mile long subway.

Nobody except the Illuminati/NWO/Reptoids :tinfoil:

And while one might be forgiven thinking it's a parody with an acronym like "DUMB" these people are very serious :negative:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

It's 130km for the proposed location (Pingtan in Fujian to Hsinchu). Still kind of extravagant but less so.

It's still technologically and economically unfeasible. It's pretty much a little less ridiculous than the planned expressway.

EDIT: The longest non-subway rail transportation tunnel in the world, the Seikan Tunnel, is 53.85 km. It cost US$7 billion to build in 1988. A rail line from China to Taiwan isn't even worth that much and it's going to cost considerably more. This isn't even taking into account the cost of maintenance.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 10, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Grand Fromage posted:

In another thread (thought it was this one, but apparently not) there was a similar map which, by all appearances, was seriously meant as a theoretical worldwide train network. It had lines crossing, not only the Atlantic, but also the Pacific as well, including one that went from California to Australia by way of various Pacific islands. If I can dig it up again I'll post it here.

sweek0 posted:

That map is just supposed to look like the London Underground map, hence why the connections are there the way they are. It was released together with a book on subway systems of the world.

Okay, that makes more sense then.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bit disingenuous to include Nigeria at this point since there hasn't been a new case there in two 21 day periods.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

sweek0 posted:

I know it's not a serious map, and it's very stylized, but...they put Phoenix between Houston and Denver, Salt lake City between Los Angeles and San Jose, Sacramento between San Jose and San Francisco, Minneapolis between Chicago and Detroit, Dallas between Jacksonville and Atlanta, St. Louis between Atlanta and Washington DC, and Pittsburgh between Washington DC and Baltimore...Copenhagen is in Sweden, and...what the gently caress :psyduck:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rah! posted:

I know it's not a serious map, and it's very stylized, but...they put Phoenix between Houston and Denver, Salt lake City between Los Angeles and San Jose, Sacramento between San Jose and San Francisco, Minneapolis between Chicago and Detroit, Dallas between Jacksonville and Atlanta, St. Louis between Atlanta and Washington DC, and Pittsburgh between Washington DC and Baltimore...Copenhagen is in Sweden, and...what the gently caress :psyduck:

Personally I like the detour to Pyongyang when traveling to Beijing from Wuhan by way of Xi'an and Tianjin.

EDIT: The Middle East and Indian Subcontinent is even better. Shiraz is closer to Bangalore than Delhi, and getting to Tehran from there requires connecting either through Bangalore or Jerusalem. Getting from Haifa to Jerusalem requires two transfers, either in Esfahan and Tehran or Izmir, or in Dubai and Bangalore or Dnipropetrovs'k. Oh and did I mention that Dubai is closer to Salerno in Italy than Tehran or even Izmir?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Rah! posted:

The straight shot from Seattle to Chicago is also nice, as well as the Korean peninsula not actually being separately drawn on the map even though there are seven Korean cities marked.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Personally I like the detour to Pyongyang when traveling to Beijing from Wuhan by way of Xi'an and Tianjin.
Kawasaki literally borders Tokyo but to get from one to the other you have to go to China. :psyduck:

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Rah! posted:

Even considering that it's stylised, Oslo - Gothenburg - Stockholm - Copenhagen (in that order) makes a huge detour to include Stockholm in the middle like that - would make slightly more sense to have it as the first point. And I'm sure Finns looking to visit Sweden would love to go through Poland, Russia and Germany (in that order :wtc: ) before getting here.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
While we're on ridiculous bridges that will never happen, here's the Bering Strait Bridge:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll get regular traffic and tour buses if that thing ever gets built.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

the jizz taxi posted:

You've got to understand though that not all of this assimilation was a violent or brutal process - for people who spoke a minority language, getting an education and learning French provided them with a way forward out of poverty and illiteracy. The idea behind imposing French was that it would emancipate people and turn them into involved citizens, instead of keeping them confined to a local, backwards culture. Of course, this is a misguided and heavy-handed belief, but it wasn't all as terrible as some people think it was.

I feel like I've posted about it in this thread before, but my father's family are very alsatian alsatians, some of whom came to America in the late 40s and some of whom stayed behind, and from all impressions I've gotten it was the Second Reich that did more quashing of alsatian culture and language than the french. They ruled the place like a colony. For example it was the Reich that primarily killed elsässerditsch by teaching standardized german in schools and settling lots of germany-germans in Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen. There were also by that time a lot of alsatians who had been francified naturally (remember, Strasbourg/Strossburi, never called Straßburg by natives, is the home of la Marseillaise) and were not happy about being forced to learn standard german, which was even to elsässerditsch speakers close to a foreign language.

Of course, Alsace was german during the period when breton and occitan really started to decline, so who knows whether that'd be true if not for the franco-prussian war. Nevertheless, the end result of it is that alsatians are some of the most conservative and (french-)nationalist voters in France.

Fun fact: there are today more alsatian-language centers in my home state of Texas than in the région of Alsace.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 10, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

While we're on ridiculous bridges that will never happen, here's the Bering Strait Bridge:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll get regular traffic and tour buses if that thing ever gets built.

Eh, I was more into the first one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HorseRenoir posted:

IIRC the bridge was mainly to hang an oil pipeline from it, but the political climate doesn't seem to favor sale of Russian petroleum to the US.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

IIRC the bridge was mainly to hang an oil pipeline from it, but the political climate doesn't seem to favor sale of Russian petroleum to the US.

Plus why would we want their oil? We have plenty of our own (and in Canada).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Alien Arcana posted:

In another thread (thought it was this one, but apparently not) there was a similar map which, by all appearances, was seriously meant as a theoretical worldwide train network. It had lines crossing, not only the Atlantic, but also the Pacific as well, including one that went from California to Australia by way of various Pacific islands. If I can dig it up again I'll post it here.

Yeah, I remember seeing something like this. Was it the PYF maps thread?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

vintagepurple posted:

I feel like I've posted about it in this thread before, but my father's family are very alsatian alsatians, some of whom came to America in the late 40s and some of whom stayed behind, and from all impressions I've gotten it was the Second Reich that did more quashing of alsatian culture and language than the french. They ruled the place like a colony. For example it was the Reich that primarily killed elsässerditsch by teaching standardized german in schools and settling lots of germany-germans in Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen. There were also by that time a lot of alsatians who had been francified naturally (remember, Strasbourg/Strossburi, never called Straßburg by natives, is the home of la Marseillaise) and were not happy about being forced to learn standard german, which was even to elsässerditsch speakers close to a foreign language.

Of course, Alsace was german during the period when breton and occitan really started to decline, so who knows whether that'd be true if not for the franco-prussian war. Nevertheless, the end result of it is that alsatians are some of the most conservative and (french-)nationalist voters in France.

Yeah, Germany was even more succesful than France in killing every native language they had. Sorbian is pretty much dead already, Frisian would be if it weren't for the Netherlands and the number of native low german speakers is going to reach something close to 0 in the next 60 years (in Germany at least, I think it's surviving in some areas in North and South America).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cebrail posted:

Yeah, Germany was even more succesful than France in killing every native language they had. Sorbian is pretty much dead already, Frisian would be if it weren't for the Netherlands and the number of native low german speakers is going to reach something close to 0 in the next 60 years (in Germany at least, I think it's surviving in some areas in North and South America).

And we still haven't managed to teach Bavarians proper German.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

vintagepurple posted:

People didn't get Frenchified 'naturally'. You get Frenchified because there is enormous sociological pressure bearing down on you, because educational, administrative and professional opportunities are linked to your knowledge of the prestigious, dominant language and, conversely, because cultural cringe is making you ashamed of your (parents') non-standardized peasant language. That's how it worked in reality.

Of course it's true that French culture is very republican and that there were no limits to your social mobility once you had mastered standard French, which made it an attractive option to many people, but it's still a stretch to call it a 'natural' process, let alone a voluntary one. You didn't have much of a choice unless you wanted to live a life of misery and ignorance, despised by your betters. This is a situation that was deliberately set up by the French and Belgian state apparatuses in the nineteenth century, and the fact that your father's family has those views (I could go to Brussels right now and hear francophones with Flemish last names repeat the exact same arguments, only with the local dialect instead of Alsatian) means that it was a very successful strategy, in France at least. In a way, I have to respect that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

cebrail posted:

Serbian and early Yugoslav governments provided funding to Sorbs to help them preserve the language and the culture from being assimilated by Germans and Poles (Serbian and Sorbian are as different as two Slavic languages and cultures can get, but friendly ties were quite strong, and one of our generals in WW1 was a Sorb, Pavle Sturm), but in the end, it just resulted in a number of them moving to Serbia to avoid assimilation pressure and, ironically, ending up assimilating into Serbian culture and language instead. There was a quarter of a million of them 300 years ago, but there's less than 50,000 Sorbs left by now, as far as I know. :( It's pretty sad, since they're one of the few Indo-European languages that preserved the dual grammatical number.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing something like this. Was it the PYF maps thread?

There's another maps thread? Why didn't anybody tell me this?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Trabisnikof posted:

Now to scale!

London

NYC

Shanghai

BART + MUNI

Barcelona

Tokyo

Moscow

Paris

Berlin

(http://fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/)
This is why BART looks so good, it is an incredibly sparse system.

Oops, 2 pages late.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish posted:

People didn't get Frenchified 'naturally'. You get Frenchified because there is enormous sociological pressure bearing down on you, because educational, administrative and professional opportunities are linked to your knowledge of the prestigious, dominant language and, conversely, because cultural cringe is making you ashamed of your (parents') non-standardized peasant language. That's how it worked in reality.

Of course it's true that French culture is very republican and that there were no limits to your social mobility once you had mastered standard French, which made it an attractive option to many people, but it's still a stretch to call it a 'natural' process, let alone a voluntary one. You didn't have much of a choice unless you wanted to live a life of misery and ignorance, despised by your betters. This is a situation that was deliberately set up by the French and Belgian state apparatuses in the nineteenth century, and the fact that your father's family has those views (I could go to Brussels right now and hear francophones with Flemish last names repeat the exact same arguments, only with the local dialect instead of Alsatian) means that it was a very successful strategy, in France at least. In a way, I have to respect that.

This simply wasn't the case in Alsace though, not to the extent that it was in Flanders or Brittany. The monarchy made no effort to discourage traditional practice in the region other than (of course) supporting the catholic church over the lutherans. For example, tariffs were raised on commerce between Alsace and France proper, but not between Alsace and Baden. Before 1792 it was almost entirely a case of alsatian townsfolk becoming bilingual out of convenience, and french speakers moving in. In the revolutionary period citizens were required to know french but this eased up after the fervor died down, and it wasn't until the 1850s that french became the primary language of instruction in schools. When the germans took over they began a policy of hardline teutonization that far outstripped anything France had done up to that point. France only really stepped up the cultural imperialism between 1918 and 1940.

Obviously the rise of french wasn't entirely natural, but it wasn't forced upon Alsace the way it was in other minority regions. That's not my family's view, it's found in history books.

It's also worth noting that Alsace was home to gauls before it was home to allemanic tribes, and the romanized gauls never completely disappeared- there was always a francophone minority in Alsace. Or at least speakers of a language that would, eventually, come to be called french via enforced literary standardization.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 10, 2014

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Soviet Commubot posted:

The white man's burden is a pretty gross concept, even when applied against other white people. If you don't find the idea of convincing people that their native language and culture is inherently backwards and inferior to be all that terrible I don't know what to say.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy to say "gently caress you" to Wahhabis

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There's a new line opening to the Airport in the next month or so and they're building a second line through the city centre, plus a new line through Trafford is in the works.

The main issue with the met is everything has to go through Cornbrook which is a lovely station where the points fail every couple of days. The new Airport line is going through it and the proposed Trafford Park line too, so it's only going to get worse.

It feels like every line is precision engineered to miss the area where I used to live and where my grandparents live (Denton/Stockport area). Although I guess the Ashton line comes fairly close to Denton. And Stockport's already on the West Coast Main Line, so I guess it doesn't need a tram.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 10, 2014

analogy6
Jul 1, 2004

OBAMAILURE

I found another ethnicity map of the near east!! Click-thru for huge!!

analogy6 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 10, 2014

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

HorseRenoir posted:

I like how it's one lane each way with no shoulder. One flat tire is all it takes to cut us off from Eurasia.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Nobody would be using it, so it'd be pretty easy to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

gently caress you, Cornbrook :argh:

I have to change there every day. I wish they would at least try and revamp the place to protect from the elements better. You'd think such a key station would be pretty not-poo poo but noooo.