Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

Granted, this was 35 years ago...

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Having a face hugger bust out of that cat and fight it's way out of that carrier, then chase Ripley all over the escape capsule would have been insane.

Facehuggers hug faces. Chestbursters burst out of chests.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

This checks out.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I guess I'm a chesthugger.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm a faceburster.

I vomit a lot.

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.

LoonShia posted:

I'm a faceburster.

I vomit a lot.

this post goes so well with your avatar

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

This checks out.

I'll believe it when Xenomrph confirms.

To contribute, my daughter was watching Toy Story the other day, and something woody said jumped out at me. When he's trying to convince Buzz to stop being such a sad sack, he says, "Other toys would give up their moving parts just to be you!"

Kinda reminds me of Cypher's flubbed line in the matrix at first, but really instead of emphasizing the wrong word, he's just making a really idiotic comparison. Giving up their moving parts to meet him, or see him, sure. But be him? Then there's no downside of giving up their moving parts, now is there? It's a completely pointless sacrifice because they get an entirely new body, and it's an incredibly popular one, to boot.

My point is, Woody is an idiot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

To contribute, my daughter was watching Toy Story the other day, and something woody said jumped out at me. When he's trying to convince Buzz to stop being such a sad sack, he says, "Other toys would give up their moving parts just to be you!"

Kinda reminds me of Cypher's flubbed line in the matrix at first, but really instead of emphasizing the wrong word, he's just making a really idiotic comparison. Giving up their moving parts to meet him, or see him, sure. But be him? Then there's no downside of giving up their moving parts, now is there? It's a completely pointless sacrifice because they get an entirely new body, and it's an incredibly popular one, to boot.

I think at that point Pixar was doing really well with the computers and physical comedy but hadn't really attracted the writing talent to make a film that was bulletproof to uh, these kinds of criticisms.

I was going to ask rhetorically if your daughter was upset by it but that seems kind of dickish.

To be honest I hate that kind of shoddy dialogue. And yet I really enjoyed The Room for just that reason.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't think he meant "Be a Buzz Lightyear action figure", more "Be the toy that the kid obsesses over". And Woody would know, being the former himself. He immediately says that a Buzz Lightyear toy has lights, laser, sound effects, and a helmet that does that whooshing thing. It's a matter that he can't compete with that to earn the attention of Andy anymore.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I watched one of the 300 films the other, day. The one with Eva Green in it. I became irrationally irritated by Greeks who would constantly and dramatically remove their helmets in the midst of battle. Never mind historial realism (because that would be dumb as gently caress to even try) but several times during that film we're treated to drawn out slow mo scenes of swords and arrows glancing off of helmets. The film is telling us how super important helmets are in the 300 universe and yet every five minutes the protagonist tears his off so he can glower at some distant enemy. I'm pretty sure in one scene he puts his helmet on, jumps into battle and pulls it off again all within the space of a few minutes. Why even bother putting it on?

I think I'm watching Pompeii later this weekend. As a fan of Roman history who has taken several courses on Pompeii I'm really looking forward to picking the corn out of that particular turd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr Scoofles posted:

I watched one of the 300 films the other, day. The one with Eva Green in it. I became irrationally irritated by Greeks who would constantly and dramatically remove their helmets in the midst of battle. Never mind historial realism (because that would be dumb as gently caress to even try) but several times during that film we're treated to drawn out slow mo scenes of swords and arrows glancing off of helmets. The film is telling us how super important helmets are in the 300 universe and yet every five minutes the protagonist tears his off so he can glower at some distant enemy. I'm pretty sure in one scene he puts his helmet on, jumps into battle and pulls it off again all within the space of a few minutes. Why even bother putting it on?

I think I'm watching Pompeii later this weekend. As a fan of Roman history who has taken several courses on Pompeii I'm really looking forward to picking the corn out of that particular turd.

The movie also had the secret weapon be a horse in a navel battle. Its stupidly ridiculous like everything else in that film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about the 300 sequel is that in the first movie there was the whole thing about Leonidas and crew proving that Xerxes wasn't actually a god and was just a normal guy. Then in the sequel there's a whole scene where you learn that no, Xerxes isn't just some normal guy considering he bathed in a magic pool of water that made him gigantic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well Xerxes being a demigod is way better as a movie villain premise than Xerxes as a lunatic who made a bridge out of boats and then ordered people to beat the water when it got destroyed.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

The movie also had the secret weapon be a horse in a navel battle. Its stupidly ridiculous like everything else in that film.

Oh poo poo I forgot about that. It took me a few seconds to catch on that the stupid horse was this amazing 'secret weapon', and it struck me as insanely dumb as the only thing the horse did was...allow some dude to jump onto an enemy ship. Something that people had been doing just fine for the entire first half of the film without horses.

I was also extremely let down by how lame Persian fire ended up being in that film. I was holding out for Game of Thrones style green mega fire loving ships up, not some weak rear end oil slicks on fire for a few minutes.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well Xerxes being a demigod is way better as a movie villain premise than Xerxes as a lunatic who made a bridge out of boats and then ordered people to beat the water when it got destroyed.

Except he totally* did that. Life is stranger than fiction.

*maybe, Herodotus liked to make poo poo up

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

LoonShia posted:

I'm a faceburster.

I vomit a lot.
I would assume you just had a really pimply face.

:barf:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

Something that bugs me about the 300 sequel is that in the first movie there was the whole thing about Leonidas and crew proving that Xerxes wasn't actually a god and was just a normal guy. Then in the sequel there's a whole scene where you learn that no, Xerxes isn't just some normal guy considering he bathed in a magic pool of water that made him gigantic.

I thought that was all propaganda by the greeks side making him larger than life. It was shown that Ava Green was the real power behind the crown, and he was just her puppet.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kinmik posted:

I would assume you just had a really pimply face.

Yes, that too. At least in my teenage years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I didn't know there was a sequel to 300 but now that I do I'm irrationally irritated that it wasn't called 302.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a very bizarre movie because it's both a sequel and a prequel to 300. The prequel part is super awkward because they very clearly didn't get Gerard Butler or Michael Fassbender.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Advertisers using Best Day of My Life in ads. It's the new song to play to show that this movie is going to make you feel good guys!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The actress playing Mattie in the original True Grit movie (honestly, the remake is way better) looks way too old and it's distracting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'm an idiot, aren't I? Yes. Yes I am. Regardless, either one of those two would have been scarier and more rational than "4 minutes ago it killed 2 crew members and now it's fast asleep in the escape pod."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

muscles like this? posted:

It's a very bizarre movie because it's both a sequel and a prequel to 300. The prequel part is super awkward because they very clearly didn't get Gerard Butler or Michael Fassbender.

I don't know why I couldn't recognise Fassbender in 300, he was in Band of Brothers as well for seven episodes. I've watched both several times, while knowing how he looks like from other roles but somehow he slips past me. I guess I've got brain problems!

Hey, you know who does a great Boston accent? Not Eric Bana in Deliver Us From Evil. It's one of those reeeaally distinct US accents that few non-natives can do well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aggressive pricing posted:

Except he totally* did that. Life is stranger than fiction.

*maybe, Herodotus liked to make poo poo up

That was my point. You go for realism and it just winds up being too silly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The movie poster for Automata has Antonio Banderas holding a gun, but he doesn't use one in the movie.

I hate that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Evil Dead (2013)

Is the forced rehab/detox of your heroin addicted sister really the time and place to introduce your new girlfriend to your family and friends? It seems like you should wait for a wedding or a birthday, some sort of happy gathering. Meeting your significant other's family can be awkward under the best of circumstances, let alone when their sister is going into opiate withdrawls and vomiting everywhere. I just think it would be really awkward is all I'm saying.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

mng posted:

I don't know why I couldn't recognise Fassbender in 300, he was in Band of Brothers as well for seven episodes. I've watched both several times, while knowing how he looks like from other roles but somehow he slips past me. I guess I've got brain problems!

Michael Fassbender is easily one of my favorite actors, he kinda has the Gary Oldman thing going where he can slip in really easily to any role.

I caught Bad Boys 2 on TV the other day, reminded how sad the action pieces were in that movie. Bridge chase, got an awesome concept (drug dealers dropping cars on cops, main dudes dodging wrecks left and right), but it's funny how unsatisfying the scene is to watch due to just the overall lack of tension and poo poo just happening. Now there's a car here, now it's there. gently caress it, they're everywhere. Scene just has horrible sense of geometry/space compared to other chase scenes (Road Warrior, Raid 2, Ronin). Similar thing with the informant shootout. Just because guns are going off and there are fancy camera sweeps does not make a cool action scene. I'm still confused how anyone in that shootout hit anybody, given they were basically just shooting walls until plot had to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaunab posted:

Advertisers using Best Day of My Life in ads. It's the new song to play to show that this movie is going to make you feel good guys!

ESPN have been using that song as the opening music for World Series of Poker for the last couple of years, and I despise it. If I ever catch the singer it'll be the last day of his life.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Gaunab posted:

Ugh, I was in a wedding a month or so back, and the bride insisted that the walk down the aisle be to this song.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Evil Dead (2013)

Is the forced rehab/detox of your heroin addicted sister really the time and place to introduce your new girlfriend to your family and friends? It seems like you should wait for a wedding or a birthday, some sort of happy gathering. Meeting your significant other's family can be awkward under the best of circumstances, let alone when their sister is going into opiate withdrawls and vomiting everywhere. I just think it would be really awkward is all I'm saying.

The people in that movie didn't have enough sense to not read a book wrapped in barbed wire, bound in human skin, that says "don't read this" all over it, I think I can forgive a social faux-pas.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sulphix posted:

Michael Fassbender is easily one of my favorite actors, he kinda has the Gary Oldman thing going where he can slip in really easily to any role.

I caught Bad Boys 2 on TV the other day, reminded me :words:

I hate that movie for so many reasons. One of the big gripes is how by the end of the film they have performed illegal searches, seizures, committed numerous felonies, invaded sovereign Cuban territory and murdered Cuban military and civilians all as part of their murder quest, then end by more or less assaulting an active US military base! Naturally just before the credits roll they are hanging out in the backyard laughing because there are literally zero consequences to their crimes.

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LeJackal posted:

I hate that movie for so many reasons. One of the big gripes is how by the end of the film they have performed illegal searches, seizures, committed numerous felonies, invaded sovereign Cuban territory and murdered Cuban military and civilians all as part of their murder quest, then end by more or less assaulting an active US military base! Naturally just before the credits roll they are hanging out in the backyard laughing because there are literally zero consequences to their crimes.

I loving hate rear end in a top hat protagonists that literally get away with murder because they are ostensibly the good guys.

To be fair, it's not called Good Boys II.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Stottie Kyek posted:

I think a lot of scenes in it we were meant to laugh at, lots of us did in the cinema when I saw it today. What annoyed me about Gone Girl was Neil Patrick Harris's character is the biggest, creepiest Nice Guy in the world, in fact I was expecting him to murder Amy for real in the lake house, but none of the other characters seemed to acknowledge that until after she killed him and "escaped". They were all saying "Poor thing, she accused him of stalking her" - but he absolutely did stalk her and pestered her with letters and showed up in the neighbourhood and all sorts, after twenty years! They made too much of the "bitches lie about this stuff to hurt innocent men" and not enough of the "maybe a few of these guys really were bad news, and this is the company Nick finds himself in" angle.

This is a few pages back but they thought that the stalking accusations could have been fake since she had already lied about the rape.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just watched Dracula Untold, and holy poo poo Luke Evans is like the flattest, most 2-dimensional portrayal of Dracula ever. The concept is good, I like the idea of telling the story of Dracula as the ruthless killer turned benevolent ruler and the sacrifices he has to make to save his family and his people. But it all just falls a bit flat, unfortunately. Not even the presence of Charles Dance can save it from itself.

However, I have to say that seeing Dracula just power-pwning the Turkish invaders and throwing them every which way like something out of Asterix was pretty hilarious.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was all propaganda by the greeks side making him larger than life. It was shown that Ava Green was the real power behind the crown, and he was just her puppet.

Yes, it was shown that a woman was the real power behind the Persian King in this story told by a woman who's husband (a King) had just died, leaving her to inspire her people (let's ignore that Sparta would have had 2 kings for a minute).

It's propaganda all the way down.

Dr Scoofles posted:

Corinthian helms were awful. They might look cool but they had huge visibility problems and were phased out pretty quickly in favour of much dorkier looking hats.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Better or worse dracula than the one in Van Helsing?

There will never be a better Dracula than the one in Van Helsing :colbert:

I have no emotions and that makes me so saaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LeJackal posted:

My biggest complaint with that film is where they drive through a shantytown on a cuban hillside and Martin Lawrence just goes "Look out! Drug labs!" as an excuse to have every single shack explode. After two and a half hours of insulting my intelligence, that's apparently where I draw the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Well I finally watched Pompeii and I am still in awe that anybody would cast Kit Harington as a hardman gladiator. And what on earth was going on with Kiefer Sutherland's accent? And why would a noble woman kneel in the mud and assist a slave in breaking a horses neck? What even happened to the horse anyway? The carriage wheel hit a small pothole and the horse threw itself onto the floor and had to have it's neck broken but what was wrong with it? Why did it just throw itself on the floor? Did it suddenly break it's own legs when the wheel went into the pothole even though nothing happened to the horse next to it? Was it too 'far gone' to live because the wheel going into the pothole startled it?

God I hated that film.