Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fangz posted:

Reading about Wolf Girl and Black Prince, and recalling the likes of Diabolik Lovers (because I sure as hell am not going to watch that sort of crap), when did shoujo romance turn into such a succession of abusive relationships?
What do you mean "turn into"? That sort of thing dates back at least to the Brontë sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The Devil Tesla posted:

There really isn't one but Gugure! Kokkuri-san was compared because it's the same voice actor being plagued by child.
Yeah, it's the same VA playing a semi-competent character who is having a bit of an identity crisis, and he ends up being a sort-of caretaker for a weird/energetic young girl who doesn't appear to have a family. It was mostly comedy but seemed like it might have some character development instead of just being all jokes all the time.

I haven't read the manga though, so I have no idea what it's actually going to be like once it introduces more characters and goes anywhere. The "like Barakamon" thing was mostly "in a very broad sweeping thematic sense" so probably don't get your hopes up.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SC Bracer posted:

It's really bad. I looked it up to see if it got any better, and no. gently caress that show. It's kind of baffling to me why shoujo has so many rapey/abusive male leads, considering that the genre is literally aimed at young girls, and often written by female authors.

The Patriarchy is a hell of a thing.

Paracelsus posted:

What do you mean "turn into"? That sort of thing dates back at least to the Brontë sisters.

Also this

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There are also plenty of anime shows where the milquetoast male lead puts up with a torrent of verbal and physical abuse from his 'tsundere' love interest.

So that's some equality right there!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as you can see, asking here is way easier and effective

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Mercrom posted:

What I saw it wasn't very offensive, just stupid. The only thing that stands out is the really weird gray area blackmail. On one hand he's technically protecting a secret for favors, but on the other he's not the one instigating it and to protect it he has to actively give her huge favors too. He seems more like just a dick than an abusive criminal dick, which is a pretty big difference in my mind. I remember immediately dropping Kare Kano because they guy blackmailed the girl into being his girlfriend, since that's a really loving retarded way to start a romance show.

This pops up a lot in anime/manga. Maybe not specifically the blackmail element but the idea that the characters' moral/social/ethical mores with regard to romantic relationships are so aggressively puritanical that they can't even acknowledge any interest in the opposite sex unless they are forced to by circumstances beyond their control. The whole "oh no, you tripped and fell on me and accidentally grabbed my boob, now you have to take responsibility" thing is a good example. Basically, my waifu would never compromise her purity and act like a normal human being unless it was against her will.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Mercrom posted:

Isn't there an anime where the male lead is literally the female lead's pet or familiar or whatever. It's almost as if women can make fetishistic anime too. :monocle:

Oh they can totally make fetishistic anime, and I understand why, but that doesn't make like 90% of shoujo relationships not really hosed up man.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

as you can see, asking here is way easier and effective

That was a joke, "Gugure!" translates to "Go Google It".

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

SC Bracer posted:

Oh they can totally make fetishistic anime, and I understand why, but that doesn't make like 90% of shoujo relationships not really hosed up man.
I'm hardly knowledgeable about shoujo since I don't read manga, but gender roles probably have a big role in those kinds of fetishes and views on romance. Though it also probably takes more talent writing eventful stories about healthy relationships, since conflict is so important for most fiction. Romance stuff aimed at males usually avoid this issue completely by being inserted as side stories to a larger plot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Nasty abusive relationships are kind of a shoujo constant. Hot Gimmick, for instance, had it get so bad that they had to bring someone else in to write an alternative ending afterwards in which the heroine did not end up with a sociopathic dick because even shoujo fans weren't putting up with that poo poo. Think the Mass Effect 3 patch, only with extra rape (or a more active dedication to removing rape, if you catch my drift).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 10, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

That was a joke, "Gugure!" translates to "Go Google It".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5TfUkRr7Qs

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

god drat, nichijou was so good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Slowly watching first/second episodes.

Your Lie in April is everything folks in here are saying it is. If it's well-written all the way through, it'll be great. I'm loving the music scenes.

My Bathtub Can't be this Merman was amusing. I think it's about as gay as I expected. It's short, so I'll watch this for as long as it doesn't bore me.

Is My Husband Speaking loving French? is also amusing and also short (though a bit less gay, even with the brother. Same verdict.

Chaika is Chaika.

Akatsuki no Yona is trying to be 12 Kingdoms and Fushigi Yuugi but without travelers from our world. I hope it's more the former. I dig the OP. Three episode test for this one.

Inou Battle was decent, but I don't particularly like the characters. I'll give it an episode or two more to convince me that they'll bounce off each other well. Alternatively, I suppose it could develop plot instead of depending solely on gags, but I'm not expecting that.

Grisaia has potential. I know nothing of the source material, but folks who've played it (a self-selecting group, I know) seem to have a decent opinion of it, so I'll probably watch this unless it turns out to be as bad an adaptation as, say, Little Busters.

UBW is a solid adaptation. Rin>Shiro &c. &c., but it should be good fun the whole way through.

I want to watch Amagi and Reconguista, but it's downright inconvenient to watch things that aren't on Crunchyroll. I know I'm going to like Log Horizon, but I think I'll let a few episodes pile up. Google it!, Twintail, and SHIROBAKO are next on the auction block. I suspect I don't have appetite enough for so many comedies, though, even without my Nozaki/Sabagebu weekends.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I suspect I don't have appetite enough for so many comedies, though, even without my Nozaki/Sabagebu weekends.

I'll say it again: Last season really laid the smack down when it came to comedies, with three tried and true formulas giving us Nozaki-kun (High Schoolers are idiots), Barakamon (iyashikei?) and Sabagebu! (awful people hijinks) all making for the sillies.

When was the last time an anime season had at least 3 all-killer-no-filler comedies?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Darth Walrus posted:

Nasty abusive relationships are kind of a shoujo constant. Hot Gimmick, for instance, had it get so bad that they had to bring someone else in to write an alternative ending afterwards in which the heroine did not end up with a sociopathic dick because even shoujo fans weren't putting up with that poo poo. Think the Mass Effect 3 patch, only with extra rape (or a more active dedication to removing rape, if you catch my drift).

drat, first time in years I've even thought of Hot Gimmick... The best thing I can say about that whole debacle is that it was interesting, with "interesting" meaning the same way a massive train-wreck or watching meat rot and be devoured by maggots is interesting.

Fortunately, Wolf Girl and Black Prince is the first anime I've seen in a while to really even allude to the "abusive man the heroine 'redeems' with a little love" angle, but truth be told, I don't know if that's because Japan is (slowly) moving away from that toxic fantasy, or I'm simply better at picking series than I was.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I need a new Index series in my life. Both Index s2 and Railgun s2 ended at such trollish cliffhanger points in the overall world / war arc.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Laughter Under the Clouds - Somehow I missed this when it happened. It was rather enjoyable, though I am thinking that what has been shown so far was only to introduce the characters and has litle to do with the plot. It looks like it could become dark. Is it supposed to be some supernatural thing?

Week 2 stuff!

Amagi Brilliant Park - EP2 - It was still enjoyable, though not quite as much as the last episode. It still has one more week to catch me.

G-Reco - EP3 - Still Gundam. Still a huge lack of sense. Have they spent the last few hundred years not doing any fighting whatsoever? There is such a lack of common sense abot military matters that I'm surprised that it is only now that other people are trying to attack them. I kind of think that this is the lamest Gundam jack I have ever seen. I'm going to ride this train to the end, praying all the way that everybody dies!

Garo - EP2 - Still interesting. My problem with it is that you don't really get a sense of motion when things are going fast. The plot is developing, characters are being introduced, and it looks like it will stay interesting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strong Mouse posted:

G-Reco - EP3 - Still Gundam. Still a huge lack of sense. Have they spent the last few hundred years not doing any fighting whatsoever? There is such a lack of common sense abot military matters that I'm surprised that it is only now that other people are trying to attack them. I kind of think that this is the lamest Gundam jack I have ever seen. I'm going to ride this train to the end, praying all the way that everybody dies!

It's brought up in the thread but basically the military literally is a bunch of untrained people, they imply that the army is so new that they haven't even officially unveiled its creation to the public yet. So the army consists of people that don't know what they're doing and the guards as basically mechanics with weapons.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
By "imply," of course, you mean that when the army is mentioned, someone straight up goes "Army? What the hell are you talking about?" :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
plus the people in charge were literally letting them "steal" the gundam.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Still better than Gundam Age?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

nuru posted:

Still better than Gundam Age?

what kind of question even is that

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

muike posted:

what kind of question even is that

Good point. Something being better than Age is a given.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The big difference is that the characters in G-Reco that do stupid things are intentionally being written as doing something stupid (usually for laffs), instead of pretending that it's not.

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 10, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hocus Pocus posted:

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso...Could be good, although a bit twee (in a grating way) at times - specifically the violinist.

Could be good but was also kind annoying sums up how I felt after watching the first episode. I was enjoying it pretty well until the kindergarten improv band and everything after it, so if it's more like the first 3/4 I'm in but if it's more like the last 1/4 no thanks.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'd be up for Lie in April much more if they didn't assume the viewers were morons. When the episode has a shrine to his dead mom, followed by a flashback that features him bloodied and bruised and saying "I'll play if it makes you get better" while said mom is in a wheelchair+ventilator and is holding a cane out at him, it is really easy to connect the dots, guys, you do not need to immediately explain the giant flashing "subtext." If you follow this up with him crying at the piano, why not just do a brief flash of her funeral or something instead of the "she died so I can't play piano now" voiceover?

Seriously. That isn't "hand-holding" so much as it's clubbing the viewers with your script.
(like his abusive dead mom)

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Einander posted:

Seriously. That isn't "hand-holding" so much as it's clubbing the viewers with your script.

It's a meta way to get the audience to empathize with the character! Except that we don't have to put up with it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Sekai Project is planning a Kickstarter to fund an English release of the Grisaia trilogy of visual novels:

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/lets-bring-the-grisaia-trilogy-to-the-west/2814/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress the new trigger show and I hope it sells gangbusters so the main characters in their next Real show have bigger tits.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just watched Rage of Bahamut, that was a fantastic episode. Favaro reminds me of Joseph Joestar, albeit not nearly as awesome, and Caesar played a great straight-man to him. Demon lady's demon getup was silly, but the action was all fantastic and I'm looking forward to watching more.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Sekai Project is planning a Kickstarter to fund an English release of the Grisaia trilogy of visual novels:

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/lets-bring-the-grisaia-trilogy-to-the-west/2814/

i hope they keep in all the sexy scenes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Genocyber posted:

Just watched Rage of Bahamut, that was a fantastic episode. Favaro reminds me of Joseph Joestar, albeit not nearly as awesome, and Caesar played a great straight-man to him. Demon lady's demon getup was silly, but the action was all fantastic and I'm looking forward to watching more.

Yeah that show was not on my radar but the first episode was so fun. I hope they can keep it up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Einander posted:

I'd be up for Lie in April much more if they didn't assume the viewers were morons. When the episode has a shrine to his dead mom, followed by a flashback that features him bloodied and bruised and saying "I'll play if it makes you get better" while said mom is in a wheelchair+ventilator and is holding a cane out at him, it is really easy to connect the dots, guys, you do not need to immediately explain the giant flashing "subtext." If you follow this up with him crying at the piano, why not just do a brief flash of her funeral or something instead of the "she died so I can't play piano now" voiceover?

You realise there is a very deliberate point in there. Most dead moms are held at some kind of angelic ideal, this one was cruel and abusive, and that sets up a conflict within the MC. This is what actually makes the show interesting.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Lie in April reminded me a bit of Kids/Apollo on the Slope, and that's high praise. Maybe even some shades of Honey & Clover. The world needs more Shonen romance series. (not counting trashy harem & VN series as "romance", at best they're more like melodrama i.e. Clannad)

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Since no one seems to have said it in this thread, I'm gonna bring it up: despite the appearance, Lord Marksman and Vanadis is a proper medieval fantasy show (as much as you can get in these days) that you probably won't hate.

Baseline: it's solidly written and directed YA fiction with actual elements of medieval warfare such as hostages, ransom, and feudal lords supplying their own troops, constrained by limited budget and obligatory light novel fanservice.

From what I gather, the author of the book this is based on really just wants to write no-bullshit YA fantasy, but he's stuck with a publisher that requires him to add light novel fanservice and horrendous illustrations. This makes the story a surprising good fit with Tatsuo Sato, who is directing and writing this show.

The show might get schizophrenic down the line, since it's driven by several different forces: it wants to be gritty warfare where people are senselessly killed, yet it must protect its young main characters with magical power; it wants to be serious, yet the publisher ruled there must be magical war maidens at least some of whom are the protagonist's love interests. But so far, this combination has worked.

P.S. The "Lord Marksman" part of the title is a reference to the German legend of "magic bullet", as in the opera Der Freischütz.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phobophilia posted:

You realise there is a very deliberate point in there. Most dead moms are held at some kind of angelic ideal, this one was cruel and abusive, and that sets up a conflict within the MC. This is what actually makes the show interesting.

I think you need to read that post again and a bit more carefully.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

cuc posted:

Since no one seems to have said it in this thread, I'm gonna bring it up: despite the appearance, Lord Marksman and Vanadis is a proper medieval fantasy show (as much as you can get in these days) that you probably won't hate.

I mentioned it way back before everything started airing since I ended up reading the light novels on a whim. As long as you can accept that practically every female character will fall in love with the main character, it's probably a solid enough story full of military engagements and cold-blooded sniping. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet though due to a lot of other shows taking priority.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Strong Mouse posted:

Laughter Under the Clouds - Somehow I missed this when it happened. It was rather enjoyable, though I am thinking that what has been shown so far was only to introduce the characters and has litle to do with the plot. It looks like it could become dark. Is it supposed to be some supernatural thing?

IIRC it has influences from JP mythology and something about cursed people? I might start reading the manga to get a better idea of what is going on too.

Wolf Girl and Black Prince: It's a good idea to quit early because it's a pretty meh shoujo from the last time I tried reading it. Main love interest continues to be a jerk for awhile due the fact his mother never hugged him enough or w/e.

I almost forgot Hot Gimmick and it's horrible relationships :sigh:

No idea Horimiya had a OVA before and I know what I'm going to look for now.

Your Lie in April I thought the summary sounded interesting but the trailer is just not really. I'm on the fense wrt to music-themed series because my past negative exp w/band...

Alder fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 11, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Garo seems pretty awesome so far.

The father is a fun character, but by god is the son really annoying. They've tried so hard to make him "cool" that he has almost no personality in the first two episodes except for "whines a lot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Shakugan posted:

Garo seems pretty awesome so far.

The father is a fun character, but by god is the son really annoying. They've tried so hard to make him "cool" that he has almost no personality in the first two episodes except for "whines a lot".

Welp, I'd say his son's personality is fairly accurate when I was his age :sigh:

PARENTS DON'T UNDERSTAND MY INNER PAIN and all. Oh, and never seen/watched the original either. Although, I do want Leon's badass longcoat which stands out a lot in not-Europe but who cares :v:

• Locked thread