Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'd be surprised if Age of Ultron isn't the event that people go, Oh poo poo, we do need SHIELD!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BreakAtmo posted:

Finding the bar you just set would require lots of digging.

Sounds like the sort of thing a dog would come in handy for...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Did they ever give a reason why they were using live ammo instead of icers when going after Gill?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah, too bad Ward totally shot him :v:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

Did they ever give a reason why they were using live ammo instead of icers when going after Gill?

Because Shield has never been afraid of using lethal force when necessary, and stunning Hydra operatives is useless when Shield can't be sure that they will be able to stick around and lock up the targets afterwards?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Because Shield has never been afraid of using lethal force when necessary, and stunning Hydra operatives is useless when Shield can't be sure that they will be able to stick around and lock up the targets afterwards?

But when they're going after a VIP that they're not 100% sure would comply and also has lethal powers wouldn't knocking him out be a good choice since he's not a Hydra operative?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Floppychop posted:

But when they're going after a VIP that they're not 100% sure would comply and also has lethal powers wouldn't knocking him out be a good choice since he's not a Hydra operative?

At this point, they're basically at war with Hydra. Also, I imagine that supplies are limited and it certainly sounded like Icer ammunition is complicated and expensive to manufacture. Bullets are pretty cheap and Coulson's on a budget. I also don't think Skye would have been ordered to kill Gill if he wasn't in the process of freezing May and Hunter to death. There's also the matter of him possibly being able to freeze the icer poison on contact, but I don't think anyone mentioned that at all. Obviously, we never saw him go full on Iceman and create armor for himself, but you have to think that, given his power level, icers might not be the best idea.

Then again, Gill had apparently gone off the deep end even before Hydra reactivated his brainwashing. Given he was indiscriminately killing folks (the guy who owned the cafe/inn wasn't exactly a bad guy, and he straight up murdered that dude), maybe Coulson would have still ordered it, but at least there's a reason behind it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If it comes to the point where they have to shoot at him, they can't assume that they'll also have the time to take him into custody (or the capability to hold him).

They went in with a plan. Attempt to do it first without shooting anyone. If shooting became necessary, it had better end the threat permanently.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a "inhuman"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

A convenient way for ABC to get around the fact that Fox owns X-Men and mutants.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 10, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a "inhuman"

/\ Like he said.

Superpowered humans who got their powers from aliens instead of evolution. Basically a way to have mutants without using the term mutant.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a more interesting debate than the Laurel poo poo that happens in the Arrow thread.

Is... is this a DC thing?

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a "inhuman"

Inhumans are human/Kree hybrids who gain a random mutation when exposed to a substance called Terrigen.

They are basically mutants who gain their powers when they are exposed to Terrigen instead of when they hit puberty.

The guy Coulson found in a tube last season was almost certainly a Kree, and one of/the bad guy/s from Guardians Of The Galaxy is a Kree... Kree are mostly just blue dudes who otherwise look human.

The Inhumans were originally in the Fantastic Four comic book, as "wacky potential in-laws" for the Human Torch, IIRC.

They have/had a secret society, until their leader, Black Bolt (whose power was/is the full fury of a Tenacious D song) created an aerosol bomb with the world's remaining Terrigen which, while totally harmless to humans, is activating Inhumans left and right, currently.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought the blue thing was a frost giant from Thor.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It was human-sized and blue and Garrett and Coulson's exposures to the serum derived from it has left them with some weird obsession with what seems to be a fairly complex piece of Kree writing. It also had an Easter egg that referred to the Kree, and the Kree got name-dropped in the show already. It's pretty safe to say it was a Kree in that tube.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder what would happen if Tobias Fünke were exposed to the mists... would he be able to get his rocks off?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Lord Bude posted:

Cosmo: Agent of Shield!

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

PantsOptional posted:

It was human-sized and blue and Garrett and Coulson's exposures to the serum derived from it has left them with some weird obsession with what seems to be a fairly complex piece of Kree writing. It also had an Easter egg that referred to the Kree, and the Kree got name-dropped in the show already. It's pretty safe to say it was a Kree in that tube.

Inhumans are also linked to the Kree (can't remember the whole backstory), so I'm almost certain that was a Kree. Question about rights though, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both mutants, how did they manage to get them into Avengers (even though they are Avengers, hell Spider-man is an Avenger).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Scapegoat posted:

Inhumans are also linked to the Kree (can't remember the whole backstory), so I'm almost certain that was a Kree. Question about rights though, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both mutants, how did they manage to get them into Avengers (even though they are Avengers, hell Spider-man is an Avenger).

They'll have a different origin for their powers, presumably to do with Hydra experimentation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
They managed to argue the point with Fox that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are tied more heavily to the Avengers than the X-Men.

Also it looks like they might just be making them inhumans rather than mutants to skirt the issues in the MCU.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those two fell into a weird rights loophole where yes, they are traditionally mutants they aren't really X-Men characters.

The movie explanation for their powers is they got experimented on by Hydra using one of the Infinity Gems.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scapegoat posted:

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver joined the avengers in 65 and Scarlet Witch was involved with that franchise ever sense. Quicksilver was also involved with it except he was part of X-factor and some other x-titles. However this was in the 90s, so he was an Avengers character for 30 years at that point. Spider-man joined the avengers in the early 2000, so that really is not a factor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Spiderman and a LOT of other Marvel heroes are Honourary/Reserve Avengers which means they're not part of the core team but have a perfect excuse to interact with Avengers characters and make cameo appearances.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aren't they also forbidden from referring to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver by name in the MCU? They can use the characters, but just not call them by name. I thought I had read that somewhere.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 10, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

Aren't they also forbidden from referring to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver by name in the MCU? They can use the characters, but just not call them by name.

You mean the names Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? I've never heard anything about them not being able to call them that. I think the only thing is they can't refer to them as Magneto's children.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Deadpool posted:

I think the only thing is they can't refer to them as Magneto's children.

My brother and I were wondering how they were gonna address this. So it sounds like the MCU will just ignore that point altogether?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deadpool posted:

You mean the names Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? I've never heard anything about them not being able to call them that. I think the only thing is they can't refer to them as Magneto's children.

Ah, must have gotten mixed up somehow. Also, they apparently can't call them mutants either.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Xtanstic posted:

My brother and I were wondering how they were gonna address this. So it sounds like the MCU will just ignore that point altogether?

To be fair the X-Men movie did too

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Xtanstic posted:

They'll surely just be orphans. Their parentage really doesn't need to be addressed anyway unless it's relevant to the story.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rarity posted:

To be fair the X-Men movie did too

No they didn't. After hearing Magneto could control metal, Quicksilver tossed out a throwaway line about his mom once knowing a guy who could do that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I actually did hear/read a rumor that they either weren't going to use their real names, or they were using their code names. Now I can't remember which. I feel like it was around the same time the info that they were not going to be inhumans hit the web.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bull3964 posted:

Ah, must have gotten mixed up somehow. Also, they apparently can't call them mutants either.

I think I heard a completely BS rumor once that Fox can only call them by their real names but MCU can only call them by their code names but, as mentioned, it was completely made up/speculation.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I think I heard a completely BS rumor once that Fox can only call them by their real names but MCU can only call them by their code names but, as mentioned, it was completely made up/speculation.

Was he Quicksilver or Pietro in the Xmen movie?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scapegoat posted:

Was he Quicksilver or Pietro in the Xmen movie?

Peter Maximoff.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

Unless the inhumans are introduced in Age of Ultron, and the finale might reveal that Skye is one.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Rubbish, while they won't be introducing Blackbolt anytime soon they can lay the groundwork, have some mysterous characters, the big reveal with a movie then full steam ahead like they did with Hydra.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

Or instead of making pointless concrete declarations for no reason, we could be a bit more rational and guess that the group known as "The Inhumans" will not debut on the show, but the general "race" might in some capacity do so, even if they aren't named inhumans until after a movie does so. We've already had Kree named dropped and likely shown on the show months before Kree popped up in a movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Or instead of making pointless concrete declarations for no reason, we could be a bit more rational and guess that the group known as "The Inhumans" will not debut on the show, but the general "race" might in some capacity do so, even if they aren't named inhumans until after a movie does so. We've already had Kree named dropped and likely shown on the show months before Kree popped up in a movie.

Hell there is the rumor that a character from the show is going to be in the movie, so he might bring the group intel about them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Scapegoat posted:

The Avengers don't have a "No Mutants Allowed" sign on the clubhouse door. Hank, Wolvie and Storm were all members for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gynovore posted:

The Avengers don't have a "No Mutants Allowed" sign on the clubhouse door. Hank, Wolvie and Storm were all members for a while.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were some of the original recruits. They joined the same time as Hawkeye. Cap's Quirky Quartet

• Locked thread