Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We've had outages at work and I've never lost Maya access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You won't loose access with an outage - you check in and check out. Even with cc I can stop it from updating, it's just my license exists on their server instedown of ours. For most of us it's going to mean we can check out at work and use the software at home and have our employers pay for it - they (autodesk/adobe) also get a more reliable and predictable income so managing their finances becomes much easier. Honestly for me this kind of poo poo is a good thing, and i dont think im in the minority. You take on a big job and need to hire freelancers for a couple months - rent what they need for only as long as they need it.
I won't deny that it's bad for a lot of people but I totally understand why a company of that size will do it.

Also lol and making people think of dicks and also thank you guys for enjoying it. I made that for me because I thought it was beautiful so it's nice to other people appreciate it. A full personal project never gets finished so I'm trying to do smaller things that have more inpact. Those posts meant a lot :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Subscription based licensing is pretty great for a small studio/solo person too. It's not a gigantic cash hit, and usually works out way cheaper in the long run too because of the reduced fees plus you're getting constant updates rather than having to fork out for updated editions.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Every license change Autodesk makes is to screw you out of more money. There's no point in weighing out the pros/cons because it isn't optional in the first place. You either pay ADSK or you don't.

I do remember that if you lost your XSI license you would have a license/save dialogue popup. I think it was Max that if you lost your license your session would simply be ended with no save opportunity. So a license server issue would be pretty catastrophic for hundreds of artists very quickly.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's not true for max anymore - our it guy had to take the license server down a while ago so he got everyone on the 3d team to open max before he did it and told us not to close it. It worked fine but if you closed it, it wouldn't start.
If it's anything like cc too, instead of having a license server it checks every time you open the software when you check in it moves the license to your local machine (and can be used offline) until you check out and send it back to their server.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Haha, I'm not even positive it was max, but highly suspected it was. I just remember our servers going down and we would do the regular "save locally" emergency plan and one application was like "gently caress YOU! YOU NO SAVE!" and we just had to sort of deal with it in the best way be knew how. We went to the bar.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Finally got Zbrush and have been doing my best to get the anatomy nice enough for a normal map. Using a Intuos Pro and finding the process fairly intuitive. Doing this in 3d with the option to put in so much detail really makes it obvious how much i have to learn about anatomy.

Also how to scale? The fingers were too small on the imported model and trying to lengthen the fingers with the brush tool just makes them wig out really bad.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Eastdrom posted:

Also how to scale? The fingers were too small on the imported model and trying to lengthen the fingers with the brush tool just makes them wig out really bad.

You can mask out everything but the finger you want to scale, then switch to the scale tool (keyboard shortcut E), then you can scale the unmasked geometry and nothing else will be affected. The move/scale/rotate widget is a pain to learn though, and I've run into buggy behavior when trying to scale with symmetry.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I really liked this and thought it was really well done. It did look a bit like dicks to me, maybe its a case of Penidolia?? Also I find straight up Max Richter/Philip Glass reverbed piano a bit cheesy/cliche. It's on the Nature of Daylight worthy, especially since it is so beautifully lit.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I know, it's such a safe choice because it works over anything slow. I was trying to make the music myself but i've not finished anything for months and had been sat on this for 2 weeks unable to edit it. It was going to be the first clip in here - https://soundcloud.com/downpour/bits-and-pieces/comment-203954037
But I couldn't expand it beyond what's there.

I tried to find some ben frost but none of it was gelling. I've heard that max richter track but didn't think to consider it, will keep it in mind for the next one.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I find all the St-Germain-des-prés volumes fit pretty much every ambient thing I've seen or done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiVMu7_XGs

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
that's a bit too fluffy for my tastes. if i'm not using philip glass, it's emptyset or someone similar...

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been wanting to get into 3d scanning, could somebody point me in the right direction? I don't know where to start.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, good to hear that subscription-based won't be a disaster.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Kanine posted:

I've been wanting to get into 3d scanning, could somebody point me in the right direction? I don't know where to start.

Agisoft photoscan. Take good, sharp photos on an overcast day (or with ambient interior lighting) and get abut 50 per object. Run them through the software and see what happens. (It's supposed to take hours)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Here's the thing I was messing with planets and liquid and stuff for earlier. It's a little cheesy but I feel like I'm improving. I need to try more modelling and stuff now!

cubicle gangster, the opening of the phoenix video looked more like a certain kind of mushroom than phalluses imo. Really beautiful stuff - it's way more creamy and natural than I thought sim'd liquids could look (christ, the liquid in mine is garbage compared to yours lol). What sort of machine did you render it on?

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:

Hbomberguy posted:

Here's the thing I was messing with planets and liquid and stuff for earlier. It's a little cheesy but I feel like I'm improving. I need to try more modelling and stuff now!

It's getting there! I think the first thing that really popped out to me was it has sort of a fisheye look to it as the camera's spinning around the earth. If you take the camera out a bunch and then zoom in, it may feel a little less like the earth's inside a little bubble of stars and give it a bit more of a sense of scale.

The other thing I'd say for a pretty easy improvement is that the atmosphere should be more of a 'glow' instead of a solid sphere. Have a look at images like this for reference:

Not sure what you're using, but in C4D I've found it really easy to make a light with a visible emission and no light emission, and then sized it slightly larger than the earth and offset it so it's pointing at the sun. I'm guessing you can do it similarly in other programs - gives it a nice look without loving around with fog shaders or whatever (and renders quicker!).

Had to get a copy of DEM Earth for a project, and thought I'd familiarise myself with it a bit this evening. Really cool plugin, I took some terrain from Tuscany, messed with some settings, created a few procedural shaders and make it a bit more arctic! The foreground's not really super detailed, because I started playing with displacements to make a road and then got bored. Could do with some touching up/snow piling against the rocks but I'm pretty happy with it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hbomberguy posted:

cubicle gangster, the opening of the phoenix video looked more like a certain kind of mushroom than phalluses imo. Really beautiful stuff - it's way more creamy and natural than I thought sim'd liquids could look (christ, the liquid in mine is garbage compared to yours lol). What sort of machine did you render it on?

thanks :) It was an i7, nothing special. It's just a 220million cell grid, that resulted in sim files of over 300mb each (for 400 frames). 4min a frame on average, so took a little over 24hrs to calc on a spare render machine.

For yours i'd drop the time scale a bit and increase the viscosity - it looks like chocolate but is too watery.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

It's a great experiment, cubicle gangster, I hope to see more, although I would like to add that it's really cool how much you spend time helping other people here. I'm particularly grateful since the advice you've given me was useful, simple, and quite counterintuitive (e.g., go for it, don't lie about skills or boast about competence) and even though I was pretty afraid of trying to apply, I ended up getting the job I most wanted! So thank you :shobon: Also Nichols' Gnomon Workshop GI tutorial is excellent, the computer science behind the scenes is fascinating in itself.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Faces are super fun. Hoping that learning the 3d forms of a face intimately will improve my drawing AND my sculpting.

Can anyone tell me what to look for? I think it's coming together but still isn't right.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just finished this tutorial that was posted earlier in the thread. It was pretty good but the materials and rendering section was a little harder to follow- it was a bit light on the why and too heavy on "just do this", so for some sections I was just copying what he did, and in some spots he changed settings without commenting on it and I had to go into his supplied scene files to find out the settings he used.

Anyway, I tried rendering out my results, and I'm getting a tiling effect that corresponds to my bucket size. I know next to nothing about lighting and rendering- mostly ever rendered out from Zbrush or using toon shaders, and it's my first time using Mantra. Any suggestions from you seasoned pros on why I would get tiling in my render and what I could do to correct it? I'm assuming I've got something goofed up in my settings somewhere but I don't know what to fix. Just knowing conceptually why this artifact would pop up in a render would be helpful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, quick question. Can you use Zbrush to paint uv's in a project master style or is it really only for vertex painting? I don't want to subdivide a mesh I have and it's low poly, but I'd prefer to use it to photoshop's projection painting if I can.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

concerned mom posted:

Hi guys, quick question. Can you use Zbrush to paint uv's in a project master style or is it really only for vertex painting? I don't want to subdivide a mesh I have and it's low poly, but I'd prefer to use it to photoshop's projection painting if I can.

Paint resolution is linked to mesh density I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can subdivide without smoothing to preserve the shape, then create the texture from that and use it on your original geometry. Alternatively you can GoZ into Photoshop and paint from there onto the texture. Havent used projection master in a long while though so I'm not sure if you can projection master directly onto a texture map.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Alternatively, 3D Coat has per-pixel painting on mesh (as opposed to per-poly).

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
I present:

The World's Ugliest Chandelier.

It's part of a much bigger thing which will take up craploads of my time, but I'm just gonna work on it whenever I want to so I don't burn out on it. Looking forward to OCDing over the worn iron/metal shader. :)

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Few tutorials later and i think the face is reading a lot better. Also, thank god for the pinch tool.
So much effort wasted getting small valleys with the clay tool. :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eastdrom posted:

So much effort wasted getting small valleys with the clay tool. :negative:

You want the dam_standard tool.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Tried simulating water droplets on the weird blue man I use for all my test projects as part of my continuing quest to learn how to make liquids without ever learning how to loving model anything.

I know I'm asking fairly pre-emptively for my skill level but, what places are good to find freelance work? A friend recommended some places but he hasn't done freelance for about six years so the lay of the land has probably changed quite a bit.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hbomberguy posted:

Tried simulating water droplets on the weird blue man I use for all my test projects as part of my continuing quest to learn how to make liquids without ever learning how to loving model anything.

I know I'm asking fairly pre-emptively for my skill level but, what places are good to find freelance work? A friend recommended some places but he hasn't done freelance for about six years so the lay of the land has probably changed quite a bit.

That turned out pretty great, any info to share? :D

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I kind of miss the days when Softimage would crash and the error would say:

"Soft Will Die Now". Ah... the 90's... Now XSI is being discontinued. :(

Here is a monowheel I am rebuilding from scanned data in Maya. Really liking how they absorbed NEX.

A little more

Scan:

Listerine: Wish I could help you. That seems like a render region that didn't go away for some reason. Please post once you figure it out. I really want to go through that tut some day.

OtherCubed: Nice environment! C4D has really come a long way over the years. I know a few VJs who love it.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 11, 2014

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Listerine: Wish I could help you. That seems like a render region that didn't go away for some reason. Please post once you figure it out. I really want to go through that tut some day.

Yeah I changed a bunch of render settings, reduced the noise a lot but I'm still getting the same tiling effect, and it's happening in the same places in the image itself. No idea why and this is above my ability to work out. But I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Listerine posted:

Yeah I changed a bunch of render settings, reduced the noise a lot but I'm still getting the same tiling effect, and it's happening in the same places in the image itself. No idea why and this is above my ability to work out. But I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Hmm, yeah, a stuck render region like sigma suggested is the only thing I can really think of either. Are you rendering straight to disk or saving from the render view tab? Also, have you played around with the camera at all? It would be interesting to see if you get this in different camera angles as well.

I'd check out the Side Effects and odforce.net forums next and if you don't get any bites there you can submit a bug report to Side Effects. They have excellent support and if it is a bug they'll get you sorted out quickly.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I have no what this is about, but i can't seem to fix it.
I think that i've got two separate materials applied to the mesh, but i can't figure out to get rid of the red one.
Maybe i switched to 'M' during modelling accidentally. I managed to undo the first time but i'm a bit hazy on how. Any ideas?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eastdrom posted:

I have no what this is about, but i can't seem to fix it.
I think that i've got two separate materials applied to the mesh, but i can't figure out to get rid of the red one.
Maybe i switched to 'M' during modelling accidentally. I managed to undo the first time but i'm a bit hazy on how. Any ideas?

uncheck "Add/Sub/MRGB" and only have RGB selected. Select a color you like, then click Color>Fill Object

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

mutata posted:

Alternatively, 3D Coat has per-pixel painting on mesh (as opposed to per-poly).

As does Mari :) If anyone in this thread is interested I can look at getting them a nice long eval of Mari to play with.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I exclusively use Blender for modelling, unwrapping, sculpting and painting :smugmrgw:

At this stage is definitely clear my skill would be the bottleneck, not the software

(Plus blender owns, gently caress the haters. anyone who hates the UI must be a redneck idiot poo poo-fucker)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

forelle posted:

As does Mari :) If anyone in this thread is interested I can look at getting them a nice long eval of Mari to play with.

I wants it!

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

uncheck "Add/Sub/MRGB" and only have RGB selected. Select a color you like, then click Color>Fill Object

He's gonna want to have the M selected instead, because he has two materials applied.

Also! If you want to clear the material so it changes to whatever material you have selected automatically, you're gonna want to fill it with the Flat Color material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Oh man The Foundry dudes called me up and asked me if I used Mari and I told them I didn't use it much but was looking forward to trying it out. I figured they'd give me a free license or something to start getting more indepth with it but they just finished the call and I was like, erm, okay. I want to get into Mari! But I definitely don't have the money to buy it.

Ready At Dawn's pipeline for Mari stuff seems sick, it would be pretty cool to work in that kind of workflow here at Gearbox. Not sure how the Unreal 3/UE4 integration is but they should really work with each other to figure out how to mirror shaders in Mari with shaders in UE4/UE3.