Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Oh hey, congrats on the black belt father dog, I had you mentally rolodexed as a brown belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Your priorities in class -

1) Don't hurt your partner
2) Don't hurt yourself
3) Learn

Your priorities in a tournament -

1) Don't hurt yourself
2) Win
3) Don't hurt your opponent, if you can help it.

Keep both of those lists very firmly in mind.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Oh hey, congrats on the black belt father dog, I had you mentally rolodexed as a brown belt.

Thanks. I got it December of last year, if you search my posts in this thread I think I had a picture or two.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

sweep your opponent onto the concrete, onto the timekeeper's table, or into the ref. It's a tournament. You don't know this person and you have no reason to suspect they won't do the same to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45CtWFgzCqo&t=925s

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTu55hZGwx8&t=85s

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Winning an ameteur competition for my hobby is always a higher priority than preventing injury of other people who do my hobby.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gadamer posted:

Winning an ameteur competition for my hobby is always a higher priority than preventing injury of other people who do my hobby.

Ahahaha what the gently caress is this.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Gadamer posted:

Go play badminton, dude.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I admit IBJJF tournament rules are a byzantine mystery to me

But if you swept a guy onto concrete would you really not get penalized or DQ'd for it? The ref would just reset you?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Gadamer posted:

Lol its a fight dude

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gadamer posted:

When the goal of the competition is to "kill" your opponent, yes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

I admit IBJJF tournament rules are a byzantine mystery to me

But if you swept a guy onto concrete would you really not get penalized or DQ'd for it? The ref would just reset you?

The ref has already hosed up by not resetting you by that point (or the tournament sucks by not having enough mat space), but no, it would not be a penalty unless it was deemed you did something maliciously. Like, if you pick a guy up in a fireman's carry, walk over to the scorer's table, and dump your opponent on it, that's not good, and it's why there's usually a catch-all "unsportsmanlike conduct" rule for competitions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Like, if you pick a guy up in a fireman's carry, walk over to the scorer's table, and dump your opponent on it, that's not good.

I disagree vehemently, that would be cool as poo poo.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Don't forget about the intimidation factor too. Some people make sure (in tournaments) to finish every takedown and land in top position, whether or not they'll stay in bounds or get points for it, because it sends a nonverbal message to the opponent like "I will stop at nothing to win this." Not to mention that being taken down out of bounds can really spike an person's adrenaline and mess with their rhythm/composure after the reset.

I'm in favor of maintaining control, I think that's where I draw the line. Don't exhaust yourself hulking out and trying to throw your opponent into the stands, but also don't give up on a good controlled attack just because you're not going to get the points for it.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The ref has already hosed up by not resetting you by that point (or the tournament sucks by not having enough mat space), but no, it would not be a penalty unless it was deemed you did something maliciously. Like, if you pick a guy up in a fireman's carry, walk over to the scorer's table, and dump your opponent on it, that's not good, and it's why there's usually a catch-all "unsportsmanlike conduct" rule for competitions.

Cool

In that case

Sweep'em

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What combat sport are you training in where competition is some light and breezy game of paddy cake?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

origami posted:

What combat sport are you training in where competition is some light and breezy game of paddy cake?

Based on that karate tournament from espn that I watched the other night, probably that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tae Kwon Do.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Those are not hug based so I'm curious if folks are training in bjj or sambo or whatever and don't understand that it's okay to be a bit mean when competing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
DGAF, if you intentionally throw yer opponent into a table or concrete, yer a thug.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Randy Orton would be a menace in BJJ comps. How many points is an RKO through the timekeepers table? Has to be at least worth 6 points if you end up rolling onto their back.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

DGAF, if you intentionally throw yer opponent into a table or concrete, yer a thug.

My opponent is trying to do their best to choke or armlock me, and quite probably doing their best to throw me onto concrete or into a table themselves. If you have the opportunity for a sweep, go for that sweep. If the opponent lands on the concrete, it's the fault of them and the referee, whose job it is to dictate whether or not the contestants need to be positionally reset.

Also, when you've been training for a month, and multiple people who have been training for years/decades disagree with you, and the only person who agrees with you has also only been training a month, you might consider that your considered moral position comes from a position of ignorance and should probably be soft-peddled till you've actually found yourself in a remotely analogous situation.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

Those are not hug based so I'm curious if folks are training in bjj or sambo or whatever and don't understand that it's okay to be a bit mean when competing.
I'm going full on Palheres in some high school gymnasiums for that NAGA gold.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherdog posted:

My opponent is trying to do their best to choke or armlock me, and quite probably doing their best to throw me onto concrete or into a table themselves. If you have the opportunity for a sweep, go for that sweep. If the opponent lands on the concrete, it's the fault of them and the referee, whose job it is to dictate whether or not the contestants need to be positionally reset.

Also, when you've been training for a month, and multiple people who have been training for years/decades disagree with you, and the only person who agrees with you has also only been training a month, you might consider that your considered moral position comes from a position of ignorance and should probably be soft-peddled till you've actually found yourself in a remotely analogous situation.

Lots of words that don't mean anything. If you're intentionally hurting someone, you're a thug.

These are my morals, they're different to yours but they're not going to change no matter what color belt i wear.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Lots of words that don't mean anything. If you're intentionally hurting someone, you're a thug.

These are my morals, they're different to yours but they're not going to change no matter what color belt i wear.

I don't think you understand the basic premise of combat sports.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

I don't even, like, what

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Lots of words that don't mean anything.

You are pretty bad at arguing.

quote:

If you're intentionally hurting someone, you're a thug.

MagicCube posted:

I don't think you understand the basic premise of combat sports.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

have you ever competed in literally any grappling or combat sport? even high school wrestling you learned that right quick

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I thought you sociopaths were joking but apparently not lmao

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If my opponent is worrying about armbarring me and I'm worrying about not sweeping him off the mat I'm going to get my loving arm broken. That is why you have referees. Competition is intense and trying to protect your opponent will get YOU hurt.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nope. Never done combat sports. No intention to compete nor hurt anyone. You all sound hysterical.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nope. Never done combat sports. No intention to compete nor hurt anyone. You all sound hysterical.

Opal posted:

I thought you sociopaths were joking but apparently not lmao

Kekekela posted:

I'm going full on Palheres in some high school gymnasiums for that NAGA gold.

please train more

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherdog posted:

You are pretty bad at arguing.

Nothing to argue here. No intention to win any argument. My POV is as stated. Deal or chill.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yeah, actually you have done combat sports because you've started doing BJJ. BJJ is a combat sport. You are literally being taught extremely precise ways to break people's arms and choke them unconscious. Maybe you need to rethink your involvement in this particular combat sport if you feel morally against the basic premise of the sport.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Are you going to refrain from heel hooks and toe holds just because they're more likely to injure your opponent?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
lmao

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Like do you understand that in a competition people aren't going to go like they do in the gym. My first ever competition I got armbarred and tapped instantly and my elbow was sore for days. This sport is violence.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

i think the idea of hug based grappling attracted the wrong type of crowd

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nothing to argue here. No intention to win any argument. My POV is as stated. Deal or chill.

"I wasn't intending to argue. I was intending to call everyone in the thread who expressed a certain POV thugs, and then refuse to listen to any reasons my position may be unreasonable. Deal or chill."

Consider in the future, if you have

ICHIBAHN posted:

Never done combat sports. No intention to compete nor hurt anyone.

that no one needs to hear your opinions about the appropriate way to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Knee on belly: a morally unjustifiable position