Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

Shaggar posted:

you cant prove an instance of discrimination with generic statistics.

true. its me im the one giving all women lower wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suspicious donkey! posted:

true. its me im the one giving all women lower wages

stop!!!!!!!!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

You know, the thing that perhaps most influenced me in terms of how do you look at the journey or a career. There was this guy, his name is Mike Naples, he was the president of Microsoft when I joined and he had this saying that all HR systems are long-term efficient, short-term inefficient. And I thought that this phrase captured it.

It's not really about asking for the raise but knowing and having faith that the system will actually give you the right raises as you go along. And that I think might be one of the additional superpowers that quite frankly women who don't ask for raises have. Because that's good karma, that'll come back. Because somebody's going to know that's the kind of person that I want to trust; that's the kind of person that I want to really give more responsibility to; and in the long term, efficiency things catch up.

And I wonder — and I'm not saying that's the only approach — I wonder if taking the long term helps solve for what might be perceived as this uncomfortable thing as am I getting paid right, am I getting rewarded right. Because the reality is your best work is not followed with your best rewards. Your best work then has impact, people recognize it and then you get the rewards. So I think you have to think that through I think.

what is this poo poo about women who don't ask for raises have superpowers supposed to mean? like i get that he really just wants women to stfu about equal pay but i dont get how that even works as an empty platitude

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

what is this poo poo about women who don't ask for raises have superpowers supposed to mean? like i get that he really just wants women to stfu about equal pay but i dont get how that even works as an empty platitude
fy15q1 earnings release is october 23rd, ask then

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

do you remember the hit book the secret by rhonda r.r. byrne‽

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

not having self-awareness must own

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mod sassinator posted:

a sentient master AI should make all hiring decisions for every company in the world

yeah the Sexist Computron 2000 will surely sort out these problems

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

not having self-awareness must own
i wouldnt know

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah the Sexist Computron 2000 will surely sort out these problems

Have you any idea how it feels to be a fembot living in a manbot's manputer's world?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

all salaries, pay scales, etc are to be posted in a location visible to all employees, same as the current legal rights documents. peg the statue of limitations for discrimination claims to the date of discovery. require annual statistical audits of the salaries within a company as part of the normal financials.

yeah that would help discovery, but then it still becomes discrimination vs quality of work. if its a single instance then you're never going to win, but if its widespread in a company it would probably be pretty easy.

also it would likely cause a short term reduction in the number of women hired, but it would be better over the long term as hiring women becomes unavoidable and they expect to come in at existing salary levels

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pretty sure it means "i'll say loving anything to get those selfish money-grubbing bitches to stop hassling me about how they're not getting raises no matter how well they're performing, why can't they just have faith that, like god, I will eventually forgive them for the sin of not being men and grant them a pittance as a reward for not bothering me?"

he's trying to couch it as a motivational speech but it's not working, at all. holy poo poo it's bad, there is just no way to defend that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im pro mandatory paternity leave. if both mom and dad have to take a break when they have a kid, theres one less reason to discriminate against young women.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

im pro mandatory paternity leave. if both mom and dad have to take a break when they have a kid, theres one less reason to discriminate against young women.

getting back to what i was saying earlier, we have that here but not at the same rate. there's a few different ways to do it, there's maternity leave, paternity leave, and parental leave (an amount divvied up by the parents however they want). in my case my wife's getting 52 weeks at like 75 or 70% of her original earnings (starts at 75 and drops to 70 i think after 2 months or something) and i get 5 weeks at 70%, i can take them in weekly chunks anytime in the first year as long as i work it out with my employer (they have to give me that time somehow but have a say in when/how it happens, like a friend of mine had a very bureaucratic job and had to take it all in one go). there are other plans where you're off for less time but they give you a higher percentage and it works out to roughly the same amount.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah that would help discovery, but then it still becomes discrimination vs quality of work. if its a single instance then you're never going to win, but if its widespread in a company it would probably be pretty easy.

also it would likely cause a short term reduction in the number of women hired, but it would be better over the long term as hiring women becomes unavoidable and they expect to come in at existing salary levels

it wouldn't be a perfect solution, but i'm an optimist in that i believe policy changes can influence and guide personal behavior over time

pram
Jun 10, 2001

it generates good karma ffs its clear as day

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
okay someone pls tell me why its impossible to talk about computers without talking about women nowadays

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's not?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's impossible to talk about computer companies without talking about women, though

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so maybe slice that onion a little finer, y'know?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
dem broads keep flappin their gums

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

univbee posted:

getting back to what i was saying earlier, we have that here but not at the same rate. there's a few different ways to do it, there's maternity leave, paternity leave, and parental leave (an amount divvied up by the parents however they want). in my case my wife's getting 52 weeks at like 75 or 70% of her original earnings (starts at 75 and drops to 70 i think after 2 months or something) and i get 5 weeks at 70%, i can take them in weekly chunks anytime in the first year as long as i work it out with my employer (they have to give me that time somehow but have a say in when/how it happens, like a friend of mine had a very bureaucratic job and had to take it all in one go). there are other plans where you're off for less time but they give you a higher percentage and it works out to roughly the same amount.

here in denmark its a bit of a mess. 4 last weeks of pregnancy the woman can take leave, then she gets 14 weeks maternity leave after the birth, wherein the man gets 2 weeks paternity leave. on top of those, there are 32 weeks of leave that the couple can split between them. theyre actually entitled to 32 weeks each, but only 32 total are paid (so they can split 16/16 paid or maybe both do 32 weeks but only one of them gets paid). if your contract doesnt specify full pay, youre guaranteed a rate thats based on your hourly salary, maxing out at around 700 usd per week

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Snapchat A Titty posted:

here in denmark its a bit of a mess. 4 last weeks of pregnancy the woman can take leave, then she gets 14 weeks maternity leave after the birth, wherein the man gets 2 weeks paternity leave. on top of those, there are 32 weeks of leave that the couple can split between them. theyre actually entitled to 32 weeks each, but only 32 total are paid (so they can split 16/16 paid or maybe both do 32 weeks but only one of them gets paid). if your contract doesnt specify full pay, youre guaranteed a rate thats based on your hourly salary, maxing out at around 700 usd per week

microsoft

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I like how Nadella said something that no competent CEO would ever say in public at a heavily publicized event specifically talking about income inequality for women working in tech.

The only way he could have hosed up more is if he stood up, unzipped his fly, and exposed his dick to everyone in the audience while saying "I GOT YOUR KARMA RIGHT HERE, LADIES."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

G-III posted:

I like how Nadella stood up, unzipped his fly, and exposed his dick to everyone in the audience.

same, op

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

G-III posted:

I like how Nadella said something that no competent CEO would ever say in public at a heavily publicized event specifically talking about income inequality for women working in tech.

The only way he could have hosed up more is if he stood up, unzipped his fly, and exposed his dick to everyone in the audience.

"you have to give him a break, he comes from a different culture"

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

nadella is an incompetant shitheel, if he wasn't he would have been fired long ago for potentially threatening ballmer's throne

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i think he was literally talking about HR systems and having pay scales for every position and how u will move to the top of it given enough time

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

raruler posted:

"you have to give him a break, he comes from a different culture"

Yes a culture that is now famous for world wide news coverage about its frequent massive gang rapes of women.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

cremnob posted:

i think he was literally talking about HR systems and having pay scales for every position and how u will move to the top of it given enough time

yes he was in response to a question about income inequality and yes it was really stupid

what's your point

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

yes he was in response to a question about income inequality and yes it was really stupid

what's your point

it was in response to how to ask for a raise and women being uncomfortable asking for them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

G-III posted:

I like how Nadella

i like how that, as well OP.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cremnob posted:

it was in response to how to ask for a raise and women being uncomfortable asking for them

oh then it perfectly acceptable to say that women should not ask for raises

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

he said that as a response to the interviewer saying she was uncomfortable asking for raises and he basically tried to give a nerdy solution to nnot having to be uncomfortable

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

go to 1h33m

http://gracehopper.org/2014-grace-hopper-celebration-thursday-livestream/

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

cremnob posted:

go to 1h33m

no

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

yeah, seriously

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its microsoft, i'm sure asking for a raise is an automatic 4

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Snapchat A Titty posted:

feel uncomfortable asking for a raise? just dont ask for one! problem solved!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

He should have said to go get a new job because that's literally the only way anyone gets a raise in tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
maybe if those women spent less time asking for raises and more time working hard they'd get that raise after all

• Locked thread