Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I think I'd actually take the old 'H'itler channel over the current format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
From Facebook, shared by the an-cap I keep around for the stupid poo poo he posts:

:stare:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EXAKT Science posted:

From Facebook, shared by the an-cap I keep around for the stupid poo poo he posts:

:stare:

I'd be soooo tempted to respond to this post with links to unedited ISIS videos with the start time set right to the messy parts.

Or maybe one of the videos that show a woman with a clearly visible blown-open head but her arms blurred out.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'd be soooo tempted to respond to this post with links to unedited ISIS videos with the start time set right to the messy parts.

Or maybe one of the videos that show a woman with a clearly visible blown-open head but her arms blurred out.
The only issue I'd have with that is that doing it would require watching parts of an ISIS execution video. I want to be able to sleep at night.:(

Also, one small part of that macro is correct: ISIS did intend the videos to piss off the US (and a lot of the world) and goad people into starting a war attacking ISIS. The thing is though, ISIS really are a bunch of violent, brutal fuckers who slice innocent people's heads off and film it, and they freely (hell, proudly) admit it. There's no conspiracy, it's how they try to get potential new recruits the worst dregs of humanity to join up with them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Except then they will tell you that the entire video is fake can you not see the Hollywood director on the side and the entire effects team and fake blood and

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Jesus Christ, a whole group of people at work are birthers. Went outside for break and stumbled on this;

:jiggled:"They outta just throw his rear end out." "Impeach the rear end in a top hat" "Fuckin' Obama is an ISIS agent" "He'll get the ISIS to invade the US, they'll likely start shooting up major cities":jiggled:

Wait a minute, guys, what?

"Obama wasn't born in America, he forged his BC. He was born in some other drat country in the middle east somewhere. There's info all over" "Yeah, people debunked his BC four times over already"

:suicide:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, the Israeli Secret Intelligence Service has been playing a long con with America. I'm loving the audacity of it! Combine Hitler and Stalin's DNA and then dye the skin to produce an electable candidate in the new PC-police multiculturalist empire. It's all part of the depopulation program the Illuminati have been running since day 1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus Christ, a whole group of people at work are birthers. Went outside for break and stumbled on this;

:jiggled:"They outta just throw his rear end out." "Impeach the rear end in a top hat" "Fuckin' Obama is an ISIS agent" "He'll get the ISIS to invade the US, they'll likely start shooting up major cities":jiggled:

.....Like how though?

It's not to say that ISIS isn't a threat, but it's not like some organized nation in the way, say Russia or China would be.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SocketWrench posted:

"Obama wasn't born in America, he forged his BC. He was born in some other drat country in the middle east somewhere. There's info all over" "Yeah, people debunked his BC four times over already"

:suicide:

I don't know why but the absurdity of this always gets me. I'm imagining the CIA and FBI just standing there like "yeah man definitely fake but what are ya gonna do yknow?"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cracked linked a new article "5 Conspiracy Theories That Are So Dumb They're Brilliant." The comments on Facebook are fairly tame, but with a large number of people claiming Cracked is actually a bunch of cultural marxists and full liberal (but that's nothing new). Also people unironically agreeing that Obama is probably allowing ebola into the US because "it's POSSIBLE. Makes you think..." which seems to be the goto response these days.

Speaking of which, yesterday someone on my feed mentioned seeing a weird atmospheric phenomenon (moon dog) and didn't know what it was, and when a plane flew past it left a vapor that distorted the image. Someone chimed in saying it was chemtrails, then after they were called out on it, linked infowars articles in defense, then at the end decided that they were just kidding and that the people arguing against her were just unfunny nerds who don't understand sarcasm. Then she deleted all of her posts.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 10, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Interesting conspiracy indeed.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Oh Cracked, how far thou art fallen.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I like to think that my friend posted this ironically, but I should know better.

http://www.politicalears.com/blog/now-we-know-why-homeland-security-bought-millions-of-coffins-and-billions-of-bullets

I KNEW IT!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Everyone wishes they were the main character in a government thriller without having to do the work necessary.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This is so old, didn't this get pushed right after Obama came into office?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

This is so old, didn't this get pushed right after Obama came into office?

That's left over from the Bush days, I'm pretty sure. Only the names shift for a lot of these theories.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FuzzySkinner posted:

.....Like how though?

It's not to say that ISIS isn't a threat, but it's not like some organized nation in the way, say Russia or China would be.

I dunno, is any of it supposed to really make sense? Attacking the US is near suicide especially if you're expecting to form some toe hold here. First decapitation and the whole country will go nuts.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't know why but the absurdity of this always gets me. I'm imagining the CIA and FBI just standing there like "yeah man definitely fake but what are ya gonna do yknow?"

Heh, the explanation was "You see that pyramid on our money? Those are the guys running things. The government is just a facade"

I simply couldn't hang around for the rest and went back inside to eat my lunch at my press

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

I dunno, is any of it supposed to really make sense? Attacking the US is near suicide especially if you're expecting to form some toe hold here. First decapitation and the whole country will go nuts.

Heh, the explanation was "You see that pyramid on our money? Those are the guys running things. The government is just a facade"

I simply couldn't hang around for the rest and went back inside to eat my lunch at my press

The assumption is that they would be able to somehow launch some sort of invasion over mexico, correct? It's not like I can see it being very well organized, and it's not like they'd be able to keep quiet about it, correct?

The US has invested BILLIONS in "Homeland Security", and have a ridiculous amount of money invested in the military.

Also what are we going against? If this is the Soviet Union+Cuba scenario that Red Dawn pulled out of their rear end? Maybe, but ISIS really isn't that well organized and doesn't have near the armory to accomplish something like that. Some dipshit in a '79 Toyota Pick up truck ain't lasting long against Drones, Smart Bombs, Tanks and Fighter Jets.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Forgall posted:

So is Counterpunch a respectable publication or a crank site?

CounterPunch is vile.

Don't be seduced by the Ralph Nader, Chomsky, or Finkelstein articles- that anything vaguely resembling leftist discourse winds up on CounterPunch is incidental.

Let’s look at some other contributors:

Daniel McGowan, fan of rhetorical questions like “what does holocaust denial really mean?"

There is the beloved Jazz musician Gilad Atzmon

Russian Orthodox Jew Israel Shamir

Eric Walberg
()

Paleo-conservative Paul Craig Roberts

There are many other names we could explore like Weir, Rizzo, and of course the editor St. Clair, and the deceased Cockburn.

Whatever it once was, CounterPunch today is anathema to leftism. Just a few days ago it published a work of Neo-confederate revisionism that would make Pat Buchanan proud.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SocketWrench posted:

If this means he'd behead Scalia I might be ok with it.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I love how a lot of these conspiracy articles begin with: "It's like something straight out of the movies..."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FuzzySkinner posted:

The assumption is that they would be able to somehow launch some sort of invasion over mexico, correct? It's not like I can see it being very well organized, and it's not like they'd be able to keep quiet about it, correct?

The US has invested BILLIONS in "Homeland Security", and have a ridiculous amount of money invested in the military.

Through Canada, because they're half French and half pussies....

quote:

Also what are we going against? If this is the Soviet Union+Cuba scenario that Red Dawn pulled out of their rear end? Maybe, but ISIS really isn't that well organized and doesn't have near the armory to accomplish something like that. Some dipshit in a '79 Toyota Pick up truck ain't lasting long against Drones, Smart Bombs, Tanks and Fighter Jets.

Like I said, this was all a mishmash of conspiracy bullshit. I didn't stick around to hear this global campaign against whatever. The last I heard of any of it was "Lots will die at first, but those of us that know how to hunt and camp will survive"...coming from a guy I hear whining when his phone doesn't have a good connection any other time. I really didn't want to get involved in some sort of debate at work because one, I was outnumbered, and two, nothing like pissing a bunch of people off you have to work with.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Eighties action movies had a habit of using central/south americans, russians, and middle-easterners interchangeably. Sometimes all three groups working together seamlessly.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 11, 2014

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Through Canada, because they're half French and half pussies....

What's the other half?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
The whole ISIS border scenario is just hilarious. The top estimate puts their total strength at 100,000. The entire Islamic State could be teleported into the heart of an American city and they'd still get slaughtered. Possibly before the military proper even got there.

Their priority being to conquer territory on the other side of the world, I doubt they can spare many soldiers for an attack on Texas or whatever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

The whole ISIS border scenario is just hilarious. The top estimate puts their total strength at 100,000. The entire Islamic State could be teleported into the heart of an American city and they'd still get slaughtered. Possibly before the military proper even got there.

Their priority being to conquer territory on the other side of the world, I doubt they can spare many soldiers for an attack on Texas or whatever.

This is true in a sense, but in another sense I think our country is weak and top-heavy now and our security forces are trained for nothing more than harassing innocent people. If ISIS tried a Mumbai-style attack on a US city they could probably hold out for months, kill thousands and bring the entire country to a standstill. Not that any tinfoil right-winger has a well-informed point about anything.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

crowoutofcontext posted:

I love how a lot of these conspiracy articles begin with: "It's like something straight out of the movies..."

The Power of Dreams and Nightmares

http://vimeo.com/76571554

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

This showed up on my Tumblr dashboard earlier:

"Who remembers the Berenstain Bears? Many people actually remember it as the Berenstein Bears. It’s part of the Mandela theory, or a term that someone is positive something happened although it didn’t. Many attribute these false memories as a glimpse into a parallel universe. (Source)"

Seems reasonable, lots of people misremember the same things all the time. But then when you go check out the rest of the site, you get things like this:
    My research began in 2005, after someone in Dragon*Con’s “green room” mentioned that others (besides me) remembered Nelson Mandela dying in prison. A lengthy conversation followed. For hours, a group of us — mostly authors — discussed our own memories of that event, as well as other events that don’t match the timestream we’re in now.

That’s not a conspiracy theory. It’s related to alternate history and parallel realities.

Exploring the quantum / “Sliders” concept further, I discovered an entire world of shifting realities that people try to reconcile daily.

Though some of these may be false memories and other issues of mental health, or simply erroneous news reports, the sheer volume and consistency of them raise deeper and more intriguing questions.
And this:
    This morning, I was enjoying 9 Things You Can Learn from Hamlet and made a comment referencing the debate about whether or not William Shakespeare wrote the plays attributed to him.

[...]

Each of these have staunch supporters who — when someone insists on a contrary view — make most flame wars look tame.

I’m not posting to debate the origins of Shakespeare’s plays. Instead, what if each theory’s enthusiasts are adamant because they each slid into this timestream from a reality in which that WAS the origin of Shakespeare’s plays?

[...]

My question is: What if these people have slid from other realities, don’t realize it, and are simply defending history that — to them — seems obvious and evident, because it’s what they experienced at the time? It’s what they recall from news reports and history books in the timestream they came from.

:allears: I love the internet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, that explains how I grew up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland until I was 15 and then woke up here with my dead dad alive and calling me a different name in some weird click language. And why my wife screamed and called the police last Sunday morning saying she didn't recognize me. Oh and I guess I remember it as Bearenstein Bears too. Solid theory.

I actually really like the idea that all parallel universes are basically the same except for very slight differences. It's pretty comforting to know that nothing too bad can ever happen.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

It's weird because so many of the things that the Mandela Effect types are into have extremely reasonable and actually interesting explanations. There's a comment thread on one of the posts where someone takes the time to explain how memory works and how that creates false memories based on conceptual connections, but the blogger just sort of blithely insists that no, no, her memory doesn't work that way :downs:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I distinctly remember that days of the week used to go Friday > Sunday > Saturday > Monday etc and then at some point in the early 90's it swapped to the way it is today. Nobody else seems to remember this though?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

One time, I "slid" into a parallel timeline where penicillin had never been discovered and thus a horrible disease ran rampant through all society.

Luckily, my companion Professor Gimli found some mouldy bread and we saved the world.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mercury Hat posted:

"Who remembers the Berenstain Bears? Many people actually remember it as the Berenstein Bears. It’s part of the Mandela theory, or a term that someone is positive something happened although it didn’t. Many attribute these false memories as a glimpse into a parallel universe. (Source)"

How bad do they crack when it comes to Mr. T Geisel aka T Lesieg aka Dr. Seuss?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
I'm pretty sure people remember it as Berenstein because "stein" is a common Germanic name suffix.

Also most of the detail in our memories are essentially made up.

It's me. I'm the guy stating the obvious instead of posting awesome comedy.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
...I've been spelling it "Berenstein" all along. You mean it's not? :aaaaa:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Man it would suck to have the Berenstain (wow it really is Berenstain) Bears as the center of your paranoid delusions. Like, that doesn't have any elan whatsoever, I'm afraid.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm pretty sure people remember it as Berenstein because "stein" is a common Germanic name suffix.

That was my thought. It's a classic example of how memory works. You read Bernstein, commit it to memory, and then never actually read the author again.

I have an example of this, while we're sharing stories. I was having a convo with my wife about how the UK singles charts used to be the top 40, rather than the top 30. She told me it had always been the top 30, which I was adamant was not true - they changed it at some point in the late 90s or early 00s because singles sales were abysmal and numbers 31+ were selling bugger all.

2 weeks later we listen to the chart again, it's the top 40, and my wife is adamant that it's always been the top 40, and [url= http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart]she's right.[/URL]

I know there must be some faulty memory going on, but it still creeps me out.

I think what must have happened is similar to the Bernstein effect. I didn't really watch TV or listen to radio while I was at uni in the 00s. I probably heard a top 30 genre chart, assumed they'd changed the format of the singles chart, and never discarded that belief because I wasn't paying attention. As for the convo with my wife, Christ knows!

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 12, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I've long wondered if I slipped into another dimension around 1998 or so where the only difference was that in this dimension people applaud at the end of movies. Now I know, and I have to get back.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah it's almost as if rather than reading words letter by letter we instead just sort of glide over them and, in the process, fill in a lot of blanks with questionable accuracy.

It's actually kind of sad and I'm worried that the woman who runs the site has some kind of disorder. If you read her posts, or the posts of her readers and fans, it's basically people being obsessive about how perfect their memories are and how they couldn't possibly be wrong about anything. I get that it's a bit scary and difficult to face the fact that we've all got a lot of false memories because memory is horribly inaccurate and undergoes constant revision, but the extent to which these people are in denial about that is disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

EvilGenius posted:

I have an example of this, while we're sharing stories. I was having a convo with my wife about how the UK singles charts used to be the top 40, rather than the top 30. She told me it had always been the top 30, which I was adamant was not true - they changed it at some point in the late 90s or early 00s because singles sales were abysmal and numbers 31+ were selling bugger all.

2 weeks later we listen to the chart again, it's the top 40, and my wife is adamant that it's always been the top 40, and [url= http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Singles_Chart]she's right.[/URL]

I know there must be some faulty memory going on, but it still creeps me out.
In Wag the Dog, some secret government agency pays Willie Nelson to record a subconsciously pro-war song in an old style and then distributes it to oldies stations around the country. DJ's say "Remember this one, folks?" Everybody thinks it sounds familiar and they all vote for the war or whatever, I don't remember the plot exactly.

• Locked thread