Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Forget Duke's draft, Dezani is just getting passed everything he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

Forget Duke's draft, Dezani is just getting passed everything he wants.

He basically had a deck after two packs.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Dezani has sold his soul to get the draft to go like this. No other explanation.

Sold it to several demons simultaneously, actually. loving hell, man.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 10, 2014

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah, this deck is completely insane. If he doesn't sweep with this thing I will be shocked.

\/ Icy Blast now too.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think Dezani is going to end up with Knuckleblade, Temur Charm, Temur Ascendancy, and multiple Bear's Companions in his final deck.

This IS limited, right?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

qbert posted:

I think Dezani is going to end up with Knuckleblade, Temur Charm, Temur Ascendancy, and multiple Bear's Companions in his final deck.

This IS limited, right?

And one or two Avalanche Tusker. And he just picked a 7th or 8th pick Icy Blast. :stare:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is he just the the only one at the table who wants to touch Blue or what?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
to the surprise of no one, wizard's twitch channel is broadcasted by morons who dont know how to use audio or video equipment

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

^^^ They're also streaming live on YouTube, which I've had no problems with so far.

Entropic posted:

Is he just the the only one at the table who wants to touch Blue or what?

I strongly suspect every other player at the table sat down with a heavy White/Black bias. Dezani just capitalized on playing open colors.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

A big flaming stink posted:

to the surprise of no one, wizard's twitch channel is broadcasted by morons who dont know how to use audio or video equipment

It seems to be something weird with Twitch, actually. The YouTube one is synced correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2v-uRBYuc

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I can't wait until he absolutely blows out someone else in blue with that Icy Blast. Shouldn't have passed that thing, man!

edit: and then he immediately plays into the obvious Weaponmaster :/

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Basically the only way Dezani's deck loses is to mana screw.

Which is exactly what's happening to him.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

qbert posted:

Self-inflicted mana screw; he kept a 1 lander.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

Basically the only way Dezani's deck loses is to mana screwkeeping a terrible hand.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

The block was a massive mistake. There was no reason to risk it w/ Manfield playing Jeskai and having the mana to flip the Weaponsmaster.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Myriad Truths posted:

Self-inflicted mana screw; he kept a 1 lander.

Oh really? That seems...questionable.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's not even one of those hands where you understand the desire to risk a one-lander. It's not like "oh man if I rip the land I have all this action." Dude rips two off the top and still has only two plays.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Random commercial for a MtG "strategy board game" there.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Magic the Gathering Strategy Board Game, for when you want to experience the Magic brand but play something that is bound to be way, way worse.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
I hate these stupid clan sleeves. Looks like they have a post it note stuck the back of a mono color one.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dezani is kind of playing like poo poo. also i'm not sure if he's getting unlucky but he doesnt seem to have enough early plays

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Ultra Pro makes such great products as... and...

Really their only good thing is the upcoming Savage Punch playmat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cernunnos posted:

Ultra Pro makes such great products as... and...

Really their only good thing is the upcoming Savage Punch playmat.

I don't know of another playmat manufacturer I would buy from.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dezani succeeds in grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dezani drafts the best deck I've ever seen and loses 0-2, that's your Player of the Year folks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

dezani doing his best to grab defeat from the jaws of victory

"I'll just make an unnecessary gamble that leaves me dead to a creature with haste... Oh, it's a Mantis Rider."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dezani doing his best to grab defeat from the jaws of victory

That was a crushing defeat if I have ever seen one.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Puntmaster of the Fails.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

"I'll just make an unnecessary gamble that leaves me dead to a creature with haste... Oh, it's a Mantis Rider."

Yeah if Dezani had played the Tusker instead of flipping, he would've only taken 9 damage even with that Mantis rip from his opponent.

I guess Magic is hard?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So game 1 he kept a 1-lander, how'd he punt game 2?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Guys Dezani was dead without the mantis rider- He had 10 life and Seth had a 3 power creature and a weaponmaster. He left himself dead to a very likely morph (His previous block that game even played around that morph being a weaponmaster) to keep a witness of the ages around.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

he was dead to an efreet flip without the mantis rider. and he had to choose between flipping his 4/4 or adding a 6/4.

is there a term for tanking for minutes then making the exact wrong play?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 10, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

So game 1 he kept a 1-lander, how'd he punt game 2?

He's at 11 life, opponent has no cards in hand, attacks with everything (including a facedown Witness of the Ages) into his opponent's board of a War Behemoth and two facedown morphs. He has an Avalanche Tusker in hand. A facedown morph blocks the Witness of the Ages, so Dezani pays 5 to flip the Witness. That leaves him without enough mana to cast Avalanche Tusker, so his opponent rips Mantis Rider, casts it, flips Efreet Weaponmaster, and kills him because Dezani had no blockers.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

sarmhan posted:

Guys Dezani was dead without the mantis rider- He had 10 life and Seth had a 3 power creature and a weaponmaster. He left himself dead to a very likely morph (His previous block that game even played around that morph being a weaponmaster) to keep a witness of the ages around.

I think the difference was he already killed another Weaponmaster Game 2, so he assumed it was unlikely his opponent would have a 2nd one in his deck.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

I think the difference was he already killed another Weaponmaster Game 2, so he assumed it was unlikely his opponent would have a 2nd one in his deck.

if he assumed that then he is pretty bad at khans limited. Jeskai decks loving love that 4/3

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

qbert posted:

But he already had played around that exact morph being a weapon master when he blocked morph #2 and leaping master- you have to at least respect the possibility. That play also leaves you dead to anything hasty.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

qbert posted:

It's a common that literally nobody else would pick up unless it gets hated out, though.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

if he assumed that then he is pretty bad at khans limited. Jeskai decks loving love that 4/3

He probably is bad at Khans limited. This is probably the first major event he's played it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

It's a 3-colour common. It's not like Dezani needed to save the Witness, since casting Avalanche Tusker was the correct play against every card in the format except End Hostilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a common that literally nobody else would pick up unless it gets hated out, though.
Yea weaponmasters go really late in my experience along with ponyback brigades. Jeskai tends not to be heavily drafted and no one really wants to splash for it.

• Locked thread