Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Also, I think for Ganondorf there might be an Intensity barrier (either 4.0 or 5.0).

It's 5.0, I believe. That's the Intensity I played on and Ganondorf challenged me afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Master Core

You can dodge the attack where the humanoid headbutts the stage and puts delayed explosives around the level by just hanging off the edge of the level.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Cool, updated that post with the info.

Gong
Jan 7, 2007

Dance!
Do I not understand something about how to keep items turned off? I have them set to all off yet every other game with a friend (online) they turn back on

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Loser picks rules. Stop winning.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I think for Ganondorf the main idea is to let the enemy come to YOU. Slowly approach them and force them to come at you instead of you coming at them. You're super strong and adamant, unremovable rear end in a top hat that tilts into people and loving murders them on the approach. I remember smashing the poo poo out of a ZSS that kept trying to get close for a finisher and I ended up upsmashing her at 80% and insta-killing her.

Palutena isn't garbage, I think people just play her wrong. Her abilities easily launch enemies away and she has great zoning potential with her tilts. Her side tilt lasts like three seconds in a persistent AoE, it's really good at knocking approaching opponents away. All her skills excel at avoiding enemy contact. Teleport to keep distance/avoid big attacks, reflect to wreck projectile spammers, auto target is a very good spammable projectile for wracking up damage on short range characters, counter is good against big attack slow characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, Ike, etc. Her upsmash and uair have great range and priority, respectively, and at high percentages her down and forward smashes absolutely wreck. Even if you miss with Fsmash or downsmash the tips shove enemies away, so you can also avoid counter attacks if you didn't quite land your smashes. I really think she's an absolutely underrated character.

Also, Kirby. Everyone underestimates the little bastard. He probably has one of the best aerial games ever, he is super super good at gimping people that are attempting to recover and has many tools to recover himself. He can easily approach from the air to wreck most grounded characters that would otherwise outrange him, and his ground game is absolutely brutal to short ranged characters. He struggles greatly against zoning/projectile characters like Samus though because he just doesn't have any range or tools to deal with them beyond always staying close and never relenting his position.

His down air has probably the highest priority in the game, very few up specials can break through it, and you can always finish them with a head stomp. God I love the head stomp finish.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 10, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
woops, doublepost

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Listen to that guy Kirby owns.

Not to mention that Kriby's five jumps means that he has a real easy time with knocking down people once they get off the stage.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, Shulk!Kirby gets all of the perks from Shulk's Monado Arts neutral special, too.

Five jumps + Monado Jump = insane recovery.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Dr Pepper posted:

Listen to that guy Kirby owns.

Not to mention that Kriby's five jumps means that he has a real easy time with knocking down people once they get off the stage.

Seriously, that's five opportunities to use that sick rear end down air and totally destroy an opponents hopes and dreams of recovering. Offstage as much as possible as Kirby and you won't be disappointed.

Hell, Kirby's five jumps make his recovery unpredictable too, he's really hard to punish after being launched.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who would you recommend for 200 kills on endless and 110 on ten minute melee?

I tried Wii fit trainer because of most of her tilts knocking guys out in one hit and being multidirectional, but she just wasn't fast enough.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

greatn posted:

I tried Wii fit trainer because of most of her tilts knocking guys out in one hit and being multidirectional, but she just wasn't fast enough.

DK crushes those, he one-shots everybody and can kill groups with his spammable down special.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

greatn posted:

Zero Suit Samus -- stand in the center of the small and high platform in the middle of the battlefield stage and just do Up-Tilts forever. Effortlessly get 350+ kills.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

greatn posted:

Jump on the right platform, and spam Utilt on Zelda. It one hit kos everything and comes out insanely quickly in Smash 4, and the miis mostly approach from the left or above, which are where her biggest hitboxes are on her Utilt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

Little Mac. His dash attack one shots everybody so you can literally just run back and forth and press A to send dudes flying for days.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

How Rude posted:

Palutena isn't garbage, I think people just play her wrong. Her abilities easily launch enemies away and she has great zoning potential with her tilts. Her side tilt lasts like three seconds in a persistent AoE, it's really good at knocking approaching opponents away. All her skills excel at avoiding enemy contact. Teleport to keep distance/avoid big attacks, reflect to wreck projectile spammers, auto target is a very good spammable projectile for wracking up damage on short range characters, counter is good against big attack slow characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, Ike, etc. Her upsmash and uair have great range and priority, respectively, and at high percentages her down and forward smashes absolutely wreck. Even if you miss with Fsmash or downsmash the tips shove enemies away, so you can also avoid counter attacks if you didn't quite land your smashes. I really think she's an absolutely underrated character.

Palutena kind of has that thing where her potential hasn't been fully explored, but right now, there are certainly better zoners out there. If custom moves get banned, Palutena might be low tier because her default moveset is not really anything special.

Then again, just about every playable character in this game is close to solid, and that includes Ganondorf.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's little chance that custom moves are going to get banned in tournaments.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

greatn posted:

I used Jigglypuff for both of these. Fair is almost always a kill unless you're doing it from the far side; then it's up to the AI if they feel like recovering or not. Getting 200 kills was a bit of a trial, though, as the Character spawns often coincided with item appearances and that made it annoying/difficult -- especially when they grab the Smart Bomb. It does help that if you need to sorta regroup so you're not surrounded you can just fly off the side, wait a bit, grab the ledge, then wake-up attack into them for free kills. Once you get higher up, though, sometimes they'll give you room so they're out of range.

Ten-minute Melee I used a lot of pound. Fair can take a while to kill if you're not hitting them from the near side of the stage but Pound sends them flying upwards and kills pretty quickly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's probably a good idea to go for the items.

The Pow Block clears the screen pretty easily, and the Ray gun gives you a nice bit of distance kills.

Even the Smart Bomb is best grabbed to at the very least keep it away from the Miis

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes, I know (and in fact, I want custom moves to be a part of tournaments). I'm just saying "if".

Other than that, Palutena's kind of tall and on the light side of midweights, and I have to say that I find her standard moves to be a little on the slow side and not that strong.

But as I said, she does have the fact that we don't know her true potential going for her, and that just about everyone are rather solid in this game. Even if she hypothetically ends up as one of the worst characters, she'll be fine.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Will there be a quick way for people to load up their customized characters or will each player have to spend time creating a character before the match?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

hot sauce posted:

Will there be a quick way for people to load up their customized characters or will each player have to spend time creating a character before the match?

Not to mention you'd have to unlock all the moves and equipment on all the consoles.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

hot sauce posted:

Amiibos required for all smash tourneys

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Nahxela posted:

Everybody knows GanondorfDedede is king of the minigame stadium.
:smug: I never played as Dedede before, but everytime I use him in the minigames I just loving obliterate everything.

The real trick is the Gordos, they know all the ways on how to kill a sandbag.

quote:

"This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

Lastly, Sakurai ends his response with the following:

"Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."
I love that he takes no poo poo from people and basically says "hey rear end in a top hat, this game is pretty awesome right? Stop feeling like you're so privileged and enjoy what you got, you have so many things to play with."
I mean, not that I like EVERY character I mean I'm really drat confused about Lucinarth and Dark Pit being there when I don't see a lot of difference...maybe yet, I'd have to play more as them eventually, but I kinda had fun as Robin and I'm really glad Dr. Mario is back cuz I kind of rock poo poo as him!
This reminds me of how the creators of Pokémon read out fan mail in their office, specifically anything "suggesting" game changes or how the games could be better, and then openly mock the gently caress out of them.

God Nintendo has just really been knocking poo poo out of the park this year, if not on their games then at the very least on DLC partnerships like Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 4 :allears:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 10, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

FinalGamer posted:

:smug: I never played as Dedede before, but everytime I use him in the minigames I just loving obliterate everything.

The real trick is the Gordos, they know all the ways on how to kill a sandbag.

I love that he takes no poo poo from people and basically says "hey rear end in a top hat, this game is pretty awesome right? Stop feeling like you're so privileged and enjoy what you got, you have so many things to play with."
This reminds me of how the creators of Pokémon read out fan mail in their office, specifically anything "suggesting" game changes or how the games could be better, and then openly mock the gently caress out of them.

God Nintendo has just really been knocking poo poo out of the park this year, if not on their games then at the very least on DLC partnerships like Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 4 :allears:

God I love Sakurai, gently caress all the whiny babies. Game's polished as gently caress and I love it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Also, if you guys are trying Classic with customized fighters, any Fighting Team match will be hell: I was using a customized Luigi on Intensity 9.0 Classic and the Fighting Mii Team must have gotten some of my high-defense equipment on because they just wouldn't die. They kept coming back and ganged up on me like the sandbag I was and even if I killed one, another would soon come to take his/her place. I'd say they were the most difficult battle overall of Custom 9.0 Classic: Even Master Core was easy in comparison.

I actually had Cruel Smash flashbacks when I tried it out the first time, though they weren't as powerful as that.

(And the battles up until Master Core in general were harder with custom characters on than off.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Not to mention you'd have to unlock all the moves and equipment on all the consoles.

That's probably the biggest issue, since Nintendo doesn't have an easy save-all file like you can with SF4 or something.

That being said, there was a 3DS tournament that did use custom moves so the issue is as everyone says, it's a time thing.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cruel Smash can gently caress right off. Even my best game with Ike only nets me three kills. I'm sure I'll make it to four eventually, but holy cow I never want to play it ever again after that.

Ike, incidentally, owns.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

Cruel Smash can gently caress right off. Even my best game with Ike only nets me three kills. I'm sure I'll make it to four eventually, but holy cow I never want to play it ever again after that.

Ike, incidentally, owns.

I used the Kirby trick of jumping off, sucking them up and spitting them out under the stage and then floating and up + b-ing my way back up. Cruel as they are they seem too dumb to recover. Got five kills my second try.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

hot sauce posted:

If your custom character is premade on the 3DS it takes literally one extra button press to select it. If it's not then it's still really fast.

For the WiiU version it's been established that you cantransfer over your custom characters from the 3DS version. S

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

hot sauce posted:

Will there be a quick way for people to load up their customized characters
Like, y'know

Having their own 3DSes

With their own game carts or SD carts where the characters already exist before the tournament.

Or are people expecing Smash Bros 3DS tournaments to consist of a bunch of 3DSes that everyone participating must use and you can't bring your own game cart or SD card?

And the game's just been out for a short time, give it another month and everyone will have all the custom moves unlocked.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
shadow strike is the most amazing teleport ever. I especially like doing really tiny ones when someone is coming in for a dash attack. They just swing at air and take a webbed foot to the back of the head.

Also fun to use when someone with a counter is coming down from midair. They wait for you to get close to spring their counter but oh poo poo should've been watching my shadow bitch!

Greninja is cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Like, I'm not gonna lie, if they released Protoman as a clone of Mega Man as DLC, I would buy it.

You could also Frankenstein together a Tails by using Sonic as a base, Duck Hunt's Up+B and maybe like Mega Man's Hyper Bomb for his neutral B. A lot of characters seem to have moves that are similar to others, especially the Miis.

Like, I'm not saying they're going to do it, but if Nintendo was like "okay, $5 each for Protoman, Tails, Waluigi, Roy, Lucas, etc." I would be like "Okay I'm down for that. More dudes for me."

KennyMan666 posted:

Like, y'know

Having their own 3DSes

With their own game carts or SD carts where the characters already exist before the tournament.

Or are people expecing Smash Bros 3DS tournaments to consist of a bunch of 3DSes that everyone participating must use and you can't bring your own game cart or SD card?

And the game's just been out for a short time, give it another month and everyone will have all the custom moves unlocked.

Yeah people can bring their own 3DS and unlock 'em themselves but it would be kind of problematic once people switch to Wii U.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 10, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KennyMan666 posted:

Like, y'know

Having their own 3DSes

I'm pretty sure Tournaments sure as poo poo won't be run on 3DSes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm pretty sure Tournaments sure as poo poo won't be run on 3DSes.
Tournaments in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS won't be run on 3DSes?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You just have people set up their poo poo beforehand, it isn't that hard. I think its likely alternate moves will be allowed but not custom equipment.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

greatn posted:

Choose Ike, play like Brawl just came out. Get up on the left or right platform, spam Aether non-stop. Nothing else. Stop for a moment if you see a bomb float by overhead.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah people can bring their own 3DS and unlock 'em themselves but it would be kind of problematic once people switch to Wii U.

You'll probably be able to link to a local WiiU and move your fighter over so I'm not seeing the issue here.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

Tournaments in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS won't be run on 3DSes?

Why would someone run a tournament on the 3DS when it's easier, better looking, and generally better to run them on the Wii U version? Unless the Wii U exclusive stages are all terrible or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If they allow customs, would the players have to show what equipment and moves they're using? Seems like part of a fighting game is knowing the abilities of the other player's character.

• Locked thread