Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, I've been disappointed that Europe is willing to just forget about 300 folks. You kill 3 americans in the desert and you get a multinational bombing campaign, kill 300 euros and you get what amounts to no response. If Europe wants to create a common 'european' identity one of the first things you have to do is defend it.

ISIS don't have nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
EU nations have nukes too.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Baloogan posted:

EU nations have nukes too.

But we're (probably) not crazy enough to actually use them. I don't have the same level of certainty in the matter when it comes to the Russians, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

In the USA, "Cletus" is sort of a stereotypical dumbass-yokel name, plus "ovski" to make it Russian.
This is some murica.txt given that -owski gets you a Polish surname, not Russian.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Poroshenko signed the lustration law yesterday. https://twitter.com/poroshenko/status/520189604260249600

Donetsk airport is still being shelled. People have seen smoke in the past hour.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

TeodorMorozov posted:

These Ukrainians just realised that their country no longer will get russian natural gas for free. Now only Europe or US will feed them all :)

As for vox populi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVVG34h89nQ

Allah akbar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkj_grIjsrg

I'll just place this here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Karmalis posted:

I'll just place this here.

Some people actually got a few days in jail for that....

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

OddObserver posted:

I haven't noticed any reports on the jail thing. Just investigations by the Belarusian KGB. Or did I miss something?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TeodorMorozov posted:

These Ukrainians just realised that their country no longer will get russian natural gas for free. Now only Europe or US will feed them all :)

As for vox populi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVVG34h89nQ

Allah akbar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkj_grIjsrg
Are you trolling? Ukraine never had free gas. Also, the videos you are replying to are from Belarus.

I enjoy the lack of actual populi in those demonstrations, as the procession moves through the city. Rarely anyone even appears on the sidewalk, let alone forming a support crowd. Just columns of quiet participants, silently shuffling in their designated formations, wearing their designated t-shirts. RT is trying so hard to make it look good, but private footage on YouTube tell a different story.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Actually - 2+ weeks ;)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Karmalis posted:

I haven't noticed any reports on the jail thing. Just investigations by the Belarusian KGB. Or did I miss something?

http://interfax.com.ua/news/general/228007.html
Also:

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

Many thanks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just read a news article about milk production in Germany. Apparently our prices on milk and stuff made from milk were on a record-high earlier this year. Now discounters have pointed to the Russian embargo on milk and slashed prices far enough they're 40% lower then at the beginning of the year. Right now those lower prices are slowly given out to us, the consumers. Some chains like Aldi have already reduced the endprice for cheese and cream by 13%.

So I wanted to say thank you, Russia, for helping our poor buy cheap milk and cheese. We're appreciating your efforts to help. Hopefully the embargo goes on for a few months longer, so our discounters can make mad money with very slowly dropping prices. Everyone benefits! :v:

The article.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 10, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Libluini posted:

I just read a news article about milk production in Germany. Apparently our prices on milk and stuff made from milk were on a record-high earlier this year. Now discounters have pointed to the Russian embargo on milk and slashed prices far enough they're 40% lower then at the beginning of the year. Right now those lower prices are slowly given out to us, the consumers. Some chains like Aldi have already reduced the endprice for cheese and cream by 13%.

So I wanted to say thank you, Russia, for helping our poor buy cheap milk and cheese. We're appreciating your efforts to help. :v:

The article.

It probably isn't necessarily a good thing for German/European agriculture though, Eurozone (for a variety of reasons) may enter a recession at some point in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11152731/Eurozone-on-cusp-of-triple-dip-recession-as-German-exports-crumble.html

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

It probably isn't necessarily a good thing for German/European agriculture though, Eurozone (for a variety of reasons) may enter a recession at some point in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11152731/Eurozone-on-cusp-of-triple-dip-recession-as-German-exports-crumble.html

Yeah, between Iraq, Syria and now Ukraine, it seems the German consumer is just holding back for now. So Russia inadvertently helping us by holding our food prices low is just a little early repayment for all that fuckery over Ukraine.

And of course German governmental incompotence isn't helping matters.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Libluini posted:

Yeah, between Iraq, Syria and now Ukraine, it seems the German consumer is just holding back for now. So Russia inadvertently helping us by holding our food prices low is just a little early repayment for all that fuckery over Ukraine.

And of course German governmental incompotence isn't helping matters.

It may help customers but obviously is hurting producers, and most likely is impacting German exports, the engine of the German economy. Also, crises in Ira/Syria/Ukraine have pretty much zero do with consumption though (the article says it but offers no explanation of why this is so), German consumption is moribund from enforced austerity and the general malaise that is hitting the continent.

Basically, Germans are producing a bunch of stuff that no one wants so they have to cut prices to move it. The rest of Europe doesn't have the savings left to buy German goods and Russia has put an embargo on them. Also, that article partly blames a higher minimum wage which if anything would probably modestly increase consumption.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 10, 2014

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What effect is this crisis having on oil prices? Are they related at all? The specifics of how the global oil markets work are beyond my knowledge. If anyone has a good summary I'd love to hear it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeodorMorozov posted:

Actually - 2+ weeks ;)

Kill you are self. ;)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gunktacular posted:

What effect is this crisis having on oil prices? Are they related at all? The specifics of how the global oil markets work are beyond my knowledge. If anyone has a good summary I'd love to hear it.

Probably not much, and I doubt they actually very much related beyond a decrease in demand in Ukraine. Ukraine is not a major producer of oil (or even much of a minor one), dramatic changes in oil prices most likely is due to slowdowns in China, and first world (especially Japan/Europe).

We may be heading toward another global recession.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2014/10/09/the-oil-price-slide-continues/

quote:

The slide in oil prices continued on Thursday with Brent crude prices dropping below $90 a barrel for the first time in two years and West Texas Intermediate prices entering bear market territory. The price drop comes amid general concerns over weakening demand globally and oversupply from the U.S. because of increasing shale oil production.

CIBC called it “a perfect storm” with demand being impacted by Europe’s near recession and lower expectations for oil consumption in China. At the same time, production in the U.S. has soared by over 3 million barrels per day in the last two years. “The U.S.’s reemergence as an oil superpower, thanks to shale, has coincided moreover with a rise in OPEC productions to two-year highs,” CIBC notes.

In addition, some market players are wondering about the traditional stabilizing role that Saudi Arabia has played in the oil markets, suggesting even that Saudi Arabia might let oil prices drop as a way to fight against the U.S. shale revolution. “We believe the most plausible interpretation of Saudi motivations is that they think they can win any price war given shale’s full cycle production costs of considerably more than Saudi’s ~$4/bbl,” Citigroup said in a recent research note. So far there has been no indication from OPEC that it will reduce production to increase prices.

For now, the drop in oil prices means a drop in energy company stocks. Shares of oil and commodities stocks were hit hard on Thursday. Chevron’s stock fell by 2.7% while shares of Anadarko Petroleum tumbled by 6.5%. Shares of smaller oil and gas companies closely tied to the shale revolution saw their shares hammered—QEP Resources’ stock fell by 7%. Shares of U.S. chemicals companies that have benefited from the spread between natural gas and oil-based feedstock have also experienced weakness as oil prices have fallen. LyondellBasell’s stock fell 3% on Thursday.

The geopolitical backdrop for this oil price weakness—fighting in Iraq and Libya, tensions in Russia and Ukraine—has not spooked markets or led yet to a fall in production in these producing countries. The big drop in the price of oil could, if sustained, fuel the U.S. economy. It might eventually help the stock market, but it certainly didn’t on Thursday.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 10, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gunktacular posted:

Oil prices are falling, despite the turmoil in the Middle East. This is making Russia's economy suffer. Thus the question would be about how the oil market is affecting the crisis, not the other way around.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Probably not much, and I doubt they actually very much related beyond a decrease in demand in Ukraine. Ukraine is not a major producer of oil (or even much of a minor one), dramatic changes in oil prices most likely is due to slowdowns in China, and first world (especially Japan/Europe).

We may be heading toward another global recession.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2014/10/09/the-oil-price-slide-continues/

I'm worried about this as well. The US has been doing better than most other nations, but I take the view that a rapidly falling US deficit is coincident with recession risk.

edit: of course, the recession risk is primarily political, since cheap energy could be put to productive use quite easily with the world's spare capacity, and the US is always in a unique position to finance such an expansion. To accomplish that would require a Congress that views this as a priority however.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 10, 2014

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

El Scotch posted:

Kill you are self. ;)

With which of my personalities you are trying to talk?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

amanasleep posted:

I'm worried about this as well. The US has been doing better than most other nations, but I take the view that a rapidly falling US deficit is coincident with recession risk.

edit: of course, the recession risk is primarily political, since cheap energy could be put to productive use quite easily with the world's spare capacity, and the US is always in a unique position to finance such an expansion. To accomplish that would require a Congress that views this as a priority however.

I don't expect any expectation of fiscal stimulus at this point considering recent history. The US has been doing moderately better most likely because if anything our austerity has been relatively mild compared to some Europe and we still have an expanding population compared to Japan. In addition, unlike Brazil, the US doesn't necessarily depend on exports to China.

Cheap energy may actually reduce some price inflation and/or spur consumer spending in the US which is okay but the US can't be the driver of the global economy like it was in the past.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

Russian pranker Vovan take interview from US general Kevin McNeely regarding US secret plans to support Ukraine Army.

http://lifenews.ru/news/142448

Good job Vovan :)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh is good pranking!!!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TeodorMorozov posted:

With which of my personalities you are trying to talk?

All of them. ;)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Karmalis posted:

I read in Belarusian opposition news about 100 people were arrested for that.

http://football.ua/euro2016/251480-v-borisove-zaderzhali-bolee-100-ukrainskikh-fanatov.html

quote:

More than 100 of our compatriots will be introduced to the pleasures of the Belarusian KGB. After qualifying match Euro 2016 Belarus - Ukraine were detained and taken to the local branch of the KGB.

To resolve the issue connected Ukrainian Embassy in Belarus.

Tomorrow Ukrainian fans awaiting trial. Probably, they will be fined and deported from the country, and the most active can award 15 days of arrest.

As we understand the situation, local law enforcement agencies were very saddened content of songs and chants Ukrainian sector during the match, but they decided to act already outside the stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezFrDJ91nyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7azM5B9Qo

And Ukrainians shouting "Long Live Belarus!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IkkxONz8Vk

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Those plans are secret? I thought we already supported Ukraine? Well, mostly with moral support...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Statoil et al are already laying off thousands and the big oil companies are cutting down on investments in stuff like shale, so don't expect any oil glut to last too long even with lovely demand.

e: And it's gonna be the most expensive oil production, with the most indebted companies, that goes first (i.e fracking/shale companies).

Russia might be hurting, but so is the rest of the world too, and with Germany entering recession I wonder how hot they'll be for more sanctions.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 10, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia sliding towards totalitarianism watch:
1) Roskomnadzor warned Novaya Gazeta about "extremism" over an editorial where the editor compared some of whole "special pure Russian culture" nonsense with similar rhetoric of Nazis.
http://www.novayagazeta.ru/news/1688061.html

2) They are trying to shut down Memorial:
http://www.rferl.mobi/a/russia-closing-of-memorial-rights-group-/26631357.html

vvvvvvv
Apparently russian TV also ran a smear peace on Memorial to prepare for "legal" action against them.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 10, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This Russian programme on MH17 recently arranged for a jet to fire a 30mm cannon into parked aircraft to prove MH17 was shot down by 30mm cannon fire, not a Buk (starts 7 minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDR32KEAns&t=422s

Here they helpfully point out the entry holes, big, round, and consistent in size

Then the damage from the broken up round exiting the aircaft

And they helpfully provide this comparison shot

Problem is, when you actually look at the damage on MH17 in detail, it's obvious using the above example that 30mm cannon fire wouldn't do what's shown below; entry points of an inconsistent shape and size (this shows two sides of the same panel which was positioned above the cockpit windows)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Russia has no need for facts, they have truth!

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

TeodorMorozov posted:

Actually - 2+ weeks ;)

I'm confused. Are you happy people went to jail for two weeks because they bad mouthed a political figure?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The level of constant and obvious bullshit that the Russian media and government is spewing and expecting everyone else to believe, is impressive. Russia apparently thinks that the world is entirely populated by people with the reasoning power of retarded amoebas (which seems to be partly true, unfortunately).

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Rah! posted:

The level of constant and obvious bullshit that the Russian media and government is spewing and expecting everyone else to believe, is impressive. Russia apparently thinks that the world is entirely populated by people with the reasoning power of retarded amoebas (which seems to be partly true, unfortunately).

They convinced a bunch of ethnic Russians that Nazi's were coming to kill them all. They know what they are doing sadly.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The ethnic Russians posting in this thread are more "lol you can't stop us" than expressing any real fear so I'm not sure that's true.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Best Friends posted:

The ethnic Russians posting in this thread are more "lol you can't stop us" than expressing any real fear so I'm not sure that's true.

Yeah that pretty much seems to be the case. Then "HEH HEH HOPE YA LIKE BEING COLD!" when a proposal to stop them arises.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

This Russian programme on MH17 recently arranged for a jet to fire a 30mm cannon into parked aircraft to prove MH17 was shot down by 30mm cannon fire, not a Buk (starts 7 minutes in)

The clip is actually from Vesti Nedeli (News of the week), Kiselev's program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiPYWmm-wjs It's the preview for an upcoming film called "MH-17: Interrupted flight" by Arkady Mamontov to be aired Oct 11 at 6:55pm, so set your DVRs. :) It even has a guy wielding a pointing stick in front of a whiteboard filled with every conceivable crash scenario. I guess a whiteboard is really convenient if you needs to change something fast later. :)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Best Friends posted:

Russians have mastered cognitive dissonance - they largely know their government is pretty much in "lie about everything" propaganda mode permanently, and that the media can't be trusted to be anything more than a government mouthpiece, but because those lies are so attractive they follow along to be part of the lie. Whether it's Russia-as-master-race or there-are-no-food-shortages, these are attractive lies and believing them is some small comfort in a world where their society is rotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pump the krokodil into your veins and close your eyes.

• Locked thread