Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm sad they haven't shown any of the times he flubbed and called it the "new world organization."

How did he even manage that? New World Order is a conspiracy thing, new world organisation is... I... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gaz-L posted:

How did he even manage that?

Silverdome.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The best thing about Monday Night War is the photo they use of Eric Bischoff whenever they talk about him being appointed Exec Producer of WCW.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Gaz-L posted:

How did he even manage that? New World Order is a conspiracy thing, new world organisation is... I... :psyduck:

One of the nitros prior to BATB Heenan asked if it was some sort of "New World Organization"coming WCW's way. Also, when watching the actual BATB Hogan does say New World Organization sometime after the initial flub and they left it in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The best thing about Monday Night War is the photo they use of Eric Bischoff whenever they talk about him being appointed Exec Producer of WCW.

They should use this footage instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKxXr1s2TDw

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
My sub has been lapsed for three whole days and no emails. I'm starting to think Vince doesn't care.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Four more days and you'll get a bouquet.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Gaz-L posted:

Yup, he said "New World Organization" at first then managed to correct himself and say "New World Order" later on and from that point on after BATB. It's funny because WWE used to show the entire segment when they first began doing WCW revisionism documentaries and the flub was always kept in but never mentioned.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Justin Godscock posted:

Yup, he said "New World Organization" at first then managed to correct himself and say "New World Order" later on and from that point on after BATB. It's funny because WWE used to show the entire segment when they first began doing WCW revisionism documentaries and the flub was always kept in but never mentioned.

Why remove it? It makes WCW look bad that their top star can't even remember the name of the group they joined.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

That's not it. It's the younger photo of him with his hand on his chin in a glamor shots pose. I'd try to screencap it but I'm in the midst of a cross country move and don't have reliable internet.

That's still a glorious photo of Bischoff-chan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That shot makes him somehow look really young and super old at the same time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

That's not it. It's the younger photo of him with his hand on his chin in a glamor shots pose. I'd try to screencap it but I'm in the midst of a cross country move and don't have reliable internet.

That's still a glorious photo of Bischoff-chan.

I know the one you're talking about, so I went to see if someone had already put it up. No luck, but this image is pretty great:

Eric Bischoff is... James Bond.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I know the one you're talking about, so I went to see if someone had already put it up. No luck, but this image is pretty great:

Eric Bischoff is... James Bond.

Mr. Bond, I believe you'll find it quite difficult to escape now that I've INJECTED you with a LETHAL DOSE... OF POISON!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
"The Monday Night Wars turned professional wrestling into sports entertainment"

I feel like a variation on this line comes up a lot and I'm convinced it is completely, utterly meaningless.

In his interviews I thought Austin was being sincere, he didn't feel immensely scripted and edited to hell like a lot of the other interviews. Made me like the episode more.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Such hope. Such a head of hair.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

The Landstander posted:

In his interviews I thought Austin was being sincere, he didn't feel immensely scripted and edited to hell like a lot of the other interviews. Made me like the episode more.

Then you should watch the Austin documentary, because that episode of MNW was just a shortened version of it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Have there been any announcements about adding more Raws? I'd like to watch past august 95 sometime this year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Landstander posted:

It's funny cause when you listen to Austin talk about his WWE appearances they always give him a script and he's like "haha, gently caress you". Wish more guys could get away with doing that.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Swagger Dagger posted:

Have there been any announcements about adding more Raws? I'd like to watch past august 95 sometime this year.

Same. They stopped adding them just as I started watching them and haven't added any since early August.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

sleepingbuddha posted:

Then you should watch the Austin documentary, because that episode of MNW was just a shortened version of it.

Good idea! I hadn't watched that one yet, I'll make a point to do so, thanks.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Really? What do you like about MNW? I tried getting into it but had to quit after 2 episodes.

I've been busy and didn't get a chance to answer this myself, but Another Person said it best:

Another Person posted:

It is a popcorn great man history story. I don't think it is an amazing series, like, it is certainly not a journalistic-ly correct series, but it is a fun enough romp through wrestling memories if you already know that everything is only half true. Plus, there is a lot of cool talking head footage in it that I have never seen before.

That said, the repetition of using the same interviews and narration is really getting old.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Niwrad posted:

WWE should have a show where they do semi-serious interviews for an hour. Something similar to Shatner's Raw Nerve. They'd have to find someone with wrestling knowledge who can be independent which might be tough. But it'd be cheap to produce and if you spliced in clips it'd be a great watch. Basically take the popularity of wrestling podcasts and do it better. They could do a mix of current and former performers.

Sam Roberts would do this for probably three dollars.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I wish they did segment by segment switches in the monday night shows, so you could see the ratings change every 15 minutes, and switch between Raw and Nitro at each segment without it being a pain in the rear end.

I've never seen Nitro and I'm enjoying it so far. It's the lead up to Hogan vs. Piper the one man he never beat.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Roman Reigns talking about Erick Rowan's "hungry butt" is pretty much the best thing ever. I hope they never stop making new countdown episodes.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I just realized this thread title doesn't have 9.99 in it. For shame.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

TL posted:

I just realized this thread title doesn't have 9.99 in it. For shame.

1 cent markup for the SA advertising :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good Halloween Havocs? I love the idea of a Halloween-themed PPV but '95 is let down by that clusterfuck of a main event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are there any good Halloween Havocs? I love the idea of a Halloween-themed PPV but '95 is let down by that clusterfuck of a main event.

97 and 98 are good shows with really awful Hogan matches.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

97 and 98 are good shows with really awful Hogan matches.

WCW: The Post

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Here's a question: are there any GOOD Hogan matches? I certainly can't think of any but surely he wasn't unremittingly awful for his entire career?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I liked his match with the rock at wrestlemania, i forget which one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Baby Babbeh posted:

Here's a question: are there any GOOD Hogan matches? I certainly can't think of any but surely he wasn't unremittingly awful for his entire career?

If you don't like watching the man lift and slam a giant so hard that it killed 90,000 people in the superdome, brother, I don't know what to tell you

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He tended to magically turn up the workrate in Japan, where he couldn't just coast by being Hulk Hogan. There's a really fun one vs Stan Hansen where he breaks out chain wrestling and poo poo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ayn rand hand job posted:

If you don't like watching the man lift and slam a giant so hard that it killed 90,000 people in the superdome, brother, I don't know what to tell you

Silverdome

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Baby Babbeh posted:

canada jezus posted:

I actually thought that Rock vs Hogan, Triple H vs Hogan and Undertaker vs Hogan from his 2003 run were all gold. They form a really great three-part redemption plotline.

Rock brings Hogan back from the dark side, Triple H faces a born-again hero Hogan as a worthy adversary in a face vs face match, Hogan gets one last Championship (and the Undisputed title gets another prestigous name attached), and then Undertaker ends the Cinderella story to get some great heat. That's good wrestling storytelling I tell ya what.

His match with Brock at that time was also great.

I think it largely depends on how you view the match. His match dropping the title to Undertaker at Survivor Series 91 was a great spectacle, but it wasn't exactly a workrate showcase and Hogan dickishly no-sold the first Tombstone and then hogged all the spotlight by overselling the second one instead of letting Taker shine. Similar complaints might be levied at The Ultimate Challenge because he made Warrior's title win all about himself and calling the actual wrestling in the match good would make Eddie roll in his grave, but it's one of the most fondly remembered matches in WWF history.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

His match against Ultimate Warrior is probably his best WWF match. This is also either Warrior's best or 2nd best match, depending on if you like the Warrior/Savage match more. Also Savage/Hogan from Wrestlemania 5 isn't that bad.

I can't recommend his match against Triple H because the 12 year old in me is still pissed off that old, orange bastard won the world title :mad:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

you don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot, marks

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Baby Babbeh posted:

Oh Definitely. In my view the guy was a decent (not great, but perfectly adequate) wrestler who was just got lazy/old.

A lot of the big time Hulkamania matches are worth watching even if they aren't great from a techical standpoint just because of the spectacle (Thinking particularly of Mania 3 vs Andre and Mania VI vs. Warrior. The Warrior match also is a good demonstration of how much better Hogan was than a guy who really couldn't work).

The 1990 Royal Rumble. The Hogan match at the first Survivor Series is pretty interesting.

Matches that occur to me that are just straight up good are Wrestlemania V, some of his matches with Flair (Halloween Havoc 1994 is one off the top of my head), and his work in Japan.

This isn't exhaustive by any means. There were a lot of bad Hogan matches, but he got to the top for a reason.

canada jezus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DeathChicken posted:

He tended to magically turn up the workrate in Japan, where he couldn't just coast by being Hulk Hogan. There's a really fun one vs Stan Hansen where he breaks out chain wrestling and poo poo.

This one? He's doing like hammerlocks and STFs and things other than posing and leg drops.