Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

karl fungus posted:

Oh, I see. Isn't that extremely rare, though?

When they say "intersex" they're probably meaning something along the lines of "genderqueer" which is simply not identifying as either gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The A often stands for Ally not asexual.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

dijon du jour posted:

When they say "intersex" they're probably meaning something along the lines of "genderqueer" which is simply not identifying as either gender.

So why doesn't the Q count for that?

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

<accidentally deleted stuff about the difference between queer/genderqueer>

Edit: oh god I've ruined everything

Occupy Sesame Street! has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Oct 11, 2014

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

protastic posted:

I'm a cishet white male so I don't get to make the rules.

I thought that was what we were supposed to do..?

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

karl fungus posted:

I thought that was what we were supposed to do..?

Only on government policy, finances, voting law, medical treatment, TV news media, religion, welfare restrictions, regressive taxation, hate crime law, hiring decisions, police brutality, organized protest, TV show casting demographics, advertising, marriage, language, and free travel.

They get to decide on what they call themselves.

Apologies for editing catastrophe, phones are weird.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
LGBTQIFHQWHGADS

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

I thought asexual was a preference not a gender (like LGB). Or is it both? I can't keep up with these kids.

Sounds like you can't keep it...straight. :smugdog:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

LGBTQIFHQWHGADS

I knew that guy, still feel sorry for him.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

RareAcumen posted:

My mom doesn't think there'll be a cure for cancer in her lifetime; not because we're far off from curing all types of cancer, but because a cure wouldn't be profitable enough to market. Since, like pest control, you don't fully eliminate the problem you just control it a little so you have to call them back in three months. :geno:
My mother died at the age of 55 from cancer. I would have been fine with her going every three month to the hospital. And i think it would have been much more profitable to treat her for thirty years instead of three.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I think you're misinterpreting this one. I think the intended message isn't "those silly females are being overly dramatic!" but that men don't talk about/address their issues and the consequences are real. Those two statistics are indicating that more women are seeking help and men aren't, and as result more women get better while men are driven to suicide. It's encouraging men to talk about their problems (it's a forum after all) instead of ignoring them.

It's a good thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I agree, we should talk about the destructive gender roles enforced on men by Western society that tell them that they have to be tough and shouldn't talk to others about their feelings or seek help for their emotions. I'm gonna hazard a guess that that's not what you want to talk about though.

MARSHAL LAW

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I really can't find just one to post because they're all terrible. 99% of the comments on the Brittany Maynard / right to die thing. Of course Obama was brought into it, and somehow the story of Noah/rivers or some poo poo.

...Also most of the news articles are terrible.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Women attempt suicide much more often than men do. They succeed much less often because there's a strong association between gender and suicide method. Women tend to favor methods like overdosing on pills that are more likely to fail; men tend to favor methods like jumping off tall buildings or shooting themselves in the head that are more likely to stick. (This is the case in America and probably other Western countries, don't know about elsewhere.)

What I'm saying is that MRA's have legitimately found one area in which men are objectively far better and more capable than women: killing themselves.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

1stGear posted:

I agree, we should talk about the destructive gender roles enforced on men by Western society that tell them that they have to be tough and shouldn't talk to others about their feelings or seek help for their emotions. I'm gonna hazard a guess that that's not what you want to talk about though.

MARSHAL LAW

No no no, it's Martian Law. Mars is wild and untamed, which is why they're going to declare it. Martian Knights will go around and beat people with bats to enforce it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's literally as loving simple as several things that have not happened yet and more than likely won't, thanks Obama etc.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Women attempt suicide much more often than men do. They succeed much less often because there's a strong association between gender and suicide method. Women tend to favor methods like overdosing on pills that are more likely to fail; men tend to favor methods like jumping off tall buildings or shooting themselves in the head that are more likely to stick. (This is the case in America and probably other Western countries, don't know about elsewhere.)

What I'm saying is that MRA's have legitimately found one area in which men are objectively far better and more capable than women: killing themselves.

I also don't think this was the point at all. Men are way more successful at suicide and we should stop them from being so. I mean, suicide is kind of a lovely thing.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Oct 11, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

1stGear posted:

MARSHAL LAW
Yeah but why? Surely you could save money on FEMA camps by just letting ebola kill everyone?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

karl fungus posted:

Oh, I see. Isn't that extremely rare, though?

http://www.isna.org/faq/frequency
there's a lot of different biological conditions included under the heading of "intersex," and while it's rare it's nowhere near as rare as people ASSUME it is, especially since the usual way for doctors to handle any intersex condition that is less obviously-difficult-to-handwave than outright fully-formed hermaphroditic sex organs is to be all "you're whichever one we picked for you now NEVER QUESTION IT EVER"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

1stGear posted:

MARSHAL LAW

WHEN AMERICA IS FORCED INTO FEMA DEATH CAMPS... ONLY ONE MAN CAN KEEP THE PEACE: MARSHAL LAW. This Spring on Fox.

e: content

fat ality

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Oct 11, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

MARSHAL LAW

:laffo: I bet this guy thinks Gamergate is a good thing too.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was supposed to be Sharia's law we worried about, not Marshall's.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I thought it was supposed to be Sharia's law we worried about, not Marshall's.

If you aren't living in constant fear of one law or another, you are not living right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If you aren't living in constant fear of one law or another, you are not living right.

If you aren't living in constant fear, you don't watch Fox News.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
At least Marshall is a good, solid, American name.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Rough Lobster posted:

It's French, sorry buddy :(

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Rough Lobster posted:

Buzkashi posted:

It's French, sorry buddy :(

Heard it in a love song. Can't be wrong.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

You've got it all wrong. It's Marcia Law.

(Infractions will be punished by having your nose broken with a football and not getting to go to the prom with Davy Jones.)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sorry guys, Marshall Law is Japanese.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

loving hell, copyright 1994? I am very old. :smith:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Actually he's Chinese-American!

:goonsay:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Irradiation posted:

The A often stands for Ally not asexual.

This is what I've always heard, but apparently...

Wikipedia posted:

Other variants may have a "U" for "unsure"; a "C" for "curious"; another "T" for "transvestite"; a "TS", or "2" for "Two-Spirit" persons; and/or an "SA" for "straight allies". [50][51][52][53][54] Some may also add a "P" for "polyamorous", an "H" for "HIV-affected", and/or an "O" for "other".[24][55] Furthermore, the initialism LGBTIH has seen use in India to encompass the hijra third gender identity and the related subculture.[56]

The acronym LGBTTQQIAAP (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Ally, Panssexual) has also resulted, although such acronyms are sometimes criticized for being confusing and leaving some people out, as well as issues of placement of the letters within the new title.[57][58][59] There is also the acronym QUILTBAG (Queer and Questioning, Intersex, Lesbian, Transgender and Transsexual and Two-Spirit, Bisexual, Asexual and Ally, and Gay and Genderqueer).[60]

The magazine Anything That Moves coined the acronym "FABGLITTER" from Fetish (such as the BDSM lifestyle community), Allies or poly-Amorous (as in Polyamorous couples), Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Intersexed, Transgender, Transsexual Engendering Revolution or inter-Racial attraction; however, this term has not made its way into common usage.[2]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3OXGKvmfww

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In China, the most common methods of suicide are pesticide ingestion and jumping from buildings, and female suicides outnumber male suicides at about 1.3:1 (source). Naturally there are a lot of other factors that go into that number, but the efficiency of suicide methods is part of it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I just don't get how "Everybody dies" is a legitimate endgame that the government would want. What does anyone gain from killing all of their citizens? Less traffic downtown?

It doesn't even say a certain type of person will be singled out, it's "People will be forced out of their homes" and once FEMA's got them, "everyone will die." Just... because?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Parasol Prophet posted:

I just don't get how "Everybody dies" is a legitimate endgame that the government would want. What does anyone gain from killing all of their citizens? Less traffic downtown?

It doesn't even say a certain type of person will be singled out, it's "People will be forced out of their homes" and once FEMA's got them, "everyone will die." Just... because?

These are people who probably believe that FEMA is run by the Illuminati/Majestic 12 and that Deus Ex is literally how the world is, the same organization is making the cause and cure to the Grey Death (or Ebola in our case).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Parasol Prophet posted:

One of the common NWO/Illuminati endgames cited by conspiracy theorists is wanting to reduce the world's population by 90% to make them easier to control.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yes, a real person chose this for their FB banner picture.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone curious about the whole intersex topic should read Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I mean, it's a novel, so I'm not sure whether it's completely factual, but I believe the intersex community has had a positive reaction to it- it does a really good job of getting into the mindset of an intersex person.

Plus it's just a drat fine book in general- it won the Pulitzer for fiction!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I normally don't see much dumb on FB, I keep my feed pretty clean, but I saw this and had to share.

If you don't think about things they don't count :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I normally don't see much dumb on FB, I keep my feed pretty clean, but I saw this and had to share.

If you don't think about things they don't count :v:

Well, he's not really wrong. The automatic calculations we all do are very different from the stuff on a test. You, the conscious mind, doesn't do them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Byzantine posted:

Well, he's not really wrong. The automatic calculations we all do are very different from the stuff on a test. You, the conscious mind, doesn't do them at all.

Its actually exactly the same math being done, other than being an estimate instead of an exact calculation. You just don't think about it.

And the link at the bottom gives quite a few examples where you DO do the calculations exactly, but don't think of it as algebra.

• Locked thread