Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How on earth is it easier to run a tournament for the WiiU version, where the person running it will have to aquire several TVs, WiiUs, copies of the game, complete with save files that have everything unlocked; then the 3DS version, in which the tournament organizer just needs to set up a building and everyone in it can bring their own 3DS's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

KennyMan666 posted:

Tournaments in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS won't be run on 3DSes?

A tournament in the version of the game where nobody can watch except the players sure sounds like fun. I can't wait for the hype as gently caress Evo finals where I get to stare at the back of some nerds' heads for twenty minutes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Do you people seriously not expect there to be tournaments happening for both versions or something?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr Pepper posted:

How on earth is it easier to run a tournament for the WiiU version, where the person running it will have to aquire several TVs, WiiUs, copies of the game, complete with save files that have everything unlocked; then the 3DS version, in which the tournament organizer just needs to set up a building and everyone in it can bring their own 3DS's

I don't know, how have they managed to run Melee tournaments all these years?

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I dunno why have Street Fighter 4 tournaments at Evo when it's easier to have Street Fighter 4 for 3ds.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

KennyMan666 posted:

Do you people seriously not expect there to be tournaments happening for both versions or something?

When there's going to be a console version that you can actually make out your character in, other people can spectate/commentate on, and players can use the controller they've been using for the last thirteen years instead of the awful 3DS controls that don't even have a right stick? No, I don't.

The second the Wii U version is out nobody in the competitive scene is going to give a gently caress about the 3DS version.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Unlocked Flame Chain for Ganondorf, and with that I've unlocked all of Ganondorf's custom moves.

Holy poo poo, Ganondorf's customs are awesome! Warlock Blade has both armor and great reach, Flame Chain turns his force choke into a multi-hit damage racker and Dark Fists is a two-hit KO move with high vertical recovery! And then there's Wizard's Dropkick which owns everything! Avoiding a variety of basic projectiles and expanded horizontal recovery are only two of it's possible applications... :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm pretty sure Tournaments sure as poo poo won't be run on 3DSes.

There's tournaments now, so it's not like it's something impossible. Side tournaments are certainly possible to save the TV's for the main event.

Dr Pepper posted:

You don't seem to understand half the point of big tournaments for any game is the ability to stream, and streaming 3DS battles is the biggest poo poo period.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TechnoSyndrome posted:

When there's going to be a console version that you can actually make out your character in, other people can spectate/commentate on, and players can use the controller they've been using for the last thirteen years instead of the awful 3DS controls that don't even have a right stick? No, I don't.

That's a pretty dumb thing to think.

There's no reason there won't be tournaments for both version.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KennyMan666 posted:

Considering it's the same game with different stages, they won't be treating them as separate games. Especially when no one except the players can watch unless you have a $300 mod on your OG 3DS.

Tae posted:

There's tournaments now, so it's not like it's something impossible. Side tournaments are certainly possible to save the TV's for the main event.

There's only tournaments now for the 3DS version because it's all we have. Once the Wii U version drops and people can use their GC pads there's not going to be any majors using the 3DS version unless they agree to get through pools quickly with 3DS matches (which would be smart). But then you have to factor in people using custom equipment and moves (I can see them using the latter, not the former) and how the stage selection is a 50/50 which you won't have to deal with on the Wii U version. How many tournaments did you see of Super Street Fighter 4 3D?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

A tournament in the version of the game where nobody can watch except the players sure sounds like fun. I can't wait for the hype as gently caress Evo finals where I get to stare at the back of some nerds' heads for twenty minutes.
They've already solved this by having a third neutral party host the game as Jigglypuff, who SDs until she has one stock left. Then her shield break KO is used as the timer to start the match.

The 3DS playing jigglypuff is hooked up to the capture card.

That said, I think 3DS tournaments will be relegated to a casual thing once Wii U comes out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
When the WiiU version comes out, tournaments will be on it. Fin

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Holy poo poo, Ganondorf's customs are awesome! Warlock Blade has both armor and great reach, Flame Chain turns his force choke into a multi-hit damage racker and Dark Fists is a two-hit KO move with high vertical recovery! And then there's Wizard's Dropkick which owns everything! Avoiding a variety of basic projectiles and expanded horizontal recovery are only two of it's possible applications... :allears:
He even uses his sword for some of them, right? People can no longer make fun of Ganondorf for this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The only mechanical difference between the versions that's relevant to multiplayer is the stage selection, and tourney players have ruled out almost all of the 3DS stages anyway.

Everything else-- control options, mitigation of lag, visual appeal for audiences-- leans in the Wii U version's favour.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Shadow Hog posted:

He even uses his sword for some of them, right? People can no longer make fun of Ganondorf for this.

Only for Warlock Blade. But yes, it does mean he's using his sword.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there a text dump of all the loading screen tips somewhere?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This is my first Smash game, so can I ask what the second stick does in console Smashes?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
There's going to be character transfer, odds are good people can use their own 3ds to set up characters and then use them on Wii U anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The second the Wii U version is out nobody in the competitive scene is going to give a gently caress about the 3DS version.

I'm worried about the online scene on the 3DS when the WiiU version comes out. I don't have a WiiU and I don't think I'll get one, what if the 3DS community completely evaporates whent he WiiU version comes out?

Schneider Heim posted:

This is my first Smash game, so can I ask what the second stick does in console Smashes?

It executes quick (no charge-up) smash moves.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'm worried about the online scene on the 3DS when the WiiU version comes out. I don't have a WiiU and I don't think I'll get one, what if the 3DS community completely evaporates whent he WiiU version comes out?

Unlikely, considering how many people own a 3DS vs. how many people own a WiiU. It's possible that Smash 4 WiiU will sell 3 million consoles but I doubt it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cleretic posted:

Incidentally, you can charge C Stick smashes with the Z button.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Nothing more irritating than getting trophies when you wanna get little wrenches in Classic Mode.
They should at least not give you repeated moves/gear/clothes, if they're gonna make it random :mad:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Calaveron posted:

Nothing more irritating than getting trophies when you wanna get little wrenches in Classic Mode.
They should at least not give you repeated moves/gear/clothes, if they're gonna make it random :mad:
Smash Run gives you much better success in general, plus it tends to align itself in giving a more highly likelihood of getting customs towards the character you're using, that's how I got everything for Little Mac and Pac-Man within a half-hour.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Calaveron posted:

If you hit the home button and then immediately press A when resuming, you'll basically get the icon on the wheel or the one just after.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope whoever designed rival smash gets hit by a bus and dies.

I've passed 50 so many times and the stupid rear end subtraction always carries it over. I can kill the rival a infinite amount of times and he suffers no penalty and it's so goddamn stupid. Even if it only subtracted like 5 I'd understand but the second your percent is high enough to get knocked away from the stage goodfucking bye having a good run because the mii's swarm the AI and he just racks up the numbers to take away from you.

What a terrible terrible challenge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've passed 50 so many times and the stupid rear end subtraction always carries it over. I can kill the rival a infinite amount of times and he suffers no penalty and it's so goddamn stupid. Even if it only subtracted like 5 I'd understand but the second your percent is high enough to get knocked away from the stage goodfucking bye having a good run because the mii's swarm the AI and he just racks up the numbers to take away from you.

Use your best character and completely ignore the rival, he's dumb and most likely won't do poo poo to you, just try and smash those mother fuckers and if you see the rival starts getting close smash him away. Focus 100% on the Miis.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Cleretic posted:

I see! Now I know what I'm missing out.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pick DK, mash Down B

FinalGamer posted:

Smash Run gives you much better success in general, plus it tends to align itself in giving a more highly likelihood of getting customs towards the character you're using, that's how I got everything for Little Mac and Pac-Man within a half-hour.
My experience is the opposite, though I'm always doing high intensity and hitting all the wrenches when I'm farming in Classic Mode. For instance, I just did a couple of Smash Runs with about 3-4 characters, and got maybe three new moves. Maybe one or two of them belonged to a character I used. Meanwhile, my experience in Classic Mode is getting like 10ish moves, where 4 or so are my character's moves. Who knows!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sire Oblivion posted:

Use your best character and completely ignore the rival, he's dumb and most likely won't do poo poo to you, just try and smash those mother fuckers and if you see the rival starts getting close smash him away. Focus 100% on the Miis.

The rival actually focuses on me instead of the mii's. I kill him about 3 times per attempt because he refuses to leave me alone and by then I have about 150% and he has 3 kills. I get knocked from the stage and he suddenly goes after mii's till I get back.

I tried the DK method but the AI keeps jumping in with air side b and knocking me out of it.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, this challenge loving sucked for me. This is the only challenge I couldn't do as Jigglypuff because the AI Jiggly was just too perfect (and it was really easy to get confused between myself and the AI). I beat it with Mario since I have the most practice with him (from playing the demo). It helped that AI Mario likes to throw fireballs and cape a lot so it kept his kills lower than I imagine another AI might get.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
... why does Little Mac have a wall jump?!

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The rival actually focuses on me instead of the mii's. I kill him about 3 times per attempt because he refuses to leave me alone and by then I have about 150% and he has 3 kills. I get knocked from the stage and he suddenly goes after mii's till I get back.

I tried the DK method but the AI keeps jumping in with air side b and knocking me out of it.

Use Dedede and shoot gordos and use his UP+B.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rival Smash is really easy if you have something with good vertical range that can take out a lot of enemies really easily, like Pikachu's Thunder or Ike's Aether. Even if the rival comes over, he'll just be sent flying pretty quickly. I've gotten over 50 in my first attempts with those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

... why does Little Mac have a wall jump?!

The logic behind who does and doesn't get a wall jump, outside of 'people wo can walk jump in their own games can here', is very nebulous and weird.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just discovered the trophy descriptions. My god, some of these are gold. I actually want to unlock all of these now!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Finally beat Classic 9.0 with Ganon. Between this and Hyrule Warriors I'm really finding a new love for the 'Dorf.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

explosivo posted:

I just discovered the trophy descriptions. My god, some of these are gold. I actually want to unlock all of these now!

I heard a rumor that Shigesato Itoi wrote the trophy descriptions and loading screen tips and stuff. Which would explain some of the weirder poo poo like the 1-up Mushroom trophy description

edit: Link's Shield blocking projectiles while neutral has been a thing since 64. Although it did get buffed pretty hard in Smash 4.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 11, 2014

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
So, Link (and more importantly, Toon Link) have this insane property in their shields. When you're standing still or walking slowly, or crouching, and not attacking, their shields will block basically any projectile. Including, but not limited to:

Basically any of Megaman's attacks except Metal Blade which passes through. Any charged ball of energy (Mii Gunner's, Samus', Lucario's), Lucario's Side B, Zelda's Din's Fire and Phantom Slash, all of the fireballs and pills, boomarangs , Rosalina's Neutral B, thundershocks, flame breaths, PK blasts, Cannonballs, bowling balls--

Honestly it'd be easier to type what they DON'T block.

It doesn't block:

Fox or Falco's Lazers.
Samus' Morph Ball Bomb
Villager's slingshot back air (but it does block the forward air I dunno)
Robin's Thoron (but it does block every other thunder spell and arcfire)
Olimar's Pikmin Throw.
Megaman's Metal Blade (as it passes through)
Greninja's Water Shuriken. But only funny charged does it pass through.

but yeah. if it isn't any of those and it is a projectile, it'll just stop it dead in its track. Its also a great way to deal with huge pains like Zero Suit and the Clown Car.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I heard a rumor that Shigesato Itoi wrote the trophy descriptions and loading screen tips and stuff. Which would explain some of the weirder poo poo like the 1-up Mushroom trophy description

That would explain why the Paragoomba description uses the word "I" (which I found a little odd). There is another trophy with "we", but I guess it's much less specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

It'd be really awesome if this were the case, and would actually make enough sense that at least some Earthbound staff wrote some, but I doubt it was Itoi writing all the trophies. More likely, he and Sakurai just have a similar sense of humor that's coming through in the text of this game.

• Locked thread