Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
A rusted faded Orange with Purple would be pretty nice looking. I like more unusual colours on miniatures, I don't care for grey or straight black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hamath Kraatos? Yea or nay? Just converted up one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pics please? I say yay because of the name alone.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

yes I have a display case for my warhams

yes that's a praetor body

yes I need to drill out the barrel

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Is that official FW model?

loving lol the casting quality looks TERRIBLE.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

I've been looking at grabbing an ADL to supplement my Devastators. My general thought was to stick a squad of lascannon devs in, have the sarge manage the quad gun, and put an ammo dump close by so that everyone's rerolling 1s to hit. Obviously at 120 points for the whole setup on top of the cost of the squad this is a bit of an investment; what would be the minimum point limit that you would take something like this in? My gut says 1000 is too low to justify it but 1250 seems like maybe I could squeak it by.

Honestly, I'd take that at 1000, only I'd swap the las for heavy bolters. If you're not worried about fliers, change the gun out for a comms relay and you've got a safe spot to put down deep strikes if necessary, or drop it for the points and the savings. The las/quadgun is more than enough to pay for a decent scout squad/LSS, or another tactical squad or a minimum bike squad.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

Is that official FW model?

loving lol the casting quality looks TERRIBLE.

no, it's a hosed up games day boarding marine head

e: jesus it looks terrible close up. gonna find a different head.

e2: Just wound up going with an Errant head. Maybe I'll snag a plume off ebay.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Hey, SRM, took your Belial feedback to heart and tried out a different pose. Had to cut out and reposition the leg to make him actually look like he was bracing, it's not perfect but I feel like it's 80% of the way there? Tried out a number of positions for the shield. Lemme know what you think. Not glued to base, yet, just to show contrast.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah with the point drop I might need to consider one at some point. I don't encounter enough grav-weaponry that it would really be a problem and I really do love Torrent weapons. I just can't see it doing all that much damage over the course of a game compared to other options at that cost. You've got a couple turns for positioning and then maybe 2-3 good shots before it's either dead or the game is over.

The range is only ~4" less than a 24" gun, and I usually don't get too many range issues. The tyrannofex is a pretty great onslaught target as well.

Do marine players still spam grav? I thought that was replaced with droppods and melta, though I haven't been to a major tourney in a while.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Direwolf posted:

Hey, SRM, took your Belial feedback to heart and tried out a different pose. Had to cut out and reposition the leg to make him actually look like he was bracing, it's not perfect but I feel like it's 80% of the way there? Tried out a number of positions for the shield. Lemme know what you think. Not glued to base, yet, just to show contrast.

This looks pretty cool. Maybe if you rotate the wrist with the hammer so that it looks like he's about to block and then counter attack? Right now his right arm is just hanging out there.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
so some of the GW stores in the UK have rebranded to being "Warhammer" shops

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Squifferific posted:

This looks pretty cool. Maybe if you rotate the wrist with the hammer so that it looks like he's about to block and then counter attack? Right now his right arm is just hanging out there.

Wa ha

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Now he looks like he's about to smite a bitch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cataphract posted:

Yuck. At least Games Workshop sounds like it sells games instead of medieval props.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just wanted to confirm since I don't have the codex with me right now, but a Space Marine Honor Guard is 5 members, correct?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
e: double post, sorry

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 11, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

Yo dawg, cool photoshop

I bet 4chan is laughing their asses off with this going viral

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Not a photoshop. Chiswick has changed to this. I find it oddly cringe.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you say so. I was going to Photoshop the title to say "GAY", but all the letters are pixilated like somebody blurred them and then hit them with a sharpen filter.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Finished painting my Malanthrope. Though I do miss the loss of the 2 psychic dice, having it replace both the Venomthrope and Zoanthrope in my list has been pretty effective. Haven't once had it gain the benefits of Prey Adaptation though. The few times it has gotten into close combat it hasn't survived.

High Res

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Great job, seriously. Love the flesh.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

If you say so. I was going to Photoshop the title to say "GAY", but all the letters are pixilated like somebody blurred them and then hit them with a sharpen filter.

I would play at a game store that just said "GAY" in big letters as the store sign. It would probably be a good way of self-selecting for people who aren't homophobic grognards.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Master Twig posted:

Finished painting my Malanthrope. Though I do miss the loss of the 2 psychic dice, having it replace both the Venomthrope and Zoanthrope in my list has been pretty effective. Haven't once had it gain the benefits of Prey Adaptation though. The few times it has gotten into close combat it hasn't survived.

High Res

Those are some gorgeous fleshy lumps right there. It kinda reminds me of slither.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

jadebullet posted:

So I just wanted to confirm since I don't have the codex with me right now, but a Space Marine Honor Guard is 5 members, correct?

I believe it starts at 3.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
^^^
Yeah, minimum three- two derps and the Champion.

not lame! posted:

Is the Crimson Slaughter supplement more competitive/overpowered than the standard chaos codex?

Its relics are pretty good, although I would argue that they're basically on-par with the standard CSM ones (as the Blinding Axe and Burning Brand are both quite good, and the Black Mace is no pushover.) It's not allowed to take Veterans of the Lost War (so what) and gets some Fear stuff instead (also so what), but has access to a warlord table with very few "misses" on it and has a few other neat tricks. All in all it's a small boost for CSM, but not a huge one.

PantsOptional posted:

I've been looking at grabbing an ADL to supplement my Devastators. My general thought was to stick a squad of lascannon devs in, have the sarge manage the quad gun, and put an ammo dump close by so that everyone's rerolling 1s to hit. Obviously at 120 points for the whole setup on top of the cost of the squad this is a bit of an investment; what would be the minimum point limit that you would take something like this in? My gut says 1000 is too low to justify it but 1250 seems like maybe I could squeak it by.

You won't actually be able to get a Quad Gun and an Ammo Dump at the same time- you're limited to one selection from the Debris section. As for what points value to take it at, that depends a lot on how many flyers you see in your area. I probably wouldn't go for it below 1500, and only then if I had multiple units I'd want to stick behind it (that Dev squad, some Tacticals, etc.) An Aegis Line's value is in the number of units it is protecting- it's probably not worth 50pts to give one unit a 4+ cover save, but if you're running Devs, two Predators, and some Combat Squads? That's another matter.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was 5. I think I may have gotten it mixed up with the kit coming with 5 figures.

Anyway, how do people normally run their Honor Guard anyway? You can have up to 10, but I think that is way too big of a points sink and was thinking about running 5 with a banner, and kitting them and my Chapter Master out for close combat.(Thunder Hammer for the Chapter Master, and Relic Blades or Power Axes for the Honor Guard.) This is partially for fluff reasons, and partially because it seems like it would be a pretty fun squad to run. Is that reasonable? For context, I play casually and just want to make sure that setting up a squad like this isn't completely useless but I don't care as much if it isn't the absolutely most optimal.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JerryLee posted:

I would play at a game store that just said "GAY" in big letters as the store sign. It would probably be a good way of self-selecting for people who aren't homophobic grognards.

Also for extremely old people who still think "gay" is a synonym for "happy". They come in to meet other happy people, and it results in a 96-year-old great-grandmother cursing her dice in archaic fashion while the non-homophobic grognard across from her tries to figure out how he's going to gracefully beat an old lady.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Pyrolocutus posted:

Also for extremely old people who still think "gay" is a synonym for "happy". They come in to meet other happy people, and it results in a 96-year-old great-grandmother cursing her dice in archaic fashion while the non-homophobic grognard across from her tries to figure out how he's going to gracefully beat an old lady.

He does it the same way anyone wins a game of 40k, he rolls more 6's than she does.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jadebullet posted:

2 + champion, can buy 7 more

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was 5. I think I may have gotten it mixed up with the kit coming with 5 figures.

Anyway, how do people normally run their Honor Guard anyway? You can have up to 10, but I think that is way too big of a points sink and was thinking about running 5 with a banner, and kitting them and my Chapter Master out for close combat.(Thunder Hammer for the Chapter Master, and Relic Blades or Power Axes for the Honor Guard.) This is partially for fluff reasons, and partially because it seems like it would be a pretty fun squad to run. Is that reasonable? For context, I play casually and just want to make sure that setting up a squad like this isn't completely useless but I don't care as much if it isn't the absolutely most optimal.

200 points gets you 8 of them vs. 5 assault terminators. That you can run them in numbers "cheaply" makes failing the 2+ save not such a big deal. They can sweeping advance. They have enough attacks (3 each, +1 if you banner, -1 if you relic blade) that multi-charging and taking disordered charge isn't terrible.

Throw them in a drop pod, or a Stormraven, or a Caestus.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oooh, that does sound pretty tempting. How are the Relic blades anyway?

Now I need to find two more Knight looking helms.

In the same theme, I am really happy with how the building of my Honor Guard Champion has come out. The pose works really well. Now to put him in the queue with the rest of the Honor Guard that I am painting up.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Got my game in against Dark Eldar and I think I... overestimated his list a bit. An Archon attached to five Scourges with two heat lances, two Raiders with ten Warriors each, three Reavers, a Venom and crew with as many splinter weapons as possible, two Razorwings, and a Ravager. I suppose he's still trying to feel this new edition out, because it was not a strongly contested match. It didn't help him that he kept his Archon/Scourges and Ravager in Reserve in addition to his two Flyers. By the time they arrived things were already pretty much done for.

We played the Contact Lost Tactical Objectives game, where you cannot draw cards without holding objectives. I won the roll to deploy/play first and he failed to seize.

Having set my FMCs up aggressively at the front line (half in Shrouded range), I was able to advance quickly. The Hive Crone proved to be one of the best assets in this match, which it showed early by vomiting acid on the three Reavers in cover and earning me a fast First Blood. In addition to that, two out of the three Hive Tyrants took out both Raiders while the third (my Warlord) hid in cover in the event he wanted to push for forcing a ton of wounds onto it with the Venom that I couldn't reach in time.

On his turn his Venom pumped a ton of splinter rounds into one of my two Harpies, downing it without much of a fuss. His Warriors took some pot-shots at my Hive Tyrants but failed to achieve anything of note.

My second turn took the Warriors apart and blasted the Venom to pieces, dumping its occupants out who were then in turn hosed down with flesh-eating worms. Harpies dive-bombed both Warrior clusters with spore mines, taking the majority off the table while the Hive Tyrants shored up the rest. At the end of my second turn he had two Warriors left on the table, who managed to hold their ground.

Here's a shot at the end of my turn.

His turn saw the appearance of his Archon/Scourges, one Razorwing, and the Ravager. As I was far into his territory, he opted to go for the relatively soft underbelly of my army still in my field (Termagants, Zoanthropes, Venomthropes, and my plucky Biovore). His HQ unit burst out of a webway and blasted the Venomthropes apart with heat rays, while his Ravager disintegrated the Biovore before it ever got a chance to liquefy any Dark Eldar. :rip: His Razorwing dove in at my backline Zoanthrope on the right, trying to take out my Synapse net and get my Troops to scatter. The Zoanthrope died piteously, failing both 3+ invulnerable saves to two wounds.

On my turn my Swooping FMCs attempted to pull back into range to cover the incoming vehicles. One of my Hive Tyrants confidently shot at the back of the Razorwing, its aim true and shots deadly. It scored four penetrating hits and one glance. The Razorwing proceeded to make all cover saves on a 6+.

(Note: after the game I was reading around and I believe the 6+ cover save is only on the first turn and/or when Night Fighting is occurring? I don't have the Dark Eldar book and honestly 6+ cover is shite so I wouldn't complain one way or the other. Even if it wasn't supposed to get it, if someone asks me "hey make this vehicle not take damage if I roll five of the same number" I'd say ok.)

On his turn, the spooked Razorwing flies off the table and the Archon and the Scourges split up to try to kill two Termagant units in one turn. They find, however, that even T3 chaff is difficult to clear when it's in cover and Fearless. Both units get stuck in, the Archon cutting through four Termagants while taking no damage (he's got the 2++ field). His Ravager fires insanely at my FMCs, knowing that death is coming. It missing with all its shots.

On my turn my Hive Tyrants manage to right themselves enough while Swooping to better support the back and while they can't engage in combat themselves, cast a Paroxysm on the Archon. They blow the Ravager apart with shooting. My Termagants manage to put four wounds onto the Archon, but he passes them all and kills one Termagant in return.

His fourth turn finally sees both Razorwings hit the skies, who alpha strike at my Warlord Hive Tyrant. Both do an incredible job at shooting and only by the skin of its teeth does the Warlord survive with one wound (and a ton of Jinks). In close combat, the Termagants engaged with the Archon put another three wounds onto him and (trying to balance the luck from the cover saves, obviously) he gets three 1s to save. He FNPs one wound, but loses his field and understands that the end is nigh.

My last turn is spent just cleaning up the rest of the table. He's cleared off in turn five, already having scored 6-1 by virtue of dominating the table. It was a fun game and he had a little bit of a comeback after his initial losses, but it wasn't enough to come back.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

This looks good, but his back leg should probably be angled so his toes are angled away from his body/almost perpendicular to his other foot. It looks a little bit like he's duck walking towards the enemy rather than bracing. The other foot and arms look great though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's really interesting seeing things like this, doubly so because the area I play in would be pretty repulsed by a 5FMC list. Seeing a fully painted army on a fully painted table is always a good experience, though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sir Teabag posted:

This looks good, but his back leg should probably be angled so his toes are angled away from his body/almost perpendicular to his other foot. It looks a little bit like he's duck walking towards the enemy rather than bracing. The other foot and arms look great though.

I agree with this. I think cutting and repositioning the leg might have been a mistake. If you want the model to look like it's bracing you would have been better off with the default pose. Hopefully that's an easy fix. And I don't know if this is a side effect of altering the other leg, but the left foot is at a weird angle and doesn't seem to be completely in contact with the base.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

This kicks rear end.

Also the the Triaros comes in surprisingly few pieces. looks kickass though. (And massive)

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 11, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

It does work very well! The shield covers up many of the sins of the old Warsmith model, the pose is so befitting a duelist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Cataphract posted:

To paraphrase an MST3K riff, want to go to WARHAMMER and play GAME? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So at Warhammer Fest they're previewing Warhammer the app. Product and GW news thing basically.

Currently in a very long line for FW stuff, the new Chaos book is the only new IA things but there's loads of shirts, hoodies and mugs you'll surely see on ebay in a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

So at Warhammer Fest they're previewing Warhammer the app. Product and GW news thing basically.

Currently in a very long line for FW stuff, the new Chaos book is the only new IA things but there's loads of shirts, hoodies and mugs you'll surely see on ebay in a couple of hours.

Get them to sponsor the oath thread :sparkles:

• Locked thread