Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

Okay, turned out that my problem with this level was using the book instead of the summoning gate. I didn't think the recommended element made all that much difference, not after I beat Zelda's tier 2 baton mission so much more easily with a tier 2 rapier than when I tried it with the "right" weapon. So I thought using the strongest weapon I had was the way to go. But drat, the enemies in this level must be crazy resistant to lightning because switching to the gate made the difference between "take a couple minutes to kill one stalmaster" and "wreck entire rooms in seconds"

Oh well yeah, that would do it. The enemies are also geared towards the summoning gate in particular being obscenely strong and able to do huge amounts of AOE damage.

Generally it's best to use the weapon it wants you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

larchesdanrew posted:

If you're trying to avoid getting hit, the three seconds you spend winding up leave you very vulnerable. It's insanely powerful if it goes off without a hitch, though.

Oh, sure, if there's anything in there with a health bar, that takes priority. If it's just mooks though you can wipe them all out in one go.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suaimhneas posted:

Okay, turned out that my problem with this level was using the book instead of the summoning gate. I didn't think the recommended element made all that much difference, not after I beat Zelda's tier 2 baton mission so much more easily with a tier 2 rapier than when I tried it with the "right" weapon. So I thought using the strongest weapon I had was the way to go. But drat, the enemies in this level must be crazy resistant to lightning because switching to the gate made the difference between "take a couple minutes to kill one stalmaster" and "wreck entire rooms in seconds"

Recommended element isn't a huge deal, IME, but it does seem that a lot of stages have a "decidedly not recommended" element. Predictably, Gorons seem to be hilariously resistant to fire, for instance.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

What I could really use is one of these that tells you what the hell you need for everyone's badges. I keep telling myself I'll make a checklist, because I end up going in to see if I have enough materials like once every three battles, but I somehow always convince myself I'm going to remember.
I'm currently working on something for this, since ridiculous spreadsheets for video games are somewhat of a hobby of mine. Right now it's only an Open Office file (Google can't handle the fancy stuff I'm doing and I haven't looked in to converting it to Excel yet), but I used an earlier version to get all the Nier weapon upgrades, so it's definitely useful. At this point I have most of the tracking magic working, so I pretty much just need to do all the data entry and then I'll make it available for download.

Speaking of the data entry, I haven't actually picked up all the materials yet, so if someone can help fill in the blanks in my list of unknown materials I'd appreciate it. http://pastebin.com/XR4ZmB4r

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The one thing I'm disappointed that this game doesn't have is situations where you fight the playable characters wielding their non-default weapons. There's that one Legend mode level with Ganondorf where the Impa clones have the Naginata, but unless there are some special endgame levels I haven't seen yet that have them, that's it. I wanna fight Gauntlet Link and Summoning Gate Lana!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They may not even have intro cutscenes for those.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bloodly posted:

They may not even have intro cutscenes for those.

Well they should make them. :mad:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Farming materials for badges is really bumming me out. So, has anyone checked to see what kind of materials the Evil trio are going to require? I hope it's not stuff like imprisoned scales and moblin spears.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ughhh, I literally just lost a quiz mission because Agitha couldn't stop getting in the way of my attacks with her pathetic health pool.

Also, does Zant even have a weak point? He does special moves for days and never has a drat weak seal come up.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Oxyclean posted:

Ughhh, I literally just lost a quiz mission because Agitha couldn't stop getting in the way of my attacks with her pathetic health pool.

Also, does Zant even have a weak point? He does special moves for days and never has a drat weak seal come up.

His weak point is tied to his character gimmick for some reason, so the only time you see it is when he does too many charges and gets dizzy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So that "too many poes" stage for the level 3 gauntlets was indeed as annoying as people were saying. After a few failed attempts I thought I would be clever and go find a place to get Ganondorf's Gauntlets, since I only needed one more for a level three Magic Armor badge. So I do that, I make my badge and think nothing will be able to touch me now.

Only it turns out that this level is not, in fact, a lightning recommended stage at all. So there's no defense bonus to be had. Urrgh

But I beat it anyway so hello Chain Chomp.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally beat Legend mode! :toot:

Now I can get hard mode Skulltulas and have fun with that rewards map! I can see myself using it a lot, because it seems everyone and their mother wants really rare loot for their badges now. Sheesh.

I still need to unlock Zant... I think I'll make that my next priority.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Regy Rusty posted:

The one thing I'm disappointed that this game doesn't have is situations where you fight the playable characters wielding their non-default weapons.

I had a situation sort of like this on a network link today. I was blasting through the water temple and something really odd caught my eye. I went over to check it out and in the middle of a bunch of hyrule soldiers was Link, chilling at an outpost and wielding the 8-bit sword. Never thought about guests using other levels of weapons, but that was a pretty obvious example of it.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Earlier tonight I fought Baton Zelda in Darunia's Level 3 weapon stage. She didn't seem to ever want to expose her weak point, so that was fun.

Also gently caress the Summoning Gate and gently caress the Great Fairy. I'm trying to brute force level 3 Gate atm and it's so goddamn miserable. Stupid thing can't break weak points for poo poo, so Impa and Link take forever to go down. I have the stage figured out but I lose out on time due to those two. I imagine level 3 Fairy is going to be just as horrible since every combo finisher lasts as long as a special attack and I can't imagine it's much better in the weak point department. Urgh.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Regy Rusty posted:

So that "too many poes" stage for the level 3 gauntlets was indeed as annoying as people were saying. After a few failed attempts I thought I would be clever and go find a place to get Ganondorf's Gauntlets, since I only needed one more for a level three Magic Armor badge. So I do that, I make my badge and think nothing will be able to touch me now.

Only it turns out that this level is not, in fact, a lightning recommended stage at all. So there's no defense bonus to be had. Urrgh

But I beat it anyway so hello Chain Chomp.

I spent a couple hours on this same mission tonight, and I too struggled with the 'what do you MEAN there's no elemental defense??' problem. I finally beat it after five or six tries, which is far more than I've had to do for any other mission, including Zelda's level 2 baton. Granted, I've only done a couple of the level 3s, so maybe I'm in for misery all around the board :(

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Vanrushal posted:

Earlier tonight I fought Baton Zelda in Darunia's Level 3 weapon stage. She didn't seem to ever want to expose her weak point, so that was fun.

Also gently caress the Summoning Gate and gently caress the Great Fairy. I'm trying to brute force level 3 Gate atm and it's so goddamn miserable. Stupid thing can't break weak points for poo poo, so Impa and Link take forever to go down. I have the stage figured out but I lose out on time due to those two. I imagine level 3 Fairy is going to be just as horrible since every combo finisher lasts as long as a special attack and I can't imagine it's much better in the weak point department. Urgh.

The correct way to use the Great Fairy is to spam the finisher that drops bombs everywhere and never use anything else, save your basic attack string for outpost captains and such.

As for the Summoning Gate, you don't even need to bother with Weak Point Smashes because the powered up summons are so stupidly strong. Fish for a powered up Argorok summon and watch everything burn.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm not feeling Ghiranim yet, and I did manage to pull him up to everyone else's level. Maybe he just takes some getting used to. I do dig that he seems to have a little bit of distance on his weak attacks. I've unlocked Agitha but I'm still catching her up. It's really cruel of them to give you the Adventure Mode unlock characters at level 20.

I know someone mentioned earlier, but gently caress is it difficult to keep Sheik from going into "help me" mode while killing that Dodongo. She's stayed alive and I still haven't gotten it, so I assume you have to do it before her blue "help" circle generates? Getting a few of the level 2 unlocks has been good, anyway.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Gotta say that I love the Hyrule Warriors interpretation of Zora's Domain/Lake Hylia/Water Temple. Having King Zora's throne room as the allied base camp feels so right.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The level 2 summoning gate and great fairy missions seem to be super lenient on the damage rating. I was up around 8k on them and still got As for damage. And I was certain I had tanked on both.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just watched someone try the "Boss Rush" reward map. :stare:

What are the other three reward maps? Does anyone know what they are/what the actual rewards are?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just watched someone try the "Boss Rush" reward map. :stare:

What are the other three reward maps? Does anyone know what they are/what the actual rewards are?

One is picking a waifu to ally with (no fishtits or witchtits though) and then killing the rest
One is killing Ruto, Sheik, Darunia and a mountain of Gorons
One is killing all the villain characters, Volga and Wizzro twice.
One is a boss rush and the last one I can't even remember besides fighting Ganondorf.
First one you beat gives you the blue tunic and beating all of them gives you the red goron tunic. They're great for materials and gaining levels.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I seem to remember someone recommending a level to play first when you get to the first three-way split in story mode. Can anyone tell me which level that was real quick?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Go Twilight Princess path so you get the Hookshot, which you'll need for Heart Pieces/Skulltulas in the other paths.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Vanrushal posted:

Go Twilight Princess path so you get the Hookshot, which you'll need for Heart Pieces/Skulltulas in the other paths.

Awesome, thank you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone have any tips for Agitha's level 3 mission? I can't get anywhere on that one. It looks from my experience like the enemies in front of you at the start are a red herring and you should go for Ganondorf immediately, then swing up to take out Zelda with Cia, but there are just so goddamn many dinolfos and they are a bitch and a half to kill. Agitha's combos being complete butt that leaves her incredibly vulnerable doesn't help. Losing my base or just flat out dying are real possibilities for the first time in a long while. The best results I've had so far are pretty much just spamming her BY combo and, if it looks safe, juggling after that, but if a single dinolfos blocks, dodges, or just doesn't get lifted for whatever reason, I'm toast.

But man this is the roughest level 3 so far. The rest that I've done have been pretty easy, taking a couple attempts at most, or getting it on the first shot like Ganondorf's.

And this is unrelated, but I still have yet to find a non-manhandla use for the boomerang. It doesn't even hit half the time.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 11, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

chumbler posted:

Anyone have any tips for Agitha's level 3 mission? I can't get anywhere on that one. It looks from my experience like the enemies in front of you at the start are a red herring and you should go for Ganondorf immediately, then swing up to take out Zelda with Cia, but there are just so goddamn many dinolfos and they are a bitch and a half to kill. Agitha's combos being complete butt that leaves her incredibly vulnerable doesn't help. Losing my base or just flat out dying are real possibilities for the first time in a long while. The best results I've had so far are pretty much just spamming her BY combo and, if it looks safe, juggling after that, but if a single dinolfos blocks, dodges, or just doesn't get lifted for whatever reason, I'm toast.

But man this is the roughest level 3 so far. The rest that I've done have been pretty easy, taking a couple attempts at most, or getting it on the first shot like Ganondorf's.

And this is unrelated, but I still have yet to find a non-manhandla use for the boomerang. It doesn't even hit half the time.

That one is by far the hardest. What I found was the that Y hits of the butterfly in midair do obscene damage, therefore the best tactic is to run away from the Dinolfos and YYYX, hop on the butterfly and YYY, then finish it off with an X divebomb. Then run away and do it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

chumbler posted:

There isn't one. The boomerang is crapola.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

There isn't one. The boomerang is crapola.

There are some skulltullas behind those tentacle things.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Someone earlier in the thread had said they were using it to reliably stun officers, but I wasn't really getting that. When I tried that out, they either blocked it or were stunned for as long as it took for me to hit them once, where they would then immediately resume their blocking spree. I maintain that the only uses the boomerang has are its two utility uses, and nothing more.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Is it just me or are the "level" ratings for adventure mode maps completely arbitrary? I went and did a "kill X enemies" one that was level 8 and easily A'ed it, then went to go do a Level 1 one and it was significantly harder and barely scraped by with a B

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Is it just me or are the "level" ratings for adventure mode maps completely arbitrary? I went and did a "kill X enemies" one that was level 8 and easily A'ed it, then went to go do a Level 1 one and it was significantly harder and barely scraped by with a B

Kill X enemies isn't a mission type that are ranked together. Each number of enemies you have to kill has separate rankings.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I feel like they get generally harder, but there are definitely outliers. The level ratings for the devastating attack missions are completely bogus once you start using a bow.

^edit: Didn't know that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's because obviously any stage where you have to kill fewer enemies is going to be easier than even level 1 of one where you have to kill 100+ more.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Is there an actual Adventure map guide? Just using the old map doesn't make some of the secrets easier to find, not to mention it doesn't say which items to use. Google only shows everyone linking the old map or is a stupid clickbait site with nothing useful.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
In the original Zelda, does Link seriously MacGyver his way across the water with a ladder? I was pretty mad when the raft didn't work to unlock Ruto's level 3 weapon the other day. :geno:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

In the original Zelda, does Link seriously MacGyver his way across the water with a ladder? I was pretty mad when the raft didn't work to unlock Ruto's level 3 weapon the other day. :geno:

That is exactly what he does. It's pretty weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

link uses the ladder for everything but vertical movement

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Is there an actual Adventure map guide? Just using the old map doesn't make some of the secrets easier to find, not to mention it doesn't say which items to use. Google only shows everyone linking the old map or is a stupid clickbait site with nothing useful.

Which item to use is entirely dependent on the type of tile. If it's a bush, you'll use the candle. If it's a rock or gravestone, you use the power band. If it's a cliff wall, use bombs, and so on. I found those three items to be the trickiest to find exact placement for, since there are tons of bushes/rocks/etc everywhere. So if on the old map, it shows a secret stairway where there would be a bush, you use the candle.

But the Water Bomb only works on a rock in the water, the Digging Mitts only work on a patch of green grass with an X, the Ice Arrows only work on rings of fire, and the Harp only works on the cluster of blue pixels (butterflies), the raft only works on docks... those are pretty easy to spot without using a compass.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I know someone mentioned earlier, but gently caress is it difficult to keep Sheik from going into "help me" mode while killing that Dodongo. She's stayed alive and I still haven't gotten it, so I assume you have to do it before her blue "help" circle generates? Getting a few of the level 2 unlocks has been good, anyway.

Does anyone have any tips? I've tried it a couple of times, and it seems like every time I leave Sheik alone for ten seconds, she gets her health down to half!

e: Nevermind, did it seconds afterward. I just had to ignore Sheik and kill the drat thing using every bit of magic meter and special that I had.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I picked up a copy of the hardcover Hyrule Warriors guide. It has a good guide for Adventure Mode. It will set you back about $25 to $35 and Gamestop might have one. They were on Amazon dot com as well so you could check there.

Other than that you're next best bet is gamefaqs dot com :cry:

If you want to get one on the cheap, when you buy a physical copy of the hintbook, it comes with a code to access a digital version of the book on a computer. You might be able to find someone who bought the physical book and doesn't care about the digital code and might sell it to you or let you have it for free. Try ebay?

edit: Found someone selling a digital code for the book for $5 on ebay. Do a search for "Hyrule Warriors Primagames eGuide"

edit2: For anyone wanting to unlock weapons in game, here's a nice free online guide for where they are hidden. http://whatsyourtagblog.com/2014/10/01/hyrule-warriors-how-to-unlock-all-weapons/

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 11, 2014

• Locked thread