Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How was Buttercreamers not a D&D gang tag?

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Holy poo poo the Wikipedia article for this movie is way too long and detailed for a direct-to-video movie.

Goons have been busy.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Good Citizen posted:

Real fans watch the subbed version

:smug:

just like my animes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Phyllis Schafly is my waifu :3:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
she is moe all the way

I don't know if that's supposed to have an accent mark or something.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

N. Senada posted:

she is moe all the way

I don't know if that's supposed to have an accent mark or something.

it's 萌え. please get it right

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I know it's from a couple of pages back, but this is a brilliant ethering of Matt Walsh:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/507635203452329987

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Prester John posted:

Absolutely this. This is a from an awful Christian move called "The Buttercream Gang." The buttercreamers (not making that up, they actually refer to themselves that way) are a gang of young boys that spend all their free time volunteering to help the elderly and infirm in their neighborhood. It is an old club that started druing WWII when neighberhood boys would go churn butter because all the men were off to war. The plot is that President of the buttercreamers, the most wholesome of them, moves to a big city to live with some relatives for reasons. After six months in the big city he comes back completely transformed into a godless hellraiser. (But not really, since most of the poo poo he does is actually extremely minor) He forms his own rival gang based on petty theft and blah blah blah.

This represents an honest and genuine attempt to tell a story with humanized characters.

To make sense of this I would like to say that evangelicals conceive of "entertainment" in an entirely different way. Entertainment is not about being entertained or blowing off some steam. (Frankly that concept is almost totally devoid in evangelicals, its as incomprehensible to them as Chan culture would have been if you time machined it to the 18th century.) Entertainment is about learning how to be a better godly person, especially for children. Every facet of of their life possible *MUST* be designed to further reinforce their godliness. This movie was actually controversial in my particular wingnut community and only the older children "who were ready for it" were allowed to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWW-r0AWr8

Is that what that movie was about? They made us watch it in school but even as a kid I figured out it was poo poo and remember not paying attention at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

surrender posted:

I know it's from a couple of pages back, but this is a brilliant ethering of Matt Walsh:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/507635203452329987

It's nice to see the guy behind publicshaming.tumblr.com also skewering right-wing blowhards like this :allears:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Prester John posted:

Absolutely this. This is a from an awful Christian move called "The Buttercream Gang." The buttercreamers (not making that up, they actually refer to themselves that way) are a gang of young boys that spend all their free time volunteering to help the elderly and infirm in their neighborhood. It is an old club that started druing WWII when neighberhood boys would go churn butter because all the men were off to war. The plot is that President of the buttercreamers, the most wholesome of them, moves to a big city to live with some relatives for reasons. After six months in the big city he comes back completely transformed into a godless hellraiser. (But not really, since most of the poo poo he does is actually extremely minor) He forms his own rival gang based on petty theft and blah blah blah.

This represents an honest and genuine attempt to tell a story with humanized characters.

To make sense of this I would like to say that evangelicals conceive of "entertainment" in an entirely different way. Entertainment is not about being entertained or blowing off some steam. (Frankly that concept is almost totally devoid in evangelicals, its as incomprehensible to them as Chan culture would have been if you time machined it to the 18th century.) Entertainment is about learning how to be a better godly person, especially for children. Every facet of of their life possible *MUST* be designed to further reinforce their godliness. This movie was actually controversial in my particular wingnut community and only the older children "who were ready for it" were allowed to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWW-r0AWr8

The sad part is that there's so much amazing literature out there written from an explicitly Christian standpoint (Flannery O'Connor and Dostoevsky come to mind) that most of these whitebread evangelicals never even hear about or would be willing to read anyway due to dark subject matter. At most they'll read C.S. Lewis, but rarely his non-Narnia works.

As a Christian, I understand what they're attempting to get at in terms of sanctification, but they're so utterly terrified of the rest of the world that they're denying themselves chances at genuine personal and spiritual growth by pushing all the stuff away that they perceive as too rough around the edges. The story you mention about the perfect boyscout going to the bag swarthy city and coming back a hooligan reflects this to a tee.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The sad part is that there's so much amazing literature out there written from an explicitly Christian standpoint (Flannery O'Connor and Dostoevsky come to mind) that most of these whitebread evangelicals never even hear about or would be willing to read anyway due to dark subject matter. At most they'll read C.S. Lewis, but rarely his non-Narnia works.

As a Christian, I understand what they're attempting to get at in terms of sanctification, but they're so utterly terrified of the rest of the world that they're denying themselves chances at genuine personal and spiritual growth by pushing all the stuff away that they perceive as too rough around the edges. The story you mention about the perfect boyscout going to the bag swarthy city and coming back a hooligan reflects this to a tee.

One thing I've always wondered about these types is, how can you ever really be confident in your faith if you're too afraid to ever let it be tested? Like you said, there's great potential for personal and spiritual growth that they're running away from.

It's like deep down they don't believe, or are afraid they don't believe, and so anything that challenges their worldview is likely to blow it apart like so much dust.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: On NPR today they had I guess a call-in segment, and some woman, smart woman called up and said, "You know, I object to you people calling them the Democratic Party. It's not the Democratic Party. It's the Democrat Party, Republican Party, and you keep --" And that got blamed on me. We have the sound bite.

I'm proud of that, too, 'cause I did start that trend. It's been years ago that I started refusing to call 'em "democratic," 'cause they're not anyway. They're the Autocratic Party. If you want to put an I-C after the name, they're the Autocratic Party. There's nothing democratic about the Democratic Party.

It's not the Republican-ic Party. It's not the Republican-in Party. It's the Republican Party. So I long ago did this. Minor little point. I knew it was gonna irritate 'em, and sure enough it has. It really has.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Let me mention this, get this one out of the way. This is what happened on NPR yesterday. Chris Cillizza, our old buddy at the Washington Post, was a guest, along with Norman Ornstein and Susan Davis from USA Today. A caller called in, Ann in Missouri, "I'm questioning the use of the term 'democratic' amongst your panelists as well as all across the news media. A person either belongs in the Democrat Party, the Republican Party, or some other party. But they don't belong in the 'Democratic' Party. Our country's a democracy and we should keep the word 'democratic' isolated from politics."

This what Cillizza said.

CILLIZZA: To me, getting fixated on things like this, this, to me, is a perfect example of why our politics -- and I would say this if this were the 'Republic' Party. This is not about bias. (gasps) This is a perfect example of why our politics are so incredibly small. People say, "I don't understand why they don't tackle the big ideas." Like, let's grow up!

ORNSTEIN: This is something that has rankled Democrats for a very long time because it's as if, uh, you have a large number of people -- and many Republican politicians do this, too -- who are just dissing their party.

RUSH: Yeah. Well, you wonder why it's small politics? The Democrats get all upset about it? If it's not that big a deal, ignore it. Diane Rehm was the host of the program, and she and Susan Davis of USA Today continued the discussion. This is where the name of your beloved host is invoked.

REHM: (haltingly) You know, it is interesting. I do listen to Rush Limbaugh quite frequently. Seems to me it kind of began there. Susan, am I wrong?

DAVIS: I think it is an offshoot of sort of Republican talk radio and that, actually, my understanding of the idea that you should call it the 'Democrat' Party was more not a matter of respect. It was more a matter of insult, that the root of them was sort of not giving them that credit.

RUSH: Was that Diane Rehm or Jill Abrams? (interruption) Diane...? (impression) "You know, it is interestiiiiiing. I do listen to Rushhhhh Limbowwww...and..." Oops out of time.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/09/npr_blames_me_for_popularizing_democrat_party
The libs blame me for something I willfully admit to doing :smuggo:

quote:

RUSH: Gary, Maricopa, Arizona. Great to have you, sir. Thank you for calling.

CALLER: Hi, Rush.

RUSH: Hey.

CALLER: I'm just calling to point out, you know, all the sensationalism about Ebola coming here and ISIS coming here. They have a long way to go to catch up with the thousands and thousands and thousands of Americans that illegal aliens have killed in this country and continue to do so every day.

RUSH: Now, now. Wait a second, now. Wait a minute. You're gonna have to back that up. Thousands and thousands and thousands.

CALLER: How many days go by where you don't hear about an illegal alien that has murdered an American?

RUSH: Well, I haven't heard about one today. Look, seriously, now. If you're gonna say that, back it up. It can't be... I mean, I know that there are illegal aliens committing murder.

CALLER: If you think of 10 years, if you think even of one every other day --

RUSH: Right.

CALLER: We know it's more than that.

RUSH: Even so, the answer to your question is, "Look at how many people die on the highways every day. It never gets reported. But let a plane crash happen. 'Oh, my God!'"

CALLER: Right. This is a problem that's not just the Republicans or the Democrats. It's both, and every amnesty preacher has the blood on their hands. I know Obama's done a lot to exacerbate the problem, but every politician that is pimping for amnesty increases the problem.

RUSH: Potentially, yes.

CALLER: So. (chuckles) I hear all the guff about Obama -- and yes, I really dislike the man severely -- but everybody that says amnesty is causing more of them to come here.

RUSH: Well, they are saying it isn't amnesty, and they are very specific when they tell you it's not amnesty. "Don't call it amnesty! Don't say it's amnesty!" Because they claim that it's not. What it is, is Democrat voter registration -- and however many years it takes for that to happen, that's the ultimate objective here on the Democrat side. On the Republican side, it's cheap labor, Chamber of Commerce.

They made no bones about it. I mean, I'm not even being pejorative. They make no bones about it. That's where the old, "Well, you know, there are jobs the American people won't do here, and we still need that work done, Dude!" Right. So those are the motivating forces. I don't think... If you look at polling data, the majority of the American people are opposed to amnesty. I don't think anybody's getting away with this here.

If they do it, it's gonna be against a very large majority who don't want it. They're governing against the will of the people. It's not that we've lost the issue with the public. You don't need to say, "Hey, you know, you're worried about ISIS and Ebola? You know how many illegals have committed murder over the years?" You don't need to convince anybody, because most of the people in this country are still law-abiding.

To them, it's simply a matter of law and order. It isn't racism. It's not bigotry. It's law and order. There are other factors involved, of course. But it's not complicated, why people oppose this. It has nothing to do with not liking people. It has nothing to do with not being compassionate. It has to do with the rule of law, which is the glue that holds the country together. The Constitution doesn't mean anything if people don't respect it.

The Constitution and law mean nothing if people won't obey it with the honor system. Yeah, you have to enforce it, and you have to punish lawbreakers and this kind of thing. We're not doing that! That's what's got people concerned. It really isn't any more complicated than that. The American people are not hard to understand. It's when you think that they're a bunch of rubes and idiots and hicks that you have a problem.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/09/opposition_to_amnesty_is_about_law_not_bigotry
I love this: There are other factors involved and they're definitely not racism or bigotry!!!!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

One thing about American evangelicals is that they're not only xenophobic as all hell but taught that from a very young age. I grew up around a lot of these people and was very frequently told that anybody that isn't Christian (and it had to be the right kind of Christian, mind you) was send by the devil to lure you away from The One True Path of Jesus Christ. They won't read fantasy stuff because any portrayal of magic is viewed as a threat in that it will tempt people into trying magic, which is evil because witches and Lucifer and Satan. C.S. Lewis is one of the few they'll tolerate because he converted from atheism to Christianity. The children in the Narnia books also don't practice magic themselves, they just kind of go on adventures where weird poo poo happens but not really all that much magic.

Anyway, like I was originally saying, American evangelicals deliberately separate themselves from the rest of the world as much as they can. There's a growing agrarian movement where they're buying land in the middle of nowhere to build farms and such or just live really, really far out and make long commutes. They often home school their children and deliberately shelter them from the outside world. They very commonly believe that the end times are really, really close and Jesus will come back any day now so they need to isolate themselves extra hard to keep up the faith. They're almost always varieties of Protestant that view every other sect and sometimes every single other church and congregation as heathen sinners that are Doing It Wrong. That I can't stress enough; I've met hardcore evangelicals that believe that only people that go to their church specifically go to Heaven.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tarezax posted:

One thing I've always wondered about these types is, how can you ever really be confident in your faith if you're too afraid to ever let it be tested? Like you said, there's great potential for personal and spiritual growth that they're running away from.

It's like deep down they don't believe, or are afraid they don't believe, and so anything that challenges their worldview is likely to blow it apart like so much dust.

For some likely yeah, but I am of the opinion that the way Evangelicals think and perceive the world is different on a very fundamental level. It is an entirely different language, and there is some scientific research that is starting to bear this out. The logic of that worldview is completely internally consistent. To ask "Well why don't they ever X" is to miss the point completely I think. You are inserting too much of your own thinking and how you would react in those circumstances. They never have that experience and almost never have those thoughts because they just aren't wired that way. In my view to really understand authoritarians/evangelicals you have to rebuild your entire concept of the world from the ground up. It is a worldview with a great deal of inbuilt fear of the other, a strong psychological need to belong, and a need for a conflict with an evil outgroup.

I am concerned about how this Ebola outbreak is going to play in wingnut circles. (If you haven;t been following the Ebola thread, please go do so now, shits bad.) Since it is almost certain we are going to see Ebola in the news for the next year at least and we will likely hit Million+ infected by the end of the year I think there is a genuine possibility of some of these groups deciding that this is it. The Four Horsemen are here, we are now in the final 7 years of the planet. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I cannot see a way that it will not eventually be perceived that way by a sizable portion of these groups. They are going to literally think the world is ending and that they are the loving Tribulation Force from the Left Behind books. They will act accordingly.

Before we go further I should mention that there has been a decades long raging debate as to whether the rapture occurs as the kickoff to the end times or at the halfway point of 3.5 years. Although Left Behind brought more awareness to the idea of an early rapture, it is still very hotly debated within the church. I can see it being entirely possible that they go "Whelp, looks like it is at the 3.5 year mark. Lets prepare for mass Christian persecution/try and convert whoever we can before we get beamed out".

Beyond whatever hilarious idiocy this would result in, there are some genuine concerns. If they believe it really is the Tribulation, the Evangelicals are going to dub whoever seems the most powerful in the world as the Antichrist, (Since Obama seems to be leading the charge against Ebola it will likely be him) and they will see it as their duty to resist. Much moreso than we have seen so far. Worse though is how they will react concerning the "Mark of the Beast". *ANYTHING* associated with the government is going to be suspect. You see, in this interpretation Christians are supposed to convert as many people as possible as quickly as possible, (while enduring massive persecution) but they will be tempted by the Mark of the Beast. To receive the mark is to drat yourself to hell. In fact, willingly receiving the mark is more or less the only way to drat yourself at that point. Whatever they decide is the Mark they would resist vigorously, as if not their life, but their eternal soul, depended on it.

When I was a kid, the Mark coming in the form of a vaccine was one of the scenarios that was discussed. This may not be a big deal here in America where there is very little chance we would need such a thing. But the Evangelical communities in Africa could very much reject (probably violently) any effort at a vaccination campaign as a result. America Evangelicals were able to get the "kill the gays" thing passed in Uganda. If enough American Evangelicals get it in their head that the Ebola vaccine is the mark I could honestly see entire countries rejecting the vaccine.

I hope on this one that I am just running with this all a bit too far. But if this Ebola outbreak had happened when I was a kid? Wouldn't have been a shred of doubt that it was now the Tribulation. We have two generations now fully raised believing they were going to witness the end times and be God's warriors. While the numbers of Evangelicals have decreased in absolute terms, much like Republicans and the Tea Party, the number and power of the extremists has increased dramatically over the past 15 years.

These people are dead loving serious about what they are saying in this video. This is not a joke to them. This is as true as the sky is blue and chocolate tastes good. They are here to be God's warriors, and they will see the Tribulation in their lifetime. We have at least two full grown generations of Evangelicals raised 100% in this environment. If they get it in their head that Ebola is the start of the Tribulation there is no telling what they might do, but it will make the Bundy Ranch showdown look like a downright friendly gathering of calm reasonable folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9l94Pp170A

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 11, 2014

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Prester John posted:

They are going to literally think the world is ending and that they are the loving Tribulation Force from the Left Left Behind books. They will act accordingly.

You mean by basically going along with whatever the liberal antichrists want them to do, while secretly disapproving fiercely?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr Christmas posted:

You mean by basically going along with whatever the liberal antichrists want them to do, while secretly disapproving fiercely?

This is also the kind of thing that gets Christians like me alternately laughing and crying at the people who believe this nonsense. Christ specifically says no one will see the end times coming and no one will foresee it in advance.

Then again, there's a whole lot of the Bible that these "Christians" don't read.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Then again, there's a whole lot of the Bible that these "Christians" don't read.

You have no idea how often I've met people that own a dozen Bibles but have never even opened a single one.

Actually, wait, you probably do have an idea and that idea is depressing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

This is also the kind of thing that gets Christians like me alternately laughing and crying at the people who believe this nonsense.

The rest of us feel like this about all of the bullshit Christians peddle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Prester John posted:

For some likely yeah, but I am of the opinion that the way Evangelicals think and perceive the world is different on a very fundamental level. It is an entirely different language, and there is some scientific research that is starting to bear this out. The logic of that worldview is completely internally consistent. To ask "Well why don't they ever X" is to miss the point completely I think. You are inserting too much of your own thinking and how you would react in those circumstances. They never have that experience and almost never have those thoughts because they just aren't wired that way. In my view to really understand authoritarians/evangelicals you have to rebuild your entire concept of the world from the ground up. It is a worldview with a great deal of inbuilt fear of the other, a strong psychological need to belong, and a need for a conflict with an evil outgroup.

I am concerned about how this Ebola outbreak is going to play in wingnut circles. (If you haven;t been following the Ebola thread, please go do so now, shits bad.) Since it is almost certain we are going to see Ebola in the news for the next year at least and we will likely hit Million+ infected by the end of the year I think there is a genuine possibility of some of these groups deciding that this is it. The Four Horsemen are here, we are now in the final 7 years of the planet. In fact, the more I reflect on it the more I cannot see a way that it will not eventually be perceived that way by a sizable portion of these groups. They are going to literally think the world is ending and that they are the loving Tribulation Force from the Left Behind books. They will act accordingly.

Before we go further I should mention that there has been a decades long raging debate as to whether the rapture occurs as the kickoff to the end times or at the halfway point of 3.5 years. Although Left Behind brought more awareness to the idea of an early rapture, it is still very hotly debated within the church. I can see it being entirely possible that they go "Whelp, looks like it is at the 3.5 year mark. Lets prepare for mass Christian persecution/try and convert whoever we can before we get beamed out".

Beyond whatever hilarious idiocy this would result in, there are some genuine concerns. If they believe it really is the Tribulation, the Evangelicals are going to dub whoever seems the most powerful in the world as the Antichrist, (Since Obama seems to be leading the charge against Ebola it will likely be him) and they will see it as their duty to resist. Much moreso than we have seen so far. Worse though is how they will react concerning the "Mark of the Beast". *ANYTHING* associated with the government is going to be suspect. You see, in this interpretation Christians are supposed to convert as many people as possible as quickly as possible, (while enduring massive persecution) but they will be tempted by the Mark of the Beast. To receive the mark is to drat yourself to hell. In fact, willingly receiving the mark is more or less the only way to drat yourself at that point. Whatever they decide is the Mark they would resist vigorously, as if not their life, but their eternal soul, depended on it.

When I was a kid, the Mark coming in the form of a vaccine was one of the scenarios that was discussed. This may not be a big deal here in America where there is very little chance we would need such a thing. But the Evangelical communities in Africa could very much reject (probably violently) any effort at a vaccination campaign as a result. America Evangelicals were able to get the "kill the gays" thing passed in Uganda. If enough American Evangelicals get it in their head that the Ebola vaccine is the mark I could honestly see entire countries rejecting the vaccine.

I hope on this one that I am just running with this all a bit too far. But if this Ebola outbreak had happened when I was a kid? Wouldn't have been a shred of doubt that it was now the Tribulation. We have two generations now fully raised believing they were going to witness the end times and be God's warriors. While the numbers of Evangelicals have decreased in absolute terms, much like Republicans and the Tea Party, the number and power of the extremists has increased dramatically over the past 15 years.

These people are dead loving serious about what they are saying in this video. This is not a joke to them. This is as true as the sky is blue and chocolate tastes good. They are here to be God's warriors, and they will see the Tribulation in their lifetime. We have at least two full grown generations of Evangelicals raised 100% in this environment. If they get it in their head that Ebola is the start of the Tribulation there is no telling what they might do, but it will make the Bundy Ranch showdown look like a downright friendly gathering of calm reasonable folks.

Fair enough. I was raised without religion, so that kind of mindset is completely alien to me.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr Christmas posted:

No, Evangelicals are a completely different animal from Freepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kbe8KqjmGo

Edit: Oppression breeds fanaticism. Although we may all get a good chuckle out of the idea of Christians being an oppressed minority in this country, for people as deep in as these people are, the psychological impacts of that nonexistent oppression are still very real. To them watching another State go for Gay Marriage has the emotional impact of watching Hitler invade your country. (I have experienced this myself) There is a mixture of despair, fear, and above all rage. There is a shitload of pent up paranoia and rage inside alot of these people.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 11, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Actually, wait, you probably do have an idea and that idea is depressing.

I have no doubt that they open their Bibles. To the chapters their pastors tell them to on Sunday.

It's the same way you get "Muslim" extremists. I've read the Koran, and I'm pretty sure Mohammed would be as frustrated as Jesus at the way some very noisy people use their faiths to justify and rationalize what boils down to nothing more than xenophobia and small-minded obsession with the past and the way things are "supposed" to be. See also: the Pharisees.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Prester John posted:

I'm torn, normally I'd say you're just worried about nothing, but like was just mentioned I also know that you've experienced the worst of Evangelical extremism firsthand, and that you know exactly how those people tick.

If you end up being right, it would be terrifying and saddening, but also rather entertaining watching yet another "the Apocalypse is coming any day now guys, for real this time". After all, we had an Apocalypse in 2011 just like Harold Camping said, didn't we?:v:

Either way, I'm just glad you're out the Evangelical hell bubble, so you can watch from the sidelines rather than in the middle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fade5 posted:

I'm torn, normally I'd say you're just worried about nothing, but like was just mentioned I also know that you've experienced the worst of Evangelical extremism firsthand, and that you know exactly how those people tick.

If you end up being right, it would be terrifying and saddening, but also rather entertaining watching yet another "the Apocalypse is coming any day now guys, for real this time". After all, we had an Apocalypse in 2011 just like Harold Camping said, didn't we?:v:

Either way, I'm just glad you're out the Evangelical hell bubble, so you can watch from the sidelines rather than in the middle.

My two cents' worth: these people are reacting to a world they do not understand, a world so large that they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, by turning inwards and rejecting the world. They adopt paranoia, a view of the world that they specifically and personally are being singled out for prosecution because in a way it's a comforting thought. If the world has it out for you, you specifically, you therefore matter. These people see the world changing in ways that they don't understand or like and have found a lens through which it is paradoxically comforting in its horror and evil. I say this as a Christian myself: hatred and fear are easier to grasp and in some ways more comforting than accepting that the world really doesn't care about you or your beliefs and that everything you hope and dream and fear is ultimately irrelevant outside the people you personally know.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Prester John posted:

No, Evangelicals are a completely different animal from Freepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kbe8KqjmGo

Edit: Oppression breeds fanaticism. Although we may all get a good chuckle out of the idea of Christians being an oppressed minority in this country, for people as deep in as these people are, the psychological impacts of that nonexistent oppression are still very real. To them watching another State go for Gay Marriage has the emotional impact of watching Hitler invade your country. (I have experienced this myself) There is a mixture of despair, fear, and above all rage. There is a shitload of pent up paranoia and rage inside alot of these people.

Have you read the Left Behind books (or Slacktivist's takedown of them)? I was talking about the characters in the Left Behind books.

One of the characters ends up becoming the Antichrist's personal pilot, and he does precisely dick to stop the Antichrist except grumble at him in his head and sometimes act kind of bitchy, even while the he's ordering nuclear strikes all over the world.

That's all nothing compared to the other main character is a news reporter who stumbles upon murders that cement the future Antichrist's power, and is even in the room, protected by God, when the Antichrist he supernaturally murders his last rivals and alters the other witnesses' memories, and reports none of it. He becomes head of the Antichrist's propaganda empire, and again he does nothing to subvert it except be kind of bitchy to people who don't believe the Antichrist is the Antichrist sometimes.

The Tribulation Force meets in a church basement and shares the info they glean with no one else. Not to the hundreds of other scared, desperate people flocking to the church, not to warn people to get out of cities about to be nuked, no one.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 11, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

These are the same people that demanded that all rock'n'roll music be banned and forbidden from being created forever because they thought the devil was hiding backwards hidden messages in it and even if he wasn't better to be safe than sorry.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fade5 posted:

Me two. Its actually really fascinating being able to perch on the sidelines now. Hopefully I'm wrong here, or at least hopefully this never turns violent. I suppose distilled down though there are really two things that have me kind of staring at wingnut media lately.

1.)The various wingnut groups used to have constant infights. The UFO guys hated the Occultists who hated the Conspiracy Theorists and Evangelicals hated all of them. (To mention but a few) Lately though it seems like these disparate groups are condensing and starting to adopt a singular narrative whereby they are all technically correct.

2.) When you live ina bubble where everyone agrees with you that you should be terrified and enraged, you feel desperate. Eventually you will latch onto anything that seems to offer even the slightest glimmer of either hope or at least the chance to go down swinging. As research quite strongly demonstrates Right Wing Authoritarians are as a whole, far more prone to group think and abuse of outgroups. They could latch onto really any weird idea that will seem completely nonsensical to anyone not in their bubble and just run with it.

The Bundy Ranch is a great example of this. Several hundred people attempted to bait the federal government into massacring them so they could be the first martyrs of the 2nd American Revolution. And they did it in the name of........a couple hundred head of cattle. From the outside it seems just bizarelly irrational, and to be sure it is. But to these people it was an outlet, a way to finally fight back after feeling so disempowered and oppressed. They just latched on to the first thing that offered them a way to feel like they were fighting back.

One furhter commentary on the Bundy Ranch as an example of what happens when the various wingnut groups start agreeing on a single narrative. The whole Cliven Bundy thing was originally an Infowars special report. From there Drudge posted a link to the story, as it exploded online Fox News started talking about it as well. Everyone agreed that somehow this was a clear case of government tyranny. And then boom, bizarre loving group behavior.

Edit:

Dr Christmas posted:

Have you read the Left Behind books (or Slacktivist's takedown of them)? I was talking about the characters in the Left Behind books.

My bad, I didn't catch that. I've never actually read the books myself and I never actually sat through the movies.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 11, 2014

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

At Bundy ranch they quickly devolved into infighting. As you mentioned, some if the cults literally believe that only their personal congregation is right and they are absolutely intolerant of the other.

Each one of these groups has a leader who is enjoying playing god for his terrified flock. There is no motivation for these people to coordinate or let their flock rock the gravy train.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment for their capacity for violence. Right wing extremism is where our nasty domestic terrorism comes from (left wing extremists target property, not people, and are much rarer). I'm just disagreeing with the scale. Like comic book villains I see infighting and internal distrust preventing any large scale action.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is there anyone still at the Bundy Ranch who isn't an undercover FBI agent at this point?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
My take is the infighting only occurred once they had already won the day. Authoritarians are very good at setting aside their differences so long as they have an enemy in front of them. Once they don't have that threat is when they turn to petty squabbling and infighting. I'm not saying they could sustain large scale action, but I am saying they might at some point give it a try.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is there anyone still at the Bundy Ranch who isn't an undercover FBI agent at this point?

well, I'm there, but those guys just aren't as much fun as my old drinking buddies, or bundies as we called ourselfs

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Prester John posted:

My take is the infighting only occurred once they had already won the day. Authoritarians are very good at setting aside their differences so long as they have an enemy in front of them. Once they don't have that threat is when they turn to petty squabbling and infighting. I'm not saying they could sustain large scale action, but I am saying they might at some point give it a try.

If they don't have an enemy they make one. Sometimes the only convenient person is the one standing next to them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Prester John posted:

This kind of stuff scares the poo poo out of me. and whats worse is i am seeing alot of right wing pundits blaming the ebola on obama or saying obama is gonna bring ebola over here to take our guns/rights/install sharia. It makes me worried that some of these groups might try to become like the taliban or something. stupid i know.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
You know, I'm surprised.

The Nobel Peace Prize is given to a Marxist and I haven't heard a peep about it from RWR.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McAlister posted:

At Bundy ranch they quickly devolved into infighting. As you mentioned, some if the cults literally believe that only their personal congregation is right and they are absolutely intolerant of the other.

Each one of these groups has a leader who is enjoying playing god for his terrified flock. There is no motivation for these people to coordinate or let their flock rock the gravy train.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment for their capacity for violence. Right wing extremism is where our nasty domestic terrorism comes from (left wing extremists target property, not people, and are much rarer). I'm just disagreeing with the scale. Like comic book villains I see infighting and internal distrust preventing any large scale action.

"I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said, "Baptist!" I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?" He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?" He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You know, I'm surprised.

The Nobel Peace Prize is given to a Marxist and I haven't heard a peep about it from RWR.

I think you'll find they already did that in 2009 :smug:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You know, I'm surprised.

They are just waiting for Rush to get the first few kicks in to make it OK to go full on an adolescent girl. As soon as any of the alpha-hyenas go for it, the rest of the pack will be there to crack the bones. The thing that will be exciting is that once Rush breaks the seal, everybody else will have to turn it up to 11.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Here's the bigger issue: everything is designed not to grow anyone spiritually, but to simply be "family friendly". O'Connor and Dostoevsky can't be read by five-year-olds? That's not the kind of Christianity that conservative evangelicals want any part of, because it's not simple, childish, and centered around making oneself feel special and persecuted.

As Grantland's Rembert Browne wrote about Lecrae (a rapper who is Christian, but isn't a Christian rapper officially):

quote:

Lecrae doesn’t think it is. In an interview with “The Exchange,” a program of conversations with Christian leaders, he stated, “I am a Christian. I am a Rapper. But Christian is my faith not my genre.”

He went on, echoing a similar sentiment to Kanye, saying, “It’s going to sound weird, but I’m not religious. I don’t like religiosity. I would research all kinds of organized religions, but God just felt like this tyrant: ‘Do this. Do that. Don’t do this. Don’t do that.’”

Unfortunately, for Lecrae, he only has so much control over the way he’s categorized. And because of that, the answer is still, yes he is a Christian rapper. Because with Christian music, there seems to be a one-drop rule. As in, if there’s one drop of vice — of unfavorable content — regardless of the representation of Christianity’s positive tenets, it ultimately becomes secular music. Lecrae’s status as a Christian rapper hinges on the fact that he never becomes a bad Christian, lyrically.

If everything isn't absolutely squeaky clean for young kids, then it isn't Christian in the eyes of conservative evangelicals. Doesn't matter if there's a good reason for imperfection.

Tarezax posted:

They are spiritual and emotional children. If you grow in your faith, you can handle anything. If you refuse to grow, if you fill yourself with nothing, you get no true faith in return.

Conservative evangelicalism is just as much of a consumerist mindset as it is religious. The goal isn't to grow yourself spiritually, the goal is to have a wife and kids, and to surround yourself with as many of the totems as possible - whether it's decorative Bibles or crosses, children's media, home schooled kids, Christian books, whatever. It has nothing to with growth, it's all about just buying more and more. Truly the most American and least Christian of actually supposed Christianity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Slo-Tek posted:

They are just waiting for Rush to get the first few kicks in to make it OK to go full on an adolescent girl. As soon as any of the alpha-hyenas go for it, the rest of the pack will be there to crack the bones. The thing that will be exciting is that once Rush breaks the seal, everybody else will have to turn it up to 11.

Basically, yea. The right, on the whole, is smart enough to wait for their normal attack dogs to start doing the cartoonishly evil stances like 'gently caress that young girl who was shot in the head, THE FUCKIN BROWN COMMIE', that way when their echochamber stations bring the 'moderates' on to go 'boy some liberals sure are mad at Rush being brave' they can go 'well obviously I don't think he should have gone that far BUT SHE IS A FUCKIN BROWN COMMIE GUYS IT'S WORTH SAYING'.

The best part, yea, will be when his remoras like Levin and Brietbart's still alive crew use him as the baseline to EXPAND from to desperately get their five minutes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think that if they comment, they'll ignore anything the girls actually say or believe, and then use the girls to attack American feminists. "While these girls are risking their lives, Sandra Fluke is whining about how taxpayers aren't subsidizing her sex addiction."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically, yea. The right, on the whole, is smart enough to wait for their normal attack dogs to start doing the cartoonishly evil stances like 'gently caress that young girl who was shot in the head, THE FUCKIN BROWN COMMIE', that way when their echochamber stations bring the 'moderates' on to go 'boy some liberals sure are mad at Rush being brave' they can go 'well obviously I don't think he should have gone that far BUT SHE IS A FUCKIN BROWN COMMIE GUYS IT'S WORTH SAYING'.

The best part, yea, will be when his remoras like Levin and Brietbart's still alive crew use him as the baseline to EXPAND from to desperately get their five minutes.

And Ann Coulter will inevitably remark, "The only good commie is a dead commie. Just shows those ragheads can't shoot." :clint: