Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I use Dreamweaver as a bare ftp client because it's on my pc as part of the suite and I'm too lazy to replace it with something else, also I'm a caveman.

Respect yourself, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My company's CTO, one of the smartest developers I've ever encountered, uses it as his IDE. I kind of stopped hating on it after that (and the fact that I stopped caring about its product development about 10 years ago).

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Just don't WYSIWYG. It'll suck a lot at first, but you'll be a lot better for it in the long run.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

The Dave posted:

My company's CTO, one of the smartest developers I've ever encountered, uses it as his IDE.

:stare:

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Dreamweaver still has a code view so it's not like you have to use the WYSIWYG aspect of it. Plus it has built in FTP client. It's not totally far-fetched, just super expensive if that's all you're using it for.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I've got three users with a really weird problem where IE 11 is treating any mention of localStorage in a script as a syntax error and spitting out the message "an internal error occurred in the microsoft internet extensions". Googleing that turns up a lot of dead ends and some kind of scary fixes like downgrading IE or reinstalling WinSock stuff (really :confused: at that one). Has anyone here ever seen this before?

The only way I can think of to work around this is to move all mentions of localStorage off into a different file that creates a global object, but that's a silly thing to do just to work around a few users' broken browsers. This could all be caused by some stupid malware for all I know and I'd hate to have to jump through a bunch of silly hoops for some loving IE malware.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
did you see this stackoverflow?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21155137/javascript-localstorage-object-broken-in-ie11-on-windows-7

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That sounds like a completely different problem*, but I'll pass it along and see if it fixes anything.

* To elaborate, if I try to reference localStorage at all, script evaluation aborts. I can't even do if (localStorage) {. Hmm, now I wonder if window['localStorage'] works...

E: nope! Same behavior

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13392872/why-does-accessing-the-localstorage-object-in-internet-explorer-throw-an-error

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That's interesting, but our domain doesn't contain any of those reserved words. Also I think he gets a different error but isn't very clear about that.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I think Atom (https://www.atom.io) in the 6-12 months will probably become one of, if not THE defacto code/text editors for web development (and maybe more). Get on board now people.

I use and love Sublime Text every single day of my life. But I think Atom is going to be huge.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

substitute posted:

I think Atom (https://www.atom.io) in the 6-12 months will probably become one of, if not THE defacto code/text editors for web development (and maybe more). Get on board now people.

I use and love Sublime Text every single day of my life. But I think Atom is going to be huge.

Why?

(Honest question, I'm curious what makes it compelling.)

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

substitute posted:

I tried it for a day last week and it crashed on me three times. I want to like it but sublime is just faster, more stable, and has a better package community right now.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Chenghiz posted:

I tried it for a day last week and it crashed on me three times. I want to like it but sublime is just faster, more stable, and has a better package community right now.

It will probably win out in the end just because of the sheer brand power github has. There's a reason they can just get away with cloning the entire interface of sublime and nobody really cares. Their vim mode is terrible though, so I'm sticking with vim.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ambushsabre posted:

It will probably win out in the end just because of the sheer brand power github has. There's a reason they can just get away with cloning the entire interface of sublime and nobody really cares. Their vim mode is terrible though, so I'm sticking with vim.

Yep. I love vim. I certainly don't see people who haven't gone up the learning cliff understanding, but unless an editor / IDE has a vim mode that fully implements vim, I don't want it.

Every time I've tried an editor that people say has a great vim mode, I have been really disappointed: even the most basic things don't work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lumpy posted:

Yep. I love vim. I certainly don't see people who haven't gone up the learning cliff understanding, but unless an editor / IDE has a vim mode that fully implements vim, I don't want it.

Every time I've tried an editor that people say has a great vim mode, I have been really disappointed: even the most basic things don't work.

I used vim exclusively for years.

I'm glad I moved on! :colbert:

I can certainly see why someone wouldn't want to though. It's a lot of work to learn it, and then a lot more work to learn something else and make it do everything you want it to.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Why'd you switch away from vim Thermopyle? What do you use now?

Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to a fancy IDE, but like Lumpy I could never use anything without a vim mode. Any time I have to edit text outside of vim I end up with jjjjkkkkkllllllhhhhhh all over the place.

But now that I'm on Windows again I'm willing to give sublime etc. a shot.

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I still use vim whenever I'm remoting into a server, but JetBrains' IDEs have won me over.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Atom seems okay, but the scrolling is chunky and jumpy on my system. Can it be configured to collapse methods (like Jetbrains stuff can)?

Edit: I think I will pass. Doesn't look like it does Java code generation like IntelliJ, and I don't see a reason to replace Sublime Text for JS/HTML/CSS.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

Why'd you switch away from vim Thermopyle? What do you use now?

Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to a fancy IDE, but like Lumpy I could never use anything without a vim mode. Any time I have to edit text outside of vim I end up with jjjjkkkkkllllllhhhhhh all over the place.

But now that I'm on Windows again I'm willing to give sublime etc. a shot.

I'm always just wanting to try something new, that's all.

I had the same jjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk problem, but it didn't take me long to break that habit.

I've went through several editors since then, but nowadays I'm using PyCharm. If you're only doing web stuff, its equivalent would be WebStorm.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I love PyCharm, started using it for Django and as it has all the features of WebStorm built into it, just used it for web stuff as well. The only bad part is the typescript inspector, holy poo poo does it suck. With it turned on I get 10-20 second lockups constantly. That's more a problem with typescript inspection being slow as poo poo anyway though.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Atom seems okay, but the scrolling is chunky and jumpy on my system. Can it be configured to collapse methods (like Jetbrains stuff can)?

Edit: I think I will pass. Doesn't look like it does Java code generation like IntelliJ, and I don't see a reason to replace Sublime Text for JS/HTML/CSS.
Yeah, every single time I find something to "replace" SublimeText I just wind up frustrated that the only thing Sublime doesn't have is a one-click "run code" button; it's just an amazing editor, and I use method collapses/tab shortcuts all. the. loving. time. Atom looks kinda nice, but not nice enough to make me want to switch. One day I might fork out money for WebStorm, or maybe finally make the switch over to NetBeans that I've been considering since forever, but honestly, I doubt it.

e: gently caress, I forgot I had Package Control installed. Cool, my Sublime now has ctrl+shift+c "view in chrome" functionality.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 11, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Whalley posted:

Yeah, every single time I find something to "replace" SublimeText I just wind up frustrated that the only thing Sublime doesn't have is a one-click "run code" button; it's just an amazing editor, and I use method collapses/tab shortcuts all. the. loving. time. Atom looks kinda nice, but not nice enough to make me want to switch. One day I might fork out money for WebStorm, or maybe finally make the switch over to NetBeans that I've been considering since forever, but honestly, I doubt it.

e: gently caress, I forgot I had Package Control installed. Cool, my Sublime now has ctrl+shift+c "view in chrome" functionality.

I don't think they have a Community Edition of WebStorm, but they do for PyCharm...which is mostly a superset of WebStorm. The Community Edition is free.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I must not have been properly caffeinated - Atom can collapse just the same as Sublime Text can. You just have to hover near the line numbers.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think they have a Community Edition of WebStorm, but they do for PyCharm...which is mostly a superset of WebStorm. The Community Edition is free.

http://www.jetbrains.com/student/

They offer all IDEs to students now for free as well

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looking for some advice on a potential project. I am an experienced software developer, having worked doing C/C++ and asm development on embedded devices for years. I recently switched careers to become a teacher, and the quality of the applications we are being forced to use in order to prepare kids for a particular type of standardized test is appalling. I would like to make something better. I know little to nothing about web development though. I am looking for advice as to what technologies I should learn in order to make this idea happen.

I want to make a browser-based testing application to help prepare kids for a standardized test. For platforms, it needs to work on PC/OSX computers using Chrome, and on Chomebooks using Chrome.

I need to generate 50 questions from a template. I expect the answers for the questions to fall into these categories
1) Multiple choice, answered via radio button.
2) Fill-in-the-blank, answered via text field
3) Drag and drop. I need the students to be able to drag objects from a bank into the appropriate place
4) Click the appropriate spot(s). For example, I might show the students a graph, and ask them to click the location of the roots.
5) From a bank, click multiple answers to select or deselect them.

I would want to record the results, and archive them for further use. Perhaps the generation of new test sets that focus solely on the types of questions a student missed. I am reasonably familiar with SQL, which is one technology I know which might be useful here. I would also like to be able to generate reports which I could have emailed.

As an example for the type of thing I am talking about could be seen here, with pearson's testnav.
https://vastatic.testnav.com/vatrngqc/testnav-7.5.22.31/epatLogin.jsp?testnavTestId=EOC122&testnavFormId=Practice%20Test

Like I said, I am an experienced programmer, and am sure I can figure out how to do all of the backend stuff once I know what sort of technologies I should be using. I just don't know if I should be looking into flash, html5, or something else. I don't want to pick one only to later learn that another would have made it five times easier. Professional appearance and ease/speed of getting it done are more important than cost of any tools or sdks.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I personally would look into picking up Rails for the backend functionality, I'm sure people would just as easily recommend their preferred language like Python or PHP too though. Rails has great stuffs like Devise for instant ready to go authentication, works super duper with sqlite or mySQL or really any DB solution.

For the frontend you will need HTML, Javascript and possibly a framework like jQuery or even React if you wanna be hip, then CSS for styling. Look into a CSS framework like Bootstrap, and HTML5 boilerplate for good starting points. You could use Grunt or Gulp for taskrunning (things like minify CSS, livereload, combine JS files) and a CSS preprocessor like SASS/LESS which extends CSS to use things like variables and mixins.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 12, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Looking for some advice on a potential project.
That is certainly an ambitious feature set for your first web application... First I will just try to hit the bullet points:
- Radio buttons and text inputs are native HTML elements, you can set/get their contents with javascript.
- Drag and drop can be done with HTML5 and a bit of javascript, see here for one example.
- Graph is also going to be all javascript. There are loads of popular javascript graphing packages but here is one I have used and like, though it may not match well with your application.
- "From a bank, click multiple answers" sounds like you may want something like this, which I have used and works great.
- Recording results, saving to server: that's done with (you guessed it) more javascript. You probably want the $.ajax method from jQuery, but you can also accomplish the same thing with a good old form post though it will result in a full page reload.
- Don't try to host and send your own email, it's a nightmare. Use hosted email like Mailgun (there's a buttload others too).

Web applications at the moment are mostly about Javascript IMHO. The back-end basically is a very thin layer over the database. So, you might have an architecture something like this:

Method, URL, result
GET /questions/ returns all questions
GET /questions/1 returns a particular question
POST /questions/1/ submits answer for a questions
GET /answer/1/ returns answer to a question
GET /scores/ returns all test scores
GET /scores/1/ returns an individual test score

You might be thinking "I do not want to have like 50 requests on one page, that'll kill performance!" But you have to remember, $.ajax is asynchronous so all requests can be done simultaneously.

The mistake I made (architecturally speaking) when I was first getting started was that I tried to ignore the importance of javascript, and just have the back-end render everything and "do" everything. That's going to result in a page that loads slow and has a bunch of full-page reloads. Just have the back-end encode/decode JSON, select/insert into the DB, and the front-end can be all javascript. Also, serve your pages with Apache or Nginx, don't have your back-end application serving files.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 12, 2014

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, thin back end is the way to go these days. For better or worse, JavaScript is now the view layer for modern web applications. This is great because it really enforces proper separation of concerns. This can be bad however because like it or lump it, you will need to get to know JavaScript or a compile down variant pretty well, along with a front end framework like Angular, React, Ember, etc.

This means you will have a few new technologies to get up to speed with all at once. You may be well served by trying to isolate tasks by technology, so sort out your back end API first without worrying about your front end, just so you're not constantly switching between tech you're not familiar with.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I appreciate the advice gentlemen. It gives me somewhere to start. Now comes the task of actually finding enough time to learn about those things while still keeping up with teaching.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
A little CSS trouble. http://jsfiddle.net/D2RLR/7050/

I'm working from this article and my goal is to have a triangle above the table of blocks which is as wide as the table of blocks and points up, and a triangle on the left of the table of blocks which is as high as the table of blocks and points left. The problem is that the hidden element's width is being understood and accommodated by the <td>s which contain them, when it's really only the lower-right table block which should be 'defining' the height and width of the elements.

Would I get better results here if I partitioned this into bootstrap rows/columns vs the table structure?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Ephphatha posted:

A while back I found a website which offered a RESTful API that would send certain error responses for various calls. I didn't save a bookmark unfortunately and I need to have a few calls fail to check some fallback code in an app I'm working on. Don't suppose anyone remembers what it is or has any other ideas for what I could use?

Found it, if anyone else is looking for something like this it's BadAPI.net.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ephphatha posted:

Found it, if anyone else is looking for something like this it's BadAPI.net.

More like badcolorscheme, my eyes are loving bleeding.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Holy poo poo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got put in a group for a project in class. Amazingly, the professor assigned the only one in the group who had any amount of web development experience the role of Project Manager, so she can't do the web stuff (although she's willing to help me), so I'm doing that part of the project. Since I don't have time (or really the will) to really learn HTML/CSS/whatever else, I'd like to use a WYSIWYG editor. I need to have the ability to host it on the school's server, as opposed to some company's, and I need to be able to password-protect some portions of the website. My wife had used weebly to make a website for her elementary classroom, but it turns out you can't password-protect any of the site without springing for the pro account. What other sites/tools should I be looking at?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

hooah posted:

I just got put in a group for a project in class. Amazingly, the professor assigned the only one in the group who had any amount of web development experience the role of Project Manager, so she can't do the web stuff (although she's willing to help me), so I'm doing that part of the project. Since I don't have time (or really the will) to really learn HTML/CSS/whatever else, I'd like to use a WYSIWYG editor. I need to have the ability to host it on the school's server, as opposed to some company's, and I need to be able to password-protect some portions of the website. My wife had used weebly to make a website for her elementary classroom, but it turns out you can't password-protect any of the site without springing for the pro account. What other sites/tools should I be looking at?

You can't do password protection without some sort of server-side code. Any idea what the schools server is running in the background?

Also what kind of retarded class is this where the professor can randomly hamstring someone into a project manager role and forbid them from helping?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

NtotheTC posted:

You can't do password protection without some sort of server-side code. Any idea what the schools server is running in the background?

Also what kind of retarded class is this where the professor can randomly hamstring someone into a project manager role and forbid them from helping?

I don't know what the school's server is running, but I know that professors at least can set usernames/passwords for their own classes or just authenticate using the computer science login info.

It's not that the PM student can't help, it's just that that student is supposed to be primarily managing, not doing some other function.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

pokeyman posted:

Why?

(Honest question, I'm curious what makes it compelling.)

It's the super easy package/theme manager that grabbed me. You can get up and running, and being productive very quickly. And people need point-and-click.

Again, I love Sublime Text and I've been using it since early 2013. But I had to force myself to stay with it in the beginning for various reasons. Atom is not polished enough for me (on Windows 7) to completely switch yet, but I think everyone should pay attention, install and play around with it, especially the plugins/packages manager.

And it's free, open source, backed by Github and could get so popular it becomes a cross-platform standard, of sorts. Think Chrome's dev tools, for anyone in web development. (I use Firefox :smuggo:)

(Also, I'm not a shill)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

substitute posted:

(Also, I'm not a shill)

That's just what a shill would say!

Atom definitely seems interesting, and once it's vim support is less than terrible, I will give it a whirl. Until then, I'll keep pointing and clicking in MacVim. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
What's the best place to post some javascript and get a critique of my code?
I'm trying to get better and desperately need a code review.