Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anyone else feel like the season 2 premiere of Avengers Assemble was a decent step in the right direction? The pacing was much improved, the animation was more consistent, the dialog was more banter like and less stiff, and they even kind of had a minor subplot addressing the whole "Tony literally calls the shots" thing. There was no end of the day moral lesson about trust or teamwork, and the story opened a new plot thread without completely resolving everything at the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched the first episode of AA and completely ignored the rest of the season. If it's gotten better, that's cool. I can see that they're bringing in Thanos this season so I am honor-bound to at least check it out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was watching Spectacular Spider-Man the other night and during the episode where Mysterio attacks the bridge, these two guys try to make a stand against Mysterio's dragon. I'm positive they're the "you mess with one of us you mess with all of us" guys from the first movie.

Edit: poo poo, sorry. Posting from the AwfulApp which I guess automatically resizes pics to the the width of my phone.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 9, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Um... maybe resize for those of us with monitors smaller than your TV?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

Was watching Spectacular Spider-Man the other night and during the episode where Mysterio attacks the bridge, these two guys try to make a stand against Mysterio's dragon. I'm positive they're the "you mess with one of us you mess with all of us" guys from the first movie.

Hahahaha they totally are

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Avengers delivered another fairly decent episode... It's almost disturbing.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009
If everyone is noticing the quality of the Marvel cartoons are getting better, it's because of Stephen Wacker. He was a long time comic book editor working on Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hawkeye, and even Grant Morrison's JLA. He became VP of Marvel Animation just in time to work on Avengers season 2 and Spidey season 3. I think he mentioned season 2 of Hulk was already in production when he came in, so don't expect much from that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ToastyPotato posted:

Avengers delivered another fairly decent episode... It's almost disturbing.

Wacker is in charge of animation now and said he wants to improve Avengers and is bringing in more elements like continuing storylines that Loeb pushed against

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

USM Season 3, while not amazing (haha...pun), isn't really the worst, I must admit.

It's much more watchable and less craptastic. You don't even see any of "the team" for the Spider-Verse episodes which is pretty nice. There seemed to be less cutaway gags too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dacap posted:

Wacker is in charge of animation now and said he wants to improve Avengers and is bringing in more elements like continuing storylines that Loeb pushed against

Is there anything in season one needed to be seen to keep up with season 2?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kingtheninja posted:

Nope, Season 2 is even set up so that if your only familiarity is with the movies you're pretty ok. Like Red Skull got sent into space at the end of Captain America and now he's back and afraid of Thanos who has followed him to Earth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Lego Batman from the Lego Movie gets a spinoff movie

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dacap posted:

Furthering down on it, they just announced a GotG cartoon and Wacker says
“not to underestimate the audience. You can’t be afraid to go deeper, to explore stories and characters with some depth. This audience may be young, but it can spot a stinker a mile away.”
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56184

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DARKNESS

BROODING

GOOD IDEA

I'M EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Nope. This is all you need to know:

Red Skull put together a team of villains called the Cabal. It was Skull, Atuma, Dracula, and MODOK. Maybe someone else, I honestly can't be bothered to remember. That robot thing that was also MODOK I guess? They constantly quarreled with each other and tried to fight the Avengers. None of what they did or tried to do matters in the current story line.

Falcon is the newest recruit, is a tech genius type, and is fairly young compared to the rest of the team. None of the tiny bit of character development he had in season 1 matters. The overall theme of the entire first season was The Avengers learning to be a real team by basically making the same mistakes (not trusting each other, not listening to each other) over and over, while juxtaposing them with the Cabal.

The current season of USM is not really any different than the previous stuff they did. At least that is how I feel after 8 episodes. I haven't seen any episodes with any other actual Spider-people yet though.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Furthering down on it, they just announced a GotG cartoon and Wacker says
“not to underestimate the audience. You can’t be afraid to go deeper, to explore stories and characters with some depth. This audience may be young, but it can spot a stinker a mile away.”
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56184

This is promising. I guess USM is just way too far gone at this point to be walked back.

This just got posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAU6jF0qwY

Finally ditching the generic style of USM/Avengers/Smash.

But I guess the multiple appearances of GotG in those shows are being forgotten? Wasn't Quill super serious in them?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 10, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

That art style reminds me of Archer. Neat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Movie-verse StarLord is basically Sterling Archer anyway.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Haha, glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Gamora. Gamora. Gamora. GAMORRRRA!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

"Gamora. Gamora. Gamora. GAMORRRRA!"

"WHAT?"

"I'm hooked on a feeling, Gamora"

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
...Disney REALLY has a crossover between Ultimate Spiderman and the live action Disney show Jessie?

...I.. wha?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PicklePants posted:

...Disney REALLY has a crossover between Ultimate Spiderman and the live action Disney show Jessie?

...I.. wha?

It's nothing new.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/682/guiding_light_comes_to_comics

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I just saw Son of Batman for the first time... Wow. Like every scene without Alfred and/or Dick was godawful. Who listened to Jason O'Mara's audition and though "Yeah, this guy, this is our Batman."

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 13, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chaltab posted:

I just saw Son of Batman for the first time... Wow. Like every scene without Alfred and/or Dick was godawful. Who listened to Jason O'Mara's audition and though "Yeah, this guy, this is our Batman."

The list of things they did right in Son of Batman is pretty drat short.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I was more appalled at the visual quality. The writing was awful too though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ToastyPotato posted:

I was more appalled at the visual quality.
No joke. I thought I was watching The Legend of Korra by mistake at first. Like, an episode farmed out to a lesser studio at that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Thank you. I was trying to tell someone about this a couple weeks ago and could not find the name of the soap opera.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Fine, as long as it's done in the same style. I don't like most Lego movies where the characters have flexible limbs. I love the rigid approach The Lego Movie took.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The list of things they did right in Son of Batman is pretty drat short.

Chaltab posted:

But remember people "DC does animated movies better than Marvel."

Seriously it's been like two years since they put out anything 100% worthwhile and even then that's only if you like straight adaptations of their more famous Batman stories, which I don't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And it's still better than Marvel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

True, but the reputation of DC Animated has gone down so far that now "better than awful" is the only good thing you can really say about it.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

hiddenriverninja posted:

Dead on. I'm really pumped for this. That cityscape looked gorgeous.

I was hoping that would be Pratt as Star-Lord, though. Heck, just get Archer's own Adam Reed to voice him so can watch Awesome-X on a screen again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mind the walrus posted:

True, but the reputation of DC Animated has gone down so far that now "better than awful" is the only good thing you can really say about it.

Not really, Assault on Arkham had a very positive reception and initial impressions about Throne of Atlantis are also good.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Not really, Assault on Arkham had a very positive reception and initial impressions about Throne of Atlantis are also good.

Assault on Arkham was awful though. Over the top stupidity and violence don't make a good movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sure they do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

See this happens every time. You get a weird echo chamber of people going "nuh-uh it was good" even though a few months after release the song among actual fans is always "underwhelming, disappointing, should have easily been better." This has been going on since JLU ended at least. How long does it have to happen before some of y'all finally admit that DC Animated just isn't what it used to be?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

See this happens every time. You get a weird echo chamber of people going "nuh-uh it was good" even though a few months after release the song among actual fans is always "underwhelming, disappointing, should have easily been better." This has been going on since JLU ended at least. How long does it have to happen before some of y'all finally admit that DC Animated just isn't what it used to be?

Actual fans are pretty terrible and nobody should listen to anything they say.

If nothing else because they describe themselves as "actual fans".

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Under the Red Hood was a good adaptation of the Jason Todd Returns story with good writing, character designs, and voice acting. That's all I can ask for. Too bad it's one of only a few good movies in that canon.

Assault on Arkham was loving AWFUL, but still better than All Star Superman, and Public Enemies, goddamn.

Fake edit: New Frontier was really good too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I liked Justice League: Doom or whichever one it was with all their weaknesses being exploited. That being said, the Hal Jordan part was dumb since it felt like they couldn't figure out a good part for him. I also liked the Batman/Superman one with Supergirl and Darkseid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the original story, he's made to blind himself with his ring.

• Locked thread