Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Gynovore posted:

The Avengers don't have a "No Mutants Allowed" sign on the clubhouse door. Hank, Wolvie and Storm were all members for a while.

Not sure if you're joking or not, question was about studio rights not Avenger member policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

They managed to argue the point with Fox that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are tied more heavily to the Avengers than the X-Men.

Also it looks like they might just be making them inhumans rather than mutants to skirt the issues in the MCU.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No, they've definitely stated that Wanda and Pietro are not Inhumans.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Well the first half of that is what is relevant. The second half looks like speculation, and got dragged along in the quote.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Scapegoat posted:

Not sure if you're joking or not, question was about studio rights not Avenger member policy.

Every post I've ever made is a joke. Including this one.

Seriously, though, are you saying that one studio has the rights to all Marvel mutants, regardless of the titles they have or haven't appeared in? That's just... odd.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Every post I've ever made is a joke. Including this one.

Seriously, though, are you saying that one studio has the rights to all Marvel mutants, regardless of the titles they have or haven't appeared in? That's just... odd.

I think it was Chris Claremont who recently said that Marvel forbids them from creating new characters in X-Men books, since that means only Fox can use them in movies.

Marvel also just announced a new Secret Wars storyline in the comics, and the X-Men along with the F4 and Peter Parker appear to be missing from the promo art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The MSJ posted:

I think it was Chris Claremont who recently said that Marvel forbids them from creating new characters in X-Men books, since that means only Fox can use them in movies.

Marvel also just announced a new Secret Wars storyline in the comics, and the X-Men along with the F4 and Peter Parker appear to be missing from the promo art.

I think they maybe just forbid him. Because Peter David and Brian Bendis have been making new characters in X-Factor and X-Men in the last few months. Claremont not being allowed to make anyone new is probably a good idea.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The movies are probably making a lot more money than the comics they are based on. (I have no clue about the size of the comic-book industry.)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tarquinn posted:

The movies are probably making a lot more money than the comics they are based on. (I have no clue about the size of the comic-book industry.)

No, you're right, it's real small. The amount of cash generated directly by sales of comics is very small, though you can't really say that comics don't make drive profits because of other factors (licensing).

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 10, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At the NYCC panel. Jeph Loeb confirmed Hydra.

E: also I saw the new episode and it's good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

What do you mean. Pretty sure Hydra's been confirmed since last season.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrAristocrates posted:

Like its confirmed loeb is a member or what? Context man, context.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No I mean like he was wearing a shirt that said Hydra

Oh forget it

They also showed a scene from Agent Carter that was just shot on Monday.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

XboxPants posted:

No, you're right, it's real small. The amount of cash generated directly by sales of comics is very small, though you can't really say that comics don't make drive profits because of other factors (licensing).

If you lump together physical comics and digital sales, do they still make a profit? Or are comics a loss leader designed to prop up movies, TV, video games and toys?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

I wonder what would happen if Tobias Fünke were exposed to the mists... would he be able to get his rocks off?

Barry Convex posted:

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

D... Dan Didio? Is that you?

Is... is SHIELD gone?

Gynovore posted:

The Avengers don't have a "No Mutants Allowed" sign on the clubhouse door. Hank, Wolvie and Storm were all members for a while.

Wolverine, Cannonball, and Sunspot are on the main Avengers team, Beast took over in the New Avengers/Illuminati for Xavier, and Havok, Rogue, and Sunfire are in the Uncanny Avengers, an Avengers/Xmen team, with Thor, Cap, Scarlet Witch and Wonder Man or whatever that guy's name is.

Lots of mutants in the Avengers comics. Probably more than I mentioned.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

I think they maybe just forbid him. Because Peter David and Brian Bendis have been making new characters in X-Factor and X-Men in the last few months. Claremont not being allowed to make anyone new is probably a good idea.

Everyone Claremont creates is literally from the 70's. Like, feel the groovy music, man!

HOPE YOU SURVIVE THE EXPERIENCE.

It's also worth pointing out that Big Hero 6 movie coming out doesn't have the Silver Samurai or Sunfire, two of the founding members of BH6 who are, coincidentally, mutants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of goofy how this week's episode had Dylan Minnette as a cold blooded (get it?) killer and during the commercial breaks they played ads for the kids movie he's in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deadpool posted:

But don't you see this is all a vast conspiracy by Disney to ruin an IP because Fox owns the movie rights!! MCU is the devil I say!!! :tinfoil:

MrAristocrates posted:

No I mean like he was wearing a shirt that said Hydra

Oh forget it

They also showed a scene from Agent Carter that was just shot on Monday.
Now we know why those Marvel cartoons sucked.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Scapegoat posted:

Rubbish, while they won't be introducing Blackbolt anytime soon they can lay the groundwork, have some mysterous characters, the big reveal with a movie then full steam ahead like they did with Hydra.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or instead of making pointless concrete declarations for no reason, we could be a bit more rational and guess that the group known as "The Inhumans" will not debut on the show, but the general "race" might in some capacity do so, even if they aren't named inhumans until after a movie does so. We've already had Kree named dropped and likely shown on the show months before Kree popped up in a movie.

Well, that leads to my other question: why do fans of SHIELD, the Inhumans, or the MCU in general think this would be a good idea, exactly? If Inhumans are introduced as a concept independently of Attilan or the classic Royal Family characters, wouldn't that only serve to dilute the significance of the latter when they're introduced? And on the SHIELD end of things, wouldn't it make for absolutely terrible storytelling to introduce a mysterious race of beings whose origins and motivations can't really be explained at all for at least another three years (since there's no room in Marvel's release slate for an Inhumans film until 2017)? The whole Skye 084 thing has already been dragged out enough since the reveal halfway through S1, frankly.*

It won't happen. I mean, I won't say it absolutely couldn't. But I really doubt it.

*lest someone misinterpret that: I don't mean that we don't yet know everything about her backstory; I mean that we've really gotten nothing at all since then except some incredibly cryptic teases, and nothing has actually happened onscreen to reflect the notion that she's anything but a genetically and biologically normal human being

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 11, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

Well, that leads to my other question: why do fans of SHIELD, the Inhumans, or the MCU in general think this would be a good idea, exactly? If Inhumans are introduced as a concept independently of Attilan or the classic Royal Family characters, wouldn't that only serve to dilute the significance of the latter when they're introduced? And on the SHIELD end of things, wouldn't it make for absolutely terrible storytelling to introduce a mysterious race of beings whose origins and motivations can't really be explained at all for at least another three years (since there's no room in Marvel's release slate for an Inhumans film until 2017)? The whole Skye 084 thing has already been dragged out enough since the reveal halfway through S1, frankly.*

It won't happen. I mean, I won't say it absolutely couldn't. But I really doubt it.

*lest someone misinterpret that: I don't mean that we don't yet know everything about her backstory; I mean that we've really gotten nothing at all since then except some incredibly cryptic teases, and nothing has actually happened onscreen to reflect the notion that she's anything but a genetically and biologically normal human being

I don't understand why you think the full reveal would have to happen this season. TV shows with mysteries are kind of built on the idea that it would take multiple seasons for the full mystery to be explained. There is more than enough time for the show to set up genetic tampering, experimentation by aliens, and all the backstory stuff involving inhumans without going very deep into it, and allowing a movie to properly introduce them at some point within the next couple of seasons or so.

Of course, there is a very realistic chance that this has nothing to do any alien race, but for now, things are definitely pointing toward that since Skye has shown no negative effect from receiving the alien transfusion so far and her dad seems to know about the seemingly alien artifact that seems to have Kree stuff on it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd rather they got to it this season than dick along with it forever and risk getting canceled before they wrap it up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Javid posted:

I'd rather they got to it this season than dick along with it forever and risk getting canceled before they wrap it up.

I think they will say she is Kree since that has already been fully introduced and anything else will be something shocking at the end of the season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Javid posted:

Oh I agree completely. I hate being dragged along, but if history is worth anything, they probably will drag things out, for many different reasons. I just hope that the show lasts long enough, in any form, to tell a relatively complete story.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok so I have a comic nerd question. Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider/Bruce Banner was bombarded with gamma rays and their DNA was altered. I assume this makes them mutants but I guess X-Men are capital letter Mutants because they were born that way, just like Lady Gaga? Is there an actual difference or is it just about who can stay in which clubhouse?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Ok so I have a comic nerd question. Spider-Man was bitten by a radioactive spider/Bruce Banner was bombarded with gamma rays and their DNA was altered. I assume this makes them mutants but I guess X-Men are capital letter Mutants because they were born that way, just like Lady Gaga? Is there an actual difference or is it just about who can stay in which clubhouse?

Mutants are born that way the others had things happen to them that caused powers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't understand why you think the full reveal would have to happen this season. TV shows with mysteries are kind of built on the idea that it would take multiple seasons for the full mystery to be explained. There is more than enough time for the show to set up genetic tampering, experimentation by aliens, and all the backstory stuff involving inhumans without going very deep into it, and allowing a movie to properly introduce them at some point within the next couple of seasons or so.

Given the need to avoid stepping on the toes of a future Inhumans movie, which would presumably go into their origins in much greater detail, how "not very deep" could the show go into those things while still offering more than cryptic teases that do little more in practice than remind audiences that the Big Serialized Mystery in question exists? It doesn't sound workable to me at all, sorry.

And for what it's worth, this is only speculation, but I'm like 75% sure that Skye's father is the MCU High Evolutionary, adapted here as a more traditional mad scientist archetype, and that he's familiar with the Kree through his past experiments rather than being of extraterrestrial origin himself. Now that's a direction that wouldn't overlap with the films too much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Given the need to avoid stepping on the toes of a future Inhumans movie, which would presumably go into their origins in much greater detail, how "not very deep" could the show go into those things while still offering more than cryptic teases that do little more in practice than remind audiences that the Big Serialized Mystery in question exists? It doesn't sound workable to me at all, sorry.

And for what it's worth, this is only speculation, but I'm like 75% sure that Skye's father is the MCU High Evolutionary, adapted here as a more traditional mad scientist archetype, and that he's familiar with the Kree through his past experiments rather than being of extraterrestrial origin himself. Now that's a direction that wouldn't overlap with the films too much.

That she is kree and has superpowers. The idea that she is inhuman does not need to be mentioned as they do not have a name for it yet.
In the comics the inhumans are introduced by having Madusa as a villain for a couple of issues then you meet more of them, and thats when you meet rest of the Inhuman royal family.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 11, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Barry Convex posted:

And on the SHIELD end of things, wouldn't it make for absolutely terrible storytelling to introduce a mysterious race of beings whose origins and motivations can't really be explained at all for at least another three years (since there's no room in Marvel's release slate for an Inhumans film until 2017)? The whole Skye 084 thing has already been dragged out enough since the reveal halfway through S1, frankly.*

Inhumans are we don't own the rights to mutants mutants not a separate race of beings with their own anything. The royal family can be thier own thing, with the entire hook of the movie being they show up and claim a giant chunk of superhumans as their subjects that must be gathered, protected and ruled.

They won't say what they are we'll probably just get is a quip about Skye's dad being an inhuman monster. "The things he did to those people were.... inhuman." That's one's free Agents of shield writers.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 11, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

For Marvel, mutants are considered anyone born with an X-gene.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Inhumans are we don't own the rights to mutants mutants not a separate race of beings with their own anything.

If the writers feel comfortable introducing a character like Absorbing Man without any explanation whatsoever of his origins, and can't touch Attilan or the classic characters, why exactly would they need or want Terrigenesis as a catch-all explanation for superpowers in the first place?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

If the writers feel comfortable introducing a character like Absorbing Man without any explanation whatsoever of his origins, and can't touch Attilan or the classic characters, why exactly would they need or want Terrigenesis as a catch-all explanation for superpowers in the first place?

Absorbing Man is related to Loki and Asgard. Marvel is also considering an Inhuman movie so I thought they could use the characters.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Barry Convex posted:

They didn't explain his origin in his first appearance where he grabbed what is probably an inhuman magguffin which was stolen by the character that's entire motivation is the discovery of why some people have super powers. His appearance is all set up towards that pay off.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

It fills the void left by a lack of mutants. It doesn't necessarily replace mutants, but it fills the gap by providing the MCU with people born with powers on Earth as opposed to getting them by accident. Absorbing Man isn't the first person on the show who had powers of unknown origin. It's clearly a mystery the show is building up to explaining, so it isn't like they are just throwing these characters in there and going "no no we aren't interested in explaining their origins." Their origins are part of the mystery, the very mystery that seems to be central to this season's plot.

To reiterate, I doubt that the show outright say "Skye you are a member of the subspecies known as inhumans, who were part of a Kree experiment!" I think it is somewhat likely that the show reveals that an alien race has tampered with a bunch of people genetically and gave them the ability to manifest powers, and that this will be revealed to more or less tie into whatever Inhuman stuff they do later in the movies. Once it happens in the movies, assuming the show survives that long, then they might start referring to inhumans more and "gifteds" less. I think we will still be left speculating exactly what is going on though, even though most comic readers will probably get it already. Kind of like what is going on with The Flash TV show.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Absorbing Man is related to Loki and Asgard.

...why would you assume that a detail like that applies in the MCU, exactly?

ToastyPotato posted:

It fills the void left by a lack of mutants. It doesn't necessarily replace mutants, but it fills the gap by providing the MCU with people born with powers on Earth as opposed to getting them by accident. Absorbing Man isn't the first person on the show who had powers of unknown origin. It's clearly a mystery the show is building up to explaining, so it isn't like they are just throwing these characters in there and going "no no we aren't interested in explaining their origins." Their origins are part of the mystery, the very mystery that seems to be central to this season's plot.

I'm pretty sure he is, actually. Even Blackout had a few lines of exposition from Coulson to explain his powers.

And I did not get the sense at all that any mystery regarding Creel's origins was being set up, for what that's worth. No characters wondering where his powers came from, no cryptic dialogue from his HYDRA superiors teasing his secret backstory. Unless I missed something.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 11, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scorch didn't have his powers explained did he? The whole point of Raina looking for special, gifted people with hidden potential is already a running mystery. Right now he was simply designated as a gifted, but its pretty clear that this isn't very special to SHIELD at this point as they have no reason to suspect anything other than some weird science experiment giving powers at this point.

If anything it was kind of bad writing that they weren't more interested in how he got his ability, but it is possible that they didn't want to write themselves into a corner by beating the audience over the head with the fact that he possibly gained powers in ways that they are just not ready to go into yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The real thing is why the gently caress Kree blood would make some dudes write crazy alien writing and open their mind to whack rear end cosmic secrets. Kree are just people really. Some are blue, some are pink, but they are just dudes. No real reason as it stands that pumping random people with their blood would make you suddenly cosmically aware of all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Scorch didn't have his powers explained did he? The whole point of Raina looking for special, gifted people with hidden potential is already a running mystery. Right now he was simply designated as a gifted, but its pretty clear that this isn't very special to SHIELD at this point as they have no reason to suspect anything other than some weird science experiment giving powers at this point.

If anything it was kind of bad writing that they weren't more interested in how he got his ability, but it is possible that they didn't want to write themselves into a corner by beating the audience over the head with the fact that he possibly gained powers in ways that they are just not ready to go into yet.

Oh, I was forgetting that episode. But I think there was at least a line about him acquiring powers through some industrial accident, no?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

The real thing is why the gently caress Kree blood would make some dudes write crazy alien writing and open their mind to whack rear end cosmic secrets. Kree are just people really. Some are blue, some are pink, but they are just dudes. No real reason as it stands that pumping random people with their blood would make you suddenly cosmically aware of all sorts of crazy poo poo.

True, but we also don't know exactly wtf the deal with that particular corpse is. Perhaps he himself was not normal, in some way.

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, I was forgetting that episode. But I think there was at least a line about him acquiring powers through some industrial accident, no?

According to the wiki, his powers merely manifested one day, which eventually lead to some kind of accident. They never explained where his powers actually came from. You were right about Blackout, since he got his in a lab accident or something like that. I was more thinking of Scorch specifically though, as he was involved with Raina.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

According to the wiki, his powers merely manifested one day, which eventually lead to some kind of accident. They never explained where his powers actually came from.

He lived near a nuclear power plant that caught fire. Not as explicit as some of the others, granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The whole Inhuman thing is mainly due to Marvel pushing an event book called Inhumanity last year but that was tanked by production issues, and they haven't really done anything with them since. I don't think there's any real evidence of them being incorporated into the MCU, but even so they literally cannot use the word mutants, so who cares what other term they use?

• Locked thread