Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The drawings reminded me of Sokka's drawings and that made me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

King of Foolians posted:

I've seen others refer to the possability of Korra reconnecting with past lives and I don't understand where this idea comes from. In season 2 they pretty clearly showed the 'past lives' getting disintegrated when Unalaq ripped Raava out of Korra and kept hitting her. To me it looked pretty clear that whatever memory of past lives Raava retained were gone, gone for good, hence the next season being called "Change".
It's sorta like watching the entire original series hoping that Aang would discover a secret colony of Airbenders who escaped being killed.

Also speaking of past lives, it must have been super weird for Katara to hang out with/recouperate someone who she literally used to be married to but is now in a different body. Of course, I don't think the show has been clear yet whether only the Avatar reincarnates, or if everyone in the world reincarnates and only the Avatar remembers their past lives.

At least for me the idea comes from the fact that Raava has been shown to regenerate over time: she was destroyed but started reforming after some time had passed. It is feasible to me that after literally years had passed she would have reformed enough for the past lives to become accessible, since the past lives were originally available as extensions of Raava. I do think it would be gimmicky (which is one of the reasons I'm torn about it) but it's not unprecedented: see the infamous rock in the finale of the original series, the finale of Book 1 of Korra, etc. Plus, Aang may not have found a secret colony of airbenders but he did find a secret colony of sky bison, which to me is pretty similar.

Originally Momo was supposed to be the reincarnation of Monk Gyatso. Though that was dropped it indicates at least to me that mass reincarnation is present. An often repeated sentiment in this series is that friendships can transcend lifetimes, after all.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well wasn't one of the points behind The Firelord and the Avatar to communicate to Zuko that his being drawn to Aang's side was not just because of "honour" but instead was predestined? Or something, I'm pretty sure Iroh said stuff about spirits during that conversation but I can't remember exact words.

also

Bongo Bill posted:

I just assumed Meelo drew the pictures.

This, this is what I thought too while she was reading all her letters, I was like "aww Meelo drew her pictures :3: I wonder if Ikki or Jinora sent correspondences too"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea I get the impression everyone in this setting reincarnates, they just don't have a spirit linking them to their past lives.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

X_Toad posted:

Same here, Bolin's narration was trying way too hard, I don't know how you could get something like that out of pictures.

That's the joke. WTF is with you people? I was trying really hard to hate the little spirit but I think they did fine with it. Ign had a go at the obvious elements of the monomyth in this story (refusal of the call mostly) but I think they missed on things like help from without, mentor figures and the failure of the divine boon (magic tree?) I'm pretty rusty with things like this.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Good show good episodes Toph is rad.

Words Of Mice
Apr 30, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

But in all seriousness, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Korra's training goes. Though I'm also curious to see what Kuvira will do to make herself Korra's final antagonist; as of now, she really hasn't done anything that necessitates Korra stepping in to bring her down.

Right now Kuvira is portrayed as misguided rather than antagonistic, which means there will probably be some plot point that will throw her off the deep end. I think the death/capture of her fiancee will be that catalyst (by Zaheer or accidentally by Wu?), as the guy just seems very "redshirt" to me. The fiance guy seems to be Kuvira's "earthly tether" to reality, and losing him will only strengthen her conviction for reunification, eventually leading to superfacism/war on United Republic.

That or they just reveal she's been secretly E.V.I.L. the entire time. After season 2, I think that's a definite possibility.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I see Kuvira the other way around, really. She's not misguided at all, but she's hella antagonistic.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Just watched episode 2, really loved Bolin's take on Ken Burns. Really loving funny.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
Is it just me, or is Toph kinda like Yoda? (Old person/alien living in a swamp with great powers teaching a young student important life lessons)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PaulDirac posted:

Is it just me, or is Toph kinda like Yoda? (Old person/alien living in a swamp with great powers teaching a young student important life lessons)

:monocle:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PaulDirac posted:

It's not just you, go look at the previous page of this thread.

thexerox123 posted:

There's already some pretty great fanart on this subject from just after the season 4 trailer dropped:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PaulDirac posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BrianWilly posted:

I see Kuvira the other way around, really. She's not misguided at all, but she's hella antagonistic.

Seriously. The show has made it pretty clear that it's all a big power grab. Anything she says to the contrary is just politicking.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Is the tree toph is living under the same tree from aang's vision in the swamp in TLA?

It always bugged me in the first series that he saw toph in the swamp. Maybe visions transcend lifetimes as well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rewatching that last scene...

"I found you passed out in the mud."
"How'd you know I was out there?"
"I'm pretty tapped in to the goings-on around here."

She can totally see the whole surrounding area through vibrations in the roots, can't she?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
To all of you wondering, I think we all know how Korra's training will go.

We've seen her lose faith and retrain every loving season.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

captain innocuous posted:

Is the tree toph is living under the same tree from aang's vision in the swamp in TLA?

It always bugged me in the first series that he saw toph in the swamp. Maybe visions transcend lifetimes as well.

She is Bran from Game of Thrones sending her awareness back in time via the weir-swamp duh.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Words Of Mice posted:

Right now Kuvira is portrayed as misguided rather than antagonistic, which means there will probably be some plot point that will throw her off the deep end. I think the death/capture of her fiancee will be that catalyst (by Zaheer or accidentally by Wu?), as the guy just seems very "redshirt" to me. The fiance guy seems to be Kuvira's "earthly tether" to reality, and losing him will only strengthen her conviction for reunification, eventually leading to superfacism/war on United Republic.

That or they just reveal she's been secretly E.V.I.L. the entire time. After season 2, I think that's a definite possibility.

I don't think Kuvira is misguided: I think she's determined, strong-willed, and has a definite sense of how the world should be run and that's supposed to contrast with Korra's loss of her sense of self. She's antagonistic just by who she is.

I'm also not sure they'd kill off Toph's grandson, however disposable he seems to be. I don't think he even had lines last season.

Drifter posted:

To all of you wondering, I think we all know how Korra's training will go.

We've seen her lose faith and retrain every loving season.

Every time I recall the end of Book 1 I laugh. I think Book 4 Korra would kill to be at Book 1 Korra's lowest point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't see Kuvira as misguided. She's uniting a country. And she is taking care of those cities who fall in line with her.

Until it shows she's actually colluding with the bandits, she seems like a person who knows that a fractured country can't survive, and that the current government is a crock of poo poo.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^^

Plus the guy who should be doing this is growing up in exile and is also Prince Wu. Who else is going to do it? The Earth Queen seems to have made an attempt to control everything unlike her father and the one adviser we saw was no Long Feng. The only alternative that we've seen is Suyin and she made her views clear in the third season.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sato posted:

^^^^^^

Plus the guy who should be doing this is growing up in exile and is also Prince Wu. Who else is going to do it? The Earth Queen seems to have made an attempt to control everything unlike her father and the one adviser we saw was no Long Feng. The only alternative that we've seen is Suyin and she made her views clear in the third season.

She was more than fair with the town the airbenders were trying to help, I thought. She was basically saying "Hey, you look like you've got yourself into quite a situation with some lovely people. We'll be your police force, but we need your support if you're going to be supported by us. This poo poo ain't free, you know."

She even left when the town leader told her to, initially (but she wasn't stupid so she hung around nearby - like two little loving kids are going to save the day forever :jerkbag:).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While it's easy to say that Kulvira is trying to establish fascism in the Earth Kindom (her treatment of the bandits was definitely a little... out there) it's really unlikely that Prince Wu would be a good leader either. Maybe she really is someone trying to make the Earth kingdom a better place?

We'll see, but I have a feeling that Suyin's son is really the one to keep an eye out for. If the bandits who attacked Opal and Kai were actually working for someone (and they probably were, given the airplane) I bet it's him and Varrick. Varrick, of course, isn't after power, but war profiteering.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know it's been mentioned before, but can I just say that it was the absolutely stupidest tv moment when the bandit fought the airbenders in midair and stole their supplies.

Like, literally the stupidest fight scene. Absolutely moronic. Shame on the writers.

Have the airship bombard the flying bison and have a strap snap and send the supplies tumbling.

I know they were perhaps trying to showcase how inexperienced/overextended the airbending nation was, but good god.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 11, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Drifter posted:

I don't see Kuvira as misguided. She's uniting a country. And she is taking care of those cities who fall in line with her.

Until it shows she's actually colluding with the bandits, she seems like a person who knows that a fractured country can't survive, and that the current government is a crock of poo poo.
Well good intentions and all that; basically she's doing what you do a in the first mission of the Genghis Khan campaign of Age of Empires II

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

achillesforever6 posted:

Well good intentions and all that; basically she's doing what you do a in the first mission of the Genghis Khan campaign of Age of Empires II

Is she killing anyone who isn't attacking innocent towns?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Literally the only mission I remember :D

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
"So, I'm not very good at writing letters. It's 2:15 in the afternoon. Weather is fair. Chance of snow showers later today. But enough joking around."

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

lelandjs posted:

While it's easy to say that Kulvira is trying to establish fascism in the Earth Kindom (her treatment of the bandits was definitely a little... out there) it's really unlikely that Prince Wu would be a good leader either. Maybe she really is someone trying to make the Earth kingdom a better place?

We'll see, but I have a feeling that Suyin's son is really the one to keep an eye out for. If the bandits who attacked Opal and Kai were actually working for someone (and they probably were, given the airplane) I bet it's him and Varrick. Varrick, of course, isn't after power, but war profiteering.

I think its a mistake to label Kuvira as fascist since its a western political ideology... you should look more to Asian nationalists movements like the Chinese Kuomintang. I'd wager Kuvira's efforts take a lot of inspiration from Chiang Kai Shek's Northern Expedition.

As to the airplane bandit, I think he's working for Kuvira. Maybe not directly, but he gets his orders from somebody within her movement. In a place as chaotic as the Earth Kingdom it would make a lot of sense to establish networks of spies and agents among the bandits. I doubt it'd be the first time she's had deniable assets for dirty work, its just good realpolitik.

Think about it, you're trying to re-unite a bunch of states that have had 3 years or so of independence. Some of them are going to want to rejoin the fold, and some are going to need a little push. You could invade and annex them, but wouldn't it look so much better if they came to you looking for help after a particularly bad bandit raid?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Is the evil spirit Korra about to hatch a baby Vaatu? Isn't he supposed to be reborn from Raava?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Yep this show is cool. Not quite as good as Zuko Alone, but that's a pretty high bar. I almost choked on my drink during the sushi shack scene. And I was happy to see the return/child/same voice actor of that cool spirit Wan met at the oasis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

Is the evil spirit Korra about to hatch a baby Vaatu? Isn't he supposed to be reborn from Raava?

Korra currently has no connection to Raava. That phantom is taking the appearance of the Avatar State, which is to say, Raava.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 11, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
At least Bolin gets what writing letters is all about.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Great second episode! I got spoiled about Toph's appearance, but, hell, we all knew that since the trailer anyway. It was really heartbreaking to see Korra get smacked around; I'm glad they actually bothered to deal with depression/trauma this way, this should make the coming plot that much more interesting. It was spot-on how everybody kept telling her to get better, take her time etc. when it's absolutely clear Korra has no idea how to do that, and it's frustrating to no end. The "Are you sure she's the Avatar" was just mean. :( I'm not sure what Toph can even do to help out Korra, but I'm sure she has some wisdom to impart - or at least something to reveal about her daughters.

I've gotta say: once again, I have absolutely no idea where this is going, and that is great. Bolin will definitely have his own plot, Asami probably will if her father really shows up again, and I'm still not convinced that Kuvira is the "final" villain (SUYIN IS EVIL I'M TELLING YOU WHY WILL NOBODY HEED MY WARNING). I can't imagine they're gonna leave Mako hanging without some closure, and I'm sure Tenzin will still get to job play a role. This whole thing is a clusterfuck and it'll be great. Also, Dorky Policeman Mako is starting to rival Tenzin as my favorite character. I'd never thought I'd say that given the jerk Mako we got in S1, but here we are. That letter. :allears:

Concerning future plot: I'm sure Kuvira will turn out to be a power-hungry villain, and that she hired at least some bandits for her great unification goal, but she doesn't strike me as villain material on the scale of Amon, Unalaq or Zaheer: she doesn't seem larger than life, and compared to these three, her goals are outright down to earth. The latter is not why I don't consider her final supervillain material, mind you. She also doesn't have a personal enmity with the Avatar: the Avatar is, if she should become an enemy for real, an obstacle, not an ideological opposite (so far, at least). We still have to see, but that's my first impression. I have a feeling we'll have a twist or two somewhere later on (IT'S SUYIN SHE'S RED LOTUS SHE HEALED KORRA ONLY BECAUSE SHE HAS HER OWN GOALS AND DITCHED THE RED LOTUS THERE WILL BE AN EPIC BEIFONG SHOWDOWN I'M TELLING YOU).

Uuuuughhhhh why do I have to wait a week

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

her goals are outright down to earth

I get it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azipod posted:

I think its a mistake to label Kuvira as fascist since its a western political ideology... you should look more to Asian nationalists movements like the Chinese Kuomintang. I'd wager Kuvira's efforts take a lot of inspiration from Chiang Kai Shek's Northern Expedition.

Asian politics in general tended toward one party authoritarian states though. Kuvira seems to be a mix of the GMD reunification thing as you said, but also the Japanese Imperial Army, which are at least associated with Fascism if nothing else. Arguably that makes her more :hitler: like, because his main gimmick was a one party authoritarian state and taking back the lands lost from a terrible conflict.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

computer parts posted:

Asian politics in general tended toward one party authoritarian states though. Kuvira seems to be a mix of the GMD reunification thing as you said, but also the Japanese Imperial Army, which are at least associated with Fascism if nothing else. Arguably that makes her more :hitler: like, because his main gimmick was a one party authoritarian state and taking back the lands lost from a terrible conflict.

Hah! She's Nobunaga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Earth Kingdom minorities currently living in the Fire Nation are agitating for reunification with the Earth Kingdom, clearly this is casus belli for us to occupy the islands. The dream of a Großerdesreich is finally within our grasp. :godwin:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Something tells me Zuko won't be a good Chamberlain replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's definitely GMD politics, I'd wager she probably wouldn't even take the crown either, if she can make Prince Wu her puppet that would be ideal, but in the end I don't think she would flinch from just being Commander in Chief in a 'State of Emergency' until the day she dies.

Shut up Nappa!

• Locked thread