Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth
I can't make the NC1 Gauss work for me to save my life. I run it with 2x/Grip, but apparently its mystical eludes me. I get worse stats with it than with the VS1 Pulsar. I don't know what messes me up using it, but I'm loving awful with that gun, yet I can just use the Mercenary and wreck shop with little issue. Is there anything giant I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I think Higby hinted at it but no promises.

PS1 basically made you a super soldier for fighting zergs. 20% bonus health bonus, near instant spawns... like double exp or triple constantly. That's about it though. There was no courage box. The enemy just got to ram their metagame down your throat, walk into your spawn room and kill you / your spawn tubes. You also didn't spawn with gear. You spawned in poo poo armor with a PDW/NS11C type weapon.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

And like a NS weapon, the Suppressor was actually one of the best guns in the game. That thing was a fully automatic sniper rifle essentially.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would think it'd be cool to have something like a super soldier mode when your faction is hugely outnumbered.

Hossin NEEDS YOUR HELP and if you go there now you'll get +50% health and double xp!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
In a 30 minute Indar Excavation fight I managed to get like 60 KSR-35 kills off the NC trying to walk into the bottom floor, and died five times... four of those to TR... and one of those four to an Annihilator, somehow. Also nearly weapon-locked the whole time from guys walking directly through me no matter where I went.

Basically the full Connery experience in a nutshell: You're a shitter, the NC and VS are terrible, and the TR are actively self-destructive.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
As soon as I switch to TR, NC starts to outpop everyone globally by a ridiculous margin, like 45% to 27% each. drat. I tried rolling on Emerald for a bit but the lag was just too insane from New Zealand. I just want to shoot mans, but living in this part of the world makes it harsh.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6AmPgsGm0

pumpkin_meta.mpg

VenusInFurries posted:

I can't make the NC1 Gauss work for me to save my life. I run it with 2x/Grip, but apparently its mystical eludes me. I get worse stats with it than with the VS1 Pulsar. I don't know what messes me up using it, but I'm loving awful with that gun, yet I can just use the Mercenary and wreck shop with little issue. Is there anything giant I'm missing?

I'm only so-so with it, so you're not alone. It's definitely a FANTASTIC weapon and I go on mean streaks from time to time but for the most part it feels super anemic compared to the gun you should be using - the Tross or Reaper DMR (either works! Go with the Tross if you like LMGs and the Reaper if you like full auto battle rifles with carbine reload speeds)

edit - oh and ever since the update to sights I pretty much only ever use the 3.4x crosshair scope no matter what gun or loadout I'm using. Just incredible for getting a good bead on some rear end in a top hat's head and obliterating them

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Oh my god. I bet that tank driver was quite happy. EDIT: I really wanna know if the tank got the pumpkin after that

PS Higby put in outfit decals already

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 11, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I was thinking about trying one of the 3.4x scopes on the Gauss. I've been getting a pretty good bead on leading moving targets with it but it seems like most combat scenarios take place either in hipfire spray range or medium-long range. The 2x sight isn't needed for the former and insufficient for the latter. I'll give it a shot and if it sucks then I'm only out like 30 certs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fina posted:

I was thinking about trying one of the 3.4x scopes on the Gauss. I've been getting a pretty good bead on leading moving targets with it but it seems like most combat scenarios take place either in hipfire spray range or medium-long range. The 2x sight isn't needed for the former and insufficient for the latter. I'll give it a shot and if it sucks then I'm only out like 30 certs.

I can't speak for the TR/VS, as the NC are the only ones with a crosshair 3.4x. It's glorious because I feel like the other variants are too cluttered or blocky, but the Tactic-Eye is a very clean, accurate scope perfect for headshots. While not perfect, it's a great balance.

Haven't tried the new chevron or red dot 3.4x but I've never been a fan of them in the past

:allears:

Almost enough to convince me to play APB

And yeah, there's very few things in this game that NEVER lose that sense of glee you got the first time you accomplished them, but bagging an ESF with a Titan AP is one of them. It's great watching a bunch of Vanguards all going hull up to spray Hail Mary instagib rounds at all air in render range. Even if none hit, once the air realizes what's going on they BOOK IT

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 11, 2014

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Epic High Five posted:

And yeah, there's very few things in this game that NEVER lose that sense of glee you got the first time you accomplished them, but bagging an ESF with a Titan AP is one of them. It's great watching a bunch of Vanguards all going hull up to spray Hail Mary instagib rounds at all air in render range. Even if none hit, once the air realizes what's going on they BOOK IT

The best is when we were rolling around as a vanguard pack and a VS gal decided to loiter very low and slow over a base. 6 vanguards rolled on a hill so they could get elevation, and with one command to SHOOT HER, the galaxy literally did not have time to react.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Haven't tried the new chevron or red dot 3.4x but I've never been a fan of them in the past

I've switched to the red dot 3.4x ever since the new sights update. I often find myself losing the center of the cross now that it is a thick, transparent, dull red rather than a nice solid, thin, black. Red dot is always the center now, but I do kinda miss being able to keep horizontally centered when compensating for drop.

Aside: Has anyone unlocked the Directive reward Scout Rifle? GD Guardian I think it's called. Anyone know how it acts compared to a Warden?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Broose posted:

I've switched to the red dot 3.4x ever since the new sights update. I often find myself losing the center of the cross now that it is a thick, transparent, dull red rather than a nice solid, thin, black. Red dot is always the center now, but I do kinda miss being able to keep horizontally centered when compensating for drop.

Aside: Has anyone unlocked the Directive reward Scout Rifle? GD Guardian I think it's called. Anyone know how it acts compared to a Warden?

I don't tend to lead or follow with any sight >2x. I scope only to fire and track with the hipfire crosshairs. Tougher to lose the sight this way, and I'd give it a shot again after the revamp goes in so that things are more visible overall. This bites me in the rear end sometimes, but PS2 is a game that punishes tunnel vision harshly. This may also be a product of my near exclusive usage of guns with poor moving accuracy

Of course I genuinely prefer the blue diamond 2x reflex which everybody else hates so I think I'm just weird

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I spent some time playing on Emerald today, and then immediately went to Connery after that. I'm finding it hilarious how, despite being criminally inept at almost all aspects of the game, members of most of the big outfits on Connery are just somehow so eagle-eyed that they can instantly spot me running around as a cloaked infiltrator when on Emerald I seemed to be a loving ghost no matter what Empire I went on.

If I didn't know better I'd almost believe my own rage-fueled /yells about people cloak hacking or some poo poo, because holy gently caress it's night and day.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Easy answer, there is so much poo poo exploding on Emerald that infiltrators don't mean poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If I can see an infiltrator fairly easily, that's a bad infiltrator that presents no threat to me

Odds are, if I go for them I'll be killed by someone I didn't see who was indeed a threat, because this is Emerald, the canon server

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

If I can see an infiltrator fairly easily, that's a bad infiltrator that presents no threat to me

Odds are, if I go for them I'll be killed by someone I didn't see who was indeed a threat, because this is Emerald, the canon server

It's not so much people on Emerald can't see me if I cloak in front of their face and run around in their field of view, as much as people on Connery will do a 180 degree turn to blast me as I'm running behind them 30' away. It's loving ludicrous.

i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vXt7Iqhc54

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I'm really hoping that the YOU'RE ALL BAD is saved for multikills.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Oct 11
Daily sale: TSAR-42 / SAS-R / Ghost*
Members sale: Flash M20 Basilisk-F

* Also available at no cost from the new character survey

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Broose posted:

Ask King Sniperman Cahal, he just unlocked the TR directive reward Baddle Rifle a couple days ago.

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

o muerte posted:

Ask King Sniperman Cahal, he just unlocked the TR directive reward Baddle Rifle a couple days ago.

I haven't used it extensively because I hate it, but it feels completely identical to the normal battle rifle. Its stats differ a bit, but it's most likely equivalent to the normal rifle with HVA and a compensator. The only real difference seems to be that the TR directive one looks like it's made of hamburger meat. I guess yours would instead look like blue hamburger meat, which is probably a bit cooler.

Edit: Oh, the Planetside wiki actually says the directive one comes with HVA, forward grip, and compensator, which is what I use on mine. I guess that explains why they feel identical.

roxxor5678 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 11, 2014

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Weren't they supposed to have some super HVA with a higher velocity or something ?
Checking the spergsheets it seems to be literally just the stock weapon with those attachments.

VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth
Holy gently caress the new x3.4 scopes are amazing. Suddenly the Pulsar is usable and actually kills things. Thanks to whoever recommended it to me, suddenly more things die.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

They buffed the Spiker! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJ3m_oOqXI

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't realize the spiker had such a neat reload animation

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Thats because the proper animation is significantly faster, you barely see the orb being tossed into the chamber cause it goes by so quickly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That's pretty underwhelming given all the choice BCP clips there are.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The buff is also very appropriate to the name. Getting hit that is definitely a Spike in damage. :v:

Fart Car '97 posted:

VS Pistol design: The cooler it looks the worse it is.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Oh, now I realize why every angry PS2 streamer on twitch calls people "shitters" when they get killed. BCP, the trendsetter.

Also, sad day, I have aurax'd my Cyclone. I can't believe my baby's already all grown up. I guess I'll have to play something else until I can unlock the Blitz, and hope it doesn't suck.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Renounced posted:

Oh, now I realize why every angry PS2 streamer on twitch calls people "shitters" when they get killed. BCP, the trendsetter.

Also, sad day, I have aurax'd my Cyclone. I can't believe my baby's already all grown up. I guess I'll have to play something else until I can unlock the Blitz, and hope it doesn't suck.

If you want to not think the Blitz sucks, just do what I did, aurax the NS smgs first.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Keeshhound posted:

If you want to not think the Blitz sucks, just do what I did, aurax the NS smgs first.

That's not a very glowing endorsement. But considering I've already done the PDW, I might just go ahead and try the MKV over the Blitz, even though suppressors ruin kill streaks.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The MKV is a bad PDW with a supressor. It has a 3% lower TTK Before 20m, and a higher TTK after 20m. Its short reload is the same as the PDW's long reload. Its damage dropoff starts 5 meters before the PDW's and reaches a lower minimum 20m before the PDW's does. From a 'killing people' standpoint it's 3% faster at killing people within 10 meters, and worse in every other conceivable category.

The upsides are you don't take a muzzle velocity reduction and you don't get the damage penalties a suppressor normally brings. Since its damage profile is already worse than the PDW in every way, really the only upside is the Muzzle Velocity. Since you really need to be at close range to kill targets anyways you may as well just put a suppressor on the PDW and call it a day. At the very least, use the PDW with a suppressor for a while and you should have an accurate-ish picture of what using the MKV will be like.

It's a really poorly thought out gun, unless suppressor penalties are somehow worse than anyone imagined.

Edited to further elaborate on just how the MKV is a terrible weapon.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Fart Car '97 posted:

The MKV is a bad PDW with a supressor. It has a 3% lower TTK Before 20m, and a higher TTK after 20m. The upsides are you don't take a muzzle velocity reduction and you don't get the damage penalties a suppressor normally brings.

The reality is since its damage profile is already worse than the PDW in every way, the only practical upside (when compared to a suppressed PDW) is it doesn't get a velocity reduction. Since you really need to be at close range to kill targets anyways you may as well just put a suppressor on the PDW and call it a day. At the very least, use the PDW with a suppressor for a while and you should have an accurate picture of what using the MKV will be like.

It's a really poorly thought out gun, unless suppressor penalties are somehow worse than anyone imagined.
They once sold the MKV for 1 SC.

I think there may be a reason for this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Renounced posted:

That's not a very glowing endorsement. But considering I've already done the PDW, I might just go ahead and try the MKV over the Blitz, even though suppressors ruin kill streaks.

Not much is going to glow after staring into the Sun that is the Cyclone

The MKV is gonna suck. Hard. But the Blitz will likely feel like a juggernaut of destruction afterwards so it's not a bad plan.

I just wonder if the Tempest is worth it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Keeshhound posted:

That's what I'm doing before I switch to the first VS SMG (the one with the smaller mag) as my last SMG to aurax.

I will say this after dealing with the PDW and MKV, that they are very controllable and reliable guns and can, in fact, kill people. The MKV also seems to let me get away with more bullshit than the PDW despite the lower TTK because people don't seem able to recognize that the silenced gun and white tracers might belong to an enemy as readily (and I suspect a decent amount of pubbies run with the "any enemy that shoots me without a silencer is auto-spotted" implant simply because of people who pull the LA shenanigans that I like to do).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah, GOOD LUCK TEAM 1!

Someone post the stat tracker link here when it goes live please, I'm stuck at work but would like to follow along

And remember: the tie breaker is margin of victory, so GO FOR THE THROAT

wei
Jul 27, 2006
We're playing tomorrow, Connery v Cobalt is in 45 minutes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Renounced posted:

The Blitz is a great SMG, it's just the Sirius but for NC. It doesn't get a lot of love because the Cyclone is a million times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wei posted:

We're playing tomorrow, Connery v Cobalt is in 45 minutes.

poo poo, I must've read the schedule in some kind of fever dream

Excellent, Colts already played and I'm off at 2 so I'll be able to catch it without missing any

FOOT

BALL

• Locked thread