Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

spankmeister posted:

You need to do what that little green man is doing in your avatar.

poo poo, dude. I love this job. I get paid like 75% more than the median for support managers in my area, unlimited sick leave - important because I'm a heart patient - and I get the satisfaction of working on problems in Real Places That Matter. Such as the datacenter that SA's hosted in.

But my god. "help I hosed my database with vim and now it doesn't work". Welp, your db's hosed, chucklefuck. It's :pt: time, and this time don't edit your databases with a text editor. This is not license to do so with a magnetized sewing needle, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Exit Strategy posted:

poo poo, dude. I love this job. I get paid like 75% more than the median for support managers in my area, unlimited sick leave - important because I'm a heart patient - and I get the satisfaction of working on problems in Real Places That Matter. Such as the datacenter that SA's hosted in.

But my god. "help I hosed my database with vim and now it doesn't work". Welp, your db's hosed, chucklefuck. It's :pt: time, and this time don't edit your databases with a text editor. This is not license to do so with a magnetized sewing needle, either.

Oh ok so next time SA breaks we'll just call you instead.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

spankmeister posted:

Oh ok so next time SA breaks we'll just call you instead.

hahahahaha. Right. I just work with Steadfast, I don't physically go to their DCs.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh, god.

Not the same client as yesterday, but holy gently caress.

"I got this error while configuring the alias on my server. My mistake was i made an amendment on the mysql table using text editor."

I don't know much about SQL but what I do know makes me go :smithicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pr0digal posted:

In looking at the logs this has been going on for ages without an issue and since they're just guessing usernames that don't exist I'm not that worried. From about a zillion Chinese IPs, all of which are failing.
Unless you're an international company with business in asia, blackholing all of APNIC (except AU/NZ) is one of the better ways to reduce the amount of brute force attacks against your network.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Didn't radium at one time boast about fixing FRM files with a hex editor?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So I got called back to clients site to help with a site move. Right now im waiting on everyone to pack their offices to move equipment around. I went to speak to a department manager about setting up a few new workstations that they have been bugging me about for two weeks. Turns out the manager completely forgot to order them.

Looks like ill be back in 3-5 business days for another full day visit. At least this is good for my billable hours.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A verbatim ticket came in...

quote:

Hi I am a problem printing.

Hi, A problem printing, I'm MJP.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

IT dad jokes.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ok, your access to all printers has been revoked. Problem solved!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MJP posted:

Are they still in business anymore?

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

It seems like every time I get a trouble ticket with "WE'RE DOWN" in the title and it ends up being a new user setup, my eye starts twitching and won't stop until I drink alcohol.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

Are they still in business anymore?

They sure are. http://www.verbatim.com/tattoo/ GET INKED.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

This is all I can think about when I see the name Nunez

http://pbfcomics.com/145/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MJP posted:

Hi I am a problem printing.
Oh god, spooler errors have gained sentience! We're all doomed!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Lareous posted:

It seems like every time I get a trouble ticket with "WE'RE DOWN" in the title and it ends up being a new user setup, my eye starts twitching and won't stop until I drink alcohol.

Got an in house email titled "Emergency..." about a buying a projector this week.

The absolute worst was from Dell's regional sales. The promotional email arrived with the subject "IS YOUR WIFI WIPED OUT??" at 6:30 at night

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
User comes to me in a huff that her outlook client is missing chunks of E-mails that are suddenly coming in from yesterday, which of course is affecting her job due to missing client communications, fair enough anyone would be upset at that. I go to have a quick look and kick it to external support since I'm ridiculously busy with menial poo poo to cover lack of proper staff.

A little later she comes back to me that they're on the phone and want to speak to me (Who knows why she couldn't transfer the call);

:phone:: "Yeah I think we found something that might be related to the problem, [user's] PST file is like... 30Gb in size"
:phoneb:: "WHAT"

So now it has all additional inboxes removed, and will be left running over the weekend to see what the gently caress is going on.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roargasm posted:

Got an in house email titled "Emergency..." about a buying a projector this week.

It might be overreacting, but if someone leaves a voicemail on the IT helpline asking for emergency help without any context that might suggest it's a technical issue, I'll first try to call them back and find out what's going on. If they don't answer the phone I have a security guard or EMT meet me if possible.

I figure that if someone's having a heart attack or there's a robbery, they might not have the clarity of thought to call security and instead zero in on the sticky note that says HELPLINE, better safe than sorry. They tend to leave more descriptive voicemails in the future.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Super Slash posted:

User comes to me in a huff that her outlook client is missing chunks of E-mails that are suddenly coming in from yesterday, which of course is affecting her job due to missing client communications, fair enough anyone would be upset at that. I go to have a quick look and kick it to external support since I'm ridiculously busy with menial poo poo to cover lack of proper staff.

A little later she comes back to me that they're on the phone and want to speak to me (Who knows why she couldn't transfer the call);

:phone:: "Yeah I think we found something that might be related to the problem, [user's] PST file is like... 30Gb in size"
:phoneb:: "WHAT"

So now it has all additional inboxes removed, and will be left running over the weekend to see what the gently caress is going on.

2 companies ago I had a user with an almost 80gb pst file. I just let it happen because I assumed they were going for a world record.
Then the word came down that I had to implement regular backups of every user's pst file :gonk:
We also had several other users with 45+gb pst files.

POP3 :argh:

Who needs a DMS when you have email?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hate POP3 email hoarders. Actually I hate email in general, goddamn 1980s technology. It's the one thing where I'd actually be happy for everything to just live :yayclod: the cloud :yayclod:.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Can anybody confirm whether or not this is an effective solution to the problem people have while using high DPI displays with Remote Desktop

http://blog.falafel.com/remote-desktop-on-a-high-dpi-screen/

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Can anybody confirm whether or not this is an effective solution to the problem people have while using high DPI displays with Remote Desktop

Can't help, but this actually might be very useful for us, since we have issues that some vector graphics aren't being generated correctly when RDP misreports screen sizes / DPI.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Ika posted:

Can't help, but this actually might be very useful for us, since we have issues that some vector graphics aren't being generated correctly when RDP misreports screen sizes / DPI.

it's an issue one of our upper mgmt folk is having

problem is... I don't have ready access to any high DPI displays to use for testing

it looks like people have been kvetching about the problem since 2009 so it has to have been resolved by now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

From what I'm told it is. One of my co-workers had a laptop with a 4k display that was RDPing into another machine that was not 4k. He shot me that same link after he fixed it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in for the first time! :yotj:

Recently landed my first job in IT doing store support and office reporting for ~20 retail locations. Really enjoying it so far and I'm getting a golden opportunity to watch and learn a bunch of stuff (POS system rollout, servers being migrated to cloud, etc.) My boss is great and has tons of documentation of his procedures so I've been reading into everything I can get my hands on and updating the ones that are outdated.

Anyways, ticket. Monitor at a store location isn't working on a register. System is on, monitor has a red light but doesn't say no signal. System responds fine remotely, restart it, still not working.

So I pack up a new monitor and system just in case and hit the road. 20 minute drive there, confirm it isn't saying no signal. Check the back of the PC, cable is firmly in place. Check the back of the monitor... VGA cable is loose but connected. Push the cable in all the way, monitor now working. Cashier apologized profusely. :3:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 11, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mo_Steel posted:

Recently landed my first job in IT doing store support and office reporting for ~20 retail locations. Really enjoying it so far and I'm getting a golden opportunity to watch and learn a bunch of stuff (POS system rollout, servers being migrated to cloud, etc.) My boss is great and has tons of documentation of his procedures so I've been reading into everything I can get my hands on and updating the ones that are outdated.

Anyways, ticket. Monitor at a store location isn't working on a register. System is on, monitor has a red light but doesn't say no signal. System responds fine remotely, restart it, still not working.

So I pack up a new monitor and system just in case and hit the road. 20 minute drive there, confirm it isn't saying no signal. Check the back of the PC, cable is firmly in place. Check the back of the monitor... VGA cable is loose but connected. Push the cable in all the way, monitor now working. Cashier apologized profusely. :3:

Congrats!

One thing you'll pick up on is clever ways to get the end user to reseat plugs. You could have saved yourself a trip by asking the cashier to unscrew the cable with the blue plug behind the monitor and count the pins.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Didn't radium at one time boast about fixing FRM files with a hex editor?

Don't tell the new coder :ssh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Migishu posted:

Don't tell the new coder :ssh:

See how many instances of DE AD BE EF you can find. If you can't find any, pick some octets and make it spell it!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

48gb Outlook pst file.. corrupt... can't even archive that poo poo. Why.... :negative:

This user is nice but she isn't going to like that I'm going to spend unbelievable amounts of time fixing this poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

An update came in...

In what may be the first (if not the swiftest) instance of the hammer of divine justice slamming down in favor of the beleaguered computer janitors, the person who submitted this ticket was fired by the end of the day.

She didn't even make it one full week.

I guess her tickets were as evocative as her accounting work.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
To get less than a week you must have done something pretty bad I imagine. Usually even people who are awful at their jobs are given more time than that to get up to speed, aren't they?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mo_Steel posted:

I used to be a traveling PC technician and this reminds me of a call (one of a hundred reasons) why I left that job. Get a call from one of our regular clients, a law firm. One of the lawyer's monitors isn't working (that's all the information I get from my boss, and I NEED TO GET THERE IMMEDIATELY). I get in my truck and head out there on a 40 minute drive even though it's close to the end of the day. It's raining during rush hour in New Jersey, and I'm stuck on Rt 22 in traffic and at one point I nearly get into an accident. I'm physically and mentally exhausted by the time I get to the lawyer's office. Grab my laptop bag and a spare VGA and head directly to the lawyer, who has to be at least 65 years old. He's furious at no one in particular that his monitor was working fine but now it won't even turn on. I stare at the monitor, look at it from a few angles, find the power switch and press it. The monitor comes to life and everything looks to be just fine. His response: "Oh. I didn't know my monitor had a power button."

:suicide:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

guppy posted:

To get less than a week you must have done something pretty bad I imagine. Usually even people who are awful at their jobs are given more time than that to get up to speed, aren't they?

Where I work we all joke about how anyone who lasts more than a week is a veteran. I spend entirely too much of my time creating user accounts and printing out ID badges just to delete said accounts and deactivate said badges a few days later.

Admittedly most of these people are temps getting a lovely manufacturing job that they stop showing up to after a day or two but still.

Also: A user e-mailed us the other day saying that the new SATO printer we purchased for her wouldn't work and that she had tried everything and could we please help her. My boss e-ails her to ask if she means the new Zebra he purchased. No, it's a SATO, she says. He goes out to figure it out and asks her to show him the printer. She points at the printer with her finger touching the logo of a zebra head. It turns out if you install SATO drivers for a Zebra printer it won't work.

Who knew?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tailored Sauce posted:

It's raining during rush hour in New Jersey, and I'm stuck on Rt 22 in traffic and at one point I nearly get into an accident.

I used to live in Union, NJ - gently caress Route 22.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tomapot posted:

gently caress Route 22.

Hearty agreement. 22 is always bad at all places at all times.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?

Tailored Sauce posted:

I used to be a traveling PC technician and this reminds me of a call (one of a hundred reasons) why I left that job. Get a call from one of our regular clients, a law firm. One of the lawyer's monitors isn't working (that's all the information I get from my boss, and I NEED TO GET THERE IMMEDIATELY). I get in my truck and head out there on a 40 minute drive even though it's close to the end of the day. It's raining during rush hour in New Jersey, and I'm stuck on Rt 22 in traffic and at one point I nearly get into an accident. I'm physically and mentally exhausted by the time I get to the lawyer's office. Grab my laptop bag and a spare VGA and head directly to the lawyer, who has to be at least 65 years old. He's furious at no one in particular that his monitor was working fine but now it won't even turn on. I stare at the monitor, look at it from a few angles, find the power switch and press it. The monitor comes to life and everything looks to be just fine. His response: "Oh. I didn't know my monitor had a power button."

:suicide:

I got a ticket that excel was missing once... The icon was on the taskbar, task manager showed that it was running, no events were logged... Came to the lady and she had a two monitor setup. The primary screen was on, the secondary wasn't.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

MJP posted:

I guess her tickets were as evocative as her accounting work.

It's strange to me that more industries don't have an equivalent to IT's technical interview. I've met people who have been woefully unprepared to handle the simplest elements of their job, but in almost every case they're a very outgoing person. It makes me think they just BSed the interview and got the job, not really expecting that they'd ever be expected to do what they claimed to be capable of.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sonic Dude posted:

It's strange to me that more industries don't have an equivalent to IT's technical interview. I've met people who have been woefully unprepared to handle the simplest elements of their job, but in almost every case they're a very outgoing person. It makes me think they just BSed the interview and got the job, not really expecting that they'd ever be expected to do what they claimed to be capable of.

The problem is that HR and managers rarely know how to do what they expect their underlings to do. It only really works if you already have at least 1 competent person in the position you are hiring for.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Volmarias posted:

Hearty agreement. 22 is always bad at all places at all times.

I work on rt 22.

Are we all in central NJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Sonic Dude posted:

Kind of want to make a youtube series of how other industries would do the equivalent of a whiteboard interview. Like, surgeon. Or long-haul airline pilot.

Maybe it's not as good as my "Will it work as toilet paper?" series idea though.

• Locked thread