Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What is the point of the per app profiles? LGS goes through all the effort of making it look different, but when I look at them they're all clones of the default profile. I though they were supposed to be common presets for each game without me having to do the work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The pre-defined commands in each profile are based on the default controls in that game's manual. Creating commands and defining the target executable are the time-saving actions we take in creating profiles. We do not pre-assign commands to mouse or keyboard controls in LGS.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not to start this whole debate again but if you are playing shooters you will have a better time with a lower DPI even though it might feel sluggish in the beginning. A low dpi and large mouse pad is how most professional players play.

But at the end of the day do what feels best and is most fun. Just adding this because it seriously improved my cs:go game two fold.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

A low dpi and large mouse pad is how most professional players play.

This. Its the top piece of advice I give to players looking to improve their aim in any FPS. I play most FPS with a 7.5" 180* turn.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Horizontal Tree posted:

This. Its the top piece of advice I give to players looking to improve their aim in any FPS. I play most FPS with a 7.5" 180* turn.

:stonk:

Well this is certainly different from what I was hearing back in the original Counter-Strike days. Granted that was like 15 years ago, but still. I'm going to have to be feeling veeeeeeery patient before I try this.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
This is exactly why we designed the Fusion Engine for the G402 - because low DPI and large movements require moving the mouse faster, in many instances, than the sensor can keep up with.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, no thanks on the low DPI thing. Do what works for you, definitely. I'm not a competitive gaming person, I just like good peripherals, and I have nearly no interest in multiplayer shooters. :shrug:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah I just figured I'd throw it out there, its definitely not for everyone. And lots of twitch type shooters have been created a common idea that high dpi is the way to play. And while that is definitely true for instagib quake, it couldn't be further from the truth for CS:GO or battlefield.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Huh, you know, I did notice my mouse wasn't really behaving properly in the single player bits of Black Ops 2 and MW3. Design difference, I guess? I must not have played any games built around lower DPI input.

(Nobody buy those two games I mentioned for the single player)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am not really sure if these games are "designed around lower dpi" per se but it can help. Its basically like this, do you need to:

-Shoot a person, anywhere, as quickly as I can: use a high dpi, learn to switch shoot (ie. quake, tribes, etc).
-Shoot a person in the head, or do something else that requires a high accuracy/no splash damage: Use a low dpi with a big mouse pad (ie. CS, Battlefield, etc).

Also I cannot recommend enough using your sensors default DPI, otherwise you will get minute tiny imperceptible differences in consistent movement.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Goo posted:

This is exactly why we designed the Fusion Engine for the G402 - because low DPI and large movements require moving the mouse faster, in many instances, than the sensor can keep up with.

Goo please, make a big chunky right-hand ergo mouse akin to the Func MS-3 or Mionix Naos. Preferably right in-between the afformentioned mice in size. Stiff scroll wheel please.

Knifegrab posted:

I am not really sure if these games are "designed around lower dpi" per se but it can help. Its basically like this, do you need to:

-Shoot a person, anywhere, as quickly as I can: use a high dpi, learn to switch shoot (ie. quake, tribes, etc).
-Shoot a person in the head, or do something else that requires a high accuracy/no splash damage: Use a low dpi with a big mouse pad (ie. CS, Battlefield, etc).

Also I cannot recommend enough using your sensors default DPI, otherwise you will get minute tiny imperceptible differences in consistent movement.

My competitive-level Tribes friends have far lower sensitivities than the ones I know playing CS, BF, etc. I play 13" 180* in Tribes, 7.5" in BF/Planetside

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

As long as you use any of your sensor's native DPIs you should get consistency. Some older mouse software would let you set DPIs in between native DPIs, where if you set your mouse to 800 (because that's what you were used to) but for whatever reason your mouse's native DPIs were 450, 900, 1800, the actual effect you'd get is "set DPI to 900, then for every 9 counts, only send 8" which means that the result of a small movement depends a little bit on the state of the mouse. Default is definitely a safe way to go, but for some terrible console ports you just can't lower sensitivity enough to use a high default DPI comfortably (if you're used to low sensitivity in other games).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

kaschei posted:

As long as you use any of your sensor's native DPIs you should get consistency. Some older mouse software would let you set DPIs in between native DPIs, where if you set your mouse to 800 (because that's what you were used to) but for whatever reason your mouse's native DPIs were 450, 900, 1800, the actual effect you'd get is "set DPI to 900, then for every 9 counts, only send 8" which means that the result of a small movement depends a little bit on the state of the mouse. Default is definitely a safe way to go, but for some terrible console ports you just can't lower sensitivity enough to use a high default DPI comfortably (if you're used to low sensitivity in other games).

Yeah this is a better right up than my explanation. Regardless try and figure out what the natives are and keep it there.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Yeah my 180 degree turn for FPS games is 1 inch and it's perfectly fine, headshotting and all. Haven't played CS competitively since 2006 though, so maybe the competitive skill ceiling has increased. In the end, just use whatever sensitivity and DPI you like and don't worry about how the pros do it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So what's the G402's native redolution? 4000 DPI?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

So what's the G402's native redolution? 4000 DPI?
I think when it came out it turned out that the 80dpi steps the software allows you to make are all between native resolutions, with no artificial jitter.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

kaschei posted:

I think when it came out it turned out that the 80dpi steps the software allows you to make are all between native resolutions, with no artificial jitter.

This is correct. All values available in the SW are native. There is no filter driver for G402. The driver that it uses is the standard Windows HID mouse driver.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Goo posted:

This is correct. All values available in the SW are native. There is no filter driver for G402. The driver that it uses is the standard Windows HID mouse driver.

Is that true for the G502 as well?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Goo posted:

The pre-defined commands in each profile are based on the default controls in that game's manual. Creating commands and defining the target executable are the time-saving actions we take in creating profiles. We do not pre-assign commands to mouse or keyboard controls in LGS.

Aha ok, that makes more sense. The way it's written it makes it sound like an SC2 profile would include buttons pre-assigned to some editor's choice of commands or something.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The G502 also does not have a filter driver.

We go back and forth on whether to pre-assign commands and always go back to no, because we don't want to dictate how we think you should play the game. Ultimately the benefit from macro keys comes from finding ways that they can make your personal gameplay experience more efficient.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Goo, do you guys have plans to make any wider mice or mice with removable shells like the g9x? The g502 is pretty close to ideal in features and layout but holy hell does it give me hand cramps. The g9x wide option was amazing and I haven't found a comparable mouse since my g9x broke. I'm currently using a Corsair m95 for the shape but even this is just slightly narrower than I'd like and I find myself claw gripping it in somewhat strange ways to make it comfortable.

I've tried the Func and Naos but I'm not a palm grip person and trying to claw both of those is awkward in different ways.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Goo posted:

We go back and forth on whether to pre-assign commands and always go back to no, because we don't want to dictate how we think you should play the game. Ultimately the benefit from macro keys comes from finding ways that they can make your personal gameplay experience more efficient.

Yeah that makes sense. On the one hand I was thinking "oh great! i don't have to spend all this time configuring what some editor thinks is a good button set up" but I could see how someone else would dislike that. I was mostly confused by the verbage in the app - I think when I was reading, it sounded like the profiles were pre-set, not the commands on the left side.

edit: I'm also digging the G602. It basically feels like a gaming performance MX and that's great by me! I'm not used to so many buttons on the side though - 6 is a bit overwhelming :)

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

o muerte posted:

Goo, do you guys have plans to make any wider mice or mice with removable shells like the g9x? The g502 is pretty close to ideal in features and layout but holy hell does it give me hand cramps. The g9x wide option was amazing and I haven't found a comparable mouse since my g9x broke. I'm currently using a Corsair m95 for the shape but even this is just slightly narrower than I'd like and I find myself claw gripping it in somewhat strange ways to make it comfortable.

I've tried the Func and Naos but I'm not a palm grip person and trying to claw both of those is awkward in different ways.

I cannot comment on future product development plans.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
What kind of crazypants land am i living in where the g502 is cheaper than the g402? Is this real?

https://www.komplett.dk/logitech-g502-proteus-core/810392

https://www.komplett.dk/logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-fps/818931

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Goo posted:

I cannot comment on future product development plans.

Of course, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt for us to openly talk about the possibilities, right?

Like o muerte, I really like the G502 (I'm using it for Destiny on the PS4), but my desktop's G9X with the wide grip is still quite a bit more comfortable. A G502 with the shape of the G9x wide grip (and without that gigantic glowing blue G, ideally) would be a day one buy for me. poo poo, I'd get four of them for all my work and home computers.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Instant Grat posted:

What kind of crazypants land am i living in where the g502 is cheaper than the g402? Is this real?

https://www.komplett.dk/logitech-g502-proteus-core/810392

https://www.komplett.dk/logitech-g402-hyperion-fury-fps/818931

I grabbed a g502 for 492DKK no postage last week.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/mus/logitech-hyperion-fury-g402-id-8486451.aspx?q=g402

The price graph shows it should be lower, but you're getting screwed by postage then.

I think lack of supply might be pushing the price, once proshop get stock again they might force the price down.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hamburger Test posted:

I grabbed a g502 for 492DKK no postage last week.

http://www.edbpriser.dk/mus/logitech-hyperion-fury-g402-id-8486451.aspx?q=g402

The price graph shows it should be lower, but you're getting screwed by postage then.

I think lack of supply might be pushing the price, once proshop get stock again they might force the price down.

I ended up just ordering it from some Korean seller on ebay. $61 US with free shipping, and then I'll just deal with it taking a week or three to get here.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goo posted:

It would be cool to have profiles with pre-assigned commands available for download, or even selectable via checkbox. "Use Logitech's recommendations" or "Use your own setup". I'm unsure how to quantify the ROI of such an effort, but sometimes I don't want to spend 30 minutes tinkering with controls: I just want to get in for my 15 minutes and see that M4 is "use object" or whatever.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My Mionix 8200 is giving up the ghost on its middle mouse button after about a year. How often do you guys find yourself replacing your mice? Is there a good palm grip mouse out there that doesn't wear out and is also good? I require convex right side. Concave right side bugs me. I am a Mionix/R.A.T. type of person with regards to the right side of the mouse but both of those mice have shown to not be prepared for the long haul.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

fookolt posted:

Of course, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt for us to openly talk about the possibilities, right?

Eh, I'm thinking it might actually hurt. If speculation and 'what if' turns into an actual product and someone happens to find out that Goo looked like he was talking about the future G612x and the wrong people see it, it's probably really bad for him. I think it's pretty hard to play the speculation game without potentially putting oneself into a really awkward position.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Eh, I'm thinking it might actually hurt. If speculation and 'what if' turns into an actual product and someone happens to find out that Goo looked like he was talking about the future G612x and the wrong people see it, it's probably really bad for him. I think it's pretty hard to play the speculation game without potentially putting oneself into a really awkward position.

Totally agree. Logitech is a public company, and the SEC doesn't look fondly on such things, even apart from the NDAs employees have.

Tl;dr be nice to Goo.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Nah, people can be mean to me if they want. OCN is proof of that. And honestly sometimes I don't agree with product decisions I've made, so it could very well be warranted.

You're right, though, that keeping my job requires that I not contribute to discussions about product concepts beyond thanking people for their suggestion and assuring them their feedback will be taken into consideration.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
My suggestion and feedback is that Logitech needs to make a right-hand ergonomic palm grip mouse with somewhere to put my ring/pinky fingers.
G402 button layout would be perfect.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Sorry, I meant "for us (not Goo) to openly talk about the possibilities". Of course, if that puts Goo in a bad place, I definitely don't want that and I'll edit my posts.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Absolutely you should feel free to discuss whatever stuff you want. Even if I can't participate, it's these conversations that drive my decision making and that I use as ammo for backing up decisions internally. They're incredibly important to the product development process. My response to o muerte was only in regard to the specific request for future product insight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Horizontal Tree posted:

My suggestion and feedback is that Logitech needs to make a right-hand ergonomic palm grip mouse with somewhere to put my ring/pinky fingers.
G402 button layout would be perfect.

Yeah, like the Func mice but with sweet logitech sensors and decent build quality.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've been looking for a Bluetooth trackpad, for use with a Windows tablet, and I can't seem to find any trackpads that don't either require custom wireless transmitters or otherwise are Mac-only. Another requirement would be that it isn't gigantic. Does anything like that exist?

"Trackpad for a tablet with touch screen?" Sure, sometimes touch is just not precise enough for what I want to do.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
In general a Bluetooth mouse/trackpad is a Bluetooth mouse/trackpad and there is actually nothing Mac-specific about it. Bluetooth trackpads tend not to be marketed to Windows users because plugging in a USB receiver is much less challenging for Windows users than configuring Bluetooth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also every Mac made for quite a while has had Bluetooth standard where in the PC world it's still mostly optional even on nice laptops. Generally you get it because the WiFi chip just happened to do it as well, not because someone actively intended to put Bluetooth in it. On desktops I think Bluetooth is even more rare than Firewire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So my Logitech G5 is starting to die. Completely losing connection to my computer for short moments, or eternity unless I unplug it and plug it back in.

I'd like a mouse possibly a bit larger because I like to palm it and have pretty long fingers, and more buttons. Also I'd like one that actually works with a mouse pad, this thing has never worked with any mouse pad I've tried. Possibly because it is a laser mouse? Or was the g5 just never working with mousepads? Luckily it worked on my desk, but I don't like to use it on the desk because when I clean it the movement feels odd and I have to use a small amount of oil to get the surface feeling right.

I've just been looking at the g502, but I am wondering if there is a better option, maybe cheaper, or similar price.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 17, 2014