Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A hahahah

https://twitter.com/aritzparra/status/520805205479133184/photo/1

A tourist guide in Tiananmen is being targeted by the police because of an umbrella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

caberham posted:

A hahahah

https://twitter.com/aritzparra/status/520805205479133184/photo/1

A tourist guide in Tiananmen is being targeted by the police because of an umbrella

Is this going to turn into one of those weird "The secret police jump you immediately for trying this" things?

I recall that taking a glass coke bottle out in the square and trying to break it will get you stopped immediately because the characters for coke bottle are a nickname for Deng Xiaoping.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Anyways, I think that we can hold on to this many days is a freaking miracle, numbers/morale swell up and down but I believe once the tents are set up, number retention should be up for each night. Even if people do go home, tents won't get cleared out. If I give up and the movement fizzles then everyone is hosed. The leaders of this movement will get a bajillion charges, the remaining 15-20 protesters will get arrested and the morale for democracy movement knocked out. There's talk of doing another one during the Christmas long weekend but honestly, I see this one as make it or break it. We have to go home with something, even if it's a compromise. If occupy civil disobedience won't make the government listen, I don't know what will. That's why I'm trying to show up as long as I can.

I think you've got it backwards. The lack of organization and Elite Marxist Civil Disobedience Mao's Red Book Guerrilla Tactics Insurgent Shifts Manning the Barricades Logistically Distributing Supplies From Each According to His Ability to Each According to His Need Tom Clancy Anti-Tear Gas Goggles Anonymous Guy Fawkes Mask Occupy All Street Hardcore Badass Protest Strategy is what makes the government so shy about trying to break this all up. If the protesters were 20 Bear Gryllses wearing Space Marine Power Armor with meticulously planned and organized crap then the government would be totally fine with taking down that terrorist cell, but the fact that they're a bunch of students and other ordinary folks is what makes them scary. It's one thing if the government takes down the Caberham Power Rangers Anti-Tyranny Squad, it's entirely another if they shoot tear gas at unarmed students and middle aged ladies who wish they could afford houses.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm just thinking of having more organized cleanup crews because all I do is pick up cigarette butts all day long. The ones who sleep overnight are normally the ones doing all the sweeping in the morning. It's already tiring for them sleeping on the streets.

Tom Clancy anti litter terrorist cell sounds amazing. Maybe I should organize one. Mong kok is getting filthy and everyone is not motivated enough to keep it clean. I also met a few kids who are runaways. Mong kok is weird.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

whatever7 posted:

Japanese the language first of all, has a grammar that's complete different from the mainland languages. The Chinese and English parts are the later bolt-on parts of the language, which made Japanese the most complicated language in the world.

Waaaaat? Japanese orthography and grammar are ridiculously regular, the only hard part, assuming you can get used to a language not being like your own (so basically for everyone except Americans) is the Chinese characters.

quote:

Lastly, Japan had Samurai warrior class. China never had a separated military class. Confucian believe the army should be led by the literati. And the China's literati class was not hereditary. Japan's warrior class and feudal warlords made it similar to the European Middle Age. That fits Japan's feudal society and hilly geography. China's dynasties were much more centralized with huge bureaucratic state machines.

It was technically possible for a peasant to become a scholar/official in China. But you're not likely to do very well on the exam studying with non-existent materials while living among illiterates. Meanwhile, it was also unlikely-but-possible to advance in Japan if you kissed and/or kicked the right asses at the right time.

Koramei posted:

I don't even know what to say about the last bit but you realise this could perfectly describe Korean (and maybe Vietnamese, I know nothing about Vietnamese) as well right?

It does perfectly describe Korean.

Vietnamese has about as much Chinese vocabulary as Japanese or Korean. I don't know whether its grammar has been heavily influenced by Chinese or not, though.

For that matter, I don't know if Japanese or Korean were. The big similarity between them and Chinese is the particle systems...did they have that before the Chinese culturally hegemonized all over them? Is it even possible to know?

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
Didn't the Koreans straight up used chinese as the script for their language, until emperor sejong?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Mong kok is weird.

Excuse me. This isn't GBS.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LTf1BT5i4
Methinks thou dost protest too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2IVHEbeAA
Boy do they love the phrase "as soon as possible"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs5G6IsRGyo
There it is again. "as soon as possible."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

goatse.cx posted:

Didn't the Koreans straight up used chinese as the script for their language, until emperor sejong?

Basically, yeah. Sejong had it on the money when he realised it was holding the hell back out of the country's literacy rate.

They still do use chinese characters with the Hanja system, but someone who's actually studied Hangul would have a better idea as to how often they use it. I don't think it's in as common usage as Kanji is for Japan, f'r instance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

whatever7 posted:

Japanese the language first of all, has a grammar that's complete different from the mainland languages.

Are you meaning China here when you say mainland? Korean and Japanese grammar is virtually identical, though both claim their languages are isolates.

WarpedNaba posted:

They still do use chinese characters with the Hanja system, but someone who's actually studied Hangul would have a better idea as to how often they use it. I don't think it's in as common usage as Kanji is for Japan, f'r instance.

Man you gotta go outside more.

Korean doesn't use Chinese characters at all anymore, just hangeul. They adopted hanzi and called them hanja, used that until Sejong and the introduction of hangeul. The upper classes got annoyed at filthy commoners being able to learn to read now, so they got rid of hangeul and used hanja again. Hangeul returns in the 20th century as a mixed script with hanja, and the hanja go away in common use. I believe in the 1980s the last holdout newspapers stopped using them, and now they just don't exist outside of some very minor things like using the characters for small/middle/large to indicate portion sizes on menus. They teach hanja in middle school but few people really learn it, it's just that subject students hate above all others.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a different video. It just seems the same as the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDqspkEKbg

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I will now recap in English

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXO1BtOGaoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cktqRk7mA4

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goatse.cx posted:

The Japanese did too until kana was adopted by everyone. That's one of the reasons books like the Tale of Genji were written by women because they were the only ones using a writing system that allowed for anything more than lovely poetry.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 11, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Just like Japan, HK memes are weird.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

Everyone keeps forgetting the 69th State, Secret Kansas
It's a dumb joke/trivia reference to how technically there are 46 states and 4 commonwealths (Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia), but the distinctions have no actual legal meaning.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
It's definitely not that at all unless me subconscicous has nicked me noggin

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
You could've just won Obscure American Trivia for 400 and walked away, man. :colbert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloodnose posted:

Elite Marxist Civil Disobedience Mao's Red Book Guerrilla Tactics Insurgent Shifts Manning the Barricades Logistically Distributing Supplies From Each According to His Ability to Each According to His Need Tom Clancy Anti-Tear Gas Goggles Anonymous Guy Fawkes Mask Occupy All Street Hardcore Badass Protest Strategy

Mods namechange to EMCDMRBGTISMBLDSFEAHAEAHNTCATGGAGFMOASHBPS pls

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For a couple posters who disagreed that I said Japanese is the most complicated script, go here watch a linguist explained to you why Japanese "the most complicated script" straight from the horse's mouth.
http://youtu.be/fy7QlVsukfQ

FYI, I mentioned it only to support my comment that Japanese is a complete different language from Chinese. This fact was also mentioned in the lecture. I think this has to do with the earliest inhabitant reached to the Japanese islands during last ice age when the sea level was low. That was older than the period when Chinese languages and writing were developed.

There is another lecture for Chinese writing and languages, it clear up some common misconceptions of Chinese, also the professor compared the written to the various Chinese dialects.
http://youtu.be/DE2qDSPjjgo

The lectures are part of "Writing and Civilization: From Ancient Worlds to Modernity" series from The Great Courses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Nobody said Japanese doesn't have the most complicated script; you said language, which is especially weird in this context since the Japanese language's relationship with Chinese so clearly parallels Korean. And I'm curious, what does that even have to do with anything? Having a complicated writing system does not suddenly give you +2 :coal: distinctive culture points or whatever.

And I think we're talking past each other here- of course Japanese is a different language from Chinese (probably because it comes from a region other than China rather than because the descendants of modern Japanese people walked through China five thousand and one years ago* before the Chinese language suddenly poofed into existence out of the sludge though :psyduck:)- but so is Vietnamese, and so is Korean, which you seemed to disagree with? Why the arbitrary line? Why are you even arguing for an arbitrary division in the first place?

*edit: doubt/hope nobody never reads this but I'm looking back and laughing at how bad my old posts were and this particularly stuck out because of how utterly wrong it is -- the modern understanding of the peopling of basically all of East Asia actually does lean on the idea that both the much of the genetic ancestry and languages for Japan and Korea and also Vietnam and most of Southeast Asia largely came out of China along with the spread of agriculture, and actually 5000 years is a not totally off estimate for the common ancestry. Man, I was so convinced otherwise though.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 16, 2022

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

whatever7 posted:

For a couple posters who disagreed that I said Japanese is the most complicated script, go here watch a linguist explained to you why Japanese "the most complicated script" straight from the horse's mouth.

You didn't say "script," you said "language."

That video is not bad, BTW, for anyone who doesn't know anything about Japanese.

That said: there is more than one way to consider complexity. Japanese is probably the most complex in terms of how many characters it uses. Its orthography, though, is almost totally regular for the syllabaries, and pretty regular for kanji. English, bringing bits and pieces of pronunciation and spelling from a bunch of languages, and then mangling them, or not, is in practice more complex than Japanese. That's probably why Japan manifests a much lower rate of dyslexia than the United States. (Though the underlying rate of the biological tendencies toward it is probably similar.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Probably has something to do with attitudes towards disability.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

VideoTapir posted:

. English, bringing bits and pieces of pronunciation and spelling from a bunch of languages, and then mangling them, or not, is in practice more complex than Japanese.

Also due to spelling of many words getting fixed shortly before English speakers likely shifted the pronunciation of misty vowels in words, making a lot of similarly spelled words sound totally different.

But yeah the distinction being drawn between cultures isn't going to get resolved without defining what is meant by a 'Confucian' culture. Preferably in a way that doesn't limit it to China for a period of about 200 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VideoTapir posted:

That video is not bad, BTW, for anyone who doesn't know anything about Japanese.

It is a neat video, I knew some of it but I hadn't seen it systematically described like that before. Worth watching if you have any interest in languages. I love the TTC/TGC material, they produce tons of good stuff.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arglebargle III posted:

Probably has something to do with attitudes towards disability.

It could, but dyslexia is probably the least stigmatized disability in Asia, and the best-supported learning disability.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

whatever7 posted:

FYI, I mentioned it only to support my comment that Japanese is a complete different language from Chinese. This fact was also mentioned in the lecture. I think this has to do with the earliest inhabitant reached to the Japanese islands during last ice age when the sea level was low. That was older than the period when Chinese languages and writing were developed.

There is another lecture for Chinese writing and languages, it clear up some common misconceptions of Chinese, also the professor compared the written to the various Chinese dialects.
http://youtu.be/DE2qDSPjjgo

The lectures are part of "Writing and Civilization: From Ancient Worlds to Modernity" series from The Great Courses.

Got links to the rest of the series?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sirens everywhere, police is clearing poo poo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what is happening?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

caberham posted:

Sirens everywhere, police is clearing poo poo

Cripes, be safe! :ohdear:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Police were removing "their" barricades but were probably just testing the waters and seeing the reaction/rehearsing for clearing the camps for real. They obviously knew what they would come up against, hence the overwhelming numbers of police officers.

Also I think most of us are at work, I'm certainly not at the protests nor have been since Friday night.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Feel the wrath of international backlash you Commies!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
gently caress gently caress gently caress, anti-occupiers are marching down Queensway and police aren't bothering to stop them this time, nor do they have the barriers up. Wonder what is gonna happen by tonight..

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lady Galaga posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress, anti-occupiers are marching down Queensway and police aren't bothering to stop them this time, nor do they have the barriers up. Wonder what is gonna happen by tonight..

We get to see if the protesters drilled use of umbrella stems as pikes well during their week of preparation.

My guess is no, they didn't drill proper umbrella formations.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
gently caress yes, lets get some umbrella sheltrons

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
poo poo is happening big time in Admiralty, I'm going there right now.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
gently caress, I wanna go too. Stay safe, get those fuckin students to use their umbrellas and hold them off!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
It's also a bit late but I think they can probably remove barricades from near gvmt house and direct it towards queensway. I'll head down tonight and help out.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
dota skills finally coming to use irl y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

MrNemo posted:

But yeah the distinction being drawn between cultures isn't going to get resolved without defining what is meant by a 'Confucian' culture. Preferably in a way that doesn't limit it to China for a period of about 200 years.

I usually just lurk the other Asia threads but I'd like to add a note onto the Confucius pile as it concerns Japan since it does have very strong Confucian influences. Probably the one you feel most here is filial piety, which leads into the pension system debacle and a mess of social issues as a result. It never took hold as a full-out religion because shogun warrior culture didn't lend itself to being a courtly sage and monks weren't just gonna drop their zen, but you can't say the influence isn't pervasive here. The basic principles of a social hierarchy are still pretty much the same. I almost want to say it actually got stronger with the Meiji restoration, where education shifted to the forefront and Confucianism reared its head again. So no, you can't say Japan is a Confucian nation like you could say Israel is a Jewish state but it's undeniably there.