Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrifeHira posted:

Thinking about it, this makes sense. They're a fairly large sea power and more or less have hegemony over North America, and they should have a substantially powerful, and growing, economy. Depends on how the Haida's relationship with them develops, whether they grow closer to their Avalonian kin or if they distance themselves. I know the situation China would prefer, and a Ming-friendly Haida is the last thing the Ayiti want.

Probably part of it is just that the Haida were off screen for all of EU4, but do we know if they are friendly with anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Could Ayiti actually be that populated though? Unless they're accepting large scale immigration from Europe like the OTL US did, I've got to imagine large stretches of their territory is very underpopulated.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mantis42 posted:

Could Ayiti actually be that populated though? Unless they're accepting large scale immigration from Europe like the OTL US did, I've got to imagine large stretches of their territory is very underpopulated.

The Ayiti Home Islands (OTL Hispanola, Puerto Rica, Jamaica, and Cuba) are extremely densely populated (I can't but an exact number on it since I'm still tweaking them but in the flavor Jaragua is meant to be one of the most populous cities in the world). The population of the Avalon mainland is broadly similar to the number of POPs you'd see in vanilla V2 (keeping in mind that a lot of the most populous, urbanized parts of the US c. 1836, are in the Lenape Republic)-- there's less migration from the Old World (and the Home Islands) to Avalon than there is OTL, but that's balanced out by a native population that's had a much longer time to recover from smallpox so it all evens out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You'd think migration from the Home Islands to the mainland would be pretty significant, just due to distance.

Oh and by the way hi again guys, I kinda stopped reading the thread when everything got all hopeless there for a while, good job everyone, I'll go ahead and assume Monternos will go down in the history books as the first spark of the revolution

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Florida should be an Honorary Home Island by now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GSD posted:

Florida should be an Honorary Home Island by now.

That's a good point, actually-- Florida should have its POPs adjusted so the demographics a lot more like the island states and less like the rural interior ones.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

That's a good point, actually-- Florida should have its POPs adjusted so the demographics a lot more like the island states and less like the rural interior ones.

Not-New Orleans is also probably a big city, though that is probably more limited to the city than like Florida, where the whole region is probably pretty dense.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

:siren: ByzMod Beta Victoria 2 mod! :siren:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9j763jhm7frt0iz/Victoria%20von%20Habsburg%20Beta%201.0.zip?dl=0

This is pretty rough around the edges-- OOBs are a mess (most of them are just crude approximations cobbled together out of vanilla and GRTW OOBs ZearothK let me steal), events aren't done yet, vanilla events that don't make any sense haven't been removed yet, POP changes were mostly done by gut feeling and probably need to be sanity checked by somebody who knows anything about Victoria 2 at all, etc., etc.

Still, it seems like it works enough that you can play a functional game of Victoria.

:siren: For some reason, the mod will inevitably crash in 1840. Since the exact same thing happens in GRTW mod, and possibly in some other mods with NNM in their DNA (???), I'm officially stumped. Anyway, if that happens, you can just reload your save and the game should progress right through 1840 without a hitch-- let me know if it doesn't.

Also, remember that V2 mods are installed in the mod folder in the Victoria program files, not the documents folder, since that's how Paradox did things in ye olden days.

It also spoils a couple of things that happened between 1827 and 1836-- the Japanese Republic rose again after I rolled "successful coup/revolution" for Japan and Asitelahan lost Crimea after they rolled a lost civil war, as well as various minor industrial things or border changes. Not a big deal, though. The really nerve-wracking stuff that's coming up is happening to us.

I'm especially interested in the following:

1.) Game balance! Especially with respect to China, of course.
2.) How does nationalism fare in the late game? Especially in Byzantium, China, Somalia, and France, since those are our big sprawling multinational empires.
3.) Does the economy work? It seems like it's working to me, but my grasp on the V2 economy is tenuous at best.
4.) Who are the GPs at various points in the game?
5.) Are lots of cores and unaccepted POPs enough to make things happen in Germany, or will I need to churn the pot with events?

I'm going to be playing a full game as the Ayiti because they seem neat and also because I want to see how Europe fares when I'm not, you know, in it. But the more eyeballs there are on this the less likely we are to have things like the celestial empire bonuses or the plague of Ceska Lipas in the third leg of our journey. :v:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 11, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
The Mod constantly crashes for me :(

EDIT:

It gets to adapting history and then falls apart.

It also ignores my setting file command to not be fullscreen.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 11, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I changed like three prestige scores in between testing it and uploading it and now, somehow, the mod went from working perfectly to crashing on loading history! What the gently caress happened? I don't understand. :smith:

lmao i didn't back it up before doing that either since it was just editing a few fields

validator doesn't seem to be finding anything relevant in the history files that could be causing it

i loving give up

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

why do i do this to myself what the hell

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I'm totally stumped, I replaced the files I edited since the mod worked from an older backup and it's still crashing. It's like I pulled out the one jenga stick that made the whole tower fall down and I have no idea where it goes. I don't see anything that could be causing a crash in the validator, but I'm really bad at modding apparently.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am fairly sure there is some cosmic rule where running a LP grants you bad luck with regards to this sort of thing, just because (a small chunk of) the whole internet is watching. :v:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Let's keep mega-China, go with the dice.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rincewind posted:

why do i do this to myself what the hell

Because you're very dedicated to providing Internet strangers with entertainment? :shobon:

Seriously, though, I don't know too much about modding V2 (I'm a boring person who mostly sticks to vanilla), but I do know that for one reason and another it's a hell of a lot more work than modding EU4, unless you're willing to take the lazy route of "Change the names and borders on Vanilla and call it a day"...which unfortunately isn't exactly an option for you here. So don't worry too much about weird stuff happening - far as I know it's part and parcel of any in-depth modding of V2!

My advice would be to take a break for a little time to recover from the frustration of losing all your work, and then hit up the main Paradox thread repeatedly for advice. Plenty of folks willing and able to help out with modding there, after all. Good luck, and don't feel like you absolutely need to shred yourself out with stress for the sake of the Internet!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Rincewind posted:

I'm totally stumped, I replaced the files I edited since the mod worked from an older backup and it's still crashing. It's like I pulled out the one jenga stick that made the whole tower fall down and I have no idea where it goes. I don't see anything that could be causing a crash in the validator, but I'm really bad at modding apparently.

It happens to everyone who ever programs. Your program works perfectly when you are developing and making it, but the moment you show it to someone else it will crash and you then discover it should never have worked to begin with.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Rince, can you clear our your log folder in Victoria 2, try to run the mod and let it crash, then upload the log files for us? I'm sure it will be easy to fix.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

https://www.dropbox.com/s/phxhv2loho9ukit/logs.zip?dl=0

Here are the logs! error.log is tantalizingly blank, however.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the problem is in the history folder. The bad news is, it's in the history folder. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Issue is in the countries folder.

EDIT2:

Narrowing down, it appears to be in one of the countries you played around with on the 7th of October. Going to go one by one until the game breaks.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 11, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

It appears to be LAI - Lai Ang.txt in the history/countries folder.

Edit: More specifically, it's LAI_oob.txt that's causing the crash.

Edit Edit: Well it's definitely something Lai Ang anyway.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 11, 2014

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Zeron posted:

It appears to be LAI - Lai Ang.txt in the history/countries folder.

Edit: More specifically, it's LAI_oob.txt that's causing the crash.

Edit Edit: Well it's definitely something Lai Ang anyway.

Yeah, that is what I found.

Lai Ang is causing all the problems

EDIT: Something in the Lai_Ang OOB that is.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 11, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Victoria really doesn't like it when you put navies in places they shouldn't be. Anyways, here's a fixed version, since Rince is sleeping and people might want to test it while she dreams.

BYZ FIXED (Checksum: BWRB)

I took the liberty of purging out the vanilla/NNM events/decisions, as they could be another source for crashes.

You can avoid the 1840 crash by saving and loading the game. Whatever is causing it within history gets sorted out during the save process.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rincewind posted:

The Ayiti Home Islands (OTL Hispanola, Puerto Rica, Jamaica, and Cuba) are extremely densely populated (I can't but an exact number on it since I'm still tweaking them but in the flavor Jaragua is meant to be one of the most populous cities in the world). The population of the Avalon mainland is broadly similar to the number of POPs you'd see in vanilla V2 (keeping in mind that a lot of the most populous, urbanized parts of the US c. 1836, are in the Lenape Republic)-- there's less migration from the Old World (and the Home Islands) to Avalon than there is OTL, but that's balanced out by a native population that's had a much longer time to recover from smallpox so it all evens out.

So basically the Ayitean Islands (since the Ayiti are the masters and the Carib are a minority folk) is the Japan of Avalon, albeit with most of the interior in the Greater Avalonian Prosperity Sphere? I like it!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
There appears to be a one province USCA surrounded by the glorious Viceroyalty of Habsburg. With the same flag as Habsburg and etc.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ZearothK posted:

Victoria really doesn't like it when you put navies in places they shouldn't be. Anyways, here's a fixed version, since Rince is sleeping and people might want to test it while she dreams.

BYZ FIXED (Checksum: BWRB)

I took the liberty of purging out the vanilla/NNM events/decisions, as they could be another source for crashes.

You can avoid the 1840 crash by saving and loading the game. Whatever is causing it within history gets sorted out during the save process.

God bless,

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Luhood posted:

So basically the Ayitean Islands (since the Ayiti are the masters and the Carib are a minority folk) is the Japan of Avalon, albeit with most of the interior in the Greater Avalonian Prosperity Sphere? I like it!

Honestly i think they're more like the UK, if India were just across the English Channel.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Known issues:

-1840 crash thing.
-Hindustan missing an OOB
-Ayiti should probably start out with some craftsmen so their factories don't all collapse immediately.
-Voters in Byzantium, Japan, China, etc. should be more liberal but I'm not sure where that's defined.
-One province relic of when Habsburg used the UCA tag.
-Shogunate Japan is an unciv
-China shouldn't have cores in Manchuria
-Makassar and Aceh are uncivs.
-Aztec and Iroquois should as partial civs with some reforms (which ones?)

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The AI seems bizarrely unwilling to colonize, especially in the case of Karatgurk. The Scramble for Africa was mostly Ghana's gig (Grey Hunter would be so proud), but at least that actually happened. In my 90% hands off Hawaii game, it is 1897 and Karatgurk's borders are unchanged from the start.

Also, Ayiti's prestige is insane. They have almost twice the prestige of the second most prestigious nation (Lai Ang, interestingly).

(Also Ayiti dominions are listed as Lai Ang wherever for reasons I cannot determine. This did not go away even when Anacaona became a GP and so achieved independence)

Edit: also Lenape seems to be missing an order of battle.

GSD fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 11, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

The AI seems bizarrely unwilling to colonize, especially in the case of Karatgurk. The Scramble for Africa was mostly Ghana's gig (Grey Hunter would be so proud), but at least that actually happened. In my 90% hands off Hawaii game, it is 1897 and Karatgurk's borders are unchanged from the start.

Also, Ayiti's prestige is insane. They have almost twice the prestige of the second most prestigious nation (Lai Ang, interestingly).

(Also Ayiti dominions are listed as Lai Ang wherever for reasons I cannot determine. This did not go away even when Anacaona became a GP and so achieved independence)

Hahaha, poo poo, I think I accidentally left AYI_ADJ as "Lai Ang" somehow.

Can you post a lategame map?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Something I've noticed is that the USCA holds a single province in Habsburg, but has the same flag and map color. More bugs later.

e; Played a hands off as the pope up until the 1840 crash, here's what I noticed.

-Tripoli starts at war with the Ottomans
-Lots of early wars due to nations holding other people's cores
-AI Byz picked a fight with Bulgaria and got stomped by France, losing Piedmont, then got dogpiled out of GP status. Again.
-GB picked a fight with France over Cornwall and lost another bit of England
-Manchuria dies instantly because China starts with cores on them
-Uncivs next to civs get mauled really quickly

e2;

-Denmark has Bornholm but gets annexed really fast
-Norway still exists in the Faroes
-Scandinavian cores on Iceland mean they get taken out pretty fast too

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 11, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

Hahaha, poo poo, I think I accidentally left AYI_ADJ as "Lai Ang" somehow.

Can you post a lategame map?

Sure thing. As noted, this is an 1897 map, so while great wars have been unlocked, none have occurred.

List of GPs: China, Ayiti (China being the top is a recent thing, and they're only beating Ayiti by about 50 points, see: Ayiti's prestige of 658) (Ayiti has the second largest industry and military too, after China), Lai Ang, East Hindustan (now Omni-Directional Hindustan), Great Britain, Japan, France (they were 3rd or so for most of the game, but a series of huge anarco-liberal revolts utterly shattered them, though that government was soon to be replaced by a communist one) (they still haven't lost Germany though), and Anacaona.

Random other notes because uploading the map took a lot of time and so I had time to write up important (and not so important) commentary:

China's industrial dominance is a fairly recent thing, but they've been the largest military easily for the whole game. Have not been seriously challenged by any war or rebellion that I noticed. They did annex Manchuria, but their cores there are an already identified issue.

Crises have focused on Mexico (early game, mostly fizzled, though once the Aztecs got fully occupied by the Haida in a crisis war) and Russia.

Austria wins ugliest borders award.

Da Qin has been stable and has remained an absolute monarchy, much to my amusement considering its description in the last state of the world.

Byzantium had a revolving door of governments for awhile, between absolute monarchies and bourgeois dictatorships mostly. The communists seem here to stay though.

Venice needs more cores, it has gone independent twice but only gets Venetia and Gorizia.

Early on Hungary's dominion over Lithuania got flipped, so that Hungary was a Lithuanian puppet. Not sure how that occurred.

The Lenape were dogpiled by an Ayiti-Lai Ang coalition early on. It was tremendously sad. It also had the interesting side effect of the Iroquois gaining land (the Lenape had just began their own invasion of the Iroquois when Lai Ang decided to expand its Zheng He Bay Colony)

Also the Shogun of the Kurils.

I also noticed Anacaona is no longer Lai Ang Anacaona. I guess the adjective being retained after its independence was a separate bug, fixed by my reloading the file. :v:

Only notable thing to happen since the map was taken: France gave Aquitaine to Lai Ang as part of a crisis settlement (again a Russian crisis).

Also, why are V2 maps such large files? Sheesh.

Edit: non-stupidly big map added.

GSD fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 11, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GSD posted:

Also, why are V2 maps such large files? Sheesh.

Because they are saved as .bmp and should really be converted to .jpg or .png before uploading them anywhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

That map image is broken. :smith:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeron posted:

Because they are saved as .bmp and should really be converted to .jpg or .png before uploading them anywhere.

I'm...Not sure why I did not notice that. Silly me.

Rincewind posted:

That map image is broken. :smith:

Disappointing, considering it took so long to upload.

Wait. I know why. Again, silly me. Just a second. (though I might as well upload a non-crazy size one anyway).

Edit: Done. Apologies for delay, I am a moron on the internet, etc. I tried to make it way harder than I should have, mainly.

GSD fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 11, 2014

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
1840 is when the first new techs become available, but I don't see how that would cause a crash.

Other than that, yeah, It looks ok, and China having south- east Asia uncored really helps the economic situation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GSD posted:

Byzantium had a revolving door of governments for awhile, between absolute monarchies and bourgeois dictatorships mostly. The communists seem here to stay though.
Sounds promising. :unsmigghh:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sindai posted:

Sounds promising. :unsmigghh:

I think the leading cause of that particular power vacuum was how they tried to annex New Bulgaria like, three separate times. Each time it resulted in France beating them badly.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GSD posted:

I think the leading cause of that particular power vacuum was how they tried to annex New Bulgaria like, three separate times. Each time it resulted in France beating them badly.

This has happened in all my test games, too. Guess the AI is kind of dumb.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

This has happened in all my test games, too. Guess the AI is kind of dumb.

Proof of the divine blessing the Bogomilists carry, evidently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GSD posted:

Proof of the diabolic blessing the Bogomilists carry, evidently.

Naturally, the servants of satan have the devil's own luck.

• Locked thread