Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Um be careful I don't like going to the doctors but that was really pushing it. I'm glad you're on the way now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
What is so wrong about having silver duct tape on your convertible top anyway?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just saw a commercial for a prescription med that said it was "the official blood thinner of nascar"

Every time i think the US couldn't possibly be more hosed up, it finds a way to surprise me.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, I'm in a better place now. Datacenter operations tech doing breakfix and running miles of cabling for mad ducats. I spent a decade in kitchens, and that was enough to wreck me financially and physically.

Also, holy poo poo Rockauto. They managed to beat Amazon Prime for shipping speed. :catstare:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that kind of career shift? Did you go back to school at some point, or did you have some sort of experience prior to working in kitchens that made you qualified for your job?

I'm trying to figure out a new career direction and while I have a degree, it isn't exactly in a really broad field (earth and atmospheric science). Environmental has kicked me in the beanbag one time too many and I'm so loving done. I know enough about computers and such that I could do basic IT-type stuff, but I have no way to prove it to a potential employer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

bandman posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that kind of career shift? Did you go back to school at some point, or did you have some sort of experience prior to working in kitchens that made you qualified for your job?

I'm trying to figure out a new career direction and while I have a degree, it isn't exactly in a really broad field (earth and atmospheric science). Environmental has kicked me in the beanbag one time too many and I'm so loving done. I know enough about computers and such that I could do basic IT-type stuff, but I have no way to prove it to a potential employer.

I was in a similar boat. Unrelated degree and computer skills but nothing significant to put on my resume. Had a hard time getting any interviews for IT positions (though the job market in my area at the time may have been a more significant factor) and when I did there were always a bunch of people with much more experience going for the same position. Ended up going back to school for another bachelor's degree* while doing internships/co-ops until I got hired on full time.

Internships and co-op positions are a great way to get your foot in the door at large companies that would otherwise barely take one look at your resume before tossing it the trash. They can also, possibly, allow you to bypass the usual entry level IT jobs (computer janitor).

However, going back to school is a pretty big gamble. I basically put my life on hold for 3 years and paid $20,000 to get another piece of paper and, more importantly, my foot in a few doors. I would probably start with staffing agencies/recruiters and see if you can get any decent positions paying a livable wage before going the school route. Experience is generally more important than a degree for IT jobs (particularly with smaller companies) so unless you get super lucky you're probably going to have to start at the bottom and work your way up regardless of what you do.

*Was going to be a masters but the timing on some of the classes didn't work out and I would have had to quit my part time gig which was too risky at the time. Also would have taken at least one if not two more semesters.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
For those who are 'nerds' and have hobby experience but no degree or professional experience, I recommend learning sql and doing a Report Writer/SSRS Developer -> BI Developer/DBA track. You'll start out doing IT bitchwork, but after a couple years when you're on your 2nd/3rd job in the field you'll suddenly be the expert.

It's hard work, but it's not too shabby.

edit: Or as I sign my tickets. Works for me, wont fix.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Is it wrong for me to not give the slightest fraction of a poo poo about owning a house? I couldn't even afford a near-condemned Groverhaus of course, but I just don't care. Of course things like marriage, a """real""" career, etc are filed under "things other people experience" as well, so gently caress it. I'm making great progress on my Steam backlog and I get to work with dangerous chemicals/million dollar tools in a cleanroom, good enough.

On the topic of pizza, I've eaten undercooked frozen pizzas that tasted better than Little Caesar's (Presented By Amsoil) :barf:

Honestly, it's what keeps me in the depths of the midwest. Out here, I can afford to own a few acres outside of town eventually, and will probably end up with something like a small house or mobile home and a pole barn for all the poo poo I do.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bandman posted:

Worked my way up. Moved to Texas for a girl, couldn't find anything decent so I applied to Geek Squad with Best Buy. I've been working on computers as a hobby since I was a kid, so that worked out. Had a buddy who worked for a datacenter down there and got me an interview, and I rock at interviews. Other than that, just worked my rear end off. No certs, no degree, just skill and willingness to do the loving job right the first time instead of half-assing it.

The gig I have now should make my resume. After a couple years here, and getting my A+/Server+/Network+ certs up to date, I should have no problem getting datacenter work anywhere.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God drat, I lost my earrings a while back and never got around to replacing them. My ears closed from 5/8" to a hair below 0G in about a month. Just got some 7/16" tapers and rammed them through thinking that my ears had a lot more give to them than they did :stonk:

I'm dying here. It's going to take so loving long to get past 1/2" and 9/16" to get back to my old size

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

I bet you could make a bitchin' neck ring out of some old copper tubing while you are at it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Viggen posted:

I bet you could make a bitchin' neck ringapadravya out of some old copper tubing while you are at it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

:catstare: :stonklol:

MMyeah.

I don't get you kids putting holes in things that aren't, just so you can catch it on something else and make it hurt more. Flappy bits around mobile equipment AND loving NESTING SPIDERS.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just had to google that at 6am, didn't I.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yesterday it was sadness boners. Today it's STR getting put quarantine and things shoved through cocks.

Why.

Get better, STR, I hope the experimental treatments work.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/OAvOWRl.jpg)

So somehow I managed to convince work to let me become owner of the Brush Cutter graveyard. Should be able to frankenstein SOMETHING out of this mess. Theres one thats missing its entire power head with a tag of "Spark plug wire broken" on it! :stare:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man I'm so loving done with everything. I had a total meltdown last night. IDK what the gently caress is wrong with me but I can't take it anymore.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man I'm so loving done with everything. I had a total meltdown last night. IDK what the gently caress is wrong with me but I can't take it anymore.

Have you considered therapy? It's made a drastic difference in my life.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ugh...not only did Little Caesars give me bad flavors and indigestion, but they also gave me nightmares.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

For those who are 'nerds' and have hobby experience but no degree or professional experience, I recommend learning sql and doing a Report Writer/SSRS Developer -> BI Developer/DBA track. You'll start out doing IT bitchwork, but after a couple years when you're on your 2nd/3rd job in the field you'll suddenly be the expert.

It's hard work, but it's not too shabby.

edit: Or as I sign my tickets. Works for me, wont fix.

I swear to god though, you'd better learn to document your code too, or I will burn your system alive. I've had to debug one too many SQL report systems with undocumented code....

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand :colbert:

Kidding. I know I'm going to be the poor bastard debugging my code in 2 weeks when I have completely forgotten how I wrote it, so I comment the poo poo out of it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
More importantly, keep your comments up to date. It sucks when you think you know how something works and then you find out that the comments are wrong and out of date.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

I just saw a commercial for a prescription med that said it was "the official blood thinner of nascar"

Every time i think the US couldn't possibly be more hosed up, it finds a way to surprise me.

I mean if you're gonna do that why not add a bit of 'viscosity' into your lovely advertisement?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Didnt know they advertised Jim Beam on tv

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Goober Peas posted:

Ugh...not only did Little Caesars give me bad flavors and indigestion, but they also gave me nightmares.

Poop city?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I had nightmares just from reading their nutritional info one time.
"well hey that's not actually that baOHGOD THAT'S FOR ONE loving SLICE"
And coincidentally, my boss' monthly kool-aid installment was LC's yestersay. Didn't bring lunch because he said he was getting pizzas in, went hungry because my health is lovely enough already.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 11, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I brought my dog into work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can't wait to get home and drive my buddy's 2014 Mazda3 with the 2.5L.

RIP lovely Altima with your awful CVT that rubber bands and didn't allow me to neutral drop.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

goatse guy posted:

Have you considered therapy? It's made a drastic difference in my life.

Protip: get help BEFORE burning all your bridges.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
sometimes part of helping yourself is burning all your bridges

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Not really, more like acid reflux city :cripes:

Speaking of which, did STR survive the El?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

sometimes part of helping yourself is burning all your bridges

This is truth. Get away from the poo poo that's causing the issues.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Depends on how far you go in pursuit of burnt bridges. A convicted felon has a better chance of employment than I do.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I took a greyhound bus 1000 miles away without telling anyone where I was going with nothing more than the clothes on my back more or less in my pursuit of burning down bridges

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fucknag posted:

The full list of "things I care about having a house for" begins and ends with "a garage". If I didn't care about working on my own poo poo (or had the money to toss it to the shop and say "fix it" and drive a rental for a week) nothing about homeownership would appeal to me at all.
This is why I bought a house. I just wanted a garage I could safely store vehicles/tools and work on stuff

some texas redneck posted:

But yeah. Should have gotten medical attention a lot sooner. I loving hate going to the doctor in general, I'm THAT GUY that only goes moments before dying.
I'm the same way, it's not good and it's something I'm trying to get better about. Doctors and hospitals are just so lovely...but so is dying. Hope they put you on some good drugs and fixed you.

I apologize for the random snapchat dumps over the past couple days and likely tomorrow. Take a bunch then purposely fail to send since I have limited data. Get back to wifi and dump them. There will be lots and lots of car photos tomorrow. After I finish my laps I'll hang around for a while if the weather isn't poo poo.

Reserved a BMW 1-series, got a VW Scirocco...not that disappointed really. Always wanted to see how they drive. They drive like a Golf with harder springs. This one has the TSi engine but not sure which size so between 120 and 210hp. Pulls ok once you get some RPM and boost built up. Handles good but likes to understeer like all VW's. Beat on it for a while on some wet, narrow, curvy roads and it does pretty good. Think the 1-series could have been more fun but that's ok.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4706539895.html

Taking bets on how long this lasts before it pukes random parts. Beater 7=best 7

Edit: pretty much came up with the best idea. Red neck bmw.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 11, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I just found the list of people that added me on snapchat. Not sure who most of you are yet unless the name was close to your forums name. Gonna be fun figuring out whos who.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

I just found the list of people that added me on snapchat. Not sure who most of you are yet unless the name was close to your forums name. Gonna be fun figuring out whos who.

gently caress it, just do what I do and spam everyone. Hope y'all enjoy dogs!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

goatse guy posted:

Thats what I did with a video of me starting the C10 just now so people could figure out who it was. I think I sent it to you, too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Your dog is awesome. Keep em coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I think Im babysitting my step moms 3 legged chihuahua today so expect some tripod snaps everyone.

• Locked thread