Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't care how true to the original it is, Sazh owns hard in the english version and I'd probably hate him if he was just a wacky comedy man straight up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

English Sazh has plenty of comedic elements and events to him, anyway, especially in the next two games.

Also I'm throwing my hat in with ImpAtom here. There are a lot of good arguments against the plot of the 13 series but the few silly weird words they use pale in comparison to other games in the series and in other fantasy games/books in general.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, I'd like to see this carried over to Final Fantasy XII.

Look at all those races that could have simpler names. Why are you using Viera when you could call them Rabbitkin? Why bother with Seeq when they can just be Pigmen. Urutan-Yensa? Sandpeople often travel in single file to hide their numbers.

Edit:

That came off more passive-aggressive than I like, which I apologize for.

It's ok, I didn't take it that way. I agree that just totally using generic language isn't a great way to handle things - your earlier example of Destiny points this out well. "Jedi" is even a great example of a word that is totally made up and kind of thrown at the audience but somehow Star Wars pulls it off pretty well. I think a big part of that is the foreign aspect of the setting. Several character speak made-up alien languages so an important but made-up word isn't totally out of place. Scifi and fantasy also had already set a precedent for different races getting different names. This is why the Ivalice races and chocobos and moogles work alright, hence why no one bats an eye about the Viera.

I think Star Wars, LotR, and Star Trek are good examples that explain why they get a way with this better as well as the Ivalice games. They all have many species/races with their own languages, including the Viera. Everyone knows Tolkien devised an entire ridiculous language for the elves. Same for Trekkies and the Klingons. In 13, the apostrophe-laden names hint at another language due to their foreign structure, maybe one the fal'Cie spoke in ancient times or something. It's very reminiscent of the romanization of middle eastern and African languages. But based on my play through from years ago, I don't remember any other unusual language constructs in the game. Everyone speaks the same language, and important and even strange old places have oddly common English names. So the 'cie thing stands out as unexplained and half-baked.

I think that the point someone made about pacing actually getting in the way of the story-telling early on by mixing action and exposition is fair as well.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 11, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hated that apostrophe. I didn't have any trouble remembering it I just hated the apostrophe. I'd have been happier with Lacie, Falcie and Cieth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm also never going to defend silly poo poo like SOLDIER (they're soldiers but special so caps, see?) or SeeD, which still slightly annoys me to this day because I feel forced to wonder whether it's pronounced "seed" or "see-dee" because they thought naming the child soldiers just "Seeds" would look sillier.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just pronounce SOLDIER enthusiastically because it's all caps.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone who got the visual glitch with Lighting's hair and eyelashes ever get that fixed? Just popped up for me and it's driving me nuts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I'm also never going to defend silly poo poo like SOLDIER (they're soldiers but special so caps, see?) or SeeD, which still slightly annoys me to this day because I feel forced to wonder whether it's pronounced "seed" or "see-dee" because they thought naming the child soldiers just "Seeds" would look sillier.

The actual reason for SOLDIER is that it's just the English word "Soldier" in Japanese so they had to figure out some way to differentiate it and the regular word soldier. So they went for all-caps. Seed is the same thing (I'm not sure why they went for SeeD instead.)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Beef Waifu posted:

I just pronounce SOLDIER enthusiastically because it's all caps.

I do this too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I remember liking Fran's voice, is it considered bad here?

No, a lot of people like Fran's voice. I just really didn't dig the accent or the monotone she almost always spoke with.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

I just don't like that they wasted Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn on a minor character like Hope's mom.

They could have even had her sing the translated theme song! ...if they had bothered to translate the song...

Wait, Sunleth Waterscape wasn't FFXIII's theme song?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

I remember liking Fran's voice, is it considered bad here?

I thought the voice fit quite well. The kneejerk reaction to the character is that she's a bunny girl with a visible rear end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sure there was something else being jerked as well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Nihilarian posted:

I hated that apostrophe. I didn't have any trouble remembering it I just hated the apostrophe. I'd have been happier with Lacie, Falcie and Cieth.

Yeah, this is me as well. The names themselves aren't any worse than what we typically get, but those apostrophes annoyed the hell out of me because they just didn't feel natural.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wait, Sunleth Waterscape wasn't FFXIII's theme song?

Yeah, FFXIII's theme song is sung all the time in the english version, in english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxSXm8qGjS8

They just had some weird compulsion and put "my hands" in the game and in all the marketing. I think the thinking probably went something like "well we got a Jpop singer to sing a Jpop song for the game so let's get a song from somebody who's popular in the west to sing in the english version" but somehow forgot that the Jpop song was actually a song specifically made for the game and not just some random bullshit.

edit: guess I was wrong. That song I linked is probably considered the "main theme" for FF13 but there actually was a Jpop song that wasn't in the english version that I didn't know about. I'm dumb too because I remember watching the trailer with that song in it over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TauG36TbeSc

Best Jpop song in a FF game is still the original, though:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcW0oiLKHg

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 11, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did anyone who got the visual glitch with Lighting's hair and eyelashes ever get that fixed? Just popped up for me and it's driving me nuts.

It's an AA thing. I had mine off.

edit: Alright, this whole save thing is getting stupid. Literally as it follows:

-Save point, walk to checkpoint
-Would you like to save
-cutscene
-would you like to save
-cutscene
-would you like to save
-switch to 2 completely different characters
-start next to a checkpoint

Tae fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 11, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mischitary posted:

Best Jpop song in a FF game is still the original, though:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcW0oiLKHg

I prefer "1000 Words" myself.

X-2's soundtrack is the weakest in the series but it has several standout songs that can rival any other FF OST. It's just that they are few and far between.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

NikkolasKing posted:

No, a lot of people like Fran's voice. I just really didn't dig the accent or the monotone she almost always spoke with.

My wife has a voice crush on Fran, I enjoy it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

You literally cannot know how the protagonists were saved in the end without the sequel or the datalogs. "Etro" was never mentioned once in a cutscene, let alone "Etro is the one who saved your asses or else you all be dead."

Seriously, I did pay attention. I actually enjoyed XIII's story up until towards the ending. Well, I didn't hate it. But then I got online and said "so this is what I understood about the plot" and got a big huge post full of "WRONG!!!" in response. Because gently caress if I knew a thing about Lindzei or Pulse (the being) or any of that.

This is my problem with the ending as well. The actual story is only present in the datalogs, so you won't know what really happened during the ending even with the enormous number of cutscenes. Since the story is told from the characters' perspective, even they have no idea what's happening, since they didn't realise that Etro intervened at the last moment.

You'd think they could have cut away at some point to show Etro observing the main characters, becoming concerned about what will happen when they reach orphan, and step into a gate that looks like the one behind the final boss. It's still a poo poo ending since the characters didn't do anything special but fight a lot, then a Goddess appears from nowhere to fix everything, but at least you'd know what happened without having to read through a bunch of pretentiously-written story summaries.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still can't get over that our heroes did exactly what the villain wanted. Only they didn't have the excuse of Kuja or Kefka manipulating them, they just straight up did what the villain wanted even after he repeatedly told them they were doing what he wanted.

Bart: Destroy Orphan and Cocoon along with it!
Party: No! Destroying the fal'Cie is our real Focus! (seriously, they said that quite a few times) Oh wait, Orphan is a fal'Cie and now he/she/it is here and we have to fight back or die and now it's dead and Cocoon is destroyed.
Etro: I'll save you!
Party: Well it sure is nice you exist Goddess Never Mentioned Before or else we would have killed everyone on Cocoon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FF13's Cie-words aren't confusing. They just sound dumb to actually say or hear.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't get over that our heroes did exactly what the villain wanted. Only they didn't have the excuse of Kuja or Kefka manipulating them, they just straight up did what the villain wanted even after he repeatedly told them they were doing what he wanted.

Party: No! Destroying the fal'Cie is our real Focus! (seriously, they said that quite a few times) Oh wait, Orphan is a fal'Cie and now he/she/it is here and we have to fight back or die and now it's dead and Cocoon is destroyed.
Party: Well it sure is nice you exist Goddess Never Mentioned Before or else we would have killed everyone on Cocoon.

Actually it's Fang and Vanille saving everyone on Cocoon. Etro just turned everyone back to normal so we could have a happy ending which was undone in the sequel anyway. It was still stupid admittedly. "We aren't killing Oprhan / everyone on Cocoon because you told us to, but because WE DECIDED TO DO IT OUTSELVES. Which means we win, somehow."

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I think Star Wars, LotR, and Star Trek are good examples that explain why they get a way with this better as well as the Ivalice games. They all have many species/races with their own languages, including the Viera. Everyone knows Tolkien devised an entire ridiculous language for the elves. Same for Trekkies and the Klingons. In 13, the apostrophe-laden names hint at another language due to their foreign structure, maybe one the fal'Cie spoke in ancient times or something. It's very reminiscent of the romanization of middle eastern and African languages. But based on my play through from years ago, I don't remember any other unusual language constructs in the game. Everyone speaks the same language, and important and even strange old places have oddly common English names. So the 'cie thing stands out as unexplained and half-baked.

I remember that FF11 did this pretty well. There'd be the occasional wacky name complete with gratuitous apostrophe (Ro'Maeve, Pso'Xja, Eald'narche, etc.), but as you progressed through the story it became clear that that sort of name meant that the person or place was somehow related to or named by the Zilart (requisite ancient advanced civilization). Plus, of course, those sorts of names weren't being thrown at you early on or used for fundamental concepts. They were mostly seen in endgame areas and missions, circa the first two or so expansions at least.

NikkolasKing posted:

That was so terrible. The game built up the trip to Pulse such that I expected the party would find another way out of their dilemma (other than 'do what the bad guy wants' or 'give up and turn into a mindless zombie'). But no, it's all a waste of time and nothing is accomplished. So they decide they have no choice but to do exactly what the bad guy wants and hope that everything works out somehow. And then it does because of literally divine intervention. Great plotting, guys.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It's ok, I didn't take it that way. I agree that just totally using generic language isn't a great way to handle things - your earlier example of Destiny points this out well. "Jedi" is even a great example of a word that is totally made up and kind of thrown at the audience but somehow Star Wars pulls it off pretty well. I think a big part of that is the foreign aspect of the setting. Several character speak made-up alien languages so an important but made-up word isn't totally out of place. Scifi and fantasy also had already set a precedent for different races getting different names. This is why the Ivalice races and chocobos and moogles work alright, hence why no one bats an eye about the Viera.

A few points on presentation. Naming races is easy. You see the race, you hear the name. The job is done. It doesn't matter if the name is completely made up, the audience has all they need to connect the dots. Jedi is a bit more complicated, but it is the same principle. The way Jedi are presented are with icons. Lightsabers. Finally, they are fairly consistent in design, being some sort of magic monk/samurai archetype or something. They are visually, and thematically distinct from the rest of the world and internally consistent with eachother. The series then handles things that are not concrete very bluntly. "The Force". Nothing made up, and it says all the audience needs to know about it by using words they know. Since they can not receive a physical image to mentally catalog, the name has to do all of the work.

Having a visual reference for the verbal reference is important. If you can not give the audience a very clear and distinct visual image to catalog the new word with your fantasy name will not stick. l'Cie technically has the brands, but l'Cie is a bit more of a fantasy description for how those branded relate to the rest of the world. Relationships are purely 'imaginary'. Cataloging an imaginary word with imaginary 'stuff' doesn't work out. Fal'Cie have a different problem in that visual design in the series takes an overdesigned hyper-fantasy approach to the point that little in the world is visually distinct. So while the situation with Fal'Cie is better, the visual design of the games didn't help the audience with a distinct mental image to catalog with the term. Coupled with being near identical to l'Cie and you get a confused audience.

Djehuti
Feb 25, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The Goddess is mentioned in the story, after you beat Barthandelus in Oerba, there's the Cieth stone, that says the Goddess stopped Fang destroying Cocoon when she turned into Ragnarok the first time. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned other times as well, didn't they say that Etro sent the Eidolons?

Also with everyone talking about Cid dying then coming back, he was just turned to crystal. Him being back was kinda pointless, but using him as Primarch set off the Cavalry to attack Eden so it wasn't an entire waste of time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Actually it's Fang and Vanille saving everyone on Cocoon. Etro just turned everyone back to normal so we could have a happy ending which was undone in the sequel anyway. It was still stupid admittedly. "We aren't killing Oprhan / everyone on Cocoon because you told us to, but because WE DECIDED TO DO IT OUTSELVES. Which means we win, somehow."

I think the idea was that they thought Barthandelus was going to betray Orphan but when they get to Orphan's Cradle, they realize that every Cocoon Fal'Cie was in on Barthandelus' plan, at which point the party just threw up their hands and went "welp, may as well kill Orphan now".

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So this is my 2nd play through of XIII and I gotta say that I am surprisingly enjoying it a lot more than my first time. I think it is because I know what to expect from the story, landscapes, characters, voice acting, etc. So far, none of the complaints I had previously are bothering me this time. Not sure why but this is only a good thing so I am just going to run with it. :)

In fact, the 720p thing isn't even bothering me but I will probably check out that mod after it matures more. The control settings are also pretty reasonably imo. I prefer to be able to customize everything, but all of the stuff that I care about customizing is customizable. My only real complaint is the stuttering issue that some people including myself experience. I guess this is an old issue that is not XIII or FF specific, but it still sucks.

For those experiencing stuttering every 2-7 seconds, this fix worked for me:

Source

quote:

This is caused by the engine incorrectly overpolling the USB I/O in Windows. This is mainly apparent in all versions of Windows 7.
Logitech is not at fault - there are some apparent flamers here - which is why Logitech products work with a literal 99% of games.

TO FIX

Simply go into the Start menu and right-click "Computer", choose "Manage".

From there, go to "Device Manager" and choose "Human Interface Devices".

To get the best performance, you are going to want to disable all "HID-Compliant Device", you should not need to disable ANYTHING else.

Note: for the most part, these are used for the interfaces on the keyboards, which is why there is anywhere from 3-7, any applets will be disabled until these HID devices are re-enabled.

Interestingly enough, this issue is also persistent in Condemned: Criminal Origins, since it uses the same engine - Lithtech Jupiter EX - this "fix" also works.

None of the HID-Compliant Devices that I disabled involve hardware that I am using while playing the game. KB/M still worked fine for me.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 11, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Djehuti posted:

The Goddess is mentioned in the story, after you beat Barthandelus in Oerba, there's the Cieth stone, that says the Goddess stopped Fang destroying Cocoon when she turned into Ragnarok the first time. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned other times as well, didn't they say that Etro sent the Eidolons?

13 is really bad about talking about the mythology. The only gods ever mentioned explicitly by name are Pulse and Lindzei, and Lindzei is only ever mentioned in the Analect datalogs. Etro is talked about a couple times as "The Goddess", but she's never namedropped until you unlock the absolute final datalog for beating Vercingetorix:

quote:

Analect XIII: Fabula Nova Crystalis

Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.
The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.

When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond that Door will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro, as She sobs Her song of grief.

Even aside from that, the only real mentions of the Goddess are in two other datalogs:

quote:

Analect IV: The Heavenly Deceit

Ragnarok took wing; made to smite Cocoon, and thereby deliver us our everlasting peace. But Her Providence would not let it be.

The Goddess pitied the fools who so blindly bowed to Lindzei's will, and so She robbed Ragnarok of power, putting the l'Cie to an early crystal sleep, Focus yet incomplete.

quote:

Analect IX: Her Providence

Her Providence sought nothing.
Her Providence made nothing.
She but looked on, silent in Her sorrow.
The Goddess pitied mortals, destined as they were to die, and so She deigned to intervene in the hour of their greatest peril. She averted cataclysm that was to be, and put to rest the ones who would have robbed so many of what time fate had ordained.
Her compassion did not end at this.
The Goddess pitied also those subjected to that fate of Focus, crueler still than death. To them She sent Her messengers, to deliver hope when all was lost.

So yes, it does mention that Etro stopped Fang when she became Ragnarok, but only if you do half (or all) of the hunts.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Artix posted:

13 is really bad about talking about the mythology.

Is this really such a bad thing though? It's not like XIII is the first trilogy (video game or otherwise) which didn't provide the majority of the explanation during the first part of the series. I can understand the complaints about some key stuff only being in a datalog though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh no, for a standalone game it would be perfectly fine, and if the sequels had kept a similar slant on the mythology it would have been okay. The problem is that the sequels lean hard on the backstory - 13-2 is all about Etro and LR is all about Bhunivelze, the latter of which has literally never been mentioned by name in either of the first two games. It's just weird how hard they changed direction for the sequels.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

The second Shadow Hearts games wasn't too different from the first. Refined the battle system a little bit, had more playable characters...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is 70% repeating events that happened in Final Fantasy IV, albeit with different characters. Also, almost every single boss in FFIV is a boss in The After Years, though at least they're rebalanced appropriately.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is almost too similar to the original Golden Sun and The Lost Age, which were released separately but intended to be the same game. The battle system received a single, fairly minor (but exceptionally divisive) tweak, and the graphics were updated, but other than that the games are almost identical.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII-2 is just unused assets from XIII with some tweaks to the combat, but it's basically the same

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Star Ocean 2 is basically just a greatly expanded version of the first game.

Tales of Xillia 2 uses almost all of the same systems from the first game.

Digital Devil Saga 2 is really just the second part of the story.

Persona 4's battle system and S.Link system are really similar although they do have some improvements. The plot is completely different though.

To be honest FF13 and FF13-2 are more similar than they are different. They both use basically the exact same battle system with three characters and paradigm shifts. All of the roles (RAV, COM, MED, etc.) are the exact same and the types of Paradigms you can make are all basically the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only one I can think of that makes drastic changes is FFX-2. And, uh, Tales of Symphonia 2, I guess?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Suikoden II improved a lot of things from the first game, but the mostly the same combat with some quality of life changes like more runes slots. Only major change was the new major battle system, which was a downgrade since it barely worked.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Artix posted:

Oh no, for a standalone game it would be perfectly fine, and if the sequels had kept a similar slant on the mythology it would have been okay. The problem is that the sequels lean hard on the backstory - 13-2 is all about Etro and LR is all about Bhunivelze, the latter of which has literally never been mentioned by name in either of the first two games. It's just weird how hard they changed direction for the sequels.

Nah Bunnywhatever does get mentioned by name in the main plot part of 13-2. All of once mind, and it was during the endgame cutscene when Hope names his dorky new planet after the guy. Which is meant to be this deep, big symbolic moment but it falls waaaaaaaaaaaay flat when he's not mentioned any other time ever. Maybe deep in the datalogs or whatever but gently caress reading those things. I didn't do it for games I liked, I'm not doing it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Artix posted:

The "higher" gods aren't relevant to the first game, except that they exist and they're not around any more. It's a story about humans vs. fal'cie, and it's good that they kept everything else vague because apparently just that one slice on its own was super confusing for a lot of people. The 2nd game is about the fallout from what Etro did, so they explain who she is and what she did. The 3rd game is about everything, so there's a whole main quest line where you stand around some rooms reading about the mythology.

They explain what you need to know when you need to know it, and I actually think they managed it pretty well. Except the first ending where Etro drops in, obviously. I guess they expected people to be intrigued or whatever and go find out what happened, without realising it's actually indistinguishable from a thousand other animes with lovely endings where the power of the human spirit conquers all.