Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Untitled by francography, on Flickr

I shot an event the other day and I saw this little girl "playing" the piano. I really liked how much her red hair popped out when the showroom and the piano were white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Pretty much what I wanted to say.

Are you loving serious with this.

Dead loving serious, but hey whatever floats your boat.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Sorry to breakup posing chat.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Con la mirada by Mijaeus, on Flickr

She saw me taking photos and sent me a smile, but before I could reach her she was gone. Now, I have to find a way to find her.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Not 100% sure I'm thrilled with this, but it gave me a chance to mess with frequency separation a bit. Fun to mess with.

All ambient light with no off camera flash. There was a great lit up sign right on the road.

Mary Catherine O'Neill by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 7, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Not 100% sure I'm thrilled with this, but it gave me a chance to mess with frequency separation a bit. Fun to mess with.

All ambient light with no off camera flash. There was a great lit up sign right on the road.

Mary Catherine O'Neill by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

The lighting's not bad, but the cut-off out of focus highlights make it seem like there's an invisible black box behind her head or something, if that makes any sense.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

The lighting's not bad, but the cut-off out of focus highlights make it seem like there's an invisible black box behind her head or something, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, that's what bugs me most about it. Wish it was filled in a bit. I guess I could fake it, but it'd probably just make it look worse.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I keep seeing that light/earning near her chin as a pimple/mole/something.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kelli
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

somnambulist posted:

I'm THIS close to purchasing an oliphant backdrop for my portraiture. What does everyone think about them? Overrated? Worth it? You're crazy somnambulist? I want cake?

Look how beautiful this isssss

I dunno what to do :ohdear:

This is super cool, but isn't it something you could make yourself pretty easily? I was thinking of making my own with fabric additive to regular acrylic or oil paint. I'm sure it would take a lot of experimentation, but a nice background like this, maybe two (one lighter, one darker), would really help me figure out issues with light direction and posing.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Make fun of my photos

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mido posted:

Make fun of my photos

too easy

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:negative: my art

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Those sunglasses are just TOO goofy. It kind of ruins the photo.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
I'm sorry, but your vest... there's nothing we could do. It is terminally dorky.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

voodoorootbeer posted:

I'm sorry, but your vest... there's nothing we could do. It is terminally dorky.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Subyng posted:

Those sunglasses are just TOO goofy. It kind of ruins the photo.

Naw, they're cute and work with her outfit and his processing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The lighting is not doing her any favours in these two, and making the lighting work is your job. The ones after this were way less bad though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This an acceptable vest photo. The other two? Not so much.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

8th-snype posted:

This an acceptable vest photo. The other two? Not so much.

A vest without a jacket is never acceptable and neither is a bow tie unless you're Bill goddamn Nye.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

A vest without a jacket is never acceptable and neither is a bow tie unless you're Bill goddamn Nye.

It is for cute, fun, photos with your girlfriend. A checked button down shirt is casual as gently caress bro, it's not like this dude is wearing that to dinner at a 5 star restaurant or something. We are fighting about bowties though, some dudes can pull them off in nearly any situation and I'm very upset that I am not one of them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Waywt: my vest-shame

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

1st AD posted:

All I can see is Willy Wonka.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
You know how most dudes dress for their engagement photos with a terrible, ill-fitting pinstriped bro shirt worn untucked over baggy dad-wash jeans and $40 payless 'dress shoes'? Even that looks better than a vest over a t-shirt (unless you're in a Korean lookbook.)

1st AD posted:

Yea, a polka dot swim dress + oversized shades is a very classic look. It only lacks a scarf and/or oversized floppy hat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

feigning interest posted:

You know how most dudes dress for their engagement photos with a terrible, ill-fitting pinstriped bro shirt worn untucked over baggy dad-wash jeans and $40 payless 'dress shoes'? Even that looks better than a vest over a t-shirt (unless you're in a Korean lookbook.)

I wore a suit because I'm not some kind of loving neanderthal.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I wore skinny jeans and a scarf, and had the engagement shoot in Paris.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I wore a tshirt that says North Dakota on it.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

You guys are harsh on vests. I'll work on the lighting, I guess it would have been better if I kept the flash straight on her for all the shots.

Another engagement shoot.

I wanted this shot to work but it doesn't. :(:

"I want a headshot for LinkedIn that looks like everyone else's"

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

"I want a headshot for LinkedIn that looks like everyone else's"

You succeeded there. Crop off some of the space above his year so he isn't dead center.

The other stuff really can't be saved. Convert it to B&W and call it art.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Here's some that did come out the way I wanted.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Geeze the other woman could've worn something nicer than a boring sweater that covered up a colorful and fun shirt.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

All that direct light with terrible shadows. The last one is the least horrible of them all, but they look awkward as gently caress.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

1st AD posted:

Geeze the other woman could've worn something nicer than a boring sweater that covered up a colorful and fun shirt.

I obviously need to start being more of a dick about what people wear.

Pukestain Pal posted:

All that direct light with terrible shadows. The last one is the least horrible of them all, but they look awkward as gently caress.

How would you go about lighting multiple people at golden hour?

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Wooten posted:

I obviously need to start being more of a dick about what people wear.

Shade, or 5 in 1 reflector, get someone to hold it between the sun and your models.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah use open shade for people.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Or just expose correctly for their faces and put the sun over their shoulder... works best if you place the sun behind something else (trees n poo poo).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wooten posted:

I usually just pop some diffused on axis fill gelled CTO for golden hour stuff. I prefer to just use a reflector but things happen. I think the real problem is your shots aren't "gimmicky golden light over powering the sun" or "fill so subtle that you don't notice". Anything in between looks hamfisted because while it's clear that you know how to use artificial light. It's not clear why you are using it.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Posted these in the wedding thread but I'd really like some critique on them. Engagement session:

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-136 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-141 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-100 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-85 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-89 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

2014-09-13_Lilly-and-Tyler_Engaged-144 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Fix up her skin so it's more flattering and it's quite good!

Like this a lot.