Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

edit. I would feel like a tottal douche if any of these help me find my dad/person/etc ever turned out to be true but there is no way that dog tag is that old.

This one is actually a year or more old, and surprisingly turned out to be true:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2013/06/08/owner-of-mystery-vietnam-war-dog-tag-found.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That must have been the quietest restaurant in the world if someone heard him on the other side of it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

oldpainless posted:

That must have been the quietest restaurant in the world if someone heard him on the other side of it.

Everyone around was probably stunned into silence by his amazing joke, or just stunned into silence in general.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sentient Data posted:

Why bother asking if you already know it's a fake tag? The "1984028" line is supposed to be a full 9-digit social security number (And I'm pretty sure all tags of the era had the notch from the debossing machine)

As I posted literally five posts above yours, it's a service number, not a SSN, which dates it to pre-1965. That doesn't mean it's real, but it's certainly not fake just because it's not a nine-digit number.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SybilVimes posted:

This one is actually a year or more old, and surprisingly turned out to be true:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2013/06/08/owner-of-mystery-vietnam-war-dog-tag-found.htm

I can't double down against that. That's amazing that they actually found the guy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Besesoth posted:

As I posted literally five posts above yours

quote:

That doesn't mean it's real

Literally three posts above yours is a link proving it's real.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

True STDH, goons actually reading a thread.

:justpost:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Literally three posts above yours is a link proving it's real.

I'm aware. I phrased it badly. "That alone wouldn't have meant it was real" would have been a better way to put it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The author comes into school to find the principal has been fired for his unprofessional attitude towards student learning. The author's teacher makes him write out "Fandom is utilized by individuals who lack the capability to develop mature personalities" 25 times for homework.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Pththya-lyi posted:

The author comes into school to find the principal has been fired for his unprofessional attitude towards student learning. The author's teacher makes him write out "Fandom is utilized by individuals who lack the capability to develop mature personalities" 25 times for homework.

And that teacher...was Albert Einstein.
Everyone burst out into uproarious applause as he sang 'Carry On My Wayward Son' and the computer with the gifs and he got married.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Oct 11, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

It really speaks to a person's utter lameness when their ultimate fantasy is "I was an unfunny "random" loser and I didn't even get in trouble with my teachers!"

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

It really speaks to a person's utter lameness when their ultimate fantasy is "I was an unfunny "random" loser and I didn't even get in trouble with my teachers!"

"He even gave me a free one-use hall pass I can use whenever I want!"

STDH tax:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

ibntumart posted:

"He even gave me a free one-use hall pass I can use whenever I want!"

STDH tax:

This is probably true if you add *used* in front of tampon. And knowing some tumblr people, they are just the type to leave used tampons laying around in places where cats can find them, then bring them as a "toy."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
God, I hate tumblr.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Rick_Hunter posted:

And that teacher...was Albert Einstein.
Everyone burst out into uproarious applause as he sang 'Carry On My Wayward Son' and the computer with the gifs and he got married.

What if they played GWAR's cover of "Carry On My Wayward Son"?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

"The jolt from the direct hit sent him flying out of his seat and across the gently caress-Pit, the greatest sex club in Intergalactic Federation space."

Also: "arsehole". Apparently this is the university of Phoenix, UK.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Oct 12, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
This is still making the rounds after all these years? Snopes dates it a 1997 Usenet post. And now I guess it will live on lives on forever in Tumblrland.

edit: Though I see they did update the nastiness of both writers at the end. So an accurate update for today's internet, really.

ibntumart has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

sweeperbravo posted:

God, I hate tumblr.

Oh good!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Okay is this actually a thing? College professors punishing students for being "late"? I've heard it come up multiple times in stories just like this one but in all my college career, outside of Labs of course, I've never had a teacher care whether you showed up "late" or not, if they even cared whether you show up at all.

So is my experience really uncommon or am I correct in assuming that the people writing these things are all teenagers who think college is just like high school? Maybe anal teachers are an art school thing?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

dijon du jour posted:

Okay is this actually a thing? College professors punishing students for being "late"? I've heard it come up multiple times in stories just like this one but in all my college career, outside of Labs of course, I've never had a teacher care whether you showed up "late" or not, if they even cared whether you show up at all.

So is my experience really uncommon or am I correct in assuming that the people writing these things are all teenagers who think college is just like high school? Maybe anal teachers are an art school thing?

It's not super common at my school but I've definitely had a few teachers who will lock the door and not let anyone in after 5 minutes or will count tardies as absences after you have more than 4 or something. Depends on where you go, I guess.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
My course is pretty competitive, so we can arrive late but if we don't turn up or if we arrive after the register has gone around the room and been collected, eventually we get collared and asked to buck up. Not seen it happen yet, but those are the rules we were told at the start of the course.

edit: Here's a collection of things that never happened from Tumblr!

Rocking the sportsbra look to get friends.
Playing video games with strangers that walk into your home!
Grandma is aware of "epic burns".
Drunk guy sings to sky.
Disneyworld: Home of chocolate syrup.
Crab queen.
Book in classroom, ask NPC for help.
Lobster king.
Oh just gently caress off, Tumblr.

Roro has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Oct 12, 2014

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Almost every undergrad class and lab other than the big rear end lecture ones that I had, had stupid late policies, usually 15 minutes they mark you "tardy." I failed classes because I missed too many, even though I had legitimate health reasons (like being in the hospital!) And I went to 5 different schools for undergrad classes.

dijon du jour posted:

anal teachers are an art school thing?

gently caress art school, the one I took classes at, and the ones my friends went to, all had a "more than 2 missed classes is an automatic fail" policy. I thought art was supposed to be about creativity or whatever, why the gently caress do you HAVE to be in class? Especially when the whole class period is just sitting around making the art? Shouldn't you just be painting/drawing/whatever anywhere and everywhere?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The stdh is that most universities seal their upper-floor windows for liability poo poo.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

The stdh is that most universities seal their upper-floor windows for liability poo poo.

Hell, I'm taking a class on the first floor and the windows are "suicide-proofed" and only open half a foot or so.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dijon du jour posted:

Maybe anal teachers are an art school thing?
Med school I would have thought.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Sounds like the cold open gag to a bad 80s sitcom. The security guard runs it, says his line, laugh track, then cut to the theme song and opening credits.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

OldMemes posted:

Sounds like the cold open gag to a bad 80s sitcom. The security guard runs it, says his line, laugh track, then cut to the theme song and opening credits.

Totally hearing the Rocket Power theme in the background

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

In what world do University professors care if you attend class? Tutorials, sure, but that's with 20 people and a TA and even then they don't really care so long as you don't arrive 50 minutes in.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The same world where the student couldn't just give a brisk little jog to catch up with the teacher, have a little smalltalk on the way to class, then just give a quick step into the classroom before the teacher when they arrive at the door (along with an appropriate chuckle and smile in reference to the teacher's rule)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

The Iron Rose posted:

In what world do University professors care if you attend class? Tutorials, sure, but that's with 20 people and a TA and even then they don't really care so long as you don't arrive 50 minutes in.

stupid posted:

It is departmental policy that a student automatically fails the class upon their third unexcused absence. (You are out on the third strike.) Two late arrivals (after the beginning of class) equal one absence. Lateness of more than one-half hour is the equivalent of an unexcused absence. Students leaving class early are considered late for the amount of time missed. Students who do not get to class before mid-class break, or do not return after the break, will be marked as absent for that session. Medical and other emergency leave of absences follow a different policy. Please contact your instructor if such a situation arises.

As far as I understand "medical" / "emergency" doesn't actually matter according to my friend who went there because you'll fail no matter what if you miss 2+ classes unless the teacher is really nice. The art school I took classes at had the same-ish policy but was more flexible. Granted it was a while ago so maybe it changed but this was the first google result for it.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Oct 13, 2014

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

As far as I understand "medical" / "emergency" doesn't actually matter according to my friend who went there because you'll fail no matter what if you miss 2+ classes unless the teacher is really nice. The art school I took classes at had the same-ish policy but was more flexible. Granted it was a while ago so maybe it changed but this was the first google result for it.

Seems ridiculous, at least to me. In Edmonton, the main university, at least for Engineering, gave no fucks outside of a specific 12-session required piece specifically for Engineers. And that was only because you had to complete all assignments to pass, so if you had a friend running poo poo for you even that was null. I had a class where I attended the first one for a syllabus, the midterm, a random November, and the final, got a friend to run assignments, passed with a A-.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

dijon du jour posted:

Wasn't a problem when I was at a "real" university but when I was taking community college courses I had my grade dropped a whole letter grade 'cause of absences/tardies (2 absences and 2 tardies). Dropped me from a solid A to a B which was such bullshit as I had the highest grade on the final and isn't the point of those stupid policies to make sure you attend class so you actually learn something? That was like twenty years ago and I'm still bitter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I'm at Toronto and there were classes I passed that I literally did not attend past the first month.

I didn't do well, mind you. But the teachers didn't give a gently caress whether or not you showed up for class when there are literally 1500 students in a lecture hall.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I no poo poo had to show a fresh surgical scar to a teacher to believe me about have phenomena so bad I was hospitalized. She said she's had sick kids before but they were out for a week why didn't I have a friend bring me the work. Was in a hospital a good 120 miles from where I went to school and being a goon I did not have many friends much less ones that were class mates who I happened to have their number. Then again it was a 5 minute conversation in class and no one clapped or cheered over my ownage.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm at Toronto and there were classes I passed that I literally did not attend past the first month.

I didn't do well, mind you. But the teachers didn't give a gently caress whether or not you showed up for class when there are literally 1500 students in a lecture hall.
I went to a pretty high-end tech school and most professors couldn't care less about attendance. I think I took 6 classes (of ~34) that required/checked it. Even in smaller classes (like, 20-50) they didn't necessarily care if you showed up. If you didn't go there was a good chance you'd do terribly in the class, but there were several that you could skip days in.

A friend of mine slept through an exam worth 30% of his grade and the professor just negated it for him. So basically instead of having X/100 his grade was X/70. I think that's absurd but apparently the class was total garbage, so whatever.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
No one's pointing out the absurdity of the "in THIS CLASS, the professor only marks people who show up after they do as late!" As opposed to...what, marking them off before showing up?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

AmiYumi posted:

No one's pointing out the absurdity of the "in THIS CLASS, the professor only marks people who show up after they do as late!" As opposed to...what, marking them off before showing up?

It depends on when the professor shows up in the first place. If he's like on of my old ones, he's there 10 minutes before class starts. Good luck getting in before him. If he's like the ones who invariably sauntered in 20 or so minutes late, it's a different story.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My university in the UK just had a very low minimum attendance requirement. So sometimes I would just skip an afternoon class to see the conclusion of Murder She Wrote.

Wait, I'm sorry. I mean I turned up late to class after having watched the conclusion and obnoxiously announced how I just had to see that goddess Jessica Fletcher in action. My professor was all super angry and asked me to speak to him at the end of class. We went into his office, then he opened a door to his secret office, the walls were plastered with full length Angela Lansbury posters. It turned out he was a huge fan too and was only angry because he wished he could be late to class to watch it too.

Am I doing it right?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
poo poo that didn't happen: somebody posted about attendance in college classes and a derail about it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

RillAkBea posted:

My university in the UK just had a very low minimum attendance requirement. So sometimes I would just skip an afternoon class to see the conclusion of Murder She Wrote.

Wait, I'm sorry. I mean I turned up late to class after having watched the conclusion and obnoxiously announced how I just had to see that goddess Jessica Fletcher in action. My professor was all super angry and asked me to speak to him at the end of class. We went into his office, then he opened a door to his secret office, the walls were plastered with full length Angela Lansbury posters. It turned out he was a huge fan too and was only angry because he wished he could be late to class to watch it too.

Am I doing it right?

From then on during class you two constantly quoted the show and made in-jokes with each other to the bemusement of other students. Then you got married. And I don't even give a poo poo what gender you both are. :colbert:

• Locked thread