Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think it's great that we have had two lesbian engagement shoots posted in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

8th-snype posted:

I think it's great that we have had two lesbian engagement shoots posted in a row.

don't be jealous of them luscious locks

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

8th-snype posted:

I usually just pop some diffused on axis fill gelled CTO for golden hour stuff. I prefer to just use a reflector but things happen. I think the real problem is your shots aren't "gimmicky golden light over powering the sun" or "fill so subtle that you don't notice". Anything in between looks hamfisted because while it's clear that you know how to use artificial light. It's not clear why you are using it.

Thank you, this is really helpful. Thanks to everyone else too, your brutal honesty makes me a better photographer.

This week has been packed with engagement shoots. When I'm not shooting same sex couples, it's usually rednecks.

The dog on the left wouldn't look in my direction no matter what I did. The dog on the right is deaf.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Wooten posted:

The dog on the left wouldn't look in my direction no matter what I did. The dog on the right is deaf.

Is that a corgi/heeler mix on the right? It's adorable

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Her name is Kali and she's a Jack Russel and Australian Cattle Dog mix the other dog is Patti and she's a Lab and Boxer mix.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Wooten posted:

Her name is Kali and she's a Jack Russel and Australian Cattle Dog mix the other dog is Patti and she's a Lab and Boxer mix.

She's very cute. stumpy leg heeler - love it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

You've blown your highlights something fierce in the top photo, and the white of her skirt is a little glaring in the bottom photo. Tone it down.

I like the overall composition of the bottom photo but why on earth is the woman standing so far away and leaning in? It looks really awkward and unnatural.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

It seems like you tend to go to hard on your lighting. Expose for the background then add fill lighting to match. If you do that, the background isn't going to be dark, and the people aren't going jump out at you so hard. You can't only think about how the lighting will look on the subject.

In the middle, as far as the dog, bring an assistant with you. Or at least someone who doesn't mind hanging and helping out. That may have helped you out.

Bottom photo is nice. As said above, skirt is blown out. Expose for the background, match the lighting in the foreground and those issues start going away.

Overall, it looks like you have good control over the shoot. No awkwardness in their body language at all.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 11, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Fraction posted:

You've blown your highlights something fierce in the top photo, and the white of her skirt is a little glaring in the bottom photo. Tone it down.

I like the overall composition of the bottom photo but why on earth is the woman standing so far away and leaning in? It looks really awkward and unnatural.

I really wanted a photo that was about those boots what I posed this, that hat was stealing the show up until this point, I think I succeeded.

Pukestain Pal posted:

It seems like you tend to go to hard on your lighting. Expose for the background then add fill lighting to match. If you do that, the background isn't going to be dark, and the people aren't going jump out at you so hard. You can't only think about how the lighting will look on the subject.

In the middle, as far as the dog, bring an assistant with you. Or at least someone who doesn't mind hanging and helping out. That may have helped you out.

Bottom photo is nice. As said above, skirt is blown out. Expose for the background, match the lighting in the foreground and those issues start going away.

Overall, it looks like you have good control over the shoot. No awkwardness in their body language at all.

These are great points. Thanks again for all the time you've spent writing critique for me. It's easy to get into bad habits when you only hear good things about your work. I will definitely apply all of this to my upcoming shoots.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

Expose for the background, match the lighting in the foreground and those issues start going away.

I always hear this but have no clue how to do it. Is this a function of the camera or something I have to work out manually? For reference I'm shooting with a Canon T1i (500D).

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

smooth.operator posted:

I always hear this but have no clue how to do it. Is this a function of the camera or something I have to work out manually? For reference I'm shooting with a Canon T1i (500D).

You meter off the background and then adjust your fill accordingly.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

You meter off the background and then adjust your fill accordingly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

smooth.operator posted:

This is a function of lighting.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
In Av/Tv modes, Canon cameras expose for the background and fires TTL flashes for fill. In P and M the TTL flashes don't give a poo poo about the background.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Really funky lighting that I'll probably never be able to balance out in post, but I don't think they'd have entertained me messing with stuff during the show. I don't get to do portraits much but eh, I thought the colours were neat.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 14, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Jimlad posted:

Really funky lighting that I'll probably never be able to balance out in post

No need to, IMO. It looks cool.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Jimlad posted:

Really funky lighting that I'll probably never be able to balance out in post, but I don't think they'd have entertained me messing with stuff during the show. I don't get to do portraits much but eh, I thought the colours were neat.

I like the lighting a lot, I wouldn't change it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
It could stand a tiny bit of color correction on her skin, the extreme yellow in the shadow of her hair is upsetting me. I wouldn't bother trying unless you have PS and are good enough at masking though because any curves layer that will fix that will also gently caress up that sweet background something fierce.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

8th-snype posted:

It could stand a tiny bit of color correction on her skin, the extreme yellow in the shadow of her hair is upsetting me. I wouldn't bother trying unless you have PS and are good enough at masking though because any curves layer that will fix that will also gently caress up that sweet background something fierce.

Yeah that's the thing, it'd take a bit of work to mask properly and people seem to like it so I guess it's not worth messing with.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Jimlad posted:

Yeah that's the thing, it'd take a bit of work to mask properly and people seem to like it so I guess it's not worth messing with.

It's your photo so whatevs. I would not be able to keep myself from eliminating the yellow/green cast on her skin (at least n the shadows).

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

8th-snype posted:

It's your photo so whatevs. I would not be able to keep myself from eliminating the yellow/green cast on her skin (at least n the shadows).

yeah, she looks jaundiced

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Here's a family portrait I took yesterday.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

that sweater...

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

that sweater...

I imagined someone saying "your aunt Susan is going to love to see you in that sweater she gave you for your birthday!"

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Yall are trippin, that adolescent girl is the best dressed of them all and that sweater is dope.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's something weird about all these wide group shots, like everyone looks fatter or bigger than they should be (or maybe this is just the midwest and I'm not used to looking at average Americans). Is it the angle or focal length that's playing tricks here?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

There's something weird about all these wide group shots, like everyone looks fatter or bigger than they should be (or maybe this is just the midwest and I'm not used to looking at average Americans). Is it the angle or focal length that's playing tricks here?

Yeah but you think EVERYONE'S fat.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

1st AD posted:

Welcome to America :911:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

1st AD posted:

My guess is that people are using wider focal lengths than needed. Causes them to have to get closer, then makes everyone look extra fat.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

EDIT: ^^^67mm

The guy in that photo is super tall. I have to get up on a table to take his head shot. I live in New Hampshire, we're probably marginally less fat than the midwest.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
1) Harsh, directional light is unflattering for people with soft/round features. It can also create weird shadows that accentuate certain features(like the nose). Try a large umbrella or softbox and get it as close as possible to the subject.

2) Shooting close up with a ~35mm is generally unflattering and gives a slight fisheye effect. For close ups try stepping back and using 50mm or longer (some would argue 85-100mm minimum)

3) Naval-level shots are unflattering and makes people look large(r) waisted plus looking down creates a double chin. Try being about eye-level.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

EDIT: ^^^67mm

The guy in that photo is super tall. I have to get up on a table to take his head shot. I live in New Hampshire, we're probably marginally less fat than the midwest.

67mm is still pretty short for portraits. 85-135 is a good sweet spot.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I appreciate the crap out of the advice in this thread but anyone who thinks you can shoot a family of four with a 70-200, a large softbox, and a step ladder while you take them on a photo walk has never tried it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

notlodar posted:

Yall are trippin, that adolescent girl is the best dressed of them all and that sweater is dope.

This is a correct opinion.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Crush those blacks (also who said 27mm was too wide for portraiture?!)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wooten posted:

Again with the hard light.

1st AD posted:

It's the americans.

widunder posted:

Crush those blacks (also who said 27mm was too wide for portraiture?!)

owns

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Pukestain Pal posted:

67mm is still pretty short for portraits. 85-135 is a good sweet spot.

He's shooting four people. 67mm is fine.

Edit: To add, 85-135mm is considered portrait focal lengths because it forces you to stand far enough away to avoid perspective distortion when you're shooting one person. But if you're shooting 4 people, you're standing far enough away that almost any focal length will work. 35mm would be fine for that shot.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 13, 2014

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Again with the hard light.

The light is balanced, there are no blown highlights and the background is the same exposure. I can't take a 8 foot octobox on a walking shoot, not sure how I'm supposed to light this with a single flash any differently. It seems like the advice has turned into "just go back to your studio".

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Thank you.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Wooten posted:

I appreciate the crap out of the advice in this thread but anyone who thinks you can shoot a family of four with a 70-200, a large softbox, and a step ladder while you take them on a photo walk has never tried it.

Plan better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Edit: To add, 85-135mm is considered portrait focal lengths because it forces you to stand far enough away to avoid perspective distortion when you're shooting one person. But if you're shooting 4 people, you're standing far enough away that almost any focal length will work. 35mm would be fine for that shot.

4 people makes the perspective distortion even worse.