Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Joke's on you; I have tits, I don't need to get people drunk to rob them blind.

Yeah, but doing so makes it morally permissible. Doing it the other way is just wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDKFjJGorY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Not sorry bros, I'm into crude jokes and light-humored creepin' but still think jokes about taking advantage of intoxicated guests is loving gross and mad unprofessional.

Oh wait, because it is. Continue jerking one another off about which highball is more "manly."

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Not sorry bros, I'm into crude jokes and light-humored creepin' but still think jokes about taking advantage of intoxicated guests is loving gross and mad unprofessional.

Oh wait, because it is. Continue jerking one another off about which highball is more "manly."

I guess you're not into crude jokes. It's a joke because it's gross. And bartenders aren't known to be the most professional lot. And who's jerking off who? Because I have yet to get a handy and if I continue drinking someone's gonna have to handle my passed out, limp dingus, so hurry up you prudes.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Rotten Cookies posted:

I guess you're not into crude jokes. It's a joke because it's gross. And bartenders aren't known to be the most professional lot. And who's jerking off who? Because I have yet to get a handy and if I continue drinking someone's gonna have to handle my passed out, limp dingus, so hurry up you prudes.

Jokes are funny. Taking advantage of intoxicated customers isn't. gently caress off.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know you've been bartending at Applebee's for a whole ten months now, but some of us treat our professions like real jobs, yknow, because they are.

Why aren't I surprised that no one is interested in handling your dick?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I wish people would step outside their comfort zones on spirits more. Not even comfort zones, just try a different brand for gods sake it's not like I'm foisting a sexual orientation change. Like if someone's having a few gin and tonics I'll recommend something cool like Citadelle or Botanist because holy poo poo one gets are caramelized during fermentation and is so smooth and the other is Scottish and who's ever heard of a Scottish gin am I right? 1-2 dollar markup from rail and they always just eye it with suspicion and "no thanks I'm ok". This gigantic selection behind me, all mostly full. It's depressing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I wish people would step outside their comfort zones on spirits more. Not even comfort zones, just try a different brand for gods sake it's not like I'm foisting a sexual orientation change. Like if someone's having a few gin and tonics I'll recommend something cool like Citadelle or Botanist because holy poo poo one gets are caramelized during fermentation and is so smooth and the other is Scottish and who's ever heard of a Scottish gin am I right? 1-2 dollar markup from rail and they always just eye it with suspicion and "no thanks I'm ok". This gigantic selection behind me, all mostly full. It's depressing.

Iunno, if I go out to a place and see a huge variety of bottles back behind the bar, I get as excited as I do for Christmas. I try and urge my friends to try different poo poo too when we're out together. A lot of guests at my job are fairly open to trying new things too, if only for one drink.

The other people who don't want to try anything else? Eeeehhhh whatever.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
lol at everyone thinking taking a drunk patron home means you did any of the propositioning at all

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mooyashi posted:

lol at everyone thinking taking a drunk patron home means you did any of the propositioning at all

this, though it made me pretty uncomfortable the few times it happened. Oh yeah sure, just lemme wipe down the bar at 2:30 and I'll be totally up for more than having a beer and passing out.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

JawKnee posted:

this, though it made me pretty uncomfortable the few times it happened. Oh yeah sure, just lemme wipe down the bar at 2:30 and I'll be totally up for more than having a beer and passing out.

Emptyin this so limp

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I really have no horse in this race, I was just making light of what was honestly an off-hand remark. Don't know why you've got such a hair up your rear end.

mooyashi posted:

Let me tell you about the creepshow that works at my place. No, it's not me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think my favorite part of this whole ordeal is that in my years of bartending, I never took a customer home, and I sure as poo poo never got a girl intoxicated with that intent. But hey, this is a super serious thread about career bartending, no more jokes allowed.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

But I have tits.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think my favorite part of this whole ordeal is that in my years of bartending, I never took a customer home, and I sure as poo poo never got a girl intoxicated with that intent. But hey, this is a super serious thread about career bartending, no more jokes allowed.

Rape isn't a joke, dickhead.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Is there someone in this thread about bartending who hasn't had completely shitfaced, consensual sex?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

George Carlin would disagree and he was funnier than everyone than everyone in this thread put together.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Something Awful isn't Tumblr. Jokes are allowed here, even bad taste rape jokes. Not that the post in question was either in bad taste or about rape. It was a joke though.

Shooting Blanks posted:

George Carlin would disagree and he was funnier than everyone than everyone in this thread put together.

Also statistically nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape, so the facts are on our side.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 12, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously though if you're headed home from the bar and you come across someone whose been raped the first thing to do is to stop and think because you've obviously been going in circles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Really though rape is never a joke nor something to be taken lightly. Unless a clown or a hot air balloon is involved.

Or both.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Ha ha ha, gently caress you, get out.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

What the gently caress, thread

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

What the gently caress, thread

This thread is now G-rated. Jokes aren't allowed, and please refrain from cursing lest you upset someone.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Jesus, trigger warning??!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So, I came here for tips on making drinks. And the rape jokes.

Mainly the rape jokes though.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

This thread is now G-rated. Jokes aren't allowed, and please refrain from cursing lest you upset someone.

You know, call me crazy but when you feel the need to vehemently defend your god given right to make rape jokes, maybe it's time to step back and reevaluate things for a second.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
You know, after reading a few more recent posts here, especially nrr's, I've decided that I'm fine with just the one thing I know how to make; Jack and Roofies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

You know, call me crazy but when you feel the need to vehemently defend your god given right to make rape jokes, maybe it's time to step back and reevaluate things for a second.

I don't particularly care about defending my right to free speech, I just think it's funny that other people believe they should be the arbiter of what is and is not an acceptable topic for making a joke about. I won't even defend the joke as being particularly funny - it wasn't. But hey, let's come to a consensus about what we can and can't joke about, that'll be a blast.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

If a dude and his ginger lady come up and ask for a shot, is it acceptable to suggest a red-headed slut?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

lmao free speech.

oh man I'm fuckin dying over here

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rotten Cookies posted:

If a dude and his ginger lady come up and ask for a shot, is it acceptable to suggest a red-headed slut?

No because gingers have no souls. Gender doesn't matter in that one.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

only if it's a dirty one

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Can u guys believe that thanks to the free speech haters running rampant in this country, I can't even say 'friend of the family' anymore? like, does anyone even have any rights anymore?!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You're the one that brought up rights, dude, I already said I don't really care about that argument. But good job beating that dead horse.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

we can't say that in Canada anyway

wish they hadn't axed section 13 tho

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
</maxderail>

Walked into a bar last night with a couple buddies and it was decently busy. We sit down at the few open stools left at bar, we order our first round, and we're served.

Then, nothing.

No asking for payment, no asking about a credit card to open a tab, just a nod and a quick chat about one of the beers my buddy ordered.

We finish that round and order a second and we're still running on a good-faith tab.

I make mention of this to the bartender, and thank him for the courtesy. He says as he hands over our check, "You guys weren't going anywhere. I knew that."

I mean, so did I, but it still feels very courteous to be treated as such.

I used to extend this courtesy to a veeeeery select few people/regulars (maybe 5% of the overall customers we ever had) at my last gig, and was only burned on it once by some people I had just met. It was enough to make me stop doing it almost entirely for a few months.

Do any of you extend this courtesy still, and if so, by what standards? Or do you live by the hard and fast rules of tabs with cards / cash on the spot?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FaceEater posted:

Do any of you extend this courtesy still, and if so, by what standards? Or do you live by the hard and fast rules of tabs with cards / cash on the spot?
In Seattle there's few bars that ask me to pay up front, but that's probably related to the fact that most bars are functionally identical to restaurants since there's a local ordinance that requires places that serve alcohol to also serve food. (Also I'm a white ~30 year old that wears glasses)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to extend that courtesy if my boss wouldn't become apoplectic if there was a walkout. That's one of those decisions usually made by management that the bartender pretends is his, like comped drinks, when it goes his way. Just do what your bar's policy is there.

nrr posted:

I just don't want ninny boring GBS to return. The golden days of this forum were before that happened and now they have a chance to come back. Contributing to the thread OR comedy should always be allowed, and there should be enough slack that good faith attempts that don't get there aren't punished (except in FYAD).

raton fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 12, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
No one is punishing you, we are telling you you're not loving funny and you should shut the gently caress up about rape.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I extend that courtesy to people sitting at the bar who are obviously settling in for a while or people that I know. I've had maybe 3 walk outs in 8 years bartending and 14 in the service industry. When they happened, we shrugged and said "oh well, cost of buasiness." and comped them out.

And yeah, the joke was gross/not funny, I'm not some tumblr SJW but found it distasteful as a woman and a professional. Get over yourself, no one is trampling on YER RIGHGGGHTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Babbys, why don't you tell more jokes about robbing people blind because you have tits, that's a much funnier and more acceptable joke because *~feminism~*

• Locked thread