Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

They straight up say that the reason the Capital rations energy is to keep them in check. The implication being that if they get too much power then they could be able to rise up destroy the Capital. We don't know if that's what they'd do with more energy, but it's something that they're concerned about.

Yeah, this is accurate.

I think the problem is more that nobody responds to this stuff in the way you'd expect. The core of a political drama (complete with foreign-funded 'pirates') is there, it is just that even with threats of execution and so-on, Aida is literally the only person to seem to hold any strong feelings at all.

We're really used to using character responses to judge the intensity and severity of problems and that just doesn't exist here. It's a marked departure even from Turn-A or Gainer where people responded like *gently caress* to stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
It isn't realistic or believable, but I kind of like how chill and laid back most characters are in the show. I love those animal scenes and hope Tomino gives me more of them. :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sunburnedcrow posted:

It isn't realistic or believable, but I kind of like how chill and laid back most characters are in the show. I love those animal scenes and hope Tomino gives me more of them. :v:

I like that in this episode they explained that both the capital guard and even the newer more militarized army are still super unprofessional and basically a peacetime volunteer force in effectiveness. If you take what is said at face value they have no real combat experience at all, drawing even more parallels with the military in Turn A.

The Capital isn't a regular UC armed force, they're a bunch of these dudes instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6JB7eGqMU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I do wonder if the other nations are actually suffering from energy shortage or they're just mad that someone else has a monopoly on energy supplies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Presumably that's also why they have a lot to fear from Amerian assertions of power, they only hold a position of independence and strength because they control the access to energy, not because they have any defensive or offensive power to back those claims up.

The Grimoire's are Amerian mobile suits, for instance, The Recten's are basically glorified workerbots and it's only recently that the guard has upgraded them to a hasty combat version, and I guess the Cait Sith's are the new army model.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My big question is whether beam weaponry is a thing, since the Grimoire, Recten and Cait Sith all seem to not use typical beam weapons, but at the same time they don't use shell based ammo. Only the G-Self seems to have beam weapons, at least as far as I can recall and my memory isn't the best on this subject.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

TARDISman posted:

My big question is whether beam weaponry is a thing, since the Grimoire, Recten and Cait Sith all seem to not use typical beam weapons, but at the same time they don't use shell based ammo. Only the G-Self seems to have beam weapons, at least as far as I can recall and my memory isn't the best on this subject.

The Grimoire's smg looking thing with the whipbayonet uses shells, it was a cool shot when they showed it off.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The Grimoire's smg looking thing with the whipbayonet uses shells, it was a cool shot when they showed it off.

So yeah, I think they're restricting energy so people don't fully develop beam weapons and gain a full offensive edge on the Capital.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

I do wonder if the other nations are actually suffering from energy shortage or they're just mad that someone else has a monopoly on energy supplies.

They should just cover the Earth in solar panels!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna turn out everyone is on Equilibrium style drugs and that's why no-one reacts to anything except with mild interest, just you wait and see.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

So yeah, I think they're restricting energy so people don't fully develop beam weapons and gain a full offensive edge on the Capital.

The Montero seems to be heavily beam weapon equipped. The Javelin, rifle and vulcans are all beam weapons if I recall correctly.

Likewise the G-self has an i-field equipped shield. Seems like higher end suits have beam weaponry, while grunt equipment is limited to shell based.

Potsticker posted:

They should just cover the Earth in solar panels!

Yeah we should bu-

quote:

Gonna turn out everyone is on Equilibrium style drugs and that's why no-one reacts to anything except with mild interest, just you wait and see.

My money is on the environmental damage of UC causing a change in atmospheric conditions to cause long term, small scale brain damage. Like how things were a lot worse when we had leaded gasoline.

-peat the mistakes of the past!

Caros fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

The Montero seems to be heavily beam weapon equipped. The Javelin, rifle and vulcans are all beam weapons if I recall correctly.

Likewise the G-self has an i-field equipped shield. Seems like higher end suits have beam weaponry, while grunt equipment is limited to shell based.

For all we know about the Montero it could be something that Ameria blew most of its energy ration on and we have no idea what the G-Self's origin is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So where the gently caress is this streaming right now if at all

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Are you in North America? Because if so, I believe the current answer is "gently caress you."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I find myself quietly hoping that we'll see an underwater farm at some point. Build Fighters didn't forget G-Savior, and well, G-Self.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We might hear a NA streaming announcement over the weekend at NYCC. Considering how UK and Australia have legal options I think that rumor has a lot of merit, especially since delaying initial streams in order to announce them at events aren't exactly a new thing.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

It's kinda sad that cool mech designs like the Grimoire are being wasted on this show. Captain Earth 2.0: Anime Tim Buckley edition.

Oh well, maybe the inevitable Build Fighters Season 3 can save them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Build Fighters Try has been given permission to use G-Reco suits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not sure if it is my lowered expectations or that I'm no longer shocked at how no one seems to care about being shot at by giant robots but I enjoyed episode 3 a lot more. The setting's been laid out pretty well by now and we've been beaten over the head with so much self-awareness that it is much easier to take things about as seriously as the cast does. I'm starting to actually like this.

I still like Build Fighters Try more though.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Hell, it's not like (apparently) anyone's actually trying to kill each other. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

John Carstairs posted:

Hell, it's not like (apparently) anyone's actually trying to kill each other. :v:

Maybe they are all new types. They all understand each other so they don't feel the need to take anything seriously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I cannot wait for my Grimiore-Tallgeese fusion.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

John Carstairs posted:

That is an interesting possibility. I mean so far only Aida and Luin seem to be taking things seriously, and Klim deliberately tried not to kill the rookies. It would be a really weird way to fight a war but Tomino is crazy enough to deliberately make that kind of story, G-Reco mocks common Gundam conventions enough that it wouldn't surprise me too much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Since Ameria is deliberately trying to conceal their actions via the pirate facade(though putting Ameria plates inside your prototype mobile suit is pretty loving dumb), it's totally plausible that they're deliberately trying to limit casualties and collateral damage to limit the energy sanctions the Capital will hit them with in response. If they kill a bunch of people or snap the orbital elevator cables the Capital might cut them off entirely instead of merely docking their shipments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

Build Fighters Try has been given permission to use G-Reco suits.

Wait, really? What'd they have to do, sacrifice an intern on Tomino's desk to appease his hatred of plastic kits?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, really? What'd they have to do, sacrifice an intern on Tomino's desk to appease his hatred of plastic kits?

I assume Tomino just went "yes, whatever, leave me alone" and went back to shaking his fist at a nearby cloud.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well no-one's died because of Gunpla Insanity in a few decades so maybe he just passively instead of actively hates them

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Despite people's weird desire for G-Reco to be the FF8 to Try's Xenogears, both shows are good

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The animation of this show looks so good, with the designs and colours and the dynamic movements. You can see the limitations of the budget in the paucity of inbetween frames, but the keyframes look so nice and all the characters a constant sense of weight and motion.

As for the accusations of sexism, I think Tomino is going for something deliberate. Capital society is depicted as a decadent and stagnant and sexist, with the old-world designs and deliberate technological anachronisms. But it is not irredeemable. Bellri and co are going on a journey to discover the world at large, and once they return they will change Capital for the better.

I mean, look at Bellri, he's not some stoic badass, he's a very open, tolerant guy, unaffected by the biases of society. Noredo plays off him well, and they constantly bicker and are completely at ease with one another. When Bellri runs himself face-first into a wall like an idiot, Noredo stops him from breaking his neck. Okay, G is rather humiliating, but I don't think she'll be like that forever.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The Monday bitching is ridiculous. This character has something obviously wrong with her! This is an insult to all women!

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I think Dellensen is my favorite character so far. He's one of the few people in this show to take things seriously all the time, but he's not as big of a hardass as he carries himself. He's also shown to be pretty competent, and it was amusing to see him take Klim down a notch after his boasting. His Cait Sith wasn't even equipped with a flight pack!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Phobophilia posted:

As for the accusations of sexism, I think Tomino is going for something deliberate. Capital society is depicted as a decadent and stagnant and sexist, with the old-world designs and deliberate technological anachronisms. But it is not irredeemable. Bellri and co are going on a journey to discover the world at large, and once they return they will change Capital for the better.

I don't think the Capital is portrayed as being particularly sexist. Bell's mom is the Operations Director, and based on the ED Manny's going to become a pilot a while down the line. Meanwhile there's apparently a guy in the cheerleader squad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raku posted:

The Monday bitching is ridiculous. This character has something obviously wrong with her! This is an insult to all women!

I don't think she's an insult to all women but she is a pretty fuckin' awful character so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ryas posted:

I think Dellensen is my favorite character so far. He's one of the few people in this show to take things seriously all the time, but he's not as big of a hardass as he carries himself. He's also shown to be pretty competent, and it was amusing to see him take Klim down a notch after his boasting. His Cait Sith wasn't even equipped with a flight pack!

"You shot down my only method of flight and now I'm freefalling without any means of arresting my descent. I've got you right where I want you, you little poo poo."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Everyone thought Kirara was awful at first and she ended up being one of the (many) best characters.

Granted, the last time Tomino explicitly was saying things about women we ended up with Victory, but let me have faith in him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Everyone thought Kirara was awful at first and she ended up being one of the (many) best characters.

Granted, the last time Tomino explicitly was saying things about women we ended up with Victory, but let me have faith in him.

Kirara became a better character by basically being written out and replaced by a completely different character with the same design. (And in doing so they retroactively made her initial appearance way creepier but you just ignore it because it's never mentioned again.)

I won't mind if it happens to Monday, mind, since anything is better than GEEEEEEE.

Kanos posted:

"You shot down my only method of flight and now I'm freefalling without any means of arresting my descent. I've got you right where I want you, you little poo poo."

That was in fact pretty great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Raku posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Ah yes making one of the female protagonists brain damaged and having her act very child like is perfectly normal because there's in universe logical reasons for how it came about.

The KKK in Birth of a Nation were just trying to protect people, I don't see what's so racist about it.

Oh my god

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Birth of a Nation is a bit of an extreme comparison, don't you think? I mean yeah G-Reco clearly has some issues with female characters so far but it doesn't pin literally all of society's ills on women like Birth does with black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

So far there hasn't been a single good analogy made in this thread, maybe it's time to stop trying.

• Locked thread