Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You need to find a shady looking van in an alleyway with a guy selling gear out of the back of it. Don't forget some kind of weapon to ensure they actually hand over the goods after you give them the cash.

Like I go anywhere with out my cold-steel six-shooter "Elvis". :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Sure! I will play around with it and let you know! the guy justin is very receptive and will probably tweak stuff to your interests. he had a plexi clone too he had previously with Paul and mills.

but once I get my hands on this dude I'll let you know. probably mostly going to be using it for bass since my bassist hd130 can't keep up with my v4.

are you involved in the fl metal scene? I know alotttta people down there. any affiliation with any bands, if you don't mind me asking... I do need to get PMs

I'm not super involved, honestly I never cared for hardcore shows and that's the bulk of it but I know tons of people in that mix around central Florida. It's a really interesting bunch of people around here on the coast. There's a surprising amount of prog metal evolving down here again, plus the 90s are infecting everyone for better or worse.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So my BBE Bohemian came in today annnnnnd it's a dud. Plus, I got it on Musician's Friend's stupid deal of the day but apparently they no longer carry the pedal. So I can either return it and get $60 back (which in no uncertain terms will not buy me another treble booster of even sort of comparable quality) or I can keep it and try to fix it.

:mad: life is just a series of disappointments :mad:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Try a used BBE Freq Boost; should be in the price range and it is a kickass Rangemaster-esque circuit with some great bite and a massive tightening effect. Like it better than a TS by a mile for boosting heavy to make heavy tighter.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I bought a big lovely dreadnought. Now my fingers are bleeding and my shoulders are very sore.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least it has a cutaway!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey, at least it has a cutaway!

It's got a little bit of everything :)

It's got a cutaway, a pickup with an active EQ and in the soundhole near the bridge, there's a small condenser microphone. You can set the volume of the mic and the pickup seperately to blend them together.

The microphone isn't good enough to be able to suggest that the guitar has been mic'd up, however it certainly makes the DI sound about a hundred times better.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Sounds good to me, man. Nice score!

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Been wanting a cajon for a while now. Going camping this week so it'll be 17 guitars AND A CAJON around the campfire.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Been wanting a pure, goofy fun shredder for a bit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I traded a bunch of setups and some basic rewiring stuff for this

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

Been wanting a pure, goofy fun shredder for a bit.

Very nice!

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

I traded a bunch of setups and some basic rewiring stuff for this

Sir I must say this with the utmost admiration,

:vince:

Fake Edit: But seriously, if that had a slightly wonkier pickguard it'd pretty much be the greatest guitar I've ever seen.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Though not as flashy as some recent posts and items, I'm still a huge, huge proponent of their stuff. Kinda pointless to post my own action shot, as a still shot of an acoustic saddle and nut is kinda boring. Anyway:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PQ-9280-C0

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PQL-6010-00

A year or so ago I replaced the nut and saddles in my strat with Graphtech offerings and was flat out blown away with the increase in depth of timbre and the increase in sustain. My Taylor came loaded with a Graphtech nut and compensated saddle out of the box, and it too has a wonderful depth of timbre and sustain.

A couple months back I bought a beater Yamaha acoustic to use outside in our arid environment. I've played it more than anything lately and basically I'm starting to eat grooves in the stock plastic bridge (not unexpected at all). I knew I would be replacing the nut and bridge eventually, so away we go.

I realize reviewing them prior to installing them is rather pointless, but from previous experience I'm pretty much sold on their connection point products. I'll get a trip report posted once I get them installed.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

umalt posted:

Sir I must say this with the utmost admiration,

:vince:

Fake Edit: But seriously, if that had a slightly wonkier pickguard it'd pretty much be the greatest guitar I've ever seen.

It actually plays really well and doesn't sound awful, I might try swapping the magnets in the pickup to salvage it (although the pickguard and pickup are slightly different shades of cream anyways). I also haven't decided if I should take the pickguard off. Definitely needs a new nut and I'll probably swap out the bridge and tuners but hey that's standard

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

A pair of EV ELX112P mains.

A pair of EV ELX118P subs.

QSC TouchMix-16.

(And just for fun, I got this throw into the deal, a Korg KP3, because God knows the Axe-FX isn't capable of making enough weird noises on its own.)

It's a big splurge, but I did some amp trading and I gotta admit, the feeling of relief and being able to go full on 'gently caress no gently caress YOU I have my own PA' is pretty nice.

deeter
Oct 21, 2005

iostream.h posted:

QSC TouchMix-16.

How are you liking the QSC? I've heard it's a cool little mixer. Speaking of mixers, a couple weeks ago my boss asked if I wanted to buy his old Neotek. I work with an analog guy who was excited about it so we picked it up. I'm not sure what we're going to do with it yet, he's already got another console but the price was right.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

deeter posted:

How are you liking the QSC?
So far, in the very little time I've spent piddling with it, I think I'm going to love it.
The iOS integration is pretty swank (although I'm going to need to replace my iPad I think, my to-do list tomorrow has me checking to see if it'll run on older models and such), the controls make sense, the pre's sound clear and solid and overall build quality seems to be alright.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. I WANTED to pop for the new Allen & Heath mixer, with the remote interface that connects via Cat5 BUT, it's a little pricey at the moment, and the 16 channel model isn't available yet apparently.

The QSC seems ideal. 16 channels, I can throw it on the side of the stage, do the mixing from the floor with an iOS device (I THINK it has an Android app as well, but I'll have to ask my bass player about that later), everyone controls their own mix from their phones, security to keep people from loving up each others mixes, solid F/X and EQ options, yeah I think I'll dig it a lot.

I'll be honest, most of my time with it this evening was spent opening it up, plugging the speakers into it so I could throw my iPod through it while I worked on my Axe-FX patches a bit to get ready for a 2-day festival coming up in a couple of weeks. I may or may NOT have started integrating the KP3 into things as well...I admit nothing, NOTHING. ;)

I'm incredibly pleased with the EV system as well. Admittedly, like with my amps v/s the Axe-FX, I'm older and growing up and being in the scene, self-powered PA's are for Boy Scout camps and church socials. I've never really given them a glance because I haven't had any real NEED to. Well, for one thing, using the QSC K12's with the Axe-FX really served to open my eyes and now, hearing the EV system has REALLY turned things around. That pair of 12's and those subs will EASILY cover most any venue I'll regularly play within the near future. Anything they WON'T is probably going to have their own sound anyway. I'll probably add another pair of 12's, or MAYBE a pair of 15's over the next 6 months or so, just to get ready for the flatbed trailer in a pasture biker gig season next year and as a general backup, but I've got some time to mull it over.

Either way, being able to get a full PA setup for around $4k that'll cover most any venue I'll run across is just incredible, that's not even counting shopping used or getting any discounts. That said, I am so loving DONE with spending money on gear upgrades this year, which granted, was a necessity, but still, I know I'm going to end up with a weird audit over all this.

It's very very strange to consider setting up a PA nothing more than (basically) running mics into the board, running outs to the mains, daisy-chaining the subs off those and hitting the go switch, but that's pretty much it. No rack full of amps and crossovers and crap, no huge snarl of wires, no muss, no fuss.

I am not complaining in the damned SLIGHTEST.

Well...except for the fact that lights are in the near future. :smith:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
if you're ever interested in getting rid of that kaos pad, been eyeing one for awhile ...

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I did the unthinkable in my first slow step towards ___dadism. I got myself a used SGJ, it was ~$420 and white, so without thinking I just pulled the trigger as fast as possible.

What a blast to play, the guitar feels essentially brand new, no wear at all. Lightning fast neck, gloriously light, and really well setup. Not to mention I seemed to have lucked out because this has no sharp frets and the nut seems cut well. It also seems like it's only two pieces of wood, which kind of surprised me because for the price I figured it would be 30 pieces glued together. Only tiny gripe is I like trapezoid inlays more, but that is pretty trivial; that and I would have put the jack someplace else if I had designed this guitar.

My first Gibson and it did not break the bank at all. Time for badly played AC/DC. :D

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 10, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
:hfive: cheap Gibson brother.

I love banging out the chords to "Live Wire" with the LPJ (easy ACDC).

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I have a white PRS. I'm 35 and work a white collar job.

I'm the waking definition of a bluesdad, you are safe until you play some Gary Clark Jr.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.
I don't have pictures yet, but I ordered myself a surf green PB4 from Carvin the other day. I got the P/J setup and I'm going to be screaming on the inside until it arrives in something like 10 weeks. It'll look something like this, but with a maple fingerboard and black block inlays, black hardware, and a plain white pickguard. Any other Carvin folks out here?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is an electrosluch. It allows one to listen to electromagnetic fields. It loving rules. Handmade in Slovensko!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Earwicker posted:

This is an electrosluch. It allows one to listen to electromagnetic fields. It loving rules. Handmade in Slovensko!

oh my god. I think I need this. can I possibly run a cord out of it and run it through efx? oh my god. where do I order one?

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So it's like a theramin?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cojawfee posted:

So it's like a theramin?
Or, I'm guessing, those DealExtreme "spy" gadgets to find out whether your room is bugged.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

oh my god. I think I need this. can I possibly run a cord out of it and run it through efx? oh my god. where do I order one?

Yes, there is a 1/8 inch audio out where you can either plug in headphones, or plug in a cord to send the signal wherever you want. I already made some improvised ambient drone pieces by just sending it through a ton of reverb and then running it over various electronic devices. I might make a video demonstration of one of those this weekend.

Cojawfee posted:

So it's like a theramin?

Sort of, in the sense that you can "play" it by moving it various distances between various electromagnetic field generating objects and can get different tones just by turning it. However, this does not change the pitch in the same way that a theramin works. Rather you can get different sounds out of it changing the angle and by loving around with whatever object you are listening to. Like if you hold it up to a smartphone and start using apps or even just scroll around you'll hear different kinds of sounds. Earlier today I took it over to my piano teacher's house and he has a Farfisa from the mid-60's which has some kind of motor based vibrato. I could get a lot of really great tones just from listening to different areas of the organ's body without even pressing anything, and then if you turn on the vibrato you can actually hear that warbling in the electromagnetic field. The sounds from computers, ereaders, cellphones etc. are more complex and unpredictable.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Or, I'm guessing, those DealExtreme "spy" gadgets to find out whether your room is bugged.

Well literally any object that uses electricity makes a bunch of noises on this thing so it would give you a lot of false positives if you used it for that, unless you knew very specifically what to listen for.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 11, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

I don't have pictures yet, but I ordered myself a surf green PB4 from Carvin the other day. I got the P/J setup and I'm going to be screaming on the inside until it arrives in something like 10 weeks. It'll look something like this, but with a maple fingerboard and black block inlays, black hardware, and a plain white pickguard. Any other Carvin folks out here?

Nice! I've never tried a Carvin bass, but I used to have a DC127 guitar that I liked a lot. Carvin's build quality is top notch.

You think 10 weeks is bad? I've been waiting 9 months for my Dingwall, and I just heard from Long and Mcquade that it'll be a few more weeks yet.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

You think 10 weeks is bad? I've been waiting 9 months for my Dingwall, and I just heard from Long and Mcquade that it'll be a few more weeks yet.
It's right at 9 months for Suhr too.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.

iostream.h posted:

It's right at 9 months for Suhr too.

Thank you, I instantly feel better. Jesus christ that's a long time.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

Thank you, I instantly feel better. Jesus christ that's a long time.

But, hey! At least it's not a luthier-built classical (or steel string), where 9 months would be a super fast waiting list. We're talking decades for some of these dudes. 25 for Greg Smallman!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Earwicker posted:

Yes, there is a 1/8 inch audio out where you can either plug in headphones, or plug in a cord to send the signal wherever you want. I already made some improvised ambient drone pieces by just sending it through a ton of reverb and then running it over various electronic devices. I might make a video demonstration of one of those this weekend.

Sort of, in the sense that you can "play" it by moving it various distances between various electromagnetic field generating objects and can get different tones just by turning it. However, this does not change the pitch in the same way that a theramin works. Rather you can get different sounds out of it changing the angle and by loving around with whatever object you are listening to. Like if you hold it up to a smartphone and start using apps or even just scroll around you'll hear different kinds of sounds. Earlier today I took it over to my piano teacher's house and he has a Farfisa from the mid-60's which has some kind of motor based vibrato. I could get a lot of really great tones just from listening to different areas of the organ's body without even pressing anything, and then if you turn on the vibrato you can actually hear that warbling in the electromagnetic field. The sounds from computers, ereaders, cellphones etc. are more complex and unpredictable.

Well literally any object that uses electricity makes a bunch of noises on this thing so it would give you a lot of false positives if you used it for that, unless you knew very specifically what to listen for.

can you get electromatic pulses from the pedals that you are running it through?! :allears:

please do a sample, looking where to buy it from now but I am kinda going in circles at their funds sourcing page

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Those are really fun to use. For awhile I was the crazy dude walking down the streets recording random areas and things. If you live nearby any heavy industry/power plant it is amazing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Those are really fun to use. For awhile I was the crazy dude walking down the streets recording random areas and things. If you live nearby any heavy industry/power plant it is amazing.

Yeah I live on the border of a fairly industrial area and I already walk around doing field recordings all the time with my regular Tascam. The only issue with this thing is it seems with a lot of sources you have to get quite close.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Earwicker posted:

Yeah I live on the border of a fairly industrial area and I already walk around doing field recordings all the time with my regular Tascam. The only issue with this thing is it seems with a lot of sources you have to get quite close.

I was just gonna ask if it has a variable sensitivity on it so you don't go walking by the industrial center and get a whole lot of cross talk.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oh boy! :dance:

Oh boy oh boy! :holy:

This thing is glooooorious. :circlefap:

2013 Reverend Tricky Gomez LE. If I have one complaint, it's that I wish Reverend would have gone with pearloid for the pickguard instead of tortoiseshell so that it'd be a little more contrasty. Still, plays like a freaking dream.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Woahhh, I'm not the biggest fan of Bigsby's, but that sumbitch right there is a sexy beast for sure!

I'm with you on the pick guard, white pearl would look swank.
What pickups are those?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Just the standard revtrons. Basically slightly higher output filtertrons. I'm actually considering calling Reverend and seeing if they can custom cut me a pearloid TG pickguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Schpyder posted:

Oh boy! :dance:

Oh boy oh boy! :holy:

This thing is glooooorious. :circlefap:

2013 Reverend Tricky Gomez LE. If I have one complaint, it's that I wish Reverend would have gone with pearloid for the pickguard instead of tortoiseshell so that it'd be a little more contrasty. Still, plays like a freaking dream.

Congrats. You just bought a Duesenberg at half the price.