Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sato
Apr 28, 2013
New clip is up! The next episode is called The Coronation

Two kooky pals!

Sato fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hah! She's Nobunaga.

Nobunaga was probably not actually that bad considering how everyone was a massive loving bastard back then. He gets a lot of hate because he basically went against the way the Japanese did things at the time. Rather than working with nobles he armed peasants with guns and had them shoot those well trained warriors. He also didn't give as poo poo about monks and decided to kill them if they got in the way...which probably wasn't as evil as it sounds when you consider that said monks held a lot of political and sometimes martial power, and as a whole were not exactly politically neutral noncombatants.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From what I've read Nobunaga was very open to western ideas and really didn't care for the Japanese class system - wasn't very big on the decorum. Name and history had very little worth to him and was big on merit. It seems like the openly bastard thing he did was against the ikki monks where he pretty much had his army starve them out then kill them all. Women and children included. Japan probably would have been very different than it is today had he conquered it. Probably wouldn't have gone into isolation.

Kuvira just seems like your stock conqueror, except she's not above using guile and trickery over martial power to conquer a province. To be honest, I think the real mastermind behind all of it is her fiancee. She might have the same kind of relationship with him like his parents have. He's the ideas man she's the one with the savvy to make it happen.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 11, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't understand the thread title, the last season was genuinely fantastic.

Season 2 was admittedly spotty with flashes of brilliance and season 1 was fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

By the way why the gently caress would Toph ever say "nice to see you again"? Is it an indication of her actually being so loving badass she can functionally see now or am I overthinking a dumb joke?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

By the way why the gently caress would Toph ever say "nice to see you again"? Is it an indication of her actually being so loving badass she can functionally see now or am I overthinking a dumb joke?

This is not the first time she's made a sight joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Toph made sight jokes regularly in the original show.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:tinfoil: Chat Time!

I hypothesize that Kuvira will be revealed to be someone else's pawn, despite all the promotional build-up. That person is...

Varrick. Who then reveals that that goofy, quirky personality we've come to know and love was all an act, and is actually quite the vicious guy when he lets loose. His life's dream has been to rise from his lowly origins to be the king of the hill, and his "alliance" with Kuvira is the best chance he has of making that a reality.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That too, but since she can clearly sense people, she might just be using the common vernacular. It's short and it gets the point across.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Why is Sokka the only original Team Avatar member that's loving dead.

Sokka :(

edit: Well besides Aang

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The universe don't care about Sokka. One day he was all joking "I'm gonna live forever!" then the universe, always wanting to prove him wrong, killed him dead the next day. The end. gently caress the universe and its magical rocks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Another parallel is Trotsky during the Russian Civil War. Always traveling around in an armoured train.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Genocyber posted:

This is not the first time she's made a sight joke.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Varrick. Who then reveals that that goofy, quirky personality we've come to know and love was all an act, and is actually quite the vicious guy when he lets loose.

They already did that reveal in Season 2.

I really doubt they're going to make Varrick a "mastermind." Kuvira is doing what she's doing in order to grab power, possibly (hopefully) because she legitimately feels she is the best possible ruler available. Varrick is going along with her because he's a war profiteer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I honestly don't see how Kuvira would be anything but better than whatever came before, and any current options.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
It's worth mentioning that Toph was said to have wandered the world seeking enlightenment, and that the old swampbender dude said that he reached enlightenment while hanging out under the giant tree.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Drifter posted:

I honestly don't see how Kuvira would be anything but better than whatever came before, and any current options.

She could go without a crowning moment of evil and leave her conflict ambiguous.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm betting that Toph has actually been dead for a while, but now exists as a spirit.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I honestly don't see why there has to be a big reveal that Kuvira is a pawn. She's the perfect villain at this stage of Korra's development and finding out that she was actually serving her fiance or whatever would lessen the impact of the season and of Korra's triumph over her demons.

I'm actually curious as to how much we'll see Korra next episode. Due to the title of the fourth episode I wouldn't be surprised if it were about Korra debating whether to rejoin Mako and Asami while training with Toph, maybe contrasted with Bolin choosing to leave Kuvira/flashbacks to his decision to join the army. I could see the third episode focusing almost entirely on Kuvira's refusal to honor Wu's authority and the chaos that brings.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How is she a villain based on what we've seen?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

It's worth mentioning that Toph was said to have wandered the world seeking enlightenment, and that the old swampbender dude said that he reached enlightenment while hanging out under the giant tree.

I'm almost certain "enlightenment" was just the excuse Toph used to tell everybody to gently caress off while she went and partied and had adventures. Toph-brand enlightenment.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Well if she was the one who sent the bandits after Opal and Kai...

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Drifter posted:

Right now she's just an antagonist. The transition to villainy isn't quite concrete yet.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

She did try to get the governor of that province to sign a strict, debilitating contract. You can debate whether it was actually villainous but it seemed clear from how the episode was written that we were supposed to sympathize with the governor and the airbenders rather than the conquering overlord.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sato posted:

She did try to get the governor of that province to sign a strict, debilitating contract. You can debate whether it was actually villainous but it seemed clear from how the episode was written that we were supposed to sympathize with the governor and the airbenders rather than the conquering overlord.

The governor complained that it was debilitating. He was free for three years not paying taxes or whatever. And then he wanted free help.

I know who the real villain was. :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sato posted:

She did try to get the governor of that province to sign a strict, debilitating contract.
A funny way to phrase her generous offer.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Oh. Season 4 started already. Huh.

Toph :swoon:

Drifter posted:

The look on her face after she recruited those bandits was one of pure unadulterated villainy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
just watched the new ep, lol this series really just refuses to do its own thing without bringing back characters from TLA, doesn't it

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want someone to ask Varrick why he's going along with a clearly evil scheme and his reply is a nonchalant "because I'm a terrible person!"

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Minrad posted:

just watched the new ep, lol this series really just refuses to do its own thing without bringing back characters from TLA, doesn't it

Is this a complaint? I don't think LoK has been overbearing with TLA characters making appearances. As excited as we get when we see Zuko or Toph, they aren't overshadowing the main characters.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Minrad posted:

Wow, the show about reincarnation and cycles of life reuses characters? Blasphemy!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Minrad posted:

It's a good thing there isn't a healthy tradition of martial arts stories having wise, powerful, elderly sage characters otherwise them bringing back characters would make a lot of sense and be thematically appropriate. The writers really dodged a bullet there!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm almost certain "enlightenment" was just the excuse Toph used to tell everybody to gently caress off while she went and partied and had adventures. Toph-brand enlightenment.

More like "enlightenment" was an excuse for buggering off to live without any more responsibilities and relax because she was getting sick of that poo poo.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Drifter posted:

Letting a whole village starve to death is not villainous?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MikusR posted:

It's pragmatic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MikusR posted:

She said "I'll help you, but I need your help too. I can't afford to give handouts. You can't defend yourself, so feeding you once is pointless when as soon as I leave the same poo poo will happen to you again. I'm unifying the kingdom, and if you want to be safe from poo poo like these bandits forever, I will protect you if you become a part of my kingdom. Otherwise, good luck being bandit food, because I've got a kingdom to make."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2014

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Only two episodes aired, and we already have Kuvira apologists. Took about half a season for Zaheer.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

The governor complained that it was debilitating. He was free for three years not paying taxes or whatever. And then he wanted free help.

I know who the real villain was. :colbert:

Hey, I think Kuvira is the most badass challenge to Korra since Amon (at least before the finale of his season). Metalbending chick bringing order to a fractured kingdom through brute badassery and a seemingly endless supply of magically appearing metal strips? Where do I sign up?

Rosalind posted:

Is this a complaint? I don't think LoK has been overbearing with TLA characters making appearances. As excited as we get when we see Zuko or Toph, they aren't overshadowing the main characters.

Heck, I was complaining earlier in the thread about wanting Katara to do more. TLA characters have played a major role in the series, especially with the adult characters, but it's more a "living up to their legacy" sort of deal than a "let me defeat all your villains for you" thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PiedPiper posted:

Only two episodes aired, and we already have Kuvira apologists. Took about half a season for Zaheer.

You're just jelly that somebody is doing a far more effective job at creating a safe kingdom than Korra.

Don't be so jelly. It's gone to far. I'm going to call the jelly school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'll be honest, I'd gotten to like the cast of the old series mostly being gone or out of the limelight since it being a new era with new characters is a key part of the show. Part of me kinda hoped that Korra would find something left by Toph to give her guidance or something, rather than the woman herself.

On the other hand, it's not like Zuko and Katara have done much more than add a feeling of continuity to the show without overshadowing the main cast, and Toph especially has been played up as a transformative figure who still looms large in the lives of her daughters, and has appeared in flashbacks both of her and of Korra's past life in Aang. Even if there was no original series, she'd be a person of importance that viewers would know and be interested in seeing.

• Locked thread