Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mikl posted:

Miklagard, not Constantinople.

You're welcome.

FUN FACT: "Miklagard" literally means "big city" in Old Norse. And it's still the name they use for Istanbul in Iceland and the Faroe Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

I sincerely doubt this would be the motive for a writer of Yukimura's quality.

If you can find any other explanation for that then I'm all ears. The author even specifically hand-waved it with her remembrance of her first husband going away before the wedding night, which is ridiculous (and bad writing too).

So, why mention it? Why make a historical widow a virgin? The only other reason I can think about, is to make the stabbing a little more plausible. But that, at the same time, is pretty weak. The fact that consummating the marriage would totally put an end to any last hope she had of living another kind of life should be more than enough reason for this character to unconsciously stab her husband.

So, in any way I frame it, it looks like lovely writing and it is precisely because the writer is so good that it jumped to me. In any case, it is not a big deal, but it is disappointing.

Gyges posted:

Did Vikings even care about the maidenhood of their wives outside noble marriages?

They certainly wouldn't care in an arranged marriage done specifically out of business concerns by very pragmatic people.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Also, re-marriage was pretty drat common. Infidelity was a big deal but whether a woman was a maiden or not much less so.

Also, love rival sneaked into the room and stabbed the guy, right? Gudrid certainly didn't seem to be thinking about anything like that.

trucutru posted:

If you can find any other explanation for that then I'm all ears. The author even specifically hand-waved it with her remembrance of her first husband going away before the wedding night, which is ridiculous (and bad writing too).

Well, it is something you would most likely think about if it was about to be the first time you did it...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Munin posted:

Also, love rival sneaked into the room and stabbed the guy, right? Gudrid certainly didn't seem to be thinking about anything like that.

It was her, it was an instinctual panic response to something she hated.

The knife sheath on the bed is the same one she was wearing right before.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Munin posted:

Norse Johnny Cochran in the house.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

pentyne posted:

It was her, it was an instinctual panic response to something she hated.

The knife sheath on the bed is the same one she was wearing right before.

heh "Oops! I kinda semi possibly accidentally stabbed you. I didn't mean to do that."

Yeah, looking at it again there definitely doesn't seem to be any other explanation.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Munin posted:

heh "Oops! I kinda semi possibly accidentally stabbed you. I didn't mean to do that."

Yeah, looking at it again there definitely doesn't seem to be any other explanation.

Well, as long as she doesn't go "well Thorfinn, I-it's is not like I ripped that dude's head off and sunk his ship because I thought you would like it or anything" everything should be fine.

Ah, who am I kidding? this manga is not going to return to the good old hyper-violence (and that's actually pretty great, I like its pacifist rear end quite a lot)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If this manga ever gets a real life adaptation, the role of Thorkell is already cast.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow got himself stabbed by accidentally knocking the knife out. He is kind of a moron.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:nws:New Cesare! :nws:

A bit of politicking and a bit of renaissance whoring.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New Historie.

It's going down. :jihad:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Goddamn that stupid loving snake on Alexander's face still bugs me.

Also I there is nothing better than an army of pikemen carrying sarissas.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Goddamn that stupid loving snake on Alexander's face still bugs me.

Also I there is nothing better than an army of pikemen carrying sarissas.
Yeah, what's the deal with that anyway? Is that just a tattoo the manga-ka of Historie decided Alexander should have or just a nasty birthmark or something? I'm familiar with all the snake-themed stuff with Olympias and Alexander, but I don't ever remember people talking about a snake on his face. :v:
Gotta go get some laser surgery bruh.

Demosthenes and Chares were great though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, what's the deal with that anyway? Is that just a tattoo the manga-ka of Historie decided Alexander should have or just a nasty birthmark or something? I'm familiar with all the snake-themed stuff with Olympias and Alexander, but I don't ever remember people talking about a snake on his face. :v:
Gotta go get some laser surgery bruh.

Demosthenes and Chares were great though.
It gets better when its revealed that Alexander has a multiple personality disorder and his other personality is known as Hephaistion :psyboom:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't believe I've seen it posted in the thread, so let's talk about

Chang Ge Xing or Song of the Long March

Ala wikipedia

The Xuanwu Gate Incident (玄武門之變) was a palace coup for the throne of the Tang dynasty on 2 July 626,[a] when Prince Li Shimin (Prince of Qin) and his followers assassinated Crown Prince Li Jiancheng and Prince Li Yuanji (Prince of Qi).[1] Li Shimin, the second son of Emperor Gaozu, was in an intense rivalry with his elder brother Li Jiancheng and younger brother Li Yuanji. He took control and set up an ambush at Xuanwu Gate, the northern gate leading to the Palace City of the imperial capital Chang'an. There, Li Jiancheng and Li Yuanji were assassinated by Li Shimin and his men. Within three days after the coup, Li Shimin was installed as the crown prince. Emperor Gaozu abdicated another sixty days later and passed the throne to Li Shimin, who would become known as Emperor Taizong

What doesn't show up on Wikipedia is how Li Jiancheng's daughter reacted.

So yeah, revenge and war and intrigue and mongols and all that good stuff you come to this thread for.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 17, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

achillesforever6 posted:

It gets better when its revealed that Alexander has a multiple personality disorder and his other personality is known as Hephaistion :psyboom:

Historically it's pretty clear that Alexander and Hephaistion had a gay thing going on, so does this mean that in the manga Alexander *really* loves himself?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Punc posted:

Historically it's pretty clear that Alexander and Hephaistion had a gay thing going on, so does this mean that in the manga Alexander *really* loves himself?

There had been a quote saying something like Alexander and Hephaistion as having one body, everyone is pretty sure the guy who said it meant those two were so close and inseparable. But the manga author probably read that thought it'd be interesting to make them actually one person. It's more of a challenge than simply making Alexander and his lover/best friend for sure.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reading the last weird chapter of Kingdom...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kingdom/Vol-037-Ch-403--The-Queen-Mother-s-Goal?id=208619
glancing down at the kissmanga comment section for some masochistic reason

quote:

MAS :3 DarkSilverSky • 3 days ago
i kinda want i kinda want to have sex with her coz i think she will satisfied me... huhuhuhuhut
have sex with her coz i think she will satisfied me... huhuhuhuhu
:lol:

That's the Queen Mother for you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Vinland Saga 108

We're off to have an adventure!!! :neckbeard:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In true Viking fashion, stabbings are the solution to all of life's problems.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Vinland Saga 108

We're off to have an adventure!!! :neckbeard:

Man the author is doing a good job of making Thorfinn remind me of Thors.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I think this is the closest thread for this question. I remember once reading a manga about a dude in a WW2 era mercenary fighter pilot school in a fictional world which had a plot involving the dude's dad who abandoned the family for his duty to save a princess he was a retainer for or something. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and remember it's name? Alternatively recommend me some other historical manga that involves WW1/2 planes and dogfighting.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Oo Koo posted:

I think this is the closest thread for this question. I remember once reading a manga about a dude in a WW2 era mercenary fighter pilot school in a fictional world which had a plot involving the dude's dad who abandoned the family for his duty to save a princess he was a retainer for or something. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and remember it's name? Alternatively recommend me some other historical manga that involves WW1/2 planes and dogfighting.

This should be Anuki.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Some more Hannibal action Ad Astra - Scipio to Hannibal chapter 4.

Hannibal is pretty good with words and :smug:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just want to give an another endorsment to Vinland. Reading through it again and it honestly is one of my favorite things ever.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good news ! Emma is getting rerelased by yen press as 2 in 1 hardcovers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cesare: I don't remember where I stopped reading but does it any better? IIRC it got extremely melodramatic w/a love triangle? I did like the art but scanlations are on and off. Yes, free and all.

Shoukoku no Altair: Is this considered historical fiction? It's a more accurate non-magical Magi if that makes any sense to the readers. Everyone should read it for the detailed art and mildly OP main strategist and his party set in ancient Turkey and/or Middle East. Scanlations aren't that far behind the raws which is a bonus too.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shoukoku-no-altair-r1094

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Shoukoku no Altair: Is this considered historical fiction? It's a more accurate non-magical Magi if that makes any sense to the readers. Everyone should read it for the detailed art and mildly OP main strategist and his party set in ancient Turkey and/or Middle East. Scanlations aren't that far behind the raws which is a bonus too.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shoukoku-no-altair-r1094

I finished the first chapter and I like the premise and the art, but it's completely drenched in Japanisms and a lot of painful manga cliches. Does it get better?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Brannock posted:

I finished the first chapter and I like the premise and the art, but it's completely drenched in Japanisms and a lot of painful manga cliches. Does it get better?

Not really if you disliked the first chapter sorry to say. I admit I just really wanted to stay around for the nice art and it not being in Europe :gbsmith:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alder posted:

Cesare: I don't remember where I stopped reading but does it any better? IIRC it got extremely melodramatic w/a love triangle? I did like the art but scanlations are on and off. Yes, free and all.
It's a fairly solid series. I don't remember a love triangle, but to be fair I've been reading it for a while with a slow update rate so there are probably entire plot points that I've faded away. The recent chapters have been decent, entertaining, fairly interesting, Cesare was never a "blow you away" series on par with Historie, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, but it's a fairly worthwhile historical manga overall.
I was initially put off by the visual style, which isn't my typical cup of tea, but the historical intrigue and drama kept me in.
I'd retain it all better if it updated faster, but to be fair that's the same story with most manga I'm following including Historie/Berserk/etc. I'll just have to reread these when they're done in 25 years. :hydrogen:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

coathat posted:

Good news ! Emma is getting rerelased by yen press as 2 in 1 hardcovers.

I've never actually read Emma despite digging Bride's Story a lot; is it worth picking up? I do love me some hardcovers...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zorak posted:

I've never actually read Emma despite digging Bride's Story a lot; is it worth picking up? I do love me some hardcovers...

Do you enjoy cross-class romances between commoners and the genteel in Victorian England? Because Emma is pretty much a standard example of that by design with really pretty art etc. It's enjoyable but you won't be terribly surprised by anything.

It's basically the straight version of Johnathan and Speedwagon's relationship really.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The art is also not even remotely as pretty as in Bride's Story. It was kind of interesting to see a romance in Victorian England through eyes of a japanase author, but outside of that, it was pretty mediocre.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zorak posted:

The manga-ka is known for her fondness of maids/maid uniforms but it's actually well-researched historical fiction if not very slow-moving story. It's very calming though and the premise is simple to remember even if the reader stops and takes a break midway. It's not groundbreaking but I'd call it worth a read if you like SoF series w/not crazy characters showing up to break up the everyday drudgery.

I recall liking a lot of all the small details in the backgrounds of Victorian houses and outfits. The characters aren't that unique though.

I mean, even if you just read vol 1 you can predict how everyone will end up and it's not a surprise!tragedy either.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Basically, imagine a Jane Austen novel, given manga-esque stylings and a couple of Japan-isms.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's great. It's gorgeous, and the characters are very endearing. It's also tones better than the weird rear end second season of the anime crapped out to be.

Will it be the FULL full manga? I know that the final few chapters original showed up after the manga 'finished'

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

It's great. It's gorgeous, and the characters are very endearing. It's also tones better than the weird rear end second season of the anime crapped out to be.

Will it be the FULL full manga? I know that the final few chapters original showed up after the manga 'finished'

Emma the anime let me down a bit. Somehow the same art style came across as dull and faded out instead of interesting take on a Victorian time period. It's one of those rare series which didn't benefit from a anime adaptation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The music was relaxing. Honestly it would be just about impossible to keep up with the detail. More than anything the fact that they rewrote the second season almost entirely was a bigger disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Basically, imagine a Jane Austen novel, given manga-esque stylings and a couple of Japan-isms.

Well, without the witty social subversions.

I thought the art was pretty--not as consistently lush as A Bride's Story, but still pretty. It's kind of got that reverse-harem thing going on, where the incredibly boring titular character is beloved romantically and platonically by an infinitely more interesting cast. But the rest of it was interesting enough that I enjoyed it all the same (but I'm also a sucker for slice-of-life stories that go outside the Japanese school days trope).