Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

Re: truck sizes: I can easily see over my mom's F150, circa late 90s. Even on tiptoes, I can't see over the current F150s, which come with a set of loving stairs built into the tailgate.

As an option! And you totally don't need them, and apparently they can get clogged up with mud and poo poo pretty easy. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Modern cars are just too goddamn big in general. My 1991 S-10 Blazer is narrower and shorter than a current Toyota Camry.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thelightguy posted:

Modern cars are just too goddamn big in general. My 1991 S-10 Blazer is narrower and shorter than a current Toyota Camry.

I drove one of those most of last year, I was astounded how many "compacts" of the modern era were roughly the same footprint; hell, a lot of them weigh more than that truck!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^
My mazda2 is basically the only car that can actually comfortably fit in my courthouse's employee spots (there's also a couple of minis, two fiat 500s, and a smart), which appear to have been painted a very long time ago. Big trucks are comical there, but even camrys and stuff fill the whole spot.

Splizwarf posted:

why_I_won't_restore_a_beetle_for_my_wife.jpg:

:nms: http://imgur.com/YuoZFst.jpg :nms:

Probably nicked it from this thread, too. :v:

Well, okay, maybe if we just hung panels on a tubeframe...

Backstory: She was going the wrong way drown the freeway (DUI). He was, I assume, also doing 50+ before trying to stop. It isn't like that was a 30mph collision and even a modern car could have been a fatal (not that being in a beetle helped).

nm fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 11, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fucknag posted:

I drove one of those most of last year, I was astounded how many "compacts" of the modern era were roughly the same footprint; hell, a lot of them weigh more than that truck!

Crash standards are a bitch.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I mean, you say that, but then I'm buying a Fiat 500 Abarth next month which manages four and five star rankings without being the size of a WWII tank.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

thelightguy posted:

I mean, you say that, but then I'm buying a Fiat 500 Abarth next month which manages four and five star rankings without being the size of a WWII tank.

Yeah, but it's 2600lbs. A turbo corvair was only 2500lbs. The 401-XR gremlin was 2400lbs, and that had a 401 cubic inch V8. The ford pinto started at 2000lbs dead, was still rear wheel drive and could still seat 4 people without requiring 2 of them to be double above-the-knee amputees.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

thelightguy posted:

OK, so it's 4 inches narrower and 5 inches shorter than the S-10.

of course, it's way less long :ssh:

e: ^^^ :hfive:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I really hate that I missed out on the Z600 on craigslist for $500 because I legitimately couldn't figure out where I'd store it. It's almost a full two feet shorter and nine inches narrower than my civic :3:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

thelightguy posted:

The thing about those ratings is they are tested against standardized barriers at preset speeds. When you get crashed into by a 3 ton truck with the bumper at window height things don't turn out the same way.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

jamal posted:

The thing about those ratings is they are tested against standardized barriers at preset speeds. When you get crashed into by a 3 ton truck with the bumper at window height things don't turn out the same way.

True, but I've seen the frontal crash test video for the S-10 and it ended up with the engine in the driver's lap so it's probably an improvement.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Customer drops off her Durango for a wheel alignment, and makes no mention of any unusual noises or handling issues other than a crooked steering wheel.

"You mean you can't fix my wheel alignment? But that's why I came here!"

:bang:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Root Bear posted:

Customer drops off her Durango for a wheel alignment, and makes no mention of any unusual noises or handling issues other than a crooked steering wheel.

"You mean you can't fix my wheel alignment? But that's why I came here!"

:bang:

So how hard did the Drift Queen pitch that fucker into something to break a spring like that?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is it also missing lugnuts? :bravo:

Or did you remove those before finding the broken leaf?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Is it more likely that whoever did that exhaust work that is clearly recent is totally stunned and didn't see the failing spring, or that they did, advised her of it and she decided to ignore it and keep going for x miles?
Leaf springs don't often go from "no obvious flaws that you could see from 50ft away" to, well, that in less than the time it takes for a cheap muffler to start rusting.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Horrible owner failure here:

That's from just rolled into the shop, it's in for a timing belt change. 2003 with 32 miles on it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 11, 2014

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Horrible owner failure here:

That's from just rolled into the shop, it's in for a timing belt change. 2003 with 32 miles on it.

So, has it sat on a dealer lot for the last 11 years? Or was there some shenanigans with the odometer?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I assumed it was a museum/investment car of some kind.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
According to the reddit OP (who works at the shop) the owner bought it new, drove it home and parked it until now. He's selling it and took it to the shop to have it looked over. Owner's daily driver is a silverado.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

thelightguy posted:

True, but I've seen the frontal crash test video for the S-10 and it ended up with the engine in the driver's lap so it's probably an improvement.

No, probably not. Crash ratings are based on collisions with a vehicle of the same size. Hint: you do this by crashing the car into a wall/stationary object.

When you have a very large car hit a very small one, the damage is proportionate to the energy each of them is carrying. Size still rules; having a bigger car can offset a poor crash rating if you're hitting something small.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Here's the effects of a big ol' Chrysler Concorde (3,500lbs) vs my Honda Accord (2,800lbs). Dude blacked out while huffing and hit me on the drivers side at about 30-45° from head on. I was merging into the turn lane, making a left into a parking lot. He was leaving the parking lot and I guess just stood on the throttle across 2 lanes while he was blacked out. I was checking my mirror and just as I looked up I caught a short glimpse of the car just as it was hitting me. It totaled my car out, the frame was bent and both airbags deployed. It pushed my car back into my original lane at least a foot or two and I still have neck and back pain from it 3.5 years later. Their car was driving around with a junkyard bumper and fender shortly afterwards. The size difference isn't massive but that boat of a Chrylser definitely rocked me a lot harder than something smaller.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 11, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

According to the reddit OP (who works at the shop) the owner bought it new, drove it home and parked it until now. He's selling it and took it to the shop to have it looked over. Owner's daily driver is a silverado.

Time wise its a good idea to do that belt being made of rubber and all. Its not just miles that wear it out. Unless that car doesnt have a belt and the jokes on me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
My first car was an '87 Grand Marquis. When she bought it, my mother said "I don't want you to get in an accident, but if it happens, you'll win." She swapped me that for the Toyota van that my dad was trying to give me.

Engine's over and behind the front axle, under the driver's seat, behind the driver's legs. Jump the battery through the sliding side window on the driver's side, as it's behind the engine in the floor.

I rear-ended a bread truck with that Grand Marquis once, and savagely collapsed the grille, pushing it in. Car still ran fine, because it had a foot or more space between the grille and the radiator. I never fixed it, because I felt it gave me a visually threatening advantage in Philly traffic. v:v:v

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 11, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
This was the very first car I ever got in a wreck in.

Mine was significantly more rusty. Picked it up for $400 out of a Walmart parking lot. God, I miss that terrible fucker. It was like driving a couch with a rocket strapped to it. 4200lbs curb weight with a 5 liter v-8.

I got rear ended by a cop in it, didn't even scratch the bumper but put his cattle catcher into his radiator.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

God, I miss that terrible fucker. It was like driving a couch with a rocket strapped to it.

:hfive:

That's how I used to describe mine: two plush velour couches bolted to a fat V8, with some metal and glass thrown around them because ~laws~. Instead of an airbag, my passenger dash said "Ride Engineered :smugdog:".

I loving love the big poo poo from that era, they're like rolling sideways Gothic skyscrapers. Mine had a front end made of battlements and crenellations. It sounded angry, too (... from the holes in the exhaust :downs:).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Fart Pipe posted:

Time wise its a good idea to do that belt being made of rubber and all. Its not just miles that wear it out. Unless that car doesnt have a belt and the jokes on me.

Oh yeah he's doing everything right by getting it replaced. The failure here is buying an rs6 in 2003 and never driving it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

:hfive:

That's how I used to describe mine: two plush velour couches bolted to a fat V8, with some metal and glass thrown around them because ~laws~. Instead of an airbag, my passenger dash said "Ride Engineered :smugdog:".

I loving love the big poo poo from that era, they're like rolling sideways Gothic skyscrapers. Mine had a front end made of battlements and crenellations. It sounded angry, too (... from the holes in the exhaust :downs:).

I raced a guy in a lovely 90's Mustang in mine. He was very, very surprised that a grocery getter with 4 guys in it could chirp the rear tires and get going like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anyone can chirp bias ply tires

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Maybe, but mine hauled rear end a lot harder than someone my age deserved. That was the car where I learned that if you plant a hand in the roof, you can take turns a lot faster.

Liquid Communism posted:

I raced a guy in a lovely 90's Mustang in mine. He was very, very surprised that a grocery getter with 4 guys in it could chirp the rear tires and get going like that.

Mine looked like this, only dark blue:

:whatup:

Sorry for posting the opposite of thread content, here's some broke poo poo. This is a 14mm Craftsman wrench that belongs to a coworker. It's been used for nothing but oil changes (ie like 15-25 foot pounds).

He bought it about 4 months ago. :psyduck:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

EightBit posted:

Is it also missing lugnuts? :bravo:

Or did you remove those before finding the broken leaf?

Nope, that's how it came in. 4 out of 6 ain't bad, eh? :downs:

Tommychu posted:

Is it more likely that whoever did that exhaust work that is clearly recent is totally stunned and didn't see the failing spring, or that they did, advised her of it and she decided to ignore it and keep going for x miles?
Leaf springs don't often go from "no obvious flaws that you could see from 50ft away" to, well, that in less than the time it takes for a cheap muffler to start rusting.

I'm kicking myself for not getting a pic of it now; but judging by the quality of the rest of that muffler repair (booger welds, adapters into adapters, etc) it's clear there's no shortage of ignorance from both parties involved here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

vent valve on the 190s tank got stuck.

yeah uh. what the gently caress. I've never seen a tank collapse like that. Usually it'll stall the car out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:staredog:

Please post the manufacturer of your fuel pump, thanks in advance.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm guessing he filled it up when it was hot out and then it shrank overnight, actually. If it was the fuel pump that is drat impressive.

Splizwarf posted:

Maybe, but mine hauled rear end a lot harder than someone my age deserved. That was the car where I learned that if you plant a hand in the roof, you can take turns a lot faster.

Mine looked like this, only dark blue:

:whatup:

Sorry for posting the opposite of thread content, here's some broke poo poo. This is a 14mm Craftsman wrench that belongs to a coworker. It's been used for nothing but oil changes (ie like 15-25 foot pounds).

He bought it about 4 months ago. :psyduck:

I did this to a gearwrench brand 14mm, but it involved a 3 pound hammer and actually needing an impact wrench, not a gearwrench :v: Replaced on warranty :woop:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

cursedshitbox posted:

vent valve on the 190s tank got stuck.

yeah uh. what the gently caress. I've never seen a tank collapse like that. Usually it'll stall the car out.

Haha, this happened to my friend with the Rabbit TDI swap I got the ticket in. He was driving back from the midwest right after the swap sometime and the tank collapsed somewhere around Ohio leaving him with about 3-5 gallons of capacity and had to drive all the way back to Cape Cod like that. Good thing for ~50mpg!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just hit it with a torch till it pops itself back out

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

I'm guessing he filled it up when it was hot out and then it shrank overnight, actually. If it was the fuel pump that is drat impressive.

Happened within a few hours of a fillup on a 300mi road trip.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, when did you last see something suck that hard?

Don't answer, CSB.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Happened within a few hours of a fillup on a 300mi road trip.

:stonk:

Yeah, I need to know what fuel pump you have.

(you should be carrying a spare now, that can't be good for the pump.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pair of bosch pumps.

and uh yeah, I'm going to carry a spare cage incase this one takes a poo poo.

Initialdave: :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

Man, when did you last see something suck that hard?