Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

Ha anyone noticed that people start sentences with "so" now.

I've noticed it a lot in academics and women who aren't attracted to me.

So what?

ETA: Oh, new page. Um.. It won't mean anything to any of you, but I have finally been confirmed and have a mandate to do things. I've been waiting for months for this to happen. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stop insulting me.

!

made of bees
May 21, 2013
stop being so insultable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I fell in love with a woman who says so.

Not my wife.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

I fell in love with a woman who says so.

Not my wife.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, so.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That's no woman who begins sentences with so, that's my wife!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

That's no woman who begins sentences with so, that's my wife!

So she's your wife, is what you're saying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sou dayo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

So this means nothing to me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gaijin filth

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Ha anyone noticed that people start sentences with "so" now.

I've noticed it a lot in academics and women who aren't attracted to me.

Now? People have been doing that for ages.

Not as annoying as people who begin questions with the word question.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But what about the terminal form, even Obama uses that, so...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Willa Rogers posted:

jeremy scahill@jeremyscahillFollow
So, @ggreenwald & I were having breakfast & a truck pulls up with a statue of Edward Snowden:
10:33 AM - 10 Oct 14

Glenn standing just slightly in front of him, of course.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Joementum posted:

Both with hands awkwardly posed at their groins.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

:lol:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJRKgHt_D0

I feel sorry that Andrew Kaczynski will probably have to play this for BuzzFeed.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
So is it just me, or is democracy simply the distribution of limited resources over unlimited special interests? And that rhetoric seems to function primarily to filter radical ideas from discourse. And I've stopped finding those things cynical at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Democracy is pretty much the best way for rich people to not have to deal with people taking their poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

comes along bort posted:

Hell, back in the very early 2000s starting thread titles with "So I..." became so commonplace and annoying (if for no other reason then so many of there variations on "So I poo poo myself in public"), that Lowtax made it a bannable offense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

comes along bort posted:

quote:

So. The Spear-Danes in days gone by
and the kings who ruled them had courage and greatness.
We have heard of those princes’ heroic campaigns.”

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
i have a bad habit of starting sentences with "well..."

also i try to avoid the use of absolute qualifiers whenever possible and thus most of I say sounds like something some mealymouthed academic would say in a press release or an interview or something

ending sentences with "or something" is another one of my bad habits!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVT1NZtZPo or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWgUBFOCxB0

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

rscott posted:

i have a bad habit of starting sentences with "well..."

also i try to avoid the use of absolute qualifiers whenever possible and thus most of I say sounds like something some mealymouthed academic would say in a press release or an interview or something

ending sentences with "or something" is another one of my bad habits!
Avoid starting sentences with "Well" or "So" or "Because" and you'll find that your thoughts are a lot more direct in language. These are huge passive aggressive sentence starters.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Other than the fact that they drew a picture of Muhammed that looks kinda white, isn't all that pretty true and respectful?

Also how does Splinter know so much about Islam

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

euphronius posted:

Democracy is pretty much the best way for rich people to not have to deal with people taking their poo poo.

Pretty sure rich people usually manage to do pretty well no matter what the government is at the moment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Teenage Muslim Ninja Turtles

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Pretty sure rich people usually manage to do pretty well no matter what the government is at the moment.

No I don't agree. Autocracy in any flavor is historically deadly for the oligarchs. Not every time of course.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Doris Day version, of course. Bah, Cake. When an Israeli can cover your song and make it better, you know you're a hack.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

euphronius posted:

No I don't agree. Autocracy in any flavor is historically deadly for the oligarchs. Not every time of course.

I think it depends on how well each regime allowed oligarchs to play they're wealth into being part of the autocracy, but considering poo poo like the Templars happened I'll concede the point.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Other than the fact that they drew a picture of Muhammed that looks kinda white, isn't all that pretty true and respectful?

Also how does Splinter know so much about Islam

There's a few things that are wrong or at least questionable. The most obvious is that Muhammad received his first vision in 610 AD, not BC. I'm not sure where they got 'three thousand years ago', that goes against the Islamic tradition that the stone fell in the time of Adam and I don't think there's a secular consensus of when it fell or even if it fell at all. I'm also not sure where 'pre-Islamic Arabs didn't believe in an afterlife' came from, I guess some of them might have but a lot of them were Jewish or some variety of Christian.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
"Didn't believe in the after life" is probably meant to be "They didn't believe in religious subgroup's concept of what the after-life is."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We got a live one in the an-cap thread. Some goon out there is doing the Lord's work convincing anarcho-capitalists to spend :10bux:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
By the way, Alhazred, you never replied about bandes dessinées stores in Paris. Ended up going to a Boulinier and getting Aldebaran1, Avant l'Incal 1, and Alef Thau 2.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

paragon1 posted:

We got a live one in the an-cap thread. Some goon out there is doing the Lord's work convincing anarcho-capitalists to spend :10bux:

Im starting to think the difference between ancap and libertarian is how deeply they believe in NAP.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

My vote is for Pena Nieto for a little Latin flavor.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Im starting to think the difference between ancap and libertarian is how deeply they believe in NAP.

Nah, the difference is how many holes should be ventilated into them... :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shear Modulus posted:

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

obama

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paragon1 posted:

I would pay so much money to have a .mp3 of George Costanza yelling "YOU KNOW WE'RE LIVING IN SOCIETY" constantly while they were logged in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Felipe VI

• Locked thread