Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iTunes Match is the best, until you're ready to graduate to spotify and leave notions of "library" behind.

I agree, though there is the issue that sometimes license rights expire or things get removed or readded and as a result albums go missing from your library/collection/whatever without any notification from the streaming service you subscribe to, which can be annoying.

Spotify handled it the best of any service I've used; if a "new" version of an album comes out (usually to correct a bad encode or fix a playback issue), it automatically "links" the new version of the album (though you have to delete the old version and add the new version to your library to get rid of the ugly "linked" icon), while if something goes missing altogether it still stays in your library; the tracks just get greyed out.

On the other hand, I've had three of my favorite albums disappear from Google Play All Access at various points and only noticed when I went to listen to them. In the case of two of them, they were there in the artist's library; I just had to add them to my collection again (in one of those cases it was because they'd accidentally uploaded the edited version of the album instead of the explicit version). In the case of the third, it took a few months for it to come back.

I'm pretty sure that I've lost more music along the way but simply haven't noticed because it was a single song from an artist I don't listen to very often, which is honestly not that big of a deal, but some transparency would be nice.

[Edit: I should qualify: this only happens to albums you haven't uploaded yourself (streaming only songs). When I switched to streaming services a few years ago, I stupidly just added streaming versions of all my music and then deleted it from my hard drive to save some space. At the very least, keep a backup of the music you add on a hard drive somewhere or, in the case of Google Music, just upload your entire collection to prevent these issues.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iTunes Match is the best, until you're ready to graduate to spotify and leave notions of "library" behind.

Yeah I know it's not the best for people with a lot of obscure stuff but ever since Spotify added the ability to have a real library (rather than having to set up playlists for everything) I've abandoned everything else.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yeah I know it's not the best for people with a lot of obscure stuff but ever since Spotify added the ability to have a real library (rather than having to set up playlists for everything) I've abandoned everything else.

I never understood this issue; I treated the "Starred" songs as my library, which worked perfectly for me. Though I suppose having something called a "collection" instead makes more sense.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Because it made it really hard to find specific artists and albums. I had thousands of starred songs which made it impossible to sort through especially on mobile.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
I'm on restore number loving four because apparently syncing books is a big goddamn no no. Once again; This has happened on every phone I've had since the 4 so it's not an issue with my phone. I have Spotify but I'm not too much of a fan to be honest. I checked out the link above and none of those options seem to be viable with iOS 8 unless I'm missing something.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Because it made it really hard to find specific artists and albums. I had thousands of starred songs which made it impossible to sort through especially on mobile.

Oh, fair enough. My music use case on my phone is that I'll either shuffle my entire collection, which Starred worked great for (though I don't think my local files appeared there... which I think they STILL don't do with the new Spotify) or listen to an album straight through, in which case I preferred to use search instead of scrolling through my entire library to find it.

I don't think I've ever used the Artists or Albums panes of any media program ever. At least not the ones that had a half decent search feature.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Lilf posted:

I'm on restore number loving four because apparently syncing books is a big goddamn no no. Once again; This has happened on every phone I've had since the 4 so it's not an issue with my phone. I have Spotify but I'm not too much of a fan to be honest. I checked out the link above and none of those options seem to be viable with iOS 8 unless I'm missing something.

Do yourself a favor and upload your music to Google Music. It's free and works great. When you add new albums to your collection you can either use their app to upload new stuff in the background or just drag and drop into the web interface. They haven't updated the iPhone app for iOS 8 yet, but it works just fine. There's even a great Windows 8 app called OutColdPlayer that gives you a "desktop" interface for it, and there's an extension for Chrome that gives you a popout windows with playback controls (ideal for listening at work).

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

lelandjs posted:

Do yourself a favor and upload your music to Google Music. It's free and works great. When you add new albums to your collection you can either use their app to upload new stuff in the background or just drag and drop into the web interface. They haven't updated the iPhone app for iOS 8 yet, but it works just fine. There's even a great Windows 8 app called OutColdPlayer that gives you a "desktop" interface for it, and there's an extension for Chrome that gives you a popout windows with playback controls (ideal for listening at work).

I actually have Google music. I quit using it because every time I'd open the app it would crash and would just get incredibly frustrating to use, also it seems to have issues with music I purchased through iTunes for some reason. Really; I'm honestly just going to have to suck it up and deal with iTunes as it is until they fix the issue. I'm willing to give Google Music another shot if they fixed the frequent crashing issues the app had. Have they finally fixed it? On the plus side I got my swanky black leather case today.

Edit: I should also clarify that I'm using a mac with yosemite beta but this issue has been around since before then. Maybe when the GM is released it'll be resolved.

Lord Lilf fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 11, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Lilf posted:

I actually have Google music. I quit using it because every time I'd open the app it would crash and would just get incredibly frustrating to use, also it seems to have issues with music I purchased through iTunes for some reason. Really; I'm honestly just going to have to suck it up and deal with iTunes as it is until they fix the issue. I'm willing to give Google Music another shot if they fixed the frequent crashing issues the app had. Have they finally fixed it? On the plus side I got my swanky black leather case today.

I have had zero issues with it on my 6 Plus. Works the same or better than it does on Android (including gapless playback over Bluetooth, which may have been an issue with the app or my old Android phone, I'm not sure).

As for the issues with iTunes downloads--it can't upload songs that have DRM. If that's the case with a decent amount of your collection, you have two options; you can either play iTunes to "upgrade" your music to the DRM-free version or use iTunes in the cloud instead. Alternatively you could obviously acquire DRM free versions of the music you've bought through alternate means and upload that, through that has obvious legal issues depending on how you look at it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds to me like you probably got cursed by a gypsy woman and it's causing all software to break for you.

Last time I used Spotify their desktop app was built in Flash. gently caress that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lelandjs posted:

you can either play iTunes to "upgrade" your music to the DRM-free version or use iTunes in the cloud instead.

How are people, especially people who use Apple products, still believing this "you have to pay to remove DRM for iTunes songs"? No you do not. You can re-download all music purchases from iTunes and they will be DRM-free. Even if you bought a song in the DRM dark ages and it used 128-bit AAC. Every song will be DRM-free and 256-bit AAC.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I know this sounds dumb, but is the 5s still a viable, decent choice? I've had a Galaxy for a while and one of the things that annoyed me was the size (among other Android wonkiness). My wife has an iPhone 5 and the form factor seems like it would be much better for what I'm looking for. I'd just hate to buy a phone on a 2 year contract that I'm going to regret 6 months down the line.

From the research I've done, the 5s still seems like a really good phone even though it doesn't have the new hotness of the 6 and 6+. I'm just trying to gather some real world opinions on the idea.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

flosofl posted:

How are people, especially people who use Apple products, still believing this "you have to pay to remove DRM for iTunes songs"? No you do not. You can re-download all music purchases from iTunes and they will be DRM-free. Even if you bought a song in the DRM dark ages and it used 128-bit AAC. Every song will be DRM-free and 256-bit AAC.

Only if you use iTunes Match are they automatically DRM-free. I just re-downloaded some songs my wife bought in 2004. She doesn't use iTunes Match; they came down as 128kbps AAC, DRM-wrapped. Meanwhile, I have Match enabled and I get upgraded versions automatically.

The Apple doc makes it clear - if you want upgraded DRM-free music, pay for Match.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I know this sounds dumb, but is the 5s still a viable, decent choice? I've had a Galaxy for a while and one of the things that annoyed me was the size (among other Android wonkiness). My wife has an iPhone 5 and the form factor seems like it would be much better for what I'm looking for. I'd just hate to buy a phone on a 2 year contract that I'm going to regret 6 months down the line.

From the research I've done, the 5s still seems like a really good phone even though it doesn't have the new hotness of the 6 and 6+. I'm just trying to gather some real world opinions on the idea.

The 5s still has a good two years left, I'd say. Hardware wise the 6 is only about 50% faster (which isn't a lot when you consider that 5s was twice as fast as the 5) and is on the favorable side of the 64-bit transition. Something I've been thinking about adding is a list of what you get by upgrading, but the only things you're missing from the 5s that the 6 has are the larger screen, NFC for Apple Pay, an incrementally better camera, and VoLTE support (I believe.) If none of those are must haves, then go for it.

For what it's worth, my 5 still feels extremely responsive; I upgraded to the 6 for some of the new features but I wouldn't have minded sticking with my 5 for longer of I hadn't been able to upgrade.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And if you were going to buy the watch, then you'll have the NFC support bridged over to the watch even if you don't have a 6.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

fleshweasel posted:

It sounds to me like you probably got cursed by a gypsy woman and it's causing all software to break for you.

Last time I used Spotify their desktop app was built in Flash. gently caress that.

The issue seems to be that if I previously manually managed music that it won't correctly sync the song if I try to enable the sync music button and select specific artists or albums. Instead they will all be reddish circles with squares. If I switch back manually manage music it will sync some things but not others. I think I'm pretty much stuck with it until Apple decides they want to fix this. Also Google Play still crashes on me. If I try to sync books it wants to erase the entire library on the phone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kitten smoothie posted:

Only if you use iTunes Match are they automatically DRM-free. I just re-downloaded some songs my wife bought in 2004. She doesn't use iTunes Match; they came down as 128kbps AAC, DRM-wrapped. Meanwhile, I have Match enabled and I get upgraded versions automatically.

The Apple doc makes it clear - if you want upgraded DRM-free music, pay for Match.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711

Well poo poo. I apologize for spreading incorrect information. I have Match but didn't realize it was a feature for that only.

That said, that's a bunch of bullshit from Apple. Unless it's an issue in the contract with the record labels. Then it's bullshit from Apple for not negotiating better and from the labels for trying to hold back the tide.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So does that make articles like this one false?

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/kill-itunes-drm/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

So does that make articles like this one false?

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/kill-itunes-drm/

The comments in the article said "when I re-downloaded it, it came down as an m4p," so it sounds like the author of that article had Match and didn't realize it was a benefit of Match that you got iTunes Plus files free.

I'll throw out there that one thing that you can do with Match is to use it to strip DRM from files someone else bought, provided you have the password to their account.

For instance, my main desktop Mac has files my wife bought on her account. We used her password to authorize my computer to play the files. I pay for Match, and I uploaded that machine's library.

Then, on my work computer, I can download those files she purchased, DRM-free. It seems like so long as you're authorized to play the files, Match adds them to your cloud library and they're treated as though you bought them yourself.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm sure that's true if you're not a sperg like me, but I'm just not a fan of paying more for access to music I don't have any interest in. Most of the stuff I listen to isn't on Spotify.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm sure that's true if you're not a sperg like me, but I'm just not a fan of paying more for access to music I don't have any interest in. Most of the stuff I listen to isn't on Spotify.
I'm in the same boat. A good number of the bands I listen to a lot lately aren't on Spotify, or they only have a few of their songs up, so that makes the service kinda pointless as a whole for me.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
For me, it's about ownership. As much as you can "own" a digital file...

I've just always liked collecting and like to have all my stuff with me.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So the issues with not being able to call from my house is still a problem, and not a defect on my specific phone. I had a friend come over who also had T-Mobile and an iPhone 6 and his calls had terrible reception and was cutting out just like mine was. I bought a $10 dumb phone to hold me over until I get a real phone, and the calls work fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 11, 2014

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm gonna say T-Mobile.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is anyone experiencing lots of crashes with their 5s running iOS 8.0.2? My phone just hard boots at least 3-5 times a day randomly.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

1997 posted:

I'm gonna say T-Mobile.

I have never had a problem with T-Mobile cell reception before, and my dumb phone is on the same plan my iPhone was.

obi_ant posted:

Is anyone experiencing lots of crashes with their 5s running iOS 8.0.2? My phone just hard boots at least 3-5 times a day randomly.

I was having this issue with mine, too. 8.0.2 has been buggy for some people, I'm sure it will be fixed when they send out 8.1

Missed where you said 5s. This was happening on my 6.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Update on pictures only half-loading/being corrupted: Swapped SIM cards, still happens. Guess it's a hardware issue after all.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

various cheeses posted:

Update on pictures only half-loading/being corrupted: Swapped SIM cards, still happens. Guess it's a hardware issue after all.

It's happening on my 6, my wife's 5s, and my LTE iPad Air, so it's not something unique to the 6 or 6+. I very briefly tried loading a page I always have a problem with on my sister's 5s (who's on a different AT&T account) and it seemed to work, but it could have just been luck. So maybe there's something screwy in our account configurations?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

MrNonacho posted:

It's happening on my 6, my wife's 5s, and my LTE iPad Air, so it's not something unique to the 6 or 6+. I very briefly tried loading a page I always have a problem with on my sister's 5s (who's on a different AT&T account) and it seemed to work, but it could have just been luck. So maybe there's something screwy in our account configurations?

AT&T found nothing unusual in my network configs though and it doesn't seem to happen on wifi either. What happens to yours? My pictures just half load with the occasional purple/black/etc pixels at the bottom of the graphic. Webpages load fine as well as streaming video. It's annoying as gently caress because it requires resetting my safari history to fix it.

Edit: looks like there's finally a thread on it: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6563683?start=0&tstart=0

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 11, 2014

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

various cheeses posted:

AT&T found nothing unusual in my network configs though and it doesn't seem to happen on wifi either. What happens to yours? My pictures just half load with the occasional purple/black/etc pixels at the bottom of the graphic. Webpages load fine as well as streaming video. It's annoying as gently caress because it requires resetting my safari history to fix it.

Pretty much the same thing here. Mostly partially-loaded images and the occasional noisy/speckled corrupted image. Only over cellular and happening with LTE enabled or disabled. Everything else loads fast and streaming is fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holy cannoli! I had to digitally sign for a postmates delivery and the guy pulled out the smallest loving iPhone! It's crazy how small the 4/4s seems now that I have a plus. I'm not loving around, it felt like a parody of a phone.

Crazy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very true except replace 4 with 6 plus and 6 plus with 4.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dear Apple, please stock more 128gb Space Grey 6's on AT&T at your stores. Thank you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fleshweasel posted:

Very true except replace 4 with 6 plus and 6 plus with 4.

Yes I certainly wasn't claiming one to be the right phone and one the wrong... More that after using the 6+ a couple weeks, I've grown accustomed and the older ones feel foreign. :)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This man is cool and correct, gently caress a screen protector.

Sorry to quote such an old post, but I haven't noticed anyone talking about tempered glass screen protectors.

My wife is replacing her iPhone 4, and that thing is scratched to hell. I know the new 6's have a better camera lens in terms of scratch resistance, and that the screens have some finger print resistant magic.

Is a tempered glass screen protector worth it to help against screen scratches for these things, or should I stay the gently caress away?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Sorry to quote such an old post, but I haven't noticed anyone talking about tempered glass screen protectors.

My wife is replacing her iPhone 4, and that thing is scratched to hell. I know the new 6's have a better camera lens in terms of scratch resistance, and that the screens have some finger print resistant magic.

Is a tempered glass screen protector worth it to help against screen scratches for these things, or should I stay the gently caress away?

iPhones started using Gorilla Glass starting with the 4S, which makes a huge difference. The screen on the 6 will not get scratched unless you're carrying (exposed) knives in your pocket or something. Even then you should be fine really. You can see this guy forcefully cutting at the screen of a iPhone 5 with a big knife to no effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-mnz7J-8I

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Small pieces of sand/other hard gritty stuff will scratch the screen in the pocket or when you're cleaning it with a cloth.

People don't usually think of the small bits of grit you pick up in your pockets as being harder than knives, but they are.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 12, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Regarding music sync issues, apparently glitchy iTunes duplicates of songs you've bought can be a cause for this.
http://robservatory.com/a-nasty-little-itunesios-bug-may-be-causing-media-sync-issues/

I've found at least one duplicate of a song in my library which I've now deleted, so hopefully another (!!!) complete wipe and resync should work this time. loving hell, I hope iTunes 12 will just work and not keep doing this when it launches because I don't fancy going through every last one of my songs to find more duplicates (apparently iTunes' dupe finder doesn't always find the offending files).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah the thing is people act like you gotta carry something ridiculous in your pocket but nearly everyone has sand grit.

Tons of folks post about "gently caress screen protectors my poo poo is fine" and I feel like a good percentage of those same people post in the future like "well, it finally happened..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Tons of folks post about "gently caress screen protectors my poo poo is fine" and I feel like a good percentage of those same people post in the future like "well, it finally happened..."

On the other hand, I feel like I have not noticed a good percentage of people saying those things.