Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally The Worst posted:

Lightning and Cardigan come with their boosters I think.

All HGBF kits come with their respective Boosters, unless they're noticeably different like the Skull Booster or Powered Arms Powereder which are actual upgrades on the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

DamnGlitch posted:

First attempts at dryrubs have gone... poorly. they really couldn't put a little more space between decals to make them easier to cut and then adhear, huh?

Try fixing them in place with some low-tack scotch tape before you apply them.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bimmi posted:

Try fixing them in place with some low-tack scotch tape before you apply them.

Oh yeah I did that. I will have to tape it down more tightly next time. I'm 0/2 so far on 'doesn't look like rear end'.

worse case I can just rub em off with a fingernail but bleh.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Dry transfers are basically a tool of Satan but what can ya do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Build Burning Gundam and GM Cardigan are apparently out in Japan. Come on HLJ, where's that email about my HG BBG order... :f5:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
This is bad. I've been watching season 1 of Build Fighters and after every episode I'm finding myself wandering to amazon to look at more kits, lol.

This weekend I hope to finish painting my Zaku and then getting started on my RG RX 78 2

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Stopped by the hobby store and found this for $30

http://smile.amazon.com/Gunpla-Builder-GPB-06F-Super-Custom/dp/B003VPYN2C/

And also a SD RX-78-2. Which makes the first rx-78 i actually have. They had a MG 78 but it was the ver 2.0 and their prices on mg can swing from close/slightly cheaper than amazon to what the hell.

Was tempted by a rg but i hadn't read the instruction manuals yet to see how bad these really are. I've only done hg so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

Stopped by the hobby store and found this for $30

http://smile.amazon.com/Gunpla-Builder-GPB-06F-Super-Custom/dp/B003VPYN2C/

And also a SD RX-78-2. Which makes the first rx-78 i actually have. They had a MG 78 but it was the ver 2.0 and their prices on mg can swing from close/slightly cheaper than amazon to what the hell.

Was tempted by a rg but i hadn't read the instruction manuals yet to see how bad these really are. I've only done hg so far.

If you want a good HG RX-78-02, get The Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2. It's the relatively recent G30th version. By all accounts the RG version is apparently something of a clusterbomb if you drop it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Lightning and Cardigan come with their boosters I think.

Your point?

The cardigan's already an octo-GM, but I'm tempted to say "gently caress it" and try for a dodecaGM. The Lightning BWS is just neat in and of itself, and I'm thinking of fitting it to a custom Blue Destiny unit. It's saner than most of AoZ...

I don't have a Neo Zeong-grade problem, honest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

By all accounts the RG version is apparently something of a clusterbomb if you drop it.

Or breathe on it. Or think about it. Or exist in the general vicinity, say a 100 mile radius, of it.

I'm glad I built it because it got me into the hobby but fuuuuuck that kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Got off my rear end and finally finished snapping together MG Norn.

It's pretty eh. As per usual MG Unicorn, it can't pose for poo poo and I had to glue some of the transforming bits for stability. And just like the original MG Banshee there are a ton of small stickers that I guess I could have painted but :effort:.

As you might have expected, the Revolving Launcher add-on to the Beam Magnum makes the whole thing too heavy for the hand to really hold. The Beam Jitte is neat, and if you attach it onto the gun the whole thing looks like some kind of crazy laser sword from far away. For some reason they give you an option to let the hand hold it though, so I did that.

The Armed Armor XC is the main star of the show in this kit, and it's actually pretty impressive. It needs a black sticker (which I painted), but the actual engineering is very nice and it incorporates silver foil stickers so the psychoframe actually shines. Not that that was useful for me since I went and painted all the psychoframe gray, but you know. It's nice. It's also probably the stablest part of the entire backpack.

Speaking of the back, it is kind of just a mess of plastic. There's a special attachment you can snap onto the DE to get it to reach past the XC to the backpack hardpoint, which unfortunately is really annoying to get off so you're probably going to either leave it on the back or on the arm. And since the DE is so drat heavy I'm pretty sure the Banshee can't hold it straight, I went with the back.

There's a lot of detail work left to do on these kits, but I'm honestly not sure if I'll bother. FA Unicorn plan B is the real show.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a good HG RX-78-02, get The Gunpla Starter Set Vol.2. It's the relatively recent G30th version. By all accounts the RG version is apparently something of a clusterbomb if you drop it.

drat they actually had that starter kit, I couldn't remember if it was that one or the one with the zaku that is the g30th version.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I find myself looking at amazon more and more for kits, even though I have around 5 in my backlog.

I curse my plastic addiction.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Build Burning Gundam and GM Cardigan are apparently out in Japan. Come on HLJ, where's that email about my HG BBG order... :f5:

Just checked on mine, and it's currently sitting in my private warehouse. Rather than wait for the Nobel I ordered to be restocked, I just went ahead and ordered a Powered GM Cardigan instead.

I've also got an Ez-SR preordered, and I'm still holding on to a GM Sniper K9... I think I might build the three of them as a team, going with a sort of Fighter-Mage-Thief composition (P-GM-C, GM Sniper K9, Ez-SR Itruder).

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What can i use to clean paint marker off a kit safely. Is isopropyl alcohol ok? I know I should watch that around decals.

I don't have any fancy paint cleaner stuff.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It depends on what type of paint, and if it's cured. Assuming you used a Gundam Marker, I'd recommend mineral spirits over iso alcohol any day of the week.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Just checked on mine, and it's currently sitting in my private warehouse. Rather than wait for the Nobel I ordered to be restocked, I just went ahead and ordered a Powered GM Cardigan instead.

I've also got an Ez-SR preordered, and I'm still holding on to a GM Sniper K9... I think I might build the three of them as a team, going with a sort of Fighter-Mage-Thief composition (P-GM-C, GM Sniper K9, Ez-SR Itruder).

Nice. If you want a better Sniper Rifle for the GM K9 that isn't horribly clunky and oversized, give System Weapon 004 a look for something with a big-rear end Anti-Materiel barrel :allears:. It also has a couple of swords that might suit your "Fighter" or "Thief".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just paid the shipping for Build Burning and RG Exia, can't fuckin wait.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well I'm back, turns out gundams look lonely when all by their selves.

Are there any suits with big, like tower shields?

Edit: Also any Aussies got recommendations for Melbourne stores to check?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

most GM models, Geara Doga Guards type. Just go down the list at http://www.dalong.net/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cassa posted:

Are there any suits with big, like tower shields?

Edit: Also any Aussies got recommendations for Melbourne stores to check?

Ah, you're on my turf. Here's the four major stores with Gunpla in descending order;

• One-Stop Anime; It's on Bourke St, just past the JB Hi-Fi. It's a little upstairs store, just follow the sign and take the lift up to the third floor. The range is pretty small, but they generally get things a couple of weeks within the Japanese release date so try your luck.

• Metro Hobbies; They're the big "mainstream" hobby shop in the city, for lack of a better description, but they have a really big selection of the HGUC line and have recently seemed to be catching up to the Japanese release date, as well as getting HGBF kits in (they used to lag a good couple of months behind on new releases). They're also the store with the best pricing, so try your luck and you can ask them to order in stuff for you. It's on Swanston St, near Flinders St Station. It's pretty hard to miss.

• Animasia; It's out in Carlton, just take a tram on Swanston St up to Melbourne University and go down Grattan St (the street just before the University tram stop) and you'll see it with an A-frame sign usually outside. They're a little more expensive and the owner's a bit :spergin:, but they're also the only game in town with Kotobukiya kits in stock.

• Hearn's Hobbies; Their selection's pretty small, but if you're looking for something random rather than something new, you might get lucky. It's right off Flinders St Station on the corner of Elizabeth St.

Minotaur Books on Elizabeth also gets a few Robot Damashii and Kotobukiya Frame Arms kits in, but they are horribly overpriced. Which is actually kind weird, considering they generally price the rest of their stock fairly well.

Additionally, if you really want a tower shield, try System Weapon 005 if you have a kit you want that lacks one. That and the big-rear end chaingun :allears:.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is amiami not australia friendly? Is it a tax issue?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJB0LK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
the fact that no other site is listing this kit except amazon is kind of weirding me out and making me think that maybe amazon won't get it or something. i guess i'll try checking koto's japanese site and see if it's even listed there

ok it's on bigbadtoystore too? all these american sites have it

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Fauxtool posted:

I've never tried amiami but I have had zero problems using HLJ to get kits over here. Even with shipping its still usually far cheaper than local.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

I've never tried amiami but I have had zero problems using HLJ to get kits over here. Even with shipping its still usually far cheaper than local.

Yeah I usually save about $5-10 over buying local by getting it from HLJ, even with fancy EMS shipping.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So for my FA Unicorn plan B, I was planning on using Alclad II's Scarabeus, a holochromatic paint that shifts from blue to green. I figured it'd be a good compromise between the plan B's actual color and my preferred Unicorn psychoframe shade. A friend of mine warned me that the Alclad Holochromatic Finishes need like a billion coats to actually stand out over the gloss black base and

he was completely right. Here's the result after four coats of Scarabeus and two coats of Future.

You have to look up close and shine a light for the green to pop and if you're not in straight up sunlight it almost never turns blue. It's a shame too, because the glittery effect is perfect for the psychoframe. Maybe I'll try spraying on some more coats later?

Should have gone with Mr. Crystal Color I guess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aren't the alclad paints meant for automotive applications where you do lots of thick coats and a thick gloss over it?

I had similarly poor results with chrome paints not meant for small scale work. You basically have to dip them to get the desired coverage

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, that's what you get for using car paint on gunpla.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, you can check the official instructions. They work just fine with plastic (and in fact, Alclad II is considered by many to be the outright best chrome paints in the hobby), you just need a primer.

I think I actually recommended their more regular paints to somebody else in the thread, and he got good results out of them. It's pretty much just the holochromatic finishes that are iffy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like you can still get use out of it for stuff like lenses that you can glob a fat drop onto and get the chromatic effect

Alclad is great for external pieces like model cars bodies how most people use it, but there is no way your psychoframe will still fit if you apply it per instructions. plus all that polishing is a bitch on small pieces

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 11, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh huh. I tried shining a flashlight on the pieces in a dimmer setting and

the paint practically came to life. Of course the lower amount of light means I can't get a good picture of it, but you should be able to see all the sparkles.

I think I can live with just having to put this under a spotlight.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

"The Build Burning Gundam is not included in this kit."

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Bimmi posted:

"The Build Burning Gundam is not included in this kit."

A pretty cool build would be Build Burning with half the Dom shell still on.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

peeNamaste posted:

A pretty cool build would be Build Burning with half the Dom shell still on.

Literally 20 seconds before I see this post, I spotted this on /m/.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, you're on my turf. Here's the four major stores with Gunpla in descending order;

Thanks! I wound up in one-stop anime today. They didn't have any Zeon kits in 1/100 that I liked the look of, and was told no photos :S Might have to train in tomorrow and try the others.

quote:

Additionally, if you really want a tower shield, try System Weapon 005 if you have a kit you want that lacks one. That and the big-rear end chaingun :allears:.

Oooooooh! My XXXG-01H could use another one if it weren't for scale issues...

Fauxtool posted:

Im a tactile shopper. I like to be swayed by pretty pictures when impulse shopping.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'm in deep now boys:

Gonna be keeping track of my progress on tumblr:

http://pyronicex.tumblr.com/post/99750708395/bearguy-iii-san-part-1

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Pyronic posted:

I'm in deep now boys:

You're not in deep until you have like two dozen kits sitting next to your desk that you haven't even started, and probably won't, for months, while you're planning your next purchase.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

everythingWasBees posted:

You're not in deep until you have like two dozen kits sitting next to your desk that you haven't even started, and probably won't, for months, while you're planning your next purchase.

I dont think my wallet could support that. This is about as deep I'll be able to go for a while, but im already eyeing the Ez8 custom and build burning.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Cassa posted:

I'm sure I'll be able to stop at one.

Cassa posted:

One of us. :allears:

My HLJ warehouse is building up, but I'm planning on waiting to ship out all my new stuff until the Bearguy F is out*. About at what point are there too many HG/SD models in a shipment for them to want to split it up?

*If I can. :v:

e: stuff

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So you guys spray your parts with them still on the sprues??

• Locked thread