Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So yeah, I'm giving this one an A.

And I'm a little disturbed that I agree with Myrddin Emrys, but whatevs~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
I had to pause on my laptop for a second to giggle when the Doctor offered the historian a cigar pack but with jelly babies. Loved it.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Perkins goes right there with Duggan for me as a temporary I wish could've been a full companion. Loved the ep, and given the Doctor's recent "Soldiers bad!" thing it's interesting to see him meet some soldiers for whom he can feel some sympathy, the ones who get chewed up and spat out by war.
And next week, invasion from Flatland!

Edit: Yeah, the cigarette case filled with jelly babies was a nice moment. On that note, the scene where the Doctor is talking with himself as he starts trying to work things out, was he doing a bit of Tom Baker for one of him there?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Really great episode, I was worried for awhile there that they were never going to address the previous call to come to the train.

If Clara does go, sign me up for Perkins for some more episodes next season.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well that was an amazing episode. And not just because it had Jenna Coleman as a flapper.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the thought now of the 11th Doctor convincing Amy and Rory to ditch the reception at their wedding to go solve the mystery of the mummy on the Orient Express, they wave goodbye and then he takes them somewhere completely different with the casual explanation of,"Oh come on, Ponds, that was clearly a trap!"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Frank Skinner was ace.

Also how long before Mr pink becomes a companion so with his army electrical skills can work on the tardis or something.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Also Frank Skinner out of nowhere was great, and I was really hoping he would take the doctors offer as a companion at the end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wyld Karde posted:

Edit: Yeah, the cigarette case filled with jelly babies was a nice moment. On that note, the scene where the Doctor is talking with himself as he starts trying to work things out, was he doing a bit of Tom Baker for one of him there?

There was a lot of really neat stuff with the Doctor clearly missing having Clara as a companion - he decided not to wake her and just do this himself which leads to him talking to himself, adapting some of the other guests to be quasi-companions etc and finally he just gives up and gives her a call... at which point he discovers she's been off on an adventure of her own.

The Bechdel Test joke was hilarious too.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Autonomous Monster posted:

So yeah, I'm giving this one an A.

And I'm a little disturbed that I agree with Myrddin Emrys, but whatevs~

Its OK, I usually say what everyone thinks but hates to admit. Imagine how my manager feels.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I'm really enjoying the Doctor-Clara subplot that's been going on this season, I think it's by far the best relationship plot that they've had since nu-who started. This weeks episode was surprisingly good as well.

I think I just enjoy the thought of The Doctor being a heartless bastard.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I really enjoyed that! It was nothing earth shattering, nothing huge going on but it just had a certain je ne sais quoi that worked for me. Capaldi and Coleman continue to be wonderful together, though you know that her decision at the end there is going to bite her on the arse horribly. I knew there was no way Frank Skinner was going to stick around but drat it, he actually made me want him to, never would have seen that coming.

And yeah, the 20s look will never not be wonderful.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quite liked that one. The Clara/Doctor thing got resolved a bit quickly I think (in terms of she was mad at him at the start and by the end they were all happy again) but I liked that she just shoved all the blame there on to Danny. That made me laugh.

Gonna have to look up who played Perkins, because he's great but I can never remember his name. I want to say Frank something, but not sure.

Also the mummy moved exactly like something else I can't recall. I think it was another Doctor Who baddy though. Oh, I liked the clock gimmick as well.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Frank Skinner

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

There was a lot of really neat stuff with the Doctor clearly missing having Clara as a companion -

Capaldi sold all that really well. And this episode seemed to get the right balance between his outward callousness, but inside heart. He does care, but he's also very pragmatic about things and won't waste the effort of trying to save someone he knows he can't.

EDIT: \/ Or it already HAS been with the way time travel is.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 11, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm guessing GUS will have something to do with Missy. Presumably the Mummy's tech will be reverse-engineered into the Nethersphere.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

McDragon posted:

Gonna have to look up who played Perkins, because he's great but I can never remember his name. I want to say Frank something, but not sure.

Frank Skinner, stand-up comedian, media personality and massive Doctor Who fan.

That was quite good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed this episode a lot. I'd watch it again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ, I just realized that if they were still doing split seasons there would have been months between Clara tearing the Doctor a new one and storming out and this episode.

Thank God there are no more split seasons.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The Bechdel Test joke was hilarious too.

What was the Bechdel Test joke? I must have missed it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

What was the Bechdel Test joke? I must have missed it.

Clara and Maisie are sitting together in the storage hold and start talking about the Doctor. Clara sighs and says,"Don't we have something better to talk about than a man?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That was really good, wasn't it? What a turn up for the books

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another great thing - he whips out the psychic paper to get around the Captain's questions but it backfires by giving him a thoroughly unimpressive "occupation"... and then the Captain actually bothers to look up his claim, discovers it is false and promptly arrests him, only releasing him when he realizes there is a greater and more immediate danger than a "nosy-parker".

I'm so glad that the psychic paper isn't being used as a crutch anymore. Same deal with the sonic screwdriver, it stops working and he says he has to guess what is causing that because he can't use the sonic screwdriver to tell him what is wrong with it!

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Wyld Karde posted:

Yeah, there was definitely a bit of 4th Doc being channelled there.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Really liked that episode, the setting, the mystery, the mixture of horror and just the right amount of sci-fi. Loved Frank Skinner.

I was disappointed that Clara had a 180 on the Doctor by the end of the episode but I liked that it was Clara being brought down to the Doctor's level rather than him being redeemed or changed by her or something.

Man, imagine if they'd used the Stanley Parable narrator from Time Heist as Gus. That would have been amazing casting.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

reality_groove posted:

Man, imagine if they'd used the Stanley Parable narrator from Time Heist as Gus. That would have been amazing casting.

Who was that voice anyway? Sounded drat familiar but I can't place him.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Itzena posted:

Yeah, there was definitely a bit of 4th Doc being channelled there.

There's a bit where Capaldi's talking to himself in the bedroom, and he does an absolutely dead-on Tom Baker impression saying 'A mummy, that only the victim can see.' It's incredible.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That worked really nicely as a "standard" episode, I enjoyed it. The stakes felt about right and the twist made just enough sense on a practical and emotional level to work.

Did they ever explain why the "mummy" went after the sick and traumatized? I guess it's possible that his role on the battlefield was to finish off wounded and fleeing enemies or something.

Sighence posted:

Who was that voice anyway? Sounded drat familiar but I can't place him.
Do you guys not get the credits or something? It's John Sessions, who's also mainly known for his comedy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Looke posted:

Frank Skinner

Barry Foster posted:

Frank Skinner, stand-up comedian, media personality and massive Doctor Who fan.

Ah yes, thanks. I should really just watch the credits I guess but I'm one of those people who has to turn off before the previews.

Also I realised today there's been a lot of times this series where the Doctor has lied to everyone to throw off the baddies. Like pretending to abandon Clara in Deep Breath and the suicide thing in Time Heist and I think a couple more with a bit of mental gymnastics. Actually, thinking about it, I think he's lied in every episode so far. Did Eleven lie this much? I can't remember. I know he did a bit.

Also also I found out what the mummy reminded me of. The mummy in The Rings of Akhaten. I guess he just remembered his clothes this time. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Doctor lies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just wait until the season finale when Danny Pink is taken into the distant past with the doctor, critically wounded and has a black plastic alien device implanted in him to save his life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did they ever explain why the "mummy" went after the sick and traumatized? I guess it's possible that his role on the battlefield was to finish off wounded and fleeing enemies or something.

It just struck me as basic survival instincts - target the weak and sick because you're more likely to succeed. The mummy needed energy to continue its now utterly redundant purpose, they were simply the easiest targets for that energy. There was no malice or even any thought behind it, the thing was essentially operating on auto-pilot until the Doctor figured out the one thing it needed to hear to satisfy the conditions to allow it to stop "fighting" and let the poor bastard finally rest.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, all pretense aside, I would love it if the Doctor had to deal with something truly, honestly supernatural some time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Burkion posted:

You know, all pretense aside, I would love it if the Doctor had to deal with something truly, honestly supernatural some time.

Counterpoint; I would absolutely hate it. Now, there isnt any practical difference between "The baddie has made up science powers" and "the baddie has magic powers" but for me it would totally go against the theme of the show.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
It's a pretty unsubtle theme that the Doctor's monsters this seasons are either soldiers, have deteriorating immortality, or both.

Still, I don't think I've seen a theme this consistent in terms of antagonists EVER.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Burkion posted:

I felt in a way the Beast/Devil thing in The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit was supernatural-like and the Doctor not really knowing what it was

madh
Dec 14, 2013
Excellent episode. Writer of the episode doing a AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2iyngn/i_wrote_tonights_doctor_who_and_next_weeks_ama/?sort=top

and a few things about episode at his blog. Hope we will see him again in Season 9. Excited about next week
http://jamiemathieson.blogspot.co.uk/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

Counterpoint; I would absolutely hate it. Now, there isnt any practical difference between "The baddie has made up science powers" and "the baddie has magic powers" but for me it would totally go against the theme of the show.

You can get the exact same effect by the Doctor simply not finding out the answer or complete picture in an episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Little_wh0re posted:

Senor Tron. You monster

It had to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That episode was absolutely fantastic. I loved the atmosphere, the story, all the character development, and it was non-stop with great references too. I cracked up at the jelly babies and the "Are you my mummy?" bits. Definitely one of my top three favorites from this season, along with Listen and Into the Dalek.

• Locked thread