Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

AnacondaHL posted:

If this continues the SCG Players Championship is going to be an amazingly awkward event.

Wasn't there a guy at Bertoncini's last Top 8 (it was a while ago) who basically didn't acknowledge his existence? Like, "Me, <name, name, name, name, name, name>, and some other guy." or something.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

I don't remember the Maro Mike Long comment but did his opinion basically at all take into account the fact that the Long era was basically the wild west of Magic compared to today? Chris Benafel, PTR, probably lots of other bad boys I don't remember were also playing around that time. It was a different era as far as quality of cheating enforcement and expectations of sportsmanship at the Pro Tour level. There's plenty of room for rivalry stories like between top teams, but I don't think we have to go back to people being toxic on the tournament floor.

I don't think he grades Long on a curve because of the era he played in so much as he thinks the Hall of Fame should embrace the villains of Magic history rather than just the exemplars.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So what MaRo is suggesting is we should have 2 Halls. One a Hall of Fame and the other a Hall of Infamy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cernunnos posted:

So what MaRo is suggesting is we should have 2 Halls. One a Hall of Fame and the other a Hall of Infamy.

No he's just saying that 'fame' doesn't have a moral component (which is true) and that therefore neither should the HoF (which is contentious and generally disputed)

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/79519836619/why-do-you-stand-by-mike-long-as-a-contender-for-the

quote:

I believe the Hall of Fame is supposed to be a living tribute to the history of the Pro Tour of which Long was a major part. I do not believe it is supposed to be moral yardstick to measure others against. And no, I do not believe Long will ever make the Hall.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
meanwhile at the pro tour, Sigrist has drafted a complete and utter pile

vvvvv and next to no fixing

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 11, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

meanwhile at the pro tour, Sigrist has drafted a complete and utter pile

"Complete and utter pile" is a legitimate archetype in KTK limited!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

No he's just saying that 'fame' doesn't have a moral component (which is true) and that therefore neither should the HoF (which is contentious and generally disputed)

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/79519836619/why-do-you-stand-by-mike-long-as-a-contender-for-the

Ahh, okay, so he was talking more about the Hall of Fame rather than who should be actively playing in competitive Magic right now? That makes sense. But then I still don't know that it has any direct application to the Bertoncini case.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Ahh, okay, so he was talking more about the Hall of Fame rather than who should be actively playing in competitive Magic right now? That makes sense. But then I still don't know that it has any direct application to the Bertoncini case.

I don't think it does, honestly, except maybe insofar as them playing up Mike Long in the past informs how sheepish they are about giving Bertoncini coverage now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think it does, honestly, except maybe insofar as them playing up Mike Long in the past informs how sheepish they are about giving Bertoncini coverage now.

Yeah, I'm not willing to ascribe a lack of Bertoncini on camera to unwillingness on Wizards' part to "reward the cheater." If they were confident enough that he would cheat that they made it a matter of policy not to show him then they simply would ban him from the tournament.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah, I'm not willing to ascribe a lack of Bertoncini on camera to unwillingness on Wizards' part to "reward the cheater." If they were confident enough that he would cheat that they made it a matter of policy not to show him then they simply would ban him from the tournament.

I don't think it's a punitive measure so much as people get loudly mad whenever he gets face time and it's rarely the case that there's not someone else equivalently worth featuring.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
watanabe is being trolled beyond belief by his deck

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

By Maro's logic we need to let butt-crack guy into the Hall of Fame.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Um excuse me it is called CRACKGATE.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

you make that sound like a bad thing

vvv lol it loving figures

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cernunnos posted:

Wasn't there a guy at Bertoncini's last Top 8 (it was a while ago) who basically didn't acknowledge his existence? Like, "Me, <name, name, name, name, name, name>, and some other guy." or something.

Yep, Fabiano, known fair-play stickler.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

mike long was actually good at magic though

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Butt-crack guy has honestly got more press coverage for Magic than Finkel ever did. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Matignon's Jeskai Student taking down the Riverwheel Aerialists was probably my favorite play of the event so far.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

qbert posted:

Yep, Fabiano, known fair-play stickler.

Here is a fun story about G.Fab from the last SCG Open, courtesy of The Source:

quote:

Only other interesting thing was my Round Nine match. I'll paraphrase the dialogue.

GFab: Hi, I'm Gerrard.
Me: Hi, I'm Damon. So, draw?
GFab: No.
Me: No? Uhh...we're first and second seed?
GFab: I know.
Me: So.......
GFab: So let's play.
Me(I know he's on BUG, with like two hate pieces): You got it buddy.(proceed to shuffle up)
Judge(grabs slip): I'll take this. Oh. What's going on?
GFab: We're playing it out.
Judge: Really? Well OK then.(sits down to watch)
Friend of Gerrard: Hey. We're going to get food. You coming?
GFab: We're playing it out.
Friend of Gerrard: Uh....you are playing for seeding? You'll still be in second or third with a draw.
GFab: And what if I want to play through the final?
Friend of Gerrard: Uhh......OK.(sits down to watch)
GFab: High Roll?(rolls a 2)(I roll a 16)
GFab: Oh. Never mind then. Want to draw?
Me(fuming, but exhausted): Sure. Fine.
Judge: What a dick move. Sign the slip.(we do) Let me get your decks so we can check before Top8.
GFab: No. I'm going to eat.
Judge: Uhhh, well we can't wait for you to eat. We want them done as soon as possible.
GFab: You gonna be responsible for it when I leave? No? Then too bad.
Judge: Ok. Wait here. I'll get the Head Judge to discuss this with you.
GFab: Get hosed, nerd. (walks out)[I might have editorialized that last line. But that was the intent of his statement.]

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Just about everything I read about SCG tournaments, and PTQs for that matter, makes them seem like really unfun hellholes. I know it's probably confirmation bias on my part, but it just seems like someone made a club for all the sociopathic tryhards who can't actually hack it at the pro level consistently, and it makes me wonder why I would want to go to one of those things even if I had the chance.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

AgentSythe posted:

Here is a fun story about G.Fab from the last SCG Open, courtesy of The Source:

Awesome. Someone else also posted a story here about playing Fabiano and how he tried to get that person DQed for accidentally seeing the top card of his library. Then another poster here said that basically Fabiano is a known huge diva at every event.

So in summary, he sounds just peachy to play with.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think I'd rather deal with his stupid self-centered bullshit than blatant cheating.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

On another note, why does Jon Finkel constantly look like his family was just killed in a car accident?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

qbert posted:

On another note, why does Jon Finkel constantly look like his family was just killed in a car accident?

Per Twitch chat: "Finkel isn't actually balding, he just rubbed his hair off while in the tank".

Dude looks like he's on absolute life tilt.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

Awesome. Someone else also posted a story here about playing Fabiano and how he tried to get that person DQed for accidentally seeing the top card of his library. Then another poster here said that basically Fabiano is a known huge diva at every event.

So in summary, he sounds just peachy to play with.

yeah that was me. i talked about giving fabiano the benefit of the doubt, but afterwards when i mentioned it to one of my friends he said that Fabiano accused him of being a cheater for an easy win as well.

so yeah, think i'm more in the camp of gently caress that guy now

e:

Cernunnos posted:

I think I'd rather deal with his stupid self-centered bullshit than blatant cheating.

i'm not sure trying to get someone dq'ed is technically cheating, but i imagine being on the receiving end of both doesn't feel much different

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 11, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, has literally anything from Khans dropped in value, or will packs continue to be surprisingly high EV for a bit?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Dig Through Time has started to deflate from it's price explosion last night.

Other than that? Not really it seems.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Topdeck a fetchland, go to 3, slam-dunk a Zurgo into your enemy's face for the win. Ari Lax's draft deck is the greatest thing I have ever seen. :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Topdeck a fetchland, go to 3, slam-dunk a Zurgo into your enemy's face for the win. Ari Lax's draft deck is the greatest thing I have ever seen. :allears:

I liked Threatening the lone morph which Ari flipped in response. It was a Monastery Flock.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Can someone tell me why I should hate Rich Hagon? Because All I've seen of him is from PT coverage and he just seems like a pretty animated guy enthusiastic for the game/event.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

Can someone tell me why I should hate Rich Hagon? Because All I've seen of him is from PT coverage and he just seems like a pretty animated guy enthusiastic for the game/event.

He's a LOT better at the newsdesk than he is in the commentary booth.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

JerryLee posted:

Just about everything I read about SCG tournaments, and PTQs for that matter, makes them seem like really unfun hellholes. I know it's probably confirmation bias on my part, but it just seems like someone made a club for all the sociopathic tryhards who can't actually hack it at the pro level consistently, and it makes me wonder why I would want to go to one of those things even if I had the chance.

Because it's the most straightforward way to get better and have a shot at the top. And we prefer the term "grinder" over tryhard.

On one hand, all these stories we hear are a very small percentage compared to the standard "I played 9 rounds and went X-Y and had a good time and nothing happened between my opponents and myself" experiences. There's a fair bit of camaraderie, respect, and cheering for each other to succeed compared to the FNM level.

On the other hand, it takes only one of these bad experiences to ruin it for everyone involved and to sour one's opinion on Competitive REL tournament play, hence making Competitive REL the worst form of sanctioned MtG play w.r.t. amount of risk/reward.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Mr. Peepers posted:

Because he plays a role that nobody else on Wizards' commentating staff is talented enough to take advantage of. Hagon has lots of great stories & asks solid questions for the audience's benefit, but he needs someone with him who knows more about the game than he does. He just really can't carry a broadcast, which is a shame because I love listening to him with LSV or similar pros.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Hoooly poo poo. All formats (pretty literally, including 'make one up') are now FNM sanctioned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vanguard is making a return?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
New FNM formats!

Including: Literally every format ever made, and some other ones

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Except Pauper!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Zenephant posted:

Except Pauper!

If 'Reject Rare' is acceptable, I'm pretty sure Pauper can at least technically qualify via 'make it up'.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

FNM is now just Texas Hold' Em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Just about everything I read about SCG tournaments, and PTQs for that matter, makes them seem like really unfun hellholes.

It's a cliquey, toxic environment full of try hards doing their best to pull one over on everyone else at all times of course it's miserable.

• Locked thread