Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zenintrude posted:

Any word on a release date for Costume Quest 2 on Wii U or any other console?

Not wanting to bother with moving my computer setup to the living room at the moment.

Sorry, I flubbed the release date for the game. It's October 31st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ultigonio posted:

Sorry, I flubbed the release date for the game. It's October 31st.

Why would you release a halloween themed game on halloween itself, rather than like a week or two beforehand? Kids will be out doing halloween rather than playing it, and the next day it's over.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Fix posted:

Why would you release a halloween themed game on halloween itself, rather than like a week or two beforehand? Kids will be out doing halloween rather than playing it, and the next day it's over.

Because most of us adults that will be playing don't go trick or treating? :smith:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So I am now the proud owner of a Wii U! :toot:

And now I need to know about digital media for it. I'm addicted to not having disks lying around. The system has 32gb internal storage, so around how many games is that? And my understanding is I can use an external hard drive to store more games, hopefully without much hassle? Provided that's the case, is there a specific type of HD that works best?

I also don't need to be told anything about how Nintendo's digital media system works, for the record. :shobon:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It matters on the game. MK8 is about 4GB, 3D World is a little over 2 and DK: Tropical Freeze is 11. Nintendo recommends an external with its own power supply but I've been using a flash drive since launch and it's worked fine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should be good with any hard drive that has external power, and most that don't are fine with a Y cable and using two of the WiiU's USB ports. And if that doesn't work you can just plug the second USB cable into an USB wall adapter.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
And people have had no issues with external drives with a USB-Y cord to power it with 2 USB ports rather than an external power supply.

e: f,b

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Cool. I'll probably err on the safe side and grab something with external power, then. Thanks for the advice!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just played the Bayonetta 2 demo. I had no idea what was going on, but it was pretty enjoyable.

I died to the first boss twice though, and I'm not sure why. His health ran out, the camera zoomed right out but I didn't get the X+A prompt.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just played the Bayonetta 2 demo. Holy poo poo. Wow. That was awesome.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
That was a short demo but oh man! I'm so loving pumped! "Its not Christmas without caviar." I don't know why but I laughed so loving hard when she said that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It didn't even feel that short either, that was a pretty good demo showing exactly what Bayonetta is all about. A short tutorial, a normal level with enemies, a boss and then a MEGABOSS and it ends the story on a cliffhanger. It's a good proper demo.

Sadly I still want the Toad game more, so between that and Smash, poor Bayonetta is gonna have to wait til december.

That reminds me, since the first game comes with the sequel, is the story in 2 picking up where the first left off? Cause I kind of want to just jump right into 2, but I don't want to do part 2 of the story before part 1

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like the demo because it basically shows how you do stuff that would be an endgame cutscene or QTEs in other games as the normal gameplay.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It didn't even feel that short either, that was a pretty good demo showing exactly what Bayonetta is all about. A short tutorial, a normal level with enemies, a boss and then a MEGABOSS and it ends the story on a cliffhanger. It's a good proper demo.

Sadly I still want the Toad game more, so between that and Smash, poor Bayonetta is gonna have to wait til december.

That reminds me, since the first game comes with the sequel, is the story in 2 picking up where the first left off? Cause I kind of want to just jump right into 2, but I don't want to do part 2 of the story before part 1

It helps if you've played the first game story-wise, but you won't miss much aside from some references. I suppose some things will make less sense, but it's not really important. Besides, who plays Bayonetta for the story? :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Bayonetta is kinda nonsensical until the end, at which point I felt like the themes of the game came together and I actually started really enjoying the story. Still wouldn't tell anyone to play it for the plot though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You all should play Bayonetta 1 first if you've never played it because it's amazing.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I have a feeling playing Bayonetta 2 before 1 will be like playing Sonic 2 before 1. Sure, Sonic 2 is the better game but it's going to be so much harder to enjoy what the first does after coming immediately from the second.

Also you all should play Bayonetta 1 first if you've never played it because it's amazing.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
If you haven't played the first one before then yeah, play them in order I mean come on

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'll probably replay the first one just to refresh myself, since I didn't get very good at it the first time around.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

You all should play Bayonetta 1 first if you've never played it because it's amazing.

Oh, that's definitely the plan. I'm glad they had the forethought to port the first game. :getin:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Seems like a good time to pop in with bayonetta 2 questions from playing the demo. I'm super pumped on the game now.

1. Is there a way to tell which combos do more damage, or is it just "you hit more, you do more damage" type of thing?
2. Is there a difficulty setting usually? the demo seems kind of easy even after playing just twice, but I figure they just didn't put the setting in the early demo.
3. I was gonna ask if I should play 1 first, but that's already been answered.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

You'll probably get more answers in the Bayo 2 thread, but to answer your questions:

1. As a general rule, combos that have wicked weaves do more damage. Most combos strings will end with a wicked weave, and some even have two, but they're also much slower and more difficult to execute. Umbran Climax is your go-to when it comes to dealing out lots of damage.

2. Bayonetta 2 has three difficulty settings available from the beginning in the full game. I believe the demo is set to 2nd Climax (or Normal)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ugh, anyone who says the camera perspective in 3D World isn't an issue is a lying sack of garbage.

I'm on World bowser-7 (the one where you have to jump on the rotating smiley face cubes) and the camera is terrible. Even the super suit is uselss because it doesn't make you immune to falling into the lava.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario 3D world's camera is perfect so you're prolly just really bad at the game.

Mario 3D world was the Mario game I've been waiting for since I finished Mario World back on the SNES and was sorely disappointed with how bad Mario 64 was.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

Ugh, anyone who says the camera perspective in 3D World isn't an issue is a lying sack of garbage.

I'm on World bowser-7 (the one where you have to jump on the rotating smiley face cubes) and the camera is terrible. Even the super suit is uselss because it doesn't make you immune to falling into the lava.
How are you handling the cubes? You should be running up the side, not jumping.

That part is tricky but the camera has nothing to do with it.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Kin posted:

I found that level to be the worst one in the game. The physics for walking over the edge of the cube are just hosed and feels all wrong.

For most of the levels in the game I died maybe 5 times total. In that level I probably burned through over 50 lives.

I also think the 3D perspectives for that game are hosed and it is a really dumb choice to be able to jump out over into the background and die. Why surround almost every edge of the level in bottomless pits?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Mario 3D world's camera is perfect so you're prolly just really bad at the game.

Mario 3D world was the Mario game I've been waiting for since I finished Mario World back on the SNES and was sorely disappointed with how bad Mario 64 was.

Look at how terrible your opinion is.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The level structure of collecting stars in the 3D Mario games is tedious and bad.

The art style and music aren't great either in Mario 64.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Old Swerdlow posted:

The level structure of collecting stars in the 3D Mario games is tedious and bad.

The art style and music aren't great either in Mario 64.

Queue everyone posting their favorite Mario 64 song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As for art style in Mario 64, what art style? Its a very early 3d platformer.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Same here, except I played 3D land first and felt the same.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Look at how terrible your opinion is.
Just because it was an important game doesn't mean its more than mediocre. Even the worst Mario game (Mario 64) is better than all the other crappy platformers that were coming out back then though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Sunshine is the worst Mario game, eat it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sunshine : Mario 64 :: 3D World : 3D Land

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Bad Opinion Havers I T T

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hold on I have Things To Say about Ocarina of Time too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

Sunshine : Mario 64 :: 3D World : 3D Land

Sunshine was mechanically superior to 64 but had really lovely terrible awful level design. 3D World is mechanically more or less equal to 3D Land but the level design is about a million times better. So, not really.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Sunshine is the worst Mario game, eat it.

Sunshine was infinitely more fun than Mario 64. :colbert:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario 64 is the worst main Mario game. sunshine had better platforming and power ups in the form of fludd. Galaxy was when the "lifebar Mario" formula really shined.

Still they are all nothing compared to 3D world: the best 3D Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Sunshine was the worst because you can't do a running slide jump

• Locked thread