Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
You can't always ignore someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

My point in bringing up football is that it's much friendlier to those sorts of "If X and Y, then Z" deductions that you're trying to make than is baseball, in which quarters of an inch are the difference between dingers and outs. Bullpen overuse is objectively bad but it hardly means they're doomed. They just need a little luck tomorrow of the kind that isn't at all uncommon in this sport.

If you are still worried, remember that you have Nelson Cruz on your team and it is October.

"Bullpen overuse" isn't a thing anyway since relievers should be used to throwing back to back and then they have an off day on Sunday so using them all in Game 1 ISN'T AN ISSUE.

edit; Orioles lost the 1st game in the 1983 ALCS and World Series that year Kawalimus. Chin up there is still a bo7 to play :)

Asema fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 11, 2014

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

FoglyOgly posted:

It's completely true. I was there.

Ahhhh! Fogle I thought you gave up being a goon years ago!

Edit: I just want to state, the two guys Royals goons tried to get INSPECTAH DECK to watch went 5-7 with 2 BB, 1 HBP, a HR, 2 2B, 4 RBI, and contributed some great defense. The KC outfield is pretty good.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 11, 2014

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Kawalimus should probably just go jump off a cliff because life is piss and if you stubbed your toe it means that everything is just going to get worse and life isnt worth living

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

alpha_destroy posted:

Ahhhh! Fogle I thought you gave up being a goon years ago!

Edit: I just want to state, the two guys Royals goons tried to get INSPECTAH DECK to watch went 5-7 with 2 BB, 1 HBP, a HR, 2 2B, 4 RBI, and contributed some great defense. The KC outfield is pretty good.

But what are their chances of making the HoF?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kawalimus is expressing his opinion in Sports Argument Stadium. A lot of these haters are just mad because he doesn't show the forum the proper respect or post the right way.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

It's us, we're the grouchy assholes that can't handle the bat-flipping kids today.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
stop being mean to kawalimus

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Bob Ojeda posted:

Kawalimus is fine. I mean he's a huge weirdo but I have no idea why that bothers people so much

Seriously you guys are loving weird.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ungh that was a great game to watch.

This series is gonna own.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Y'all need to just picture Kaw as Bob Uecker in Major League. Just slowly drinking and saying how horrible his team is. It's really funny!

I should do that with the Yankees.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Hey guys, I just woke up from a 6 month coma. Who's winning the Red Sox/Yankees AL-.....:eek:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
All posts on this web forum are good.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pastrymancy posted:

Is Kawalimus more insufferable when Baltimore sports teams perform well or poorly

He's more tolerable when the Orioles aren't winning because he doesn't post.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

Groucho Marxist posted:

All posts on this web forum are good.

Way to break the streak.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Kawalimus posted:

I know about sample sizes and all but it's still a bad sign.

It's not really a sign at all

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Imgur now lets you posts giant gifs

e: the similarity to yankees fans.gif is unnverving

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

Is Kawalimus more insufferable when Baltimore sports teams perform well or poorly

When the Ravens won the Super Bowl, he was happier about seeing a cool bird earlier that day (to be fair, the bird looked really cool) and wanted the head coach fired

I know this isn't playoff team news, but still had to share. Jonathan Papelbon was the guest on ESPN's College GameDay today

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I had a dream last night where Brandon Crawford died right before the game started. I blame poisonous satanic freddy krueger hallucination dreamworld magic by the Cardinals. And drugs.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Rah! posted:

I had a dream last night where Brandon Crawford died right before the game started. I blame poisonous satanic freddy krueger hallucination dreamworld magic by the Cardinals. And drugs.

That's, uh, ominous.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

"Drop, BITCH!"

Clearly.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

R.D. Mangles posted:

Needs a massive gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU guy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Needs a massive gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU guy

literally on the far right

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That guy's hero is Jesse Pinkman.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The only thing missing is fathers teaching their sons the proper way to insult the other team.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Kawalimus is either a weirdo or a gimmick, please please please stop quoting him

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

zakharov posted:

Kawalimus is either a weirdo or a gimmick, please please please stop quoting him

Kawalimus is pretty easy to understand:

- He likes bird-watching and bird-discussing;
- He is Chicken Little when it comes to his favorite sports teams;
- He prefers impossible odds so that he can presume the loss is inevitable and any success is a happy surprise, whereas with reasonable odds a defeat would crush his spirit;
- There is (unfortunately) no convincing him otherwise on points 2 and 3, but bird-chat is a fun read.

OK, so baseball. Why is it that playoff stats are always broken up by round and not cumulative? I could understand showing both "current series" and "all postseason" stats, but splitting the Wild Card game from the NLDS from the NLCS from the WS is just baffling, everything is small sample size statistical noise.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Kawalimus is pretty easy to understand:

- He likes bird-watching and bird-discussing;
- He is Chicken Little when it comes to his favorite sports teams;
- He prefers impossible odds so that he can presume the loss is inevitable and any success is a happy surprise, whereas with reasonable odds a defeat would crush his spirit;
- There is (unfortunately) no convincing him otherwise on points 2 and 3, but bird-chat is a fun read.

Uhm... wow, yeah, what a... weirdo... glad I'm not like that at all.... heh...

quote:

OK, so baseball. Why is it that playoff stats are always broken up by round and not cumulative? I could understand showing both "current series" and "all postseason" stats, but splitting the Wild Card game from the NLDS from the NLCS from the WS is just baffling, everything is small sample size statistical noise.

I agree. I'd prefer the stats reflect the whole season, with occasional mentions of specific splits when appropriate. For example, when the guy's up at the plate, tell me what he's done this year. But if there's a halfway decent reason, split it to paint a more interesting picture--if the bases are loaded, what are his career stats with bases loaded? If the player has been on a tear (or a slump) since the postseason began, show me his postseason-only stats. But on Gameday and everywhere else, I'm not a fan of the stats resetting after the season ends. I'm sure there's a wonderful reason they do this, but I'm not a fan. The sample size is often so small that mediocre hitters look like sluggers because they took 4 AB's against Detroit's bullpen or something.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

presumably so that you can build stupid narratives round-by-round

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This movie was terrible, but terrible in the entertaining "Mortal Kombat" way, and not in the actually terrible "Mortal Kombat 2: Annihiliation" way. I would never say it's good, but I thought it was well worth the $12 and 90 minutes of my time.

Apparently Dracula: Untold is the initial foray into a series of Avengers-esque movies, only using public domain heroes/legends/whatever.

With that in mind, it makes sense that there's no attempt to tie Dracula back to any of Bram Stoker's source material. Really, the only thing that Dracula: Untold uses is this: there's a vampire, and he calls himself Dracula. And he doesn't even do that until the end of the movie.

Dracula: Untold doesn't take itself too seriously--it knows it's an action movie, and any dramatic moments are done sort of in the 300 way--just poo poo to set up the next action set piece.

The backstory gets out of the way pretty quickly. The Turks are a monstrously powerful empire and demand tribute from outlying territories. That includes Transylvania, where a young Prince Vlad is taken as a royal hostage as a small boy. The Turkish army conscripts young boys and turns them into 300-esque soulless fighting machines.

Vlad becomes the strongest of these guys, earning the nickname "Vlad the Impaler" and eventually retires from the army and goes back to be Prince of Transylvania. I'm not sure where the King was the whole time or why Vlad doesn't become King. That's not explained. There's an old man in the movie that's kind of a dick to Vlad a lot; maybe that's his dad. But he's never referred to as such.

Anyway, Vlad eventually marries and has an adorable little child who looks like (and actually may be) Rickon Walnutsbane from Game of Thrones. Everything is going swimmingly until he and his soldiers are on patrol and discover a spooky cave full of bats and crushed bone, and Vlad is the only survivor as a monster in the cave immediately attacks.

Vlad decides to ignore the monster and celebrates Easter with his family, but then the Turks show up and are like "Hey, I know we've been offscreen for 20 years but we want money and also now we're conscripting dudes."

Vlad tries to negotiate his way out of things but he can't, and upon realizing he'll have to give up his son and subject him to the same horrors he himself faced, he goes back to the cave where a vampire killed his friends.

This time, instead of attacking, the vampire has a little talk with Vlad. The vampire, played by Charles Dance, is creepy as all hell and has a massive tongue that he licks Vlad with. Apparently Vlad tastes like a worthy successor, so he makes a deal: he'll give Vlad all his power, and if Vlad can go 72 hours without drinking human blood, he'll be restored to humanity.

So Vlad has 72 hours to beat the poo poo out of the Turks. And that's sort of where the movie gets stupid.

The movie follows its own rules up until that point, and Vlad seems like a pretty smart guy. But after a brief scene where he discovers his vampire powers (Predator Vision, Super Speed, Super Strength, turn into bats, healing), he doesn't immediately go and gently caress up all the Turks.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since anytime Vlad's fighting Turks as a vampire, he's completely invincible. Absolutely wrecks their poo poo. Kills 1000 people in a pretty fun scene that reminded me of the burly brawl scene from the second Matrix.

But Vlad is powerless by day, so you'd think he'd press his advantage. Rather than going to kill the Turkish leader, he tells his people to evacuate to a monastery, wasting a day.

There's naturally a bunch of scenes of "the hero is suffering; he wants to drink blood and he uses the power of his silver wedding band to burn himself and remind himself of his humanity." You know he's gonna gently caress it up or there wouldn't be a Dracula. You also know he's not gonna gently caress it up until day 3.

Anyway, because Vlad failed to press his advantage he's stuck in his tent in daylight during day 2 when his people are evacuating to a monastery. They get attacked, and one of his friends gets killed before Vlad's able to race out the minute the sun sets.

Yet still he doesn't go and gently caress up the Turks. He's completely invulnerable but he does nothing other than yell at his men to ready their defenses. This, in spite of the fact he's been shown as capable of single-handedly defeating the entire Turkish army.

But whatever. Day 3 starts and one of the priests at the monastery notices Vlad avoiding the daylight and realizes "Oh hey, the dude who can now kill thousands of Turks with no difficulty, but only by nightfall, is a vampire." He confronts Vlad, exposes him to daylight--and to the view of his people. Everyone declares him a monster and are a bunch of ungrateful dickheads.

Eventually they decide "gently caress it; might as well work with the vampire," and decide to fight.

Vlad goes into the bell tower of the monastery and discovers that he also has the power to control massive clouds of bats, and wrecks the poo poo of the Turkish vanguard by just battering them with enormous clouds of millions of bats. It's really pretty cool.

But while all this is happening, the Turks have snuck some dudes into the city to take Vlad's son and hold him hostage. Vlad discovers this too late and there's a ridiculous scene of him trying to save his wife as she falls off the bell tower to her death.

His wife tells Vlad to drink her blood, giving in to the monster, so that he can gain enough power to kill the remaining Turks and save their child. This also doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's almost nightfall anyway, but at this point he's ravenous so he totally eats her and then has the power to control sunset.

He returns to the monastery to find all his people slain, though some are still in the process of dying. He converts all of them into vampires and they go and beat the poo poo out of the Turks and eat them. Everyone in the theater burst out laughing at this point.

There's a ridiculous scene where he fights the Turkish leader in a tent filled with like millions of silver coins so he's not at his strongest and his senses are overloaded. It's kind of like that scene at the end of Bloodsport where Van Damme gets sand in his eyes and he can't see Chong Li and he makes that ridiculous face and does the "I'm Van Damme and I'm blind" cry.

Anyway, he eventually wins and eats the guy, and his son is saved. Except all the other vampires he created want to eat his son, too. So the priest comes in at the last minute (no idea how he survived), rescues the son, and then Vlad declares himself "Dracula, Son of the devil" and allows the sun to rise. This melts all the other vampires and mortally wounds Vlad-cum-Dracula.

There's some weird sycophant guy that shows up and feeds the melty-lovely Dracula his own blood and restores him. Meanwhile, Dracula's son finds some not-dead Transylvanians to rule over and they have years of peace because the aggressive Turks are all dead.

Then the movie has its most bizarre twist. Dracula's still alive! In the 21st century! And wears a really nice suit as he sees a woman who looks like his dead wife (it's the same actress.)

He calls her m'lady and acts like a total creep but she somehow does not recognize him as a Redditor and seems intrigued. The two go off to have hot vampire sex or whatever, and then a restored Charles Dance is seen saying "Let the games begin," because apparently there's going to be more of these, and this was just the origin story to get Dracula into the modern day.

All in all, a very stupid movie, but it was a lot of fun.

Go Cardinals.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Spectacular.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Kawalimus, my man, I'm so, so sorry for doubting you.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Go Cardinals.

See I said a hundred times we face the Royals we're screwed and that's what happened.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 12, 2014

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawalimus posted:

Go Cardinals.

See I said a hundred times we face the Royals we're screwed and that's what happened.

You keep looking at stats and you keep going "how the gently caress" and you keep looking back in anger.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
oh poo poo wrong thread

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
it continued being the wrong thread

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well Royals, if you close this out you drat well better win the World Series or you'll have me to answer to.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Thanks for making Dracula Untold told.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
This is an honest question, but who do you guys think is the worse broadcaster of the playoffs this year, Tbs or FOX/FS1?

I'd have to say TBS only because Fox has the ability to broadcast on network TV. Aside from that in both commentary and interviews their pretty much equal in my eyes.

That and TBS was wholly responsible for a delay in Game 1 of the ALCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

This is an honest question, but who do you guys think is the worse broadcaster of the playoffs this year, Tbs or FOX/FS1?

I'd have to say TBS only because Fox has the ability to broadcast on network TV. Aside from that in both commentary and interviews their pretty much equal in my eyes.

That and TBS was wholly responsible for a delay in Game 1 of the ALCS.

FS1 missed several at bats that started and ended on the first pitch because they were busy talking about whatever bullshit they talk about

I would rather see a game with dumb announcers than NOT see a game with any announcers

• Locked thread