Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Is this definitive edition going to be just "better graphics plus all dlc" or are there some other changes planned as well? Mainly I'm hoping for real 4 player Hong Kong mahjong instead of the asinine poker mahjong we got in the original. That was pretty much the only real disappointment for me in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Why did you have to go onto some dumb gambling barge anyway? Mahjong parlors are legal and all over the place in Hong Kong.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Would've been nice if that trailer actually compared the graphics so we could see the difference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Graphics comparison videos are pretty much pointless due to compression, unless the difference is absolutely massive you probably won't be able to see the full scope of it; uncompressed comparison screenshots are really the only way to see it all for sure.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
That looks really great. Love the increased traffic + pedestrians. SE did similar pricing with the Director's Cut of Deus Ex. I'll gladly pay $15 for an upscaled version that includes the remaining DLC packs I haven't purchased yet.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

The Iron Rose posted:

Welp, it's been a fun ride, see y'all.

Christ it's an MMO the least they could have done was put in something for literally half the loving population.

Or was modelling the characters too expensive?

Well, they hired a bunch of Assassin's Creed: Unity animators, and...

Seriously, I'm super disappointed too. The one silver lining to the whole Sleeping Dogs Sequel As Multiplayer Thingy cloud was that maybe this time you could be a cool lady gangster. Looks like I'll be giving this one a miss!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Sleeping Dogs: Definite Edition is out, with a 50% off for Sleeping Dogs owners.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
gently caress, gonna have to get this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Aside from the DLC, how significant are whatever changes they made?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had a free key from my last video card purchase so I used that and then spent $15 for the Definitive version. Hope I like it!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

S.J. posted:

Aside from the DLC, how significant are whatever changes they made?
Not sure. The reviews are... inconclusive. The graphics changes are either minor or significant, the game either runs faster or slower and it seems there aren't many new, non DLC additions.

What I gather are the ups:

-more cluttered, alive Hong Kong. More people, cars, litter.
-Remapped keys to standard. E.g. RMB is now lock-on instead of "enter car"

You know, screw it. Even if it's just Sleeping Dogs: More People and quality-of-life changes, the price is not exactly steep. I'm throwing in.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Yeah, fifteen dollar bills don't exactly rain down on me every day, but I think I can afford this.

A busier Hong Kong is pretty much what I wanted from Sleeping Dogs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is more pedestrians a good thing? I was pretty annoyed playing The Saboteur because the sheer number of pedestrians, combined with a "hit a pedestrian and the resistance will like you less" mechanic, made it a PITA to just have fun driving cars around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The main story now has cop sidequests (not just the regular cop missions, more like random crimes). I just took down some drug runners by ramming the poo poo out of their car and tasering the dudes when they got out. :getin:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

OH NO MAN posted:

The main story now has cop sidequests (not just the regular cop missions, more like random crimes). I just took down some drug runners by ramming the poo poo out of their car and tasering the dudes when they got out. :getin:

Oh gently caress yes. This is what I wanted but didn't realize. Guess it's time to really buckle down on fixing my desktop so I can kick more Triad rear end!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think those missions aren't new, they are from a DLC costume pack if I'm not wrong.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Can one of you confirm/deny if poker mahjong is still in or if it's been replaced with something more like this?

I know it sounds silly but if real Hong Kong mahjong is in then holy poo poo I'll buy two copies. That was the only thing I was left wanting from the original.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I think those missions aren't new, they are from a DLC costume pack if I'm not wrong.
Okay yeah, I see those were already in the SWAT pack that was released ages ago. :saddowns:

Still new to me, though, because I don't have that pack. I guess it got buried underneath all the purely cosmetic or cheaty DLC and I never noticed it existed.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
The guy who sells Legendary (DLC) outfits to you is the Pork Bun Guy's Father :3:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Important question - does the game run better or worse after the upgrades? Iv got an old machine and was already burned once by a "definitive edition" turning the game from playable to unplayable.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Important question - does the game run better or worse after the upgrades? Iv got an old machine and was already burned once by a "definitive edition" turning the game from playable to unplayable.
Due to the graphical upgrades and increased world density, it runs a bit worse overall. That said, the annoying screen shake effect you got in the original when driving at high speeds appears to be gone now, which to me is the single best change in the Definitive Edition.

The worst change is that they've ruined some of the clothes like this not at all garish and horrible Couronne FUBAR hoodie:

(original)

(Definitive Edition)

The t-shirt with the dinosaur skull is also missing the dinosaur skull now, so I'm not sure what is going on there. I looked on the Steam forums to see if there was anything about this, but I just found a bunch of whining about performance or the price, people using "console peasant" unironically, and what just might the dumbest thread in the history of the internet (I'd say it's an obvious fakepost, but... well, Steam forums): http://steamcommunity.com/app/307690/discussions/0/619568192703064216/

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OH NO MAN posted:

The t-shirt with the dinosaur skull is also missing the dinosaur skull now, so I'm not sure what is going on there. I looked on the Steam forums to see if there was anything about this, but I just found a bunch of whining about performance or the price, people using "console peasant" unironically, and what just might the dumbest thread in the history of the internet (I'd say it's an obvious fakepost, but... well, Steam forums): http://steamcommunity.com/app/307690/discussions/0/619568192703064216/

I mean I'm glad the developers are engaging in the community and answering their questions about the game/the upgraded version, but there are some times when I think it's okay for the community manager to go "this person is too stupid to deserve a dignified response".

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Bought the upgrade and started the download before I left for work. Totally looking towards going back in the Amazing World of Sleepy Dawgs. I think I'll complete all of the races this time around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I mean I'm glad the developers are engaging in the community and answering their questions about the game/the upgraded version, but there are some times when I think it's okay for the community manager to go "this person is too stupid to deserve a dignified response".

Reminds me of the first time I got into a car in Dead Island. I sat in the left seat for literally 5 seconds with my finger on the S key before going "Waaaaaaaaaaait a second." Of course I didn't immediately go and email Techland to complain about it so I think I'm still not quite as big an idiot as that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bought the upgraded version because it's a good excuse to play through the game again, and it looks really good! Except for Wei, who looks a lot, uh... paler? He looks kinda sickly in cutscenes. Dude's got some clammy-looking hands.

The population density change is noticeable if it's actually real and not just a placebo, and the graphical changes aren't all THAT different but it's definitely welcome either way. Also, selling the DLC outfits via a vendor instead of just dumping 10+ overpowered outfit sets on you at the start was a good idea.

edit: Possibly the one downside is that the PC version assumes you're using the next gen console controllers, so I was a little confused when the game popped up with the Xbone's dumb picture-in-picture rectangles lookin button instead of the 360's back button. Other than that though I have absolutely 0 complaints about the changes!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 11, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So, Death by a Thousand Cuts. That's the DLC sidemission where you have the unbreakable golden cleaver and are supposed to cut your way through as many knife guys as you can without dying. Not too bad, right? Good way to grind some Triad EXP too. The objective has also changed in the Definitive Edition, there's now 30 guys in total you need to kill to complete the mission. Really not too bad, right?

Well, yeah, except now the knife guys are using poisoned blades and the counter window is really weird, so it's almost impossible to counter them reliably and you just get hosed up almost immediately. On my best run so far I've managed to kill 11 guys, usually I die before I reach ten. Guess I'll come back when I have all the upgrades, maybe then I'll have a slight chance of surviving this. :saddowns:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

For those interested in the definitive version, you might want to take at this Face-off by Eurogamer The PC video at the bottom made me decide not to get it, even though I'm a huge fan of the game.

I'm interested where the increased draw distances actually appear on PC. I talked about "fake/LOD scenes" before - which are especially apparent while in the sea and it kind of kills the mood. Would anyone with a definitive version with maxed out settings mind making a video of approaching Central with a boat from afar. Note whether the skycraper models are "off-model" as you appear. (At least originally, it appeared as you might as well have been looking a completely different skyline as you approached the city, it changes that drastically).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

OH NO MAN posted:

So, Death by a Thousand Cuts. That's the DLC sidemission where you have the unbreakable golden cleaver and are supposed to cut your way through as many knife guys as you can without dying. Not too bad, right? Good way to grind some Triad EXP too. The objective has also changed in the Definitive Edition, there's now 30 guys in total you need to kill to complete the mission. Really not too bad, right?

Well, yeah, except now the knife guys are using poisoned blades and the counter window is really weird, so it's almost impossible to counter them reliably and you just get hosed up almost immediately. On my best run so far I've managed to kill 11 guys, usually I die before I reach ten. Guess I'll come back when I have all the upgrades, maybe then I'll have a slight chance of surviving this. :saddowns:

I beat this by ditching the cleaver. The counter window isn't weird, there just isn't a 'takeover' animation unless you've unlocked the face meter disarm ability. The dodge doesn't offer any crowd control so you have to be on point to beat this. Ditching the cleaver will fix all of that and make this challenge pretty easy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can counter the first slash easily, but the second one hits me even though I swear I'm pressing the button at the right time.

Whatever, I'm ditching the cleaver next time. I was actually wondering if that would help.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hah, that's funny. I can never dodge the first but always the second strike.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So the Triad Wars beta starts tonight. Anyone get in/care about it??

Also I noticed that they've stripped the Sleeping Dogs name off of it completely.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Triad Wars beta doesn't let you choose which hard drive the game is installed to and since I signed up for it using a Steam account I can't ask them about the issue because their forums only allow for username/pw or Facebook login, not Steam.

:thumbsup:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So are the jobs added by the DLC also required for 100% competition? If so, any tips for those stupid Wheels of Fury Derby challenges? I'm having real trouble killing the required 30 cars in 3 minutes.

EDIT: OK, the "Cop Jobs" are required for 100% but not the extra Wheels of Fury stuff with the clock icons. Good because gently caress those Derby challenges.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What DLC should I be turning off if I don't want to bypass a shitload of progression in the game? I turned off the top dogs and high roller ones already but I want to make sure I'm not missing any other crazy ones.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

What DLC should I be turning off if I don't want to bypass a shitload of progression in the game? I turned off the top dogs and high roller ones already but I want to make sure I'm not missing any other crazy ones.

The Red Envelope one also gives you free money but it is, at least, optional free money you have to actively go out to get and not just dumped on you. That's the only other one as far as I can see though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

The Red Envelope one also gives you free money but it is, at least, optional free money you have to actively go out to get and not just dumped on you. That's the only other one as far as I can see though.

Cool thanks, I can just slap that back on later anyways if I really want the money but slumming around for money is much more fun in these games anyways

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just replayed through the SD:DE. Hong Kong has become a magical setting for me in videogames. It was my favorite part of Deus Ex, it was...the setting of Shenmue 2 (whatever you have to say about Shenmue, it had great environments), and Sleeping Dogs is a real gem.

The only thing is that I wish there was more "gangster poo poo" to do in the game. I like being a gangster in games, and character-wise, I think Wei does too. Halfway through the game Wei becomes a red pole, and he spends almost literally no time makin' that paper from that point on in the story. Even though I understand he's a cop who's not in it for profit, he's the head of the Water Street Boys at that point. You don't get passive income from the Night Market, so there must be some fun criminal activity to do to keep up appearances at that point.

As a minor version of that, something that wouldn't have taken the developers time to add extra missions, I would have liked to see the hold-up mechanics (way back) from Vice City in the game. It would have given you something to do with the guns you got in the open world.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

So are the jobs added by the DLC also required for 100% competition? If so, any tips for those stupid Wheels of Fury Derby challenges? I'm having real trouble killing the required 30 cars in 3 minutes.

EDIT: OK, the "Cop Jobs" are required for 100% but not the extra Wheels of Fury stuff with the clock icons. Good because gently caress those Derby challenges.

For the derbies, find an intersection without many side streets for cars to spawn on, and just use the turrets. If you keep blowing up oncoming cars in a timely fashion, they'll keep spawning, but if you let them get past you, they'll drive around for a bit. Most of them took me a few tries and I generally consider myself Good At This Game, whatever that means.

Yodzilla posted:

So the Triad Wars beta starts tonight. Anyone get in/care about it??

I've gotten in and I've found at least one other SA poster (and smashed up his safehouse and stolen his stuff - sorry, friend~).

Is there a better place to post about it? I'm not sure what is ~okay~ with the NDA and what is saying too much but, parts of it are really interesting and neat. Parts are a little alarming. But the vast majority just isn't accessible/implemented yet. It is a real beta, with bugs and lots of menu options greyed out. A lot of people are really pessimistic but I've found some stuff to enjoy. I'm also now one of the highest level/face level people in the beta, as far as I can tell. Given how awesome Sleeping Dogs was, I'm reserving judgment until UFG puts out a little more info/the beta progresses more.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Just got this on sale and just wanted to make sure that I can add back the cheaty DLC later on in the game if I wanna mess around?

Is this still correct? From http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Sleeping_Dogs

quote:

- If you've bought the DLC pack which includes cheats, you can disable them by removing/moving the following files from the game folder:
Delete these before you start a game, and never see those cheats:
1E6323E1.dat Top Dog Gold Pack
576E446C.dat Top Dog Silver Pack
AC8D6F78.dat High Roller Pack
E58008F5.dat Red Envelope Pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't need to do that anymore. Right click the game in Steam and choose the 'DLC' tab on the Properties menu to install/uninstall DLC at will. I don't have most of the DLC for the original because I own the definitive edition but they will be listed here:

And then you can pick which ones you want to use.

• Locked thread