Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

Instead, with the economy continuing to crap out under Carter, Reagan shows up with his shtick involving meaningless sayings that people bought into because everything was falling apart, and Carter was on the other side being the actual adult, saying how we could get off of foreign oil if we just gave it time, and the voters chose the illusion over reality. It's been downhill ever since.

In other words (as I've linked before), "When America found itself having a hard time facing the future, they looked for people like John Wayne... But since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan. And it has placed us in a situation that we can only look at like a "B" movie."'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

I'll be convinced it's more than lip service when he calls up Wheeler and makes him actually do something instead of "considering" the issue. I hate how federal level government is allowed to "consider" things for years at a time without even the pretense of waiting for an investigative report.

You realize it is illegal for a member of the Executive Branch to try to influence one of the independent regulatory bodies (like the FCC, SEC, etc), right? Like, people in DC have had their careers ended (Sherman Adams) and worse for that stuff. If that applies to the White House Chief of Staff, you bet it applies to the President.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

You realize it is illegal for a member of the Executive Branch to try to influence one of the independent regulatory bodies (like the FCC, SEC, etc), right? Like, people in DC have had their careers ended (Sherman Adams) and worse for that stuff. If that applies to the White House Chief of Staff, you bet it applies to the President.

Uh, bribery is a little different though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spacewolf posted:

Ike's final 2 years: Nixon At Helm

E:

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, bribery is a little different though.

Its only bribery when someone wants your job.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I don't think Reagan was any better with his foreign policy than domestic, considering the El Salvador and Iran-Contra poo poo, or the behind-the-scenes interference with the hostage crisis that hosed Carter up. Let's also not forget that they literally distributed drugs to inner city black people as a way of funding the Contras. So call me when Obama does something that evil, and maybe we can start on the equivalency debate.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Houston has annexation laws to combat white flight, that's where it's (size) growth has come from. You want to pack up and trundle halfway to Galveston because you are terrified of people being darker than the average Swede? Well now you are still in Houston rear end in a top hat.

Some of these fights have been hilarious. Many suburbs lost their minds when they found out Houston was coming for them.

Then there's the cities that were able to avoid it since they had full governments and are now enclaves inside the fourth largest city in the US. You can always tell by the roads and police presence.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1flR0LgwY

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Spacewolf posted:

Sorry, I was under the impression that what Obama says matters to Wheeler since as far as I understand he appointed him to the job.

It's not like the FCC even pretends to be non-partisan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

Houston has annexation laws to combat white flight, that's where it's (size) growth has come from. You want to pack up and trundle halfway to Galveston because you are terrified of people being darker than the average Swede? Well now you are still in Houston rear end in a top hat.

Yea it's basically the oil thing. We've been spending so long being the 'energy friendly' city (spoilers: just oil) that when that bubble bursts we're hosed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's basically the oil thing. We've been spending so long being the 'energy friendly' city (spoilers: just oil) that when that bubble bursts we're hosed.

Hey now, Houston is all into gas too!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Local governments can do that?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

In the south it's very common, though some states have more restrictive laws than others. Republicans have only recently caught on to the notion that they don't want their exurban enclaves paying city taxes so "those people" can have services they don't get to share in as well. The vast majority of the time it's developers getting cities to extend municipal utilities out to new tracts as they're built.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 12, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr Interweb posted:

It's common enough. If a community doesn't have essential services (fire, police, etc) and is next to the larger city, it can be taken over "for their own good." The logic, of course, is that it is required to counter white flight since those people are still working in the city, but are avoiding taxes and whatnot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

comes along bort posted:

In the south it's very common, though some states have more restrictive laws than others. Republicans have only recently caught on to the notion that they don't want their exurban enclaves paying city taxes so "those people" can have services they don't get to share in as well.

To be fair, Houston isn't exactly a good example since Katy, Clear Lake et al exist to be suburban exclaves that aren't ruled by a Black lesbian.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, Houston isn't exactly a good example since Katy, Clear Lake et al exist to be suburban exclaves that aren't ruled by a Black lesbian.

Well yeah it's mostly limited in application to undeveloped or soon to be developed areas, not established towns in their own right, with a few exceptions like Atlanta's annexation of Buckhead.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Those methods to keep whites inside the city seem pretty extreme. Do economic carrots like lower property taxes or whatever not work?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Technical Analysis posted:

I'm staying in Texas for two reasons. I'm a white straight male, so I can ride that wave out to the end of time, and I really want to be a part of it when Texas finally turns blue. As bad as it is right now, I still have hope that my state can be saved. :(
Ah, hello fellow obstinate bastard, glad to see another person willing to stay and fight back.:hfive:

On the subject of annexation vs enclaves, San Antonio differs from Houston in that we have (going by this map) 13 enclaves in San Antonio:

Of course, for a lot of those enclaves, the only way you can tell the difference between the enclave and San Antonio proper is the "Now entering/leaving [whatever]" signs; for example, Balcones Heights doesn't look any different from San Antonio proper despite having their own police force (but not their own schools, they use San Antonio for that).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those methods to keep whites inside the city seem pretty extreme. Do economic carrots like lower property taxes or whatever not work?

I'm not going to pretend to understand Houston but from my limited experience in City Government annexation isn't ever used as some sort of political hammer and anvil. Annexation usually happens because there's a neighborhood or suburb directly next to a cities border that's decided the benefits of being part of the city outweigh the downsides. Most jurisdictions don't allow cities to just reach out and arbitrarily annex a location because of politics. It's the least political process I've seen in local government.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The largest city by area in the continental United States is Jacksonville, Florida (the only ones ahead of it are all in Alaska), and they managed it by incorporating an entire county, which includes a lot of suburban area. Rumor has it the Jacksonville city lines grow a little bit each year, and will herald the End of Times when they spread over the Georgia state line...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

The guy who lost the governor's race to Corbett in PA wanted to do that for Pittsburgh and basically start taxing all the people who left Allegheny and moved to Washington or Beaver county because those areas are growing, first in population and now in jobs.

It is not popular to say the least.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

Most jurisdictions don't allow cities to just reach out and arbitrarily annex a location because of politics. It's the least political process I've seen in local government.

Yeah involuntary annexation is a rare thing and IIRC only a handful of states even allow it. NC's the only one I have any real familiarity with, and their laws are arguably the least restrictive in the country. Even still it's extremely uncommon, and pretty much only done as neighborhoods get large enough that they need municipal services anyway in order to keep municipal and county insurance costs down.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

So how does involuntary annexation work? Here in the Austin 'burbs, it's a series of patchwork MUDs and a constant battle between democratic forces one way or the other with lots of signs for annexation meetings every few months.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

So how does involuntary annexation work? Here in the Austin 'burbs, it's a series of patchwork MUDs and a constant battle between democratic forces one way or the other with lots of signs for annexation meetings every few months.

The specifics and requirements vary from state to state but generally a municipality's governing body votes on and issues a resolution or ordinance stating their intent to annex such and such area, and then there's a public notification and response period (which by the way, support your local newspapers because that's where public notices are published and you learn all sorts of poo poo from those) and in some states a public vote is held. It's not like a surprise where all of a sudden trucks show up to dig sewer lines and build police stations. The whole process usually takes a year or so minimum.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm a upper-middle-class white male lapsed-Catholic and I'm still terrified for what's going to happen to my state in the next few years. Houston's fixing to become the Detroit of the south.
Houston's in the middle of the largest boom it's seen since the late 70s and early 80s. The only danger Houston's in of becoming Detroit is due to all the cocksucking Rust Belters who keep moving there and loving things up.

There's some good stuff online about the annexation, but the core of it that's so great is that the people fleeing the scary city government hate government so much that they refuse to form their own, so then Houston is allowed to annex them. Irony doesn't get much sweeter. Kingwood was my favorite example.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

Houston's in the middle of the largest boom it's seen since the late 70s and early 80s. The only danger Houston's in of becoming Detroit is due to all the cocksucking Rust Belters who keep moving there and loving things up.

*some conditions may apply

I disagree, Houston has a lack of public transit and a downtown ringed by open air parking. While I don't see Houston in danger of becoming the next Detroit, I do see it becoming more like St. Louis once the energy boom moves a bit north.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, but you are a fake person with fake opinions and you don't really know or mean anything, so who cares, right? In devastating news, I accidentally clicked the thing to see what someone on ignore said anyway and I am ashamed. White Allah, take me now!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

fade5 posted:

Ah, hello fellow obstinate bastard, glad to see another person willing to stay and fight back.:hfive:

On the subject of annexation vs enclaves, San Antonio differs from Houston in that we have (going by this map) 13 enclaves in San Antonio:

Of course, for a lot of those enclaves, the only way you can tell the difference between the enclave and San Antonio proper is the "Now entering/leaving [whatever]" signs; for example, Balcones Heights doesn't look any different from San Antonio proper despite having their own police force (but not their own schools, they use San Antonio for that).

:hfive: It's great fun living in a blue city amidst a sea of red.

As much as I love my city it's these enclaves that are the worst things. The cops are the biggest part, as the biggest source of revenue for these little places is traffic tickets. And in San Antonio proper, cops don't give a poo poo if you're going 5 over the speed limit, hell, on a good day you can get away with 10 over on the highways, cross that line into Leon Valley or Balcones Heights though, and you'd best follow that speed limit to the letter, because they will bust you for it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

There's some good stuff online about the annexation, but the core of it that's so great is that the people fleeing the scary city government hate government so much that they refuse to form their own, so then Houston is allowed to annex them. Irony doesn't get much sweeter. Kingwood was my favorite example.

Kingwood is exactly what came to my mind when I saw 'involuntary annexation' upthread. But they did eventually whine enough to get the legislature to change a few laws. Not that it did them any good.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

My Imaginary GF posted:

*some conditions may apply

I disagree, Houston has a lack of public transit and a downtown ringed by open air parking. While I don't see Houston in danger of becoming the next Detroit, I do see it becoming more like St. Louis once the energy boom moves a bit north.

Are you kidding? Houston's public transit, and highways aren't great but they're loving amazing compared to Austin. There's a big expressway with 4+ lanes going each direction to take you anywhere in Houston.

If you think Houston's bad, try driving through Austin.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I just caught a political ad on YouTube for where the theme was the narrators were playing "Cards Against Insanity", each prompt card being shown was some attack on the candidate who was presented at the end as his own card. Except, I'm having trouble finding a link to it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
On second thought, this probably isn't the thread to argue about Houston's transportation infrastructure.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 12, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

420DD Butts posted:

On second thought, this probably isn't the thread to argue about Houston's transportation infrastructure.
I like how they literally built the train from the original Sim City for shuttling between Reliant Stadium and UHD.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Sorry, I was under the impression that what Obama says matters to Wheeler since as far as I understand he appointed him to the job.

It's not like the FCC even pretends to be non-partisan.

FCC Commissioners are independent term appointees, not subject to arbitrary removal without cause, so there's quite a bit more insulation between presidential desires and commissioner actions. Remember when the Bush White House pressured the EPA to decide the way they wanted them to? Remember the pushback on that? That's exactly the same as presidential efforts to pressure the FCC.

(And as I have said a number of times, Wheeler's telecom lobbying was a long time past when he was appointed.)

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kalman posted:

FCC Commissioners are independent term appointees, not subject to arbitrary removal without cause, so there's quite a bit more insulation between presidential desires and commissioner actions. Remember when the Bush White House pressured the EPA to decide the way they wanted them to? Remember the pushback on that? That's exactly the same as presidential efforts to pressure the FCC.

(And as I have said a number of times, Wheeler's telecom lobbying was a long time past when he was appointed.)

I will full concede the president shouldnt have any say then, I will assert that until I see proof otherwise the FCC is fully under the effects of regulatory capture.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope. If "hey this is in my personal and economic interests" overruled "those drat *slur-for-nonwhites-of-choice*" we would be a very different country. At a minimum the idea that universal health care is a cover for reparations wouldn't have any traction.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kalman posted:

Also as long as you find a former lobbyist that hasn't started to get high off their own supply, is removed from their previous clients by a good chunk of time, and has no intention of returning to lobbying in the future I imagine that they could be a very powerful regulator that knows exactly how the industry misrepresents numbers and selectivity lies to regulators to get what it wants.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
NYT have a great article showing how McCarthyism railroaded Oppenheimer:

quote:

Historians and nuclear experts who have studied the declassified material — roughly a tenth of the hearing transcripts — say that it offers no damning evidence against him, and that the testimony that has been kept secret all these years tends to exonerate him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "We don't have a jobs problem in this state. We have a work problem." ~ Scott Walker

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is he trying to deflect blame for his 250,000 jobs program not working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "We don't have a jobs problem in this state. We have a work problem." ~ Scott Walker

Worked for Ronald Reagan on several occasions to say this.

• Locked thread